Hackenberg is in the HOUSE!!!

On 10/3/2016 at 5:03 PM, RoadFan said:

Ugh.... McElroy didn't have an NFL arm.  Not even close.  He made Chad Pennington's noodle look like Jeff George.

No amount of starts matter when you can't throw.  Unless you can generate miracles and your name is Tim Tebow that is.

He was also a late 7.

19 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

If you know you're not going to be his coach the following year, why mess with something you're not going to put into action ?  Hackenberg got reps practicing against NFL defensive looks, and that's the only thing the Jets needed to do with him . His offensive coordinator for the coming season is the person who should take care of his footwork, since it will have everything to do with the scheme that person runs.

And if this guy gets fired after a year?  What a ridiculous comment.  You know the oc is not going to be here thus you just let the guy sit with cob webs on him.  And you are fine with it.  Mind boggling.

19 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

If you know you're not going to be his coach the following year, why mess with something you're not going to put into action ?  Hackenberg got reps practicing against NFL defensive looks, and that's the only thing the Jets needed to do with him . His offensive coordinator for the coming season is the person who should take care of his footwork, since it will have everything to do with the scheme that person runs.

agreed but Bowels should have stepped in at some point to make sure he got more practice reps with DBs.  The Jets did a disservice to both Hack and Petty IMO by not letting them practice or only giving them 1 or 2 reps for the sake of Geno.  He should have opened more playing fields up at practice or something.

34 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

As far as I know he is still on the staff (unless his contract has expired?)..Perhaps he has been & will continue to work with the QBs in some capacity. Of course, the new OC could let him go if he wants to bring in his own O guys.

Robby Brown returns for his second NFL season and second with the Jets as the team’s quality control–offense coach. In his first NFL season, Brown reunited with offensive coordinator Chan Gailey, whom he played for in his two seasons at Georgia Tech, as the Green & White set franchise marks for total offense (5,925), passing offense (4,057) and pass completions (362).

Prior to joining the Jets, Brown coached in the collegiate ranks for 10 seasons, working at South Alabama, Northwestern State, Valdosta State, Henderson State, Southwest Baptist and Troy.

As offensive coordinator for Valdosta State in 2012, Brown helped the team capture the NCAA Division II National Championship while averaging 469 yards and 40 points per game.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/team/coaches/robby-brown/844e9825-7ca1-4555-8f90-e3aa3a349ff8

43 minutes ago, PCP63 said:

I was with you until the bolded part. You have a potential franchise QB whose only glaring issue is his footwork. So what do the coaches do? They make it known that they will not address the issue until after the season. Absolutely ridiculous.

And neither OC or QB coach is still here.

16 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I challenge anyone to name a successful NFL QB, throughout history, that played two consecutive years of bad college football.

Good luck...

I'll briefly play along..Define "bad"..I see 2015 w/16 TDs & 6 INTs..QBR 123..

They finished 7-6, losing their last 4 (including their bowl game vs UGA) after starting out winning 7 of 9

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/christian-hackenberg-player-stats

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Freemanm said:

Unfortunately, Hack tends to throw passes at receivers' feet on screens. Aiming for your receivers' shoe laces instead of their numbers usually means that you're not a very good QB. 

Do you have video to back that up, or is it just an uninformed opinion?

2 hours ago, PCP63 said:

It's literally a footwork issue, almost always from gun. Fix that, and you fix his only glaring flaw.

True, he went from an elite coach to one of the dumbest OCs ever that actually taught and insisted on bad mechanics. Watch the Gruden show and there is a pre draft video that goes through tape on why he is an elite prospect that is awesome. We just have the dumbest HC in relation to QBs in the entire NFL.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, C Mart said:

I'll briefly play along..Define "bad"..I see 2015 w/16 TDs & 6 INTs..QBR 123..

They finished 7-6, losing their last 4 (including their bowl game vs UGA) after starting out winning 7 of 9

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/christian-hackenberg-player-stats

Not what I had in mind... but OK.

Stats... really?  I can play that game...

How about Hack's 53.5% completion rate? I looked it up.  He was not even in the top 100 college QBs for 2015.  The list didn't even reach his name.

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/player-stat/completion-percentage?season_id=113

Hackenberg's film is poor.  There is no debate.  It is almost universally accepted. 

Please try directly answering my challenge.  I will rephrase; Find a successful NFL QB that was mostly poor in college.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

How about Hack's 53.5% completion rate? I looked it up.  He was not even in the top 100 college QBs for 2015.  The list didn't even reach his name.

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/player-stat/completion-percentage?season_id=113

Hackenberg's film is poor.  There is no debate.  It is almost universally accepted. 

Please try directly answering my challenge.  I will rephrase; Find a successful NFL QB that was mostly poor in college.

What were Kurt Warner stats like? I can't track them down...

14 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

All I read on here is the completion % so I added a few more stats that nobody mentions...

Define poor?!?!  Was 2013 poor? was 2015 poor? 2014 stats look "poor".

Again, people are basing his college career like he was at an Alabama, Oh State for 3 yrs..He wasn't. PSU had reduced scholarships, sanctions, etc...2 of their starting OL were converted DL.

