Hackenberg is in the HOUSE!!!

The reality here is that it's a 2nd rounder. 

We didn't trade into the top 5, giving up 2 years worth of drafting, to take a QB that could very well be just as much of a project. We took a guy that once had top 5 billing, in the 2nd round, where we haven't made a good pick since David Harris.

The law of averages is due to pay off on us finally "hitting" on a 2nd rounder AND on a QB pick. We're due.

• Upvote 4

I for one would love to see a Franchise QB... We weren't in place to draft the top 2. After that its a crap shoot.  So if they had Hackenberg higher then Lynch on the Draft board why not wait and take him later and draft a LB in the first

• Thumb Down 1

Just now, Integrity28 said:

The reality here is that it's a 2nd rounder. 

We didn't trade into the top 5, giving up 2 years worth of drafting, to take a QB that could very well be just as much of a project. We took a guy that once had top 5 billing, in the 2nd round, where we haven't made a good pick since David Harris.

The law of averages is due to pay off on us finally "hitting" on a 2nd rounder AND on a QB pick. We're due.

LA giving up all that draft hall is a 'great pick' but the jets using a late 2nd rounder on someone who is more physically talented is 'big risk'.  

Just now, Skeptable said:

What is the alternative, drafting Lynch who is just as much of a project as Hackenberg? Or waiting till later and throwing some more darts at the wall.  Whether he makes it or not is not the question yet.  He has the talent to be the Top QB in the draft... not saying he will or won't I have my own opinion on that... Why not take a chance... we didn't have the ammunition to get Goff. So then what!

Well it all comes down to what you have just said.  You feel he is good enough to be a good pick in the 2nd round as do the Jets.  Thus it is the right  thing to do.  A number of us feel he is not good enough to justify that pick and would have rather gone with the 'make a later pick and throw darts at the wall' and use that 2nd rounder for a possible starter elsewhere.  Next year try and go up and get that more sure thing guy in the 1st.  (Nothing is a sure thing obviously.) 

As I've said another off shoot of investing this high of a pick is that you as a franchise are going to make this player your guy for a number of years, ala Sanchez and Geno.  Petty?  4th rounder no big loss if he fails, 2nd rounder?  Well he gets more rope, more time and possibly prevents us from getting that special guy for the next two years.

We all want him to succeed but for some of us he has some serious issues.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

LA giving up all that draft hall is a 'great pick' but the jets using a late 2nd rounder on someone who is more physically talented is 'big risk'.  

Or the eagles that already had 2 qbs... That was a great decision to give up all those draft picks

• Thumb Down 1

There's a lot to love about this guy, and a ton of question marks. I'm excited about him, most I've been excited about a quarterback since Sanchez (because drafted so high, and I feel like 95 percent of people knew that Geno was a horrible pick) so let's see what happens.  

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

Every draft pick = a big risk.

We're not going to know for a while if the risk was worth it... here is the reality:

Quarterbacks peak at age 29, although the five-year period from 26 to 30 is probably better classified as the prime of a quarterback’s career. For elite quarterbacks, like Peyton Manning and Tom Brady, the curve is obviously much flatter; for the worst quarterbacks, the curve is just as surely steeper.

From this article: http://www.footballperspective.com/quarterback-age-curves/

Hack and Petty might both be studs, but we might not know it for a few years. Hopefully not the case, but if we're to set reasonable expectations... this is how it is.

18 minutes ago, PennStFan said:

I think that is why the Jets GM took a chance on Hack. Hack will be able to understand exactly what they want him to do. He will be very impressive to them in OTA's and he will have poise to spare.

An analogy I would make would be to compare hack to a pro golfer.

Hack can hit a 350 yd drive

Hack can reach the green in 2 on any par five.

Hack can hit a 1 iron from the rough, in a rainstorm to within 10 feet of the cup.

Hack can hit a bunker shot from a deep pot bunker over water to within 10 feet of the cup.

Hack can make a 45 foot down hill putt.

Hack can execute a course strategy similar to Jack at the 86 Masters.

Hack misses a ton of 3 foot putts.

