Hackenberg is in the HOUSE!!!

3 hours ago, Harlemnite1 said:

He couldn't even see the field with the disasters we had at QB this year. Thanks for the comedy. Now which QB are we drafting this year and how much will Tony Romo cost us?

Because he was 4th string and didn't get practice time.  Comedy?  Because some of you just don't get what happened? 

We get Romo and he breaks down, the fans who wouldnt develop a Hackenberg will be the first ones screaming 

• Upvote 1

The good news is, once Hack's footwork is cleared up, he'll be good to go. His upper body mechanics are solid. Cocked wrist, nose points up, finds the slot with his pinky and the seam with his forefinger, and achieves "zero" position with his shoulder.

So long as he just consistently works on his footwork, his only real issue will be solved.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I can't believe Dak Prescott survived an NFL season without going through a Mandatory Redshirt Year™. Must have been due to the carbon copy pro style system he ran at Mississippi State.

Because one thing watching NFL football has taught us is at each and every player is exactly the same, the situation they're placed in is the same, the talent around them is exactly the same.

8 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Because one thing watching NFL football has taught us is at each and every player is exactly the same, the situation they're placed in is the same, the talent around them is exactly the same.

Giving him the nickname Adversity Overcomin' C-Blaize. 

11 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Serious question, is there any chance that Hackenberg is actually the answer?

YES! He has all the tools. He makes the correct reads, he has damn near perfect natural look-offs, he checks to the right protections and checks out of bad plays, he goes through his progressions effortlessly, and he can find his hot routes when they're where they're supposed to be. He also has excellent upper body mechanics.

You fix his footwork, and we have a young QB with great mechanics, an incredibly high football IQ, and a rifle arm. Hell, doubt I'll make it, but I'll be applying for an internship with the Jets next season. Hopefully I can prove my worth and weasel on as like a quality control assistant or something, lol.

Not the greatest coach of all-time of anything, just a HS guy, but if my QB had what Hack had, I'd be a very happy man, and would most likely win numerous state championships.

32 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Serious question, is there any chance that Hackenberg is actually the answer?

yes Max , but this calls for something Jet fans and the media might not allow unless this owner has truly changed his ways .  This kid is going to do for the Jets what Eli Manning did for the Giants franchise . He's going to make some throws that make you think he's Aaron Rodgers and on the very next throw you going to scratch your head and wonder if he's Joe Montainya . What he does, is he makes the throws that you need to make that decides the outcome of the game.  Throw all that completion percentage garbage out the window along with the QB rating BS . That kid just wins games . Remember this .  With all the bad football he played his last 2 years at State College, and with substandard talent due to the NCAA restrictions, that program didn't suffer a losing season .

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Tinstar said:

yes Max , but this calls for something Jet fans and the media might not allow unless this owner has truly changed his ways .  This kid is going to do for the Jets what Eli Manning did for the Giants franchise . He's going to make some throws that make you think he's Aaron Rodgers and on the very next throw you going to scratch your head and wonder if he's Joe Montainya . What he does, is he makes the throws that you need to make that decides the outcome of the game.  Throw all that completion percentage garbage out the window along with the QB rating BS . That kid just wins games . Remember this .  With all the bad football he played his last 2 years at State College, and with substandard talent due to the NCAA restrictions, that program didn't suffer a losing season .

The other thing. I don't watch every college game so it's not like I saw him play much, but as was reported, he got sacked a lot, for various reasons.  However, he got up and went back to the huddle every time. These "soft" comments seem baseless.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

They were 11-3 this year, ranked #7 in the nation, and put up 49 points against a USC defense that has about nine future pros on it.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

raw

K6oMm.gif

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

They were 11-3 this year, ranked #7 in the nation, and put up 49 points against a USC defense that has about nine future pros on it.