Again, not saying he's the answer but there's more to his college career than compl %, TD/INT, film etc..

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

The film shows me a potential franchise QB. I'd get fired taking him with my first. No doubt.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RoadFan said:

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/brett-favre-1.html

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, PCP63 said:

Herp derp. They kept him off the practice squad because he'd be immediately stolen.

Maybe or maybe not. But the way they scouted him before the draft if the Jets didn't draft him he might have went in the 6-7 round or UDFA. He's extremely damage goods and people kept blaming Franklin the coach at Penn State. But he was validated by Hack's replacement, a top 5 ranking and a Rose Bowl appearance.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, C Mart said:

All I read on here is the completion % so I added a few more stats that nobody mentions...

Define poor?!?!  Was 2013 poor? was 2015 poor? 2014 stats look "poor".

Again, people are basing his college career like he was at an Alabama, Oh State for 3 yrs..He wasn't. PSU had reduced scholarships, sanctions, etc...2 of their starting OL were converted DL.

Again, not saying he's the answer but there's more to his college career than compl %, TD/INT, film etc..

You are using the logic that his team was inferior to their opponents and that is why he was bad.  How is that any different with the Jets?

2 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Oh man this was hard to track down but Kurt Warner didn't start till he was a senior in division I-AA. He did win conference player of the year but only had a completion rate of 57%.

I win.

Screen Shot 2017-01-16 at 21.10.43.png

Rehash:

A coach said "he couldn't hit the ocean." 

A player asked if he was worth a 2nd round pick rolled his eyes and said he "he'll never make it."

He bounced a pass in warm-ups from 10 yards away.  I wouldn't bounce a 10 yard pass if I threw it right handed.  I am a lefty. 

Courtesy of Beerfish:  Hack's 35% completion rate in back-to-back pre-season games.

Ominous signs, fellas.  Ominous signs.

1 minute ago, Lray said:

Oh man this was hard to track down but Kurt Warner didn't start till he was a senior in division I-AA. He did win conference player of the year but only had a completion rate of 57%.

I win.

Screen Shot 2017-01-16 at 21.10.43.png

I'm not sure you "win" when someone asks you to name a poor college QB who succeeded in the Pros and you name the "conference player of the year."

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RoadFan said:

Rehash:

A player asked if he was worth a 2nd round pick rolled his eyes and said he "he'll never make it."

He bounced a pass in warm-ups from 10 yards away.  I wouldn't bounce a 10 yard pass if I threw it right handed.  I am a lefty. 

Not to mention his epically bad preseason games.  35% in back to back games when all you are trying to do is get players the ball?

2 minutes ago, Pcola said:

You are using the logic that his team was inferior to their opponents and that is why he was bad.  How is that any different with the Jets?

for 1 thing I don't anticipate the Jets making Simon & Mo Wilk starting OL this season...Again, it's not an absolute situation.

3 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Rehash:

Rehash

And a scout said he looked like a top 5 pick entering 2015..

"I think he is easily a top-five pick," an NFL scout told ESPN

The scout who spoke to ESPN didn't indicate whether Hackenberg might enter the draft in 2016 or 2017, but based on his 2014 season, a full four years of college might be best. Penn State coach James Franklin, for one, bristles about criticism of his quarterback. Behind miserably poor pass protection, Hackenberg was sacked 44 times last year and had an inexperienced group of wide receivers, as well.

"It's important to keep in mind the unique situation he was in," Franklin told ESPN. "He was a true sophomore, 19 years old, but he's looking around and he's the most experienced guy in the huddle. Now you add in a lack of a running game and a lack of protection -- that's a lot to carry on your shoulders."

So is the projection of being a top-five NFL draft pick.

At 6-foot-4 and 230 pounds, Hackenberg has the frame NFL teams desire at the position and he has the arm strength to match any quarterback in the country. With the right physical traits already in place, he just has to concern himself with performance.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000506682/article/scout-christian-hackenberg-easily-a-topfive-nfl-draft-pick

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, gEYno said:

I'm not sure you "win" when someone asks you to name a poor college QB who succeeded in the Pros and you name the "conference player of the year."

A player who couldn't win the starting job in small school until his senior year. I had never even heard of the "Gateway Conference". I don't think you understand the rules of the game and are just bitter that you couldn't think of one yourself.

5 minutes ago, C Mart said:

for all those who love to base success on compl %..Eli #1 pick in draft after a 4 yr college career his 1st two NFL seasons compl %

2004 Rookie Yr : 48.2%

2005 2nd Yr: 52.8% 

he was at 56% when they won the SB in 2007 but Eli isn't great and comp % can be very overrated.

19 minutes ago, C Mart said:

for all those who love to base success on compl %..Eli #1 pick in draft after a 4 yr college career his 1st two NFL seasons compl %

2004 Rookie Yr : 48.2%

2005 2nd Yr: 52.8% 

Whoa... YOU started the stats thing.  I am an eyeball test guy. Hence my continued criticism of Pryor last season when others erroneously thought he was playing well.