Golf is not a real sport.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

Well it all comes down to what you have just said.  You feel he is good enough to be a good pick in the 2nd round as do the Jets.  Thus it is the right  thing to do.  A number of us feel he is not good enough to justify that pick and would have rather gone with the 'make a later pick and throw darts at the wall' and use that 2nd rounder for a possible starter elsewhere.  Next year try and go up and get that more sure thing guy in the 1st.  (Nothing is a sure thing obviously.) 

As I've said another off shoot of investing this high of a pick is that you as a franchise are going to make this player your guy for a number of years, ala Sanchez and Geno.  Petty?  4th rounder no big loss if he fails, 2nd rounder?  Well he gets more rope, more time and possibly prevents us from getting that special guy for the next two years.

We all want him to succeed but for some of us he has some serious issues.

Sanchez was always a horrible pick because we traded up for a guy that only played one year in College. That was never gonna work unless you developed him... Which they never did. Geno had a chance but has gone through many coaches and now he is undesirable. Again I don't think its the same. We only drafted Geno because Idzik thought it was a value he dropped, not because they thought he was the answer. Mac drafted this guy because he believes he has a chance and now has a coach to help him learn.

• Thumb Down 1

45 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

I don't get it with this fan base. This kid is a Jet. It is done  whether you love it or not and now we should all get behind this QB and show him our love as a fan base. What's not to like about this kid. He 's got the arm and the brains and he's a decent kid base on what I am aware of about him . The stuff he lacks can be attributed to his terrible foot work due to all the bad habits he developed over the past 2 yrs  while he was running for his life .

Here's what I know. This kid somehow with little to no support from his offensive teammates somehow managed to keep the Penn State program from having a losing season under his watch . Under his watch, the program had few scholarships and very marginal talent  yet he kept the winning tradition alive . He showed toughness with all the sacks and hits he took and came away injury free  from State College . He displayed the highest character when he decided to honor his commitment to State College despite having options when the sanctions came down .

We have a kid who gives us a chance and all I read is how he sucks or will suck bla bla bla . 

Jet fans, show this kid some love and welcome him to our beleaguered franchise .  He offers us a chance, and that's what we all want is it not  ?

+1 

His fate is in Gailey and Patullo's hands....I have faith they can get the most out of him whatever that may be...

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Sanchez was always a horrible pick because we traded up for a guy that only played one year in College. That was never gonna work unless you developed him... Which they never did. Geno had a chance but has gone through many coaches and now he is undesirable. Again I don't think its the same. We only drafted Geno because Idzik thought it was a value he dropped, not because they thought he was the answer. Mac drafted this guy because he believes he has a chance and now has a coach to help him learn.

How much starting experience did Wentz have in college? I kind of tuned it out since he was never going to be a Jets, but wasn't it limited in some way.... and at the small school level?

25 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

How quickly people forget the Sanchez and Geno years.  We don't want another, hey lets give him a shot!  He may be good!  Three years of scrub ball later we are in the same spot.  Once the season starts and games are played everyone will will want him to succeed and be happy if he does.  There is nothing at all wro9n with questioning the pick right now however.  It's not personal, no one hates the guy  (yet). 

Also you can't look at any major front office move in isolation of 'oh this is just one player, he will work out for not.'  Does the quality of the player justify the pick?  how long are you committed to the player?  Who else is going to be gone becasue you have brought in the player?  All those things are factors.  A 2nd round pick is a 'starting player' pick. 

I haven't forgotten anything. I never liked the Sanchez pick and even more so because we traded up to get him . I wanted to stay put and draft Josh Freeman . I supported Sanchez  up until that day against buffalo when we rushed for 3 00 yards and he still managed to throw 5 INTs causing us to lose the game.  Fans blame Schotenheimer, but I didn't . When you run the ball that successfully, you should be able to complete a few shots down field and Mark was given that opportunity. .He found the Bills defenders instead proving to me what I already knew.

In Hackenberg, we have a QB who was forced to throw into small windows at the college level due to the quality of talent he played with and against.  He has proven to me that he can do what so many here thinks he can't at this level already and his footwork is a mess. The kid has the toughest part of the game down already, and what he needs to fix can be fixed in 1 training camp. I say give him the year off to heal, get his mind right and we have our long desired franchise QB.  We have a hard beginning to our schedule, and IMO, with or without Fitzpatrick we will struggle . The back end of our schedule is easier, and if we can steal some wins early, we will be fine. 