Moorhead is now the OC. He didn't come to PSU until December 2015.

http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/index.ssf/2015/12/penn_state_james_franklin_take.html

December 23, 2015

With the recent firing of Offensive Coordinator John Donovan, Penn State heads into the TaxSlayer Bowl against Georgia with a new offensive coordinator and his new way of looking at offense. Although Joe Moorhead will not assume the offensive coordinator responsibilities for the bowl game — those duties are left to Quarterback Coach and Interim Offensive Coordinator Ricky Rahne — some aspects of Moorhead’s dangerous offense may still make an appearance during the game. In addition, Rahne brings a knowledge of the team’s offense that helped Christian Hackenberg break multiple records throughout the year. With a knowledgable coach at the helm of the offense and another advising and evaluating, the TaxSlayer Bowl may be the best opportunity for the Penn State offense to really show off its skill set with a potentially different game plan from what the Nittany Lions ran all year.

Moorhead was most recently the head coach at Fordham, the same college where he was quarterback in the mid-90’s. He helped turn around a struggling 1-10 team in 2011 all the way to a 12-2 in 2013, the most wins in school history.

Players continually praised Moorhead and his offensive scheme on media day, and everyone seems excited to learn the offense. DaeSean Hamilton said, “It looked pretty interesting. I saw the success that his other teams with that offense had, so I’m looking forward to it.” Chris Godwin also praised Moorhead: “He’s very passionate about what he does. I’m excited for the offense that he brings.”

With Moorhead having such a strong passing game at Fordham, Hamilton was also excited about the success he brought to the wide receivers. “His philosophies are really exciting,” Hamilton said, “and a lot of receivers, we talk, and we saw all the success he had. So, it’s pretty exciting to see what his offense can do.”

The major change Moorhead will bring is his spread offensive scheme, one that is very different from John Donovan’s. While Donovan’s offense worked well with mobile quarterbacks, Moorhead brings in an offense which is capable of working with both mobile and pocket quarterbacks. As Wide Receiver Coach Josh Gattis put it, “It’s a friendly offense for every position.”

Generally, the spread offense has the quarterback out of a shotgun formation, placing three, four, or five wide receiver sets to spread the defense — hence, the name. Often times, a read option can be used with a mobile quarterback, one such as Trace McSorley. With a guy like Hackenberg under center though, a pro-style passing attack will be used.

Although the spread offense worked extremely well for Moorhead at Fordham, the Nittany Lions are unlikely to use it against Georgia. When asked about Moorhead’s offense, Hackenberg said, “I was intrigued about the offense and everything that went into it. From what everyone thinks of spread and stuff, I’ve never really ran a spread offense in my life.”

So, if Moorhead’s spread offense (which gave Fordham a top-20 spot in passing yards per game and a top-four spot in pass touchdowns per game) will not be used against Georgia, how exactly does he fit into this game? The answer to that is the skill set and knowledge he brings to the offense. Rahne has already helped Hackenberg break Penn State records in passing yards and touchdowns, so a little help from Moorhead will only help Hackenberg even more.

Rahne will most likely want Hackenberg to stay in his most comfortable passing position — in the pocket. Moorhead may want to add a little bit of the spread to Rahne’s game plan to try and open up Georgia’s defense. Either way, this game will show more than any other this season the skill the Penn State offense has.

The game plan for the TaxSlayer Bowl will not be complicated, and it will rest on the shoulders of two very important players. Saquon Barkley and Hackenberg are expected to lead the offense under Rahne and Moorhead’s game plans. In what could very well be Hackenberg’s last game in a Penn State uniform, he finally has an offensive scheme and game plan which can showcase his abilities, much like the one he had under Bill O’Brien. Two coaches who bring dangerous passing games in Rahne and Moorhead will go up against a team with the top-ranked pass defense in the nation. Something will have to give on January 2, and with the new and improved offensive scheme the Nittany Lions will have, a top-ranked quarterback and incredibly talented wide receivers may just prove to be the difference in the TaxSlayer Bowl.

http://onwardstate.com/2015/12/23/penn-state-offense-praises-joe-moorheads-intriguing-and-position-friendly-system/

• Upvote 1

I saw many of their games, so I am aware of their record . Some QBs fit certain system better than others and the talent around this year's team is much better than when Hack was there . He had 2 good receivers and zero time to get them the ball . His last yr, his receivers were gone and the kid Barkley was a freshman being integrated into the offense .
Look, I get it, the kid stunk up the joint stat-wise while at state college , but he survived, and now he's a Jet  . I wanted him on this team and I'm happy he's on this team. I wanted him to sit the year out when he was drafted and he sat the year out.  I have nothing to complain about  when it comes to this kid and how he was handled .
If you do,  then do what makes you happy . It's not my job to make decisions for you or anyone else on this board .

