Hackenberg is in the HOUSE!!!

1 minute ago, JetsFanatic said:

I don't believe the Jets will draft a QB.  They will bring a vet in and contiue to try and develop Hackenberg.

i agree although if a frachise guy is there they really need to look hard and see if he is the real deal.  it's well and good for mac and bowles to "develop" hack but at some point the developing has to stop and playing start.  they're not committing to a time table but it still seems pretty mamby pamby.

50 minutes ago, Persiussa said:

I have to admit i am scouting QBs in this coming draft but for some reason i still kind of believe in Hackenberg.  I think his potential is higher than any QB we've ever drafted since i've been watching the team but the chance he's going to reach that potential is low.  Maybe that makes sense and maybe it doesn't but something in me says this guy is gonna pan out.  On the other hand it's hard to tune out the noise and rumors surrounding him which is sending me to you tube to watch film on other QBs.

Let us know what you find.  When is your QB camp show appearing on ESPN?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Let us know what you find.  When is your QB camp show appearing on ESPN?

It's all in good fun, the more you know about the draft it makes that day amazing.  It also makes watching other games good because you want to see how the young players that you liked perform on other teams too.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Persiussa said:

It's all in good fun, the more you know about the draft it makes that day amazing.  It also makes watching other games good because you want to see how the young players that you liked perform on other teams too.

Heh, I was just effing with you.  Glad you have a sense of humor though.  Nothing personal meant.

1 hour ago, Tinstar said:

The organization knows more about Hackenberg than any of us, so what you're doing makes perfect sense . That being said, Hackenberg should not prevent the Jets from taking another QB in this draft or next year  for that matter .  You take the best Football players where ever they are and you do that year in and year out . Let's say the Jets  decided to take either Trubisky or Watson  and come training Camp, Hackenbergs takes control of the team and becomes it's leader . Lets also say that whichever QB we take, looks solid in camp and preseason .

The Jets now have 2 very solid QBs who another team might be interested in acquiring giving us assets  to use in the draft . QBs are a premium , and good QBs should never be passed over .  We have spent years doing this, and it's the one position we have never had stability . We have had a Pass rusher and a LT and a RB and a CB, but we have missed the boat on this position .

Time to end this misery.

Draft a QB every year and keep drafting QBs if a good prospect is available regardless of who we have on the team. Even if you have a problem child at QB, if he's decent, someone will want him . We have 32 teams needing 64 quality QBs and this league doesn't even have 20 .   

Agreed.  Take Trubisky or Watson (or whoever Macc likes) and then rinse and repeat the next year (ideally w/ Darnold).

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Agreed.  Take Trubisky or Watson (or whoever Macc likes) and then rinse and repeat the next year (ideally w/ Darnold).

What the Jets did with the defensive line is what they should do at the QB position . As a matter of fact, other than CB where you really need 4, it's the only position  a team should annually draft highly .

• Upvote 3

Not saying Hack is our future yet, however I think some people on here need to cut him some slack. This kid hasn't taken one regular season snap yet and everyone's ready to just declare him a bust or cut him already? Tom Brady was taken in the 6th round and turned out to be a hall of famer, so Hack still has a chance to be a competent QB in the NFL. No one can tell the future until it begins and we get to fairly observe through on the field live bullets.

• Upvote 2

Interesting. I remember hearing Jaworski mention this about Hackenberg on Sirius leading up to the draft..Said Franklin's passing protection schemes were horrible for a QB and that Hack would need time to be broken down and built back up..Kirwan & Jim Miller were optimistic

Goff never should have seen the field this season. Dak Prescott had a perfect situation in Dallas; for all intents and purposes he was often playing seven-on-seven, rarely having to lower his eyes. Goff was on the opposite end of the spectrum. Playing behind a line so inept at blocking that they’d start a tic-tac-toe game by putting an X in the top middle space, Goff was completely overwhelmed as a rookie. By the end of the year, he was taking the snap and looking only at the pass rush, a bright and garish warning sign that a young QB is on the verge of being ruined.

McVay oversaw one of football’s most well-designed passing offenses in Washington. But there’s only so much you can do if your quarterback doesn't look up to see it.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/01/15/nfl-divisional-playoffs-falcons-seahawks-patriots-chargers-stadium-dak-playoff-debut

via JN forums topic "Cimini.... Mac has an affinity for Hackenberg"

..Hackenberg was on Sirius last week & admitted his fundamentals, foot work got out of whack the past two seasons..He's been working the past few months "cleaning them up"..

