Hackenberg is in the HOUSE!!!

We will find a way to screw it up and win 1 fluke game to miss out on Darnold

The absolute best thing about this is that some people were suggesting we tank the season for a chance at Hackenburg ... seriously ... then he proceeded to fall off a cliff that college season apparently due to what happened to the coaching staff.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

On 1/31/2017 at 2:52 PM, Adoni Beast said:

If Morton brings the same Saints offense that Payton runs, I can't see Hackenberg succeeding. A lot of that offense is based off of short and intermediate underneath routes, before opening up for the deep throws. 

But without completing those short ones, the deep ball threat is nullified. Hackenbergs weakness are these short and underneath quick timing throws. His strenghs are suited to the BB/O'Brien system, which is why I thought we were going to hire Godsey.

Petty has a better shot to flourish in this system than Hack does. Jury is still out, I hope for the best with Hackenberg because he really has all the tools, but don't know if he'll be able to put it together.

Also, mabe Morton doesn't even bring that same exact system as Nola. Just food for thought.

He only struggles with short accuracy because of bad footwork reinforced by Franklin, and just flat-out lazy footwork in shotgun.

Put Hack where he belongs: under center.

1 hour ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Now that we got that stupid Super Bowl out of the way we can get back to discussing our franchise quarterback!

Just think, in 17 years the entire world will be hating us as much as the Pats right now after Hack wins his seventh championship!

7?  I think Hack wins 10 Duper Bowls with Petty doing a JeffHostetler and winning the 11th when he gets injured

• 1 month later...
On February 4, 2017 at 4:20 AM, Dunnie said:

The absolute best thing about this is that some people were suggesting we tank the season for a chance at Hackenburg ... seriously ... then he proceeded to fall off a cliff that college season apparently due to what happened to the coaching staff.

Same posters here who think Hack has any shot at being even decent are the same ones who wanted Paxton Lynch who is almost as bad

• Thumb Down 3

On 1/31/2017 at 1:38 PM, Persiussa said:

Absolutely no one saw dak Prescott coming. That's why he was a 4th round pick. The fact that he ended up being a natural doesn't change the fact that college qbs need to learn to read nfl defenses. They got lucky. He didn't know how to do it before he got there. 

Ad a matter of fact dak is a great example of why we can't judge guys before they get a chance. 

Also, most rookie QB's aren't playing behind the best offensive line in football with the best running back in football while throwing to 3x Pro Bowler at WR and a Hall of Famer at tight end.

As far as NFL QB's are concerned, Dak was born on third base and everyone is acting like he hit a triple to get there. 

Boomer Esiason: Christian Hackenberg years away from being ready for Jets

The Jets are in a weird place, because they have a bunch of quarterbacks they don't want and/or can't really use. Ryan Fitzpatrick is the nominal starter, but he has a sprained MCL that could send him back to the bench

Geno Smith would be the logical replacement for a floundering offense, but he's out for the year with a torn ACL suffered in his first start of the season. That pretty much leaves it up to Bryce Petty to save the day, which isn't comforting.

The other option would be 2016 second-round pick Christian Hackenberg, but according to Boomer Esiason on CBS Sports Network's "NFL Monday QB," Hackenberg is "years away" from being prepared to play. 

"The fans want Bryce Petty. They're tired of seeing the interceptions. ... It is Bryce Petty time," Esiason said. "Christian Hackenberg, I am being told, is still years away from being ready. I don't know why you would draft him in the second round. That's a whole other question and discussion. At the end of the day, the career for Ryan Fitzpatrick as a Jet quarterback is really coming to an end."

The season is basically a wrap for the Jets. They just lost to the Dolphins and find themselves at 3-6. They're staring up at everyone in the AFC East standings and there's no potential for a Hail Mary run at a division title because of mediocrity (see: the AFC South). The Patriots are pretty much a lock to win the division at 7-1. 

So the Jets have to hand reins to Petty, a second-year quarterback the Jets clearly weren't comfortable using as a primary option at any point this season. 

It's an admission of where the Jets are both overall and at the quarterback position. They simply have to take time and evaluate the young talent they have. 

Certainly, as Steve Beuerlein pointed out, there's nothing about Fitzpatrick that should make you want to go back to him at this point, either. 

"Where are they going with him right now? The interceptions yesterday were terrible interceptions," Beuerlein said on "NFL Monday QB." "Obviously [it was] very, very costly. (They) took points off the board. Both were in the red zone. [They were] inexcusable type of turnovers for a quarterback with his experience. I think it's about time they get a look at Bryce Petty with this 3-6 team."

Or evaluate the young talent that can get on the field -- the Hackenberg thing is a major-league nightmare. If you use a second-round pick on a quarterback and can't even put him on the field to find out if he's capable of making some plays, it feels like you've already set fire to a pick.

• Upvote 1

On 1/31/2017 at 1:50 PM, Beerfish said:

It's your job as a gm and talent elevator to be right on key issues like QBs.  If others are right and you are not right about QBs you are out of a job after a few years.

And most were wrong about Dak

On 1/31/2017 at 0:16 PM, thadude said:

Well Dak Prescott can read defenses while this pos Hack throws pick 6's in practice to practice squad losers

Hack should be cut

Oh yeah such a smart ******* idea!! Let's cut our 2nd round pick before he even plays a meaningful down. You want to talk about wasting draft picks, well that's how you do it genius.  In a situation where we have no one on the roster at QB beside those two you want to cut one of them LOL. This guy.. smh

On 1/31/2017 at 1:50 PM, Beerfish said:

It's your job as a gm and talent elevator to be right on key issues like QBs.  If others are right and you are not right about QBs you are out of a job after a few years.

Take a look at the list of QBs picked in the first round over the last ten or fifteen years and see how often (not very) the professional evaluators were right (rarely) in their QB evaluations.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, 20andOut said:

Take a look at the list of QBs picked in the first round over the last ten or fifteen years and see how often (not very) the professional evaluators were right (rarely) in their QB evaluations.

You are so right..

Hence you must take a QB with the intent of developing him something the Jets are attempting to do....

• Upvote 1

And this thought could be why so many QBs bust..Some, most, aren't ready for the most demanding position on a NFL football field. 
1) NOBODY is saying sit him for 5 years. 2) McNair didn't sit for 5 years..McNair came in after a 4 year career as a 22 yr rookie
It's one season. One. 1. The Jets decided to sit a 21 year old who forgo his senior year after playing 3 years in college. 
Good gawd this is such a ridiculous topic being fueled by the media idiots, which many here trashing Jets/Hack, loathe.

No. QB's busted just as much when teams sat them for years. There have never been enough men on the planet that can do it well enough that every NFL team has a good one. That alone should be exhibit A end of question proof that you can't sit on an egg waiting for it to hatch with the resolute stubborn notion is will be a golden goose. Draft high caliber rookies, throw them in the fire and see if they melt or forge to steel.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
18 minutes ago, PCP63 said:

Wouldn't you know it. Hack making enough progress to not draft a QB. Who would have guessed? Anyone that watched his film.

If the jets would have drafted a QB in the 7th round he'd be ahead of hack after one training camp.

• Thumb Down 5

1 hour ago, PCP63 said:

Wouldn't you know it. Hack making enough progress to not draft a QB. Who would have guessed? Anyone that watched his film.

Yeah... that.

Or the Jets didn't like the '17 QB class at all... thus signing McCown to play some games for a team built to tank, and then draft a QB at the top of 2018 draft.  

The above is more likely than progress from a guy "that couldn't hit the ocean" and "will never make it."

Unless the Jets pick at the top of the draft (or an unusually loaded draft class) they aren't going to get the guys that come in and be immediate stars.  How many people and media folks loves Paxton Lynch last year?  He was the one that Macc couldn't afford to pass on, the one with so much potential that we'd be dumb to pass up.  Statistically, he had a worse year than rookie Geno Smith with a cast that won the Superbowl with a loser QB in Osweiler, and a clearly over the hill Manning.  

I'm not saying Hack can't be a bust.  I even mentioned in the scouting report that he needs to sit a year.  But you can't blame the front office for rushing prospects, and then turn around and blame them when they take the cautious approach.  Now if Hackenberg shows up this year with the same flaws and no signs of improvement, then yes.  However, reading media tea leaves is a fruitless effort because McCown is making back up money.  They very well could have brought him in as injury back up with a veteran QB who might know the WC system to help the youngsters.  In fact, that was the whole point in Fitzpatrick at first.  He was supposed to teach the system to the kids because he knew it well, before the IK event.  

1 hour ago, RoadFan said:

Yeah... that.

Or the Jets didn't like the '17 QB class at all... thus signing McCown to play some games for a team built to tank, and then draft a QB at the top of 2018 draft.  

The above is more likely than progress from a guy "that couldn't hit the ocean" and "will never make it."

Who said he couldn't hit the ocean? Oh, right, "anonymous".

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, win4ever said:

Unless the Jets pick at the top of the draft (or an unusually loaded draft class) they aren't going to get the guys that come in and be immediate stars.  How many people and media folks loves Paxton Lynch last year?  He was the one that Macc couldn't afford to pass on, the one with so much potential that we'd be dumb to pass up.  Statistically, he had a worse year than rookie Geno Smith with a cast that won the Superbowl with a loser QB in Osweiler, and a clearly over the hill Manning.  

I'm not saying Hack can't be a bust.  I even mentioned in the scouting report that he needs to sit a year.  But you can't blame the front office for rushing prospects, and then turn around and blame them when they take the cautious approach.  Now if Hackenberg shows up this year with the same flaws and no signs of improvement, then yes.  However, reading media tea leaves is a fruitless effort because McCown is making back up money.  They very well could have brought him in as injury back up with a veteran QB who might know the WC system to help the youngsters.  In fact, that was the whole point in Fitzpatrick at first.  He was supposed to teach the system to the kids because he knew it well, before the IK event.  

The thing about Paxton Lynch is that realistically, he could have sat for a season or two year and been our eventual starter probably by the end of this year, because he is light years ahead of anything we have here.

And it's not like the pick we did make is a lock to be an long term elite starter.  Neither Lynch or Lee is a finished product but can anyone say they would rather have a QB or an ILB?

15 minutes ago, Pcola said:

The thing about Paxton Lynch is that realistically, he could have sat for a season or two year and been our eventual starter probably by the end of this year, because he is light years ahead of anything we have here.

And it's not like the pick we did make is a lock to be an long term elite starter.  Neither Lynch or Lee is a finished product but can anyone say they would rather have a QB or an ILB?

How is it realistic though?  He's a first round pick that played horribly and they are starting Siemien over him.  How is he light years ahead of anything we have?  He had a QBR of 28 last year, Geno had 35 in each of his first two seasons with a worse supporting cast.  Why not just keep him then? How is he light years ahead?  

Lee may or may not be the answer, but that doesn't excuse Lynch though.  So far Lynch has played well below par and is just about the same unknown as any other QB with an arm.  Heck, I'm pretty sure Jacoby Brisset played about as well as Lynch last year, if not better.   

2 hours ago, win4ever said:

How is it realistic though?  He's a first round pick that played horribly and they are starting Siemien over him.  How is he light years ahead of anything we have?  He had a QBR of 28 last year, Geno had 35 in each of his first two seasons with a worse supporting cast.  Why not just keep him then? How is he light years ahead?  

Lee may or may not be the answer, but that doesn't excuse Lynch though.  So far Lynch has played well below par and is just about the same unknown as any other QB with an arm.  Heck, I'm pretty sure Jacoby Brisset played about as well as Lynch last year, if not better.   

How many games did Lynch actually play in?   And quite possibly it could just be Denver's offense.  Was terrible when it was Manning/Osweiler, was terrible last year.  And maybe give Lynch more than just a handful of snaps before we call him a bust.  Heck Lee was handed a starting spot, played terrible and left in there to learn.

And what has McCown/Petty/Hack shown to anyone that they would be better than Lynch?

55 minutes ago, Pcola said:

How many games did Lynch actually play in?   And quite possibly it could just be Denver's offense.  Was terrible when it was Manning/Osweiler, was terrible last year.  And maybe give Lynch more than just a handful of snaps before we call him a bust.  Heck Lee was handed a starting spot, played terrible and left in there to learn.

