Hackenberg is in the HOUSE!!!

On 4/29/2016 at 9:34 PM, Integrity28 said:

The kid ran the Pats offense as a college freshman. He made pre-snap reads, audibles, and looked the part. 

The more I think about it, it would have been stupid not to roll the dice on him. We are a franchise that has not been able to find a QB the conventional way... so maybe taking one every year until you find one, and making high-upside QB picks outside the 1st round, we'll finally hit paydirt. I dunno.

Mac's philosophy is to "never miss" on the first 3 rounds. I have to think he wouldn't make this pick without weighing it against that philosophy.

Also, 2nd round QBs don't cost you your job. Not if you manage the situation around them appropriately, which I can see happening here with this FO.

Oh, Ape... bottom 3 poster ^^^^

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Random rep from @Jetsplayer21 on this... and whoa. More like "I guess you have to look at it like this, no matter what Mac does here none of these players will be contributing in 12 months." 

Had I only realized it then. :)

Lol. I don’t know who pulled up this thread and why, but I had a laugh looking through them.. Had to give some ups to the guys who had balls to call it a bad pick then ha.

What is funny is Texans we’re right behind us in the 2nd round. At last min they traded up 2 spots to pick right in front of us. Mac said later in media report, his heart sank thinking they were picking hack, because O’Brien Texans coach use to coach him at penn State. But they actually traded up in front of jets because they were worried the Jets who were even then in need of a center, would pick the center they wanted. Funny how they saw our problems with OL, four years later we still are in need of a center and mac is still clueless about it ??

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Lol. I don’t know who pulled up this thread and why, but I had a laugh looking through them.. Had to give some ups to the guys who had balls to call it a bad pick then ha.

What is funny is Texans we’re right behind us in the 2nd round. At last min they traded up 2 spots to pick right in front of us. Mac said later in media report, his heart sank thinking they were picking hack, because O’Brien Texans coach use to coach him at penn State. But they actually traded up in front of jets because they were worried the Jets who were even then in need of a center, would pick the center they wanted. Funny how they saw our problems with OL, four years later we still are in need of a center and mac is still clueless about it ??

Thanks for the pos rep on my hating the Hack pick. It took you long enough (3 years) lol

• Haha 1

Even after that AAF failure ? See my 1st page post, I hated the pick then and still do now even more.
We took the kid gave him different coaches each year gave him no chances to learn by keeping him on the bench even after the season is lost. In the preseason we forced him to hