Hackenberg is in the HOUSE!!!

On 7/19/2016 at 11:47 AM, Warfish said:

The Geno Defense:  It was everyone elses' fault, not his.  His only needs some undefineable "fair chance" with "talent around him" and he'll be great, right?

Well, we have talent, so we should see some (appropriate) "right plays" this preseason when he plays.  Nothing great, just right plays.

It's not the "Geno defense". I look at things on a case-by-case basis. In Geno's case, the vast majority of his bad plays are his fault. In Hack's, not even close.

He's not some terrible player that we're just trying to find a reason to like. If you actually look at the film, he was running for his life 90% of the time. When he wasn't, the balls he threw we're being dropped.

He didn't have two year of poor production. Sure, poor stats, but stats don't mean anything. He made the right throws.

I know it was just a few reps at a practice in July, but before the siren went off yesterday for lightning he was by far the worst of the 4.  He bounced the ball at TE feet and fumbled a handoff.  I know it's one practice but for that 30 minutes he was by far the worst. 

2 minutes ago, aec4 said:

I know it was just a few reps at a practice in July, but before the siren went off yesterday for lightning he was by far the worst of the 4.  He bounced the ball at TE feet and fumbled a handoff.  I know it's one practice but for that 30 minutes he was by far the worst. 

He definitely still has work to do.  No doubt about it. Sure, he'll make some bad throws, but he has the intangibles, and he has the mental fortitude. He can check out of bad plays and make the correct reads every time.

5 minutes ago, aec4 said:

thanks. lets hope he keeps getting better ;)

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, PCP63 said:

It's not the "Geno defense". I look at things on a case-by-case basis. In Geno's case, the vast majority of his bad plays are his fault. In Hack's, not even close.

He's not some terrible player that we're just trying to find a reason to like. If you actually look at the film, he was running for his life 90% of the time. When he wasn't, the balls he threw we're being dropped.

He didn't have two year of poor production. Sure, poor stats, but stats don't mean anything. He made the right throws.

His game went to s after Allen Robinson left

• Upvote 1

On 5/1/2016 at 1:50 PM, PCP63 said:

I know it's hard to believe. You look at the stats and see the low completion percentage and overthrows.  You see a guy with bad footwork. How could he possibly be even a decent QB?

Stats don't always tell the full story. If you actually break down the game film, you'll see that he's really not that inaccurate. Most of his incompletions are due to pass rush, drops, and batted down balls. His footwork? After O'Brien left, the coaches kept making him switch his stance, making it awkward for him.

This is a kid that ran a pro-style Erhardt Perkins offense as a freshman. He makes the right reads, his audibles are immaculate, and he's very intelligent. Don't blame him for poor line play, and wide receivers that make the wrong choices on choice routes.

When you look at his plays, don't look at the yards gained. Those don't tell you anything. Look at the reads, the audibles, the progressions. If you do, you'll see that he's the most pro-ready QB in this entire draft. And our franchise quarterback.

Well, my buddy has been down there attending practice over the weekend,  he says Hack looks like sh*t. The guy can't even complete a pass to save his life. If this is our franchise QB, god help us,

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

17 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

Well, my buddy has been down there attending practice over the weekend,  he says Hack looks like sh*t. The guy can't even complete a pass to save his life. If this is our franchise QB, god help us,

Yes, I understand that he misses throws. Very well aware. No denying that. A lot of it has to do with his footwork. It was tweaked with too much his last 2 years. Even before the footwork issues, he certainly did miss throws. He DEFINITELY needs to work on his accuracy. But I'd rather have a QB that throws a couple of balls at a WR's feet than one that throws balls into triple coverage.

1 hour ago, PCP63 said:

We'll see in Pre-Season how far Hack has to go.  Till then...

On 5/1/2016 at 2:05 PM, CrazyCarl40 said:

Yeah. Totally. Good thing pass rush, dropped balls, and batted balls don't happen in the NFL. 

"Pro ready" QBs don't have to sit a year minimum. That's not how that works. 

I trust Maccagnan's ability to judge talent and he loves this kid. The mental aspect is where he is miles ahead of Bryce Petty, but he is not yet consistent physically. I hope he gets there and I hope Petty is the real deal as well.

3 hours ago, Mainejet said:

well if your buddy is the talent evaluator / GM in waiting that you are.........

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

The negative news on hacks throws that keep popping up have me concerned? 

Who is he? Is he the bill-obrien guy that had success at penn state or the guy that couldn't be accurate in shorts on his pro day?

very concerned hes another eh QB. I'm glad it isn't an issue for 2016, but he smells like a bad pick in August and EVERYONE looks good in August. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

Can we all pump the brakes on the Hackenberg judgment three months into his NFL career..jesus I swear there are numerous Jets "fans" that want Jet players to fail..thankfully the Jets finally seem to have a GM/CS that understand the word development

Four Signal Callers on the Roster?

With the addition of Fitzpatrick, the Jets have four quarterbacks on the roster: veteran Geno Smith, second-year QB Bryce Petty and second-round draft pick Christian Hackenberg. Maccagnan says that it’s possible the team will carry all four QBs into the regular season if it’s in the best interest of the team.

“We’ll see how it plays out over time in training camp, but it’s something we discussed, “Maccagnan said. “In today’s world, you really want to take the time to grow, develop and groom quarterbacks. Sometimes quarterbacks get thrown into the fire very early in their careers, but we would like the have the ability to invest time with the players and work and grow with them.”