And what has McCown/Petty/Hack shown to anyone that they would be better than Lynch?

Oswellier was easily better in that offense, went to one that was inferior in talent and took a nose dive.  They have CJ Anderson, Demarius Thomas, Emmanuel Sanders, Virgil Green, and Cody Latimer, and according to Football Outsiders a middle of the pack offensive line.  

If Hackenberg gets dinged for not playing, why does Lynch get points for playing poorly in few instances?  By his performance, he was below replacement value according to DYAR as well.  Osweiller with the same offense was 69% better than Lynch, and he was bad enough that the Texans gave up a second round pick to get him off the books.  I'm not calling him a bust, but if people are calling Hackenberg a bust and a terrible pick, then those in that boat that advocated for Lynch should also call out their own mistake with Lynch.  If we're giving Lynch more time to prove himself, perfectly sound IMO, then my argument is simple in that Hackenberg can't be called a bust either.   

What has Lynch shown to be better than them? Heck, I can pull stats from last year showing McCown to be better pretty easily.  So I presume, we're going by potential, at which point both Petty and Hack can be argued to have future potential.  If we're arguing based on performance, Lynch was well below average.  If we're arguing on potential, Petty and Hackenberg have enough potential that it's too early to call them busts.  

everyone's junk is better than ours. based on opinions

people who love Lynch sound like Glennon fans...

There is  not enough body of work to decide if Lynch or Hack is going to be  a decent QB

Suck for Sam

I am all in on the suck for sam. 

I don't understand the love for Lynch. He has talent, but so does Osweiller. I've said it before, if he was so great the Broncos would have seen enough of him last year to know he's the man. Instead, Semien still looks like the teams starting QB. We simply passed on a prospect. We didn't pass on an Andrew Luck type of prospect. We passed up on a QB who has maybe a 30 pct chance of success and waited a round to take a guy with a 10 percent chances of success. I didn't love the moves, but I am willing to give Hack a shot. 

2 hours ago, Pcola said:

You mind posting the game tape on Hack? I've never seen it. Pretty cool that you have seen it as I don't remember him playing in one - training camp film would be great to see too. Just would love to see for myself how inaccurate he is. 

On 1/31/2017 at 1:16 PM, thadude said:

Well Dak Prescott can read defenses while this pos Hack throws pick 6's in practice to practice squad losers

Hack should be cut

Dak Prescott has the best offensive line in front of him. He was very fortunate to be in a good situation. I think he'll take a big step back this year if anything happens to his line.

On 5/1/2016 at 1:59 PM, Fed Hill Jet said:

You cant teach the mental stuff.  This kid knows and loves football strategy and the chess moves at the LOS.  He's got the physical tools.  As long as he is not rattled beyond repair after two tough years, I think our coaching staff can do something with him.  Getting more excited about this pick.

Do the Aaron Rodgers thing and keep him on the bench until he's absolutely ready - 3-4 years. He's shell shocked and in this offense as it's currently set up, he'll never recover. 

On 3/11/2017 at 11:22 PM, 20andOut said:

"If Jimmy Clausen isn't a successful quarterback in this league. I'm done. I'm out." - Mel Kiper (yes clausen was drafted in the second) but the point is these evaluators are like weatherman. Correct half the time, just like us. Its a lot of guess work.

he also said that jamarcus russell was ...ok sit down for this one, because it is a direct quote...."JOHN ELWAY-LIKE" and would be an elite quarterback.

10 hours ago, Greensleeves said:

You mind posting the game tape on Hack? I've never seen it. Pretty cool that you have seen it as I don't remember him playing in one - training camp film would be great to see too. Just would love to see for myself how inaccurate he is. 

I saw him look like an undrafted free agent last preseason.  Add that to the fact that our organization hid him from the media during practice and adamantly refused to dress him when we were desperate for even a below average QB, and it tells everyone watching that we screwed up drafting him.  

I honestly think taking him so early was a mandate from Woody that because of its epic failure, bought Macc and Bowles two additional years.

And I guess if you really want to see Hack play you can go watch all the bad tape from PSU.  It's pretty telling when there is really no good tape on him and the guy who replaced him was light years better.