Jaworski (I know I know..he loved Clemens) was on Sirius last week with Jim Miller & Pat Kirwan.  They mentioned how Hackenberg got the sh*t kicked out of him the past two seasons in Frankin's system, which Jaworski said was terrible for QB protection concepts--not to mention lack of OL talent, which will screw you up as a QB. 

What I found interesting and rare in today's "media loves everyone" world nowadays, Kirwan asked Jaws if Hackenberg is "fixable".  Jaws surprisingly said paraphrasing, "I don't think so..When a QB takes all those hits it then becomes mental as you're always dropping your head looking for the rush...But it is going to be a good case study to see how he turns out"

• Upvote 3

But, but, but...

Jaworski's list of necessary traits for NFL quarterbacks — consistent mechanics, great pocket presence, size, impeccable character — is a good test for Hackenberg. The quarterback grades well on the last two, inconsistently on the first two.

Because of that, most analysts believe Hackenberg will need time to develop. But will he get it?

"I believe it's absolutely critical, when talking about young quarterbacks coming out of the college level to the NFL, that you have not only a coordinator but a position coach who understands the intricacies of playing quarterback," Jaworski said. "Far too often, these guys are forced to play too early, they don't understand what's supposed to happen when they get on the field and they're never coached properly how to play the position on the NFL level."

In the NFL, though, the long view is limited. "Who has time to develop quarterbacks?" Gruden asked. "We don't even have a rookie symposium anymore." As a result, Hackenberg might not have a developmental luxury wherever he is drafted.

Still, Gruden said he can't forget Hackenberg's freshman season, when the quarterback threw for 2,955 yards learning Bill O'Brien's pro-style system three months after graduating from high school.

That year — and not the past two — is the base from which Gruden wants Hackenberg to rebuild. Gruden suggested Hackenberg could turn his smarts, toughness, arm strength — and, yes, snap-count volume — into a prosperous career.

"I think he's very eager to prove he's a better player than he put out on tape," Gruden said.

http://www.mcall.com/sports/college/psu/mc-penn-state-football-nfl-draft-20160425-story.html

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Tinstar said:

The organization knows more about Hackenberg than any of us, so what you're doing makes perfect sense . That being said, Hackenberg should not prevent the Jets from taking another QB in this draft or next year  for that matter .  You take the best Football players where ever they are and you do that year in and year out . Let's say the Jets  decided to take either Trubisky or Watson  and come training Camp, Hackenbergs takes control of the team and becomes it's leader . Lets also say that whichever QB we take, looks solid in camp and preseason .

The Jets now have 2 very solid QBs who another team might be interested in acquiring giving us assets  to use in the draft . QBs are a premium , and good QBs should never be passed over .  We have spent years doing this, and it's the one position we have never had stability . We have had a Pass rusher and a LT and a RB and a CB, but we have missed the boat on this position .

Time to end this misery.

Draft a QB every year and keep drafting QBs if a good prospect is available regardless of who we have on the team. Even if you have a problem child at QB, if he's decent, someone will want him . We have 32 teams needing 64 quality QBs and this league doesn't even have 20 .   

I like this way of thinking but not with the number 6 pick in this draft class. If you want to hit and hope like that then lets throw a 3rd at Pat Mahomes, at least we'll get some entertainment out of that. We won't see much entertainment from Trubisky.

• Upvote 1

What I think we need, truly need, for the QB position is a coach that actually coaches the players. Not just schemes or sits on the sideline. We need a guy teaching the BASICS every single day. Working on his mechanics, teaching him pro concepts, pushing him to be great.

Hell, I think one aspect that is never taught well enough is the escape/release of the QB under pressure. Rather than just taking the hit or throwing an INT, a QB well-versed in escapes can extend many plays.

I truly believe a system like R4 could work at the pro level. Gets everyone on the same page, and gives immediate, absolute feedback.

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

Interesting. I remember hearing Jaworski mention this about Hackenberg on Sirius leading up to the draft..Said Franklin's passing protection schemes were horrible for a QB and that Hack would need time to be broken down and built back up..Kirwan & Jim Miller were optimistic

Goff never should have seen the field this season. Dak Prescott had a perfect situation in Dallas; for all intents and purposes he was often playing seven-on-seven, rarely having to lower his eyes. Goff was on the opposite end of the spectrum. Playing behind a line so inept at blocking that they’d start a tic-tac-toe game by putting an X in the top middle space, Goff was completely overwhelmed as a rookie. By the end of the year, he was taking the snap and looking only at the pass rush, a bright and garish warning sign that a young QB is on the verge of being ruined.