A voice of reason. Nicely said.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

37 minutes ago, Freemanm said:

Unfortunately, Hack tends to throw passes at receivers' feet on screens. Aiming for your receivers' shoe laces instead of their numbers usually means that you're not a very good QB. 

It's literally a footwork issue, almost always from gun. Fix that, and you fix his only glaring flaw.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

I saw many of their games, so I am aware of their record . Some QBs fit certain system better than others and the talent around this year's team is much better than when Hack was there . He had 2 good receivers and zero time to get them the ball . His last yr, his receivers were gone and the kid Barkley was a freshman being integrated into the offense .

Look, I get it, the kid stunk up the joint stat-wise while at state college , but he survived, and now he's a Jet  . I wanted him on this team and I'm happy he's on this team. I wanted him to sit the year out when he was drafted and he sat the year out.  I have nothing to complain about  when it comes to this kid and how he was handled .

If you do,  then do what makes you happy . It's not my job to make decisions for you or anyone else on this board .

The bolded part is utterly baffling to me it's tough to really respond to such total illogic.  Everything associated with 'sitting out a year' or 'red shirting' has to do with working with, developing and getting a guy better and also boosting his confidence.  None of this happened at all.

I have a new accountant on my team, comes from a solid school.  I am going to tell him to sit in the corner for his 1st year sharpening pencils.  i am very confident the will be a much better accountant next year.

Even though I totally disagree with the views that sitting a guy out from day one is a good thing I can see an argument for that.  What I can't see at all, ever is the people that tout this and then also are happy with how the Jets have handled this player.

Next year we are going to go into off season work outs and Christian Hackenburg will be EXACTLY the same QB as he as at this time last year.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tinstar said:

I was with you until the bolded part. You have a potential franchise QB whose only glaring issue is his footwork. So what do the coaches do? They make it known that they will not address the issue until after the season. Absolutely ridiculous.

• Upvote 1

I think what he means is that's what they said they were going to do and they did it. I have no problem with that. We have no idea what goes on behind closed doors and what kind of progress he may or may not be making. All this hearsay and conjecture just gets people riled up. If you want to believe everything you read from an anonymous sources through the New York media then you're in for a rough ride. I prefer to let things play out in front of my eyes and judge it then. There's far too much unknown to jump to any sort of conclusion. I try to stay positive for my own sanity. It's imperative as a Jets fan.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, PCP63 said:

I was with you until the bolded part. You have a potential franchise QB whose only glaring issue is his footwork. So what do the coaches do? They make it known that they will not address the issue until after the season. Absolutely ridiculous.

If you know you're not going to be his coach the following year, why mess with something you're not going to put into action ?  Hackenberg got reps practicing against NFL defensive looks, and that's the only thing the Jets needed to do with him . His offensive coordinator for the coming season is the person who should take care of his footwork, since it will have everything to do with the scheme that person runs.

42 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The bolded part is utterly baffling to me it's tough to really respond to such total illogic.  Everything associated with 'sitting out a year' or 'red shirting' has to do with working with, developing and getting a guy better and also boosting his confidence.  None of this happened at all.

I have a new accountant on my team, comes from a solid school.  I am going to tell him to sit in the corner for his 1st year sharpening pencils.  i am very confident the will be a much better accountant next year.

Even though I totally disagree with the views that sitting a guy out from day one is a good thing I can see an argument for that.  What I can't see at all, ever is the people that tout this and then also are happy with how the Jets have handled this player.

Next year we are going to go into off season work outs and Christian Hackenburg will be EXACTLY the same QB as he as at this time last year.

You earn the gold star for consistency .  This is a conversation I have no interest in participating in . Carry on .

2 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

You earn the gold star for consistency .  This is a conversation I have no interest in participating in . Carry on .

I don't blame you as you have absolutely no answer for it at all.

There is logic and facts and there there is wishing something when all indicators show the wish to be not true.  Keep wishing.