The kid is the real deal, Fishy, so get on board . If I had anything to do with it, depending on what Petty shows in mini camp and OTAs, I would not resign Fitzpatrick.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

I haven't forgotten anything. I never liked the Sanchez pick and even more so because we traded up to get him . I wanted to stay put and draft Josh Freeman . I supported Sanchez  up until that day against buffalo when we rushed for 3 00 yards and he still managed to throw 5 INTs causing us to lose the game.  Fans blame Schotenheimer, but I didn't . When you run the ball that successfully, you should be able to complete a few shots down field and Mark was given that opportunity. .He found the Bills defenders instead proving to me what I already knew.

In Hackenberg, we have a QB who was forced to throw into small windows at the college level due to the quality of talent he played with and against.  He has proven to me that he can do what so many here thinks he can't at this level already and his footwork is a mess. The kid has the toughest part of the game down already, and what he needs to fix can be fixed in 1 training camp. I say give him the year off to heal, get his mind right and we have our long desired franchise QB.  We have a hard beginning to our schedule, and IMO, with or without Fitzpatrick we will struggle . The back end of our schedule is easier, and if we can steal some wins early, we will be fine. 

The kid is the real deal, Fishy, so get on board . If I had anything to do with it, depending on what Petty shows in mini camp and OTAs, I would not resign Fitzpatrick.

Top rated QB recruit coming out of high school, Big Ten Freshman of the Year.  I guess he forgot how to play football his sophomore and junior years.  Or maybe it was something else . . . 

21 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

Sure he does, but I just laugh at posters claiming he will be the Jets franchise QB for the next 12 years as much as I laugh at posters who say he is nothing but crap.

For crying out loud, let the guy perform on the field before making any kind of evaluations.

A kinder, gentler, PFT! What happenned, whatever it was - I like it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PennStFan said:

I think that is why the Jets GM took a chance on Hack. Hack will be able to understand exactly what they want him to do. He will be very impressive to them in OTA's and he will have poise to spare.

An analogy I would make would be to compare hack to a pro golfer.

Hack can hit a 350 yd drive

Hack can reach the green in 2 on any par five.

Hack can hit a 1 iron from the rough, in a rainstorm to within 10 feet of the cup.

Hack can hit a bunker shot from a deep pot bunker over water to within 10 feet of the cup.

Hack can make a 45 foot down hill putt.

Hack can execute a course strategy similar to Jack at the 86 Masters.

Hack misses a ton of 3 foot putts.

So you're saying he has a chance? :) (to be a great golfer, I mean)

Top rated QB recruit coming out of high school, Big Ten Freshman of the Year.  I guess he forgot how to play football his sophomore and junior years.  Or maybe it was something else . . . 

Thing is many thought Barkley would be all world and look what happened. Rated# 1 by everyone yet Luck wasn't. You just never know..

Comparing Hack to Barkley who was better? They both dropped into their drafts..

20 minutes ago, Colgateman said:

To be honest, Hacks ceiling is somewhere between Matt Stafford/Jay cutler to Carson Palmer after watching a lot of stuff on him

That's what I was thinking, the kind of QB that can produce if surrounded with good talent 

• Upvote 1

Just listened to Maccagnan on with Michael Kay (who is the single worst interviewer this side of Craig Carton). They asked him about Hackenberg and the plan for him moving forward. Maccagnan gave the standard issue answer about adding a talented player to the roster whom they hope to develop. The encouraging part of it was that it didn't sound like they're relying on Hackenberg to be the future of the franchise at all, and spent a good amount of time comparing Hackenberg's learning curve to Bryce Petty's. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Just listened to Maccagnan on with Michael Kay (who is the single worst interviewer this side of Craig Carton). They asked him about Hackenberg and the plan for him moving forward. Maccagnan gave the standard issue answer about adding a talented player to the roster whom they hope to develop. The encouraging part of it was that it didn't sound like they're relying on Hackenberg to be the future of the franchise at all, and spent a good amount of time comparing Hackenberg's learning curve to Bryce Petty's. 

Ah, so Mac just said we just drafted another Bryce petty in the second round this time.

Welp, time to pack it up.

• Upvote 2