McVay oversaw one of football’s most well-designed passing offenses in Washington. But there’s only so much you can do if your quarterback doesn't look up to see it.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/01/15/nfl-divisional-playoffs-falcons-seahawks-patriots-chargers-stadium-dak-playoff-debut

via JN forums topic "Cimini.... Mac has an affinity for Hackenberg"

..Hackenberg was on Sirius last week & admitted his fundamentals, foot work got out of whack the past two seasons..He's been working the past few months "cleaning them up"..

Jaworski (I know I know..he loved Clemens) was on Sirius last week with Jim Miller & Pat Kirwan.  They mentioned how Hackenberg got the sh*t kicked out of him the past two seasons in Frankin's system, which Jaworski said was terrible for QB protection concepts--not to mention lack of OL talent, which will screw you up as a QB. 

What I found interesting and rare in today's "media loves everyone" world nowadays, Kirwan asked Jaws if Hackenberg is "fixable".  Jaws surprisingly said paraphrasing, "I don't think so..When a QB takes all those hits it then becomes mental as you're always dropping your head looking for the rush...But it is going to be a good case study to see how he turns out"

Bullsh!t..Vinny T. had the same thing happen to him behind a garbage oline in both Tampa and Cleveland and turned out to be a pro bowler in Baltimore and with the Jets. He is probably the best QB we've had in a 3 year span since O'Brien.

2 minutes ago, TNJet said:

yep. also why imo '16 was a redshirt year..all part of development/building him back up..will it work? we'll see. but as MMQB mentioned Goff is already trending this way because he was forced to play this season. So few, if any, player especially QB, is ready for the NFL year 1. 

it's really too bad the NFL doesn't have a developmental league. it's really affecting the quality of players / coaches / officiating / play..

• Upvote 2

On 5/1/2016 at 8:50 PM, PCP63 said:

I know it's hard to believe. You look at the stats and see the low completion percentage and overthrows.  You see a guy with bad footwork. How could he possibly be even a decent QB?

Stats don't always tell the full story. If you actually break down the game film, you'll see that he's really not that inaccurate. Most of his incompletions are due to pass rush, drops, and batted down balls. His footwork? After O'Brien left, the coaches kept making him switch his stance, making it awkward for him.

This is a kid that ran a pro-style Erhardt Perkins offense as a freshman. He makes the right reads, his audibles are immaculate, and he's very intelligent. Don't blame him for poor line play, and wide receivers that make the wrong choices on choice routes.

When you look at his plays, don't look at the yards gained. Those don't tell you anything. Look at the reads, the audibles, the progressions. If you do, you'll see that he's the most pro-ready QB in this entire draft. And our franchise quarterback.

He couldn't even see the field with the disasters we had at QB this year. Thanks for the comedy. Now which QB are we drafting this year and how much will Tony Romo cost us?

• Thumb Down 1

On 1/15/2017 at 4:15 AM, TNJet said:

Not saying Hack is our future yet, however I think some people on here need to cut him some slack. This kid hasn't taken one regular season snap yet and everyone's ready to just declare him a bust or cut him already? Tom Brady was taken in the 6th round and turned out to be a hall of famer, so Hack still has a chance to be a competent QB in the NFL. No one can tell the future until it begins and we get to fairly observe through on the field live bullets.

Brady played solidly at Michigan. Hack regressed so much at PSU and he looked awful in the preseason. Not even practice squad worthy and he's our 2nd round pick. Keep him around 2 more years then dump him or just let him go but draft another QB this year and next year until we find one. The Ron Wolf theory. Hack will never play for the Jets.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Harlemnite1 said:

Brady played solidly at Michigan. Hack regressed so much at PSU and he looked awful in the preseason. Not even practice squad worthy and he's our 2nd round pick. Keep him around 2 more years then dump him or just let him go but draft another QB this year and next year until we find one. The Ron Wolf theory. Hack will never play for the Jets.

Herp derp. They kept him off the practice squad because he'd be immediately stolen.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, C Mart said:

yep. also why imo '16 was a redshirt year..all part of development/building him back up..will it work? we'll see. but as MMQB mentioned Goff is already trending this way because he was forced to play this season. So few, if any, player especially QB, is ready for the NFL year 1. 

it's really too bad the NFL doesn't have a developmental league. it's really affecting the quality of players / coaches / officiating / play..

How are you going to have a developmental league when this game already takes such a physical toll on players (including added exposure to concussions).