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/Maccagnan-Jets-Heading-in-Right-Direction/93e4d648-0a5c-4d1f-8b75-79f5040003ca

It's a Red Shirt yr for Hackenberg  or at least it should be .  This is his yr to take chances, while learning the scheme .  Going up against what folks are predicting will be a top 10 defense, these young QBs should be making mistakes while exploring the limits of what they can and can't get away with when the bullets fly for real even in the preseason games .

This is the time to explore .

• Upvote 1

They will eventually have to give him a chance to play. That's the only way you can evaluate him. If he starts next season I hope they give him an elementary school level playbook which is run based. His first year starting he should be a basic game manager kind of like Mark was his first 2 years. The bottom line is figuring out how to win at the same time you develop a young Qb. That's one reason I like going with veterans even if they aren't franchise Qbs. As long as they're competent. I'm assuming Fitz won't return in 2017 unless the team makes the playoffs and he has a good year. And the team is willing to re-sign him probably with a raise. If we go 8-8 or something like that he probably doesn't come back. But they'll sign an experienced Qb like Hoyer or McCown who can start if needed. It could be Fitz too if his play goes down but he still has value and is willing to take a pay cut. 

2 hours ago, PCP63 said:

I'm a fan of throwing them into the fire, honestly. At worst, they get real live-game experience and maybe you might get some high draft picks. At best, they'll succeed.

Worked so well with Sanchez and smith, why give up on a winning formula?

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Kevin L said:

Brett Favre completed 52% of his college passes, and 62% of his pro passes.

Cool. I want Hack to work out for us. The guy whose career arc we have to hope he mirrors is Carson Palmer's. Palmer, after a good freshman year, was mediocre his sophomore and junior seasons before coming back and winning the Heisman as a senior.  

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Shadetree said:

Who is he? Is he the bill-obrien guy that had success at penn state or the guy that couldn't be accurate in shorts on his pro day?

very concerned hes another eh QB. I'm glad it isn't an issue for 2016, but he smells like a bad pick in August and EVERYONE looks good in August. 

Where are these bad reports coming from a fan and a person Maine swears exists?  

I read about Fitzs INTs every single day.  Hardly any about the others.  Should we be concerned, was he a bad signing?  

Smells like a bad pick.  Smells more like the shlt predicted about Pryor early.  We need to let it play out instead of predicting doom

• Upvote 3

From the few vids I've seen of TC so   accuracy is just off - no pass rush, just going  against air-the ball is not hitting the receivers in stride, even on short slants. Its making them slow down or lurch for the ball; really disrupting the route rhythm and making incompletions, INT's or PD's more likely.

It's a small sample size.   I'm just hoping there are some glaring mechanical flaws to correct this stuff and that the coaches are right on top of it. Because if it comes down to a feel thing, that's hard to coach. I feel like you have an inherent accuracy or you don't as a QB.

The fact that Cut Geno and Hackenberg is the franchise have each gained 25+ pages each, cannot be a good sign for this season. You'd hope we had something based in reality to actually go on about. Like, I don't know, Brandon Marshall and Decker's potential chemistry with Forte ... Or how many sacks the DLine will get this year. 

7 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Where are these bad reports coming from a fan and a person Maine swears exists?  

I read about Fitzs INTs every single day.  Hardly any about the others.  Should we be concerned, was he a bad signing?  

Smells like a bad pick.  Smells more like the shlt predicted about Pryor early.  We need to let it play out instead of predicting doom

Agreed. But, I'm a jets fan. Predicting doom is what we do.

the knock on him coming out was inaccuracy. I can't let that go. QB Accuracy is king in the NFL.  

Inaccurate ....."ball wobbles out of his hand"...arrgh ...the sky is falling!!..we're all gonna die!!! Get me outta here!!

17 hours ago, Shadetree said:

I believe he is the latter. The guy mentally is toast and no amount of teaching or OJT will fix it. Expecting it to improve in the pros where the players are bigger and faster, the scouting is better and of course the competition. 

for you long time jet fans welcome to our second round qb pick Browning Nagle the second

guy from a pro offense that was not accurate in college and had "big arm"

he is Terrible-holds the ball too long and is wildly inaccurate and not a winner either

23 hours ago, Mainejet said:

you don't get drafted in the second round if you "cant complete a pass". your buddy needs to pull his head out of his ass. The accuracy spread between a good NFL quarterback and a terrible NFL quarterback is fairly thin by fan standards.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Harlemnite1 said:

I believe he is the latter. The guy mentally is toast and no amount of teaching or OJT will fix it. Expecting it to improve in the pros where the players are bigger and faster, the scouting is better and of course the competition. 

So you have met, are qualified to do so and talked to him in length to know he is mentally toast? 

2 hours ago, kmnj said:

for you long time jet fans welcome to our second round qb pick Browning Nagle the second

guy from a pro offense that was not accurate in college and had "big arm"

he is Terrible-holds the ball too long and is wildly inaccurate and not a winner either

LOL!!  And just keeps getting better & better in this thread. Good lawd. 

Jets have the worst fan base. "Fans" hoping a 21 yr old that signed his first NFL contract 3 months ago fails. 

gotta love all the Nostradamuses we have here when it comes to assessing future QB play, particularly Hackenburg.  

One question:  Why haven't you guys been hired by NFL teams to utilize your vast expertise?  I'm shocked that no one has noticed your supreme evaluation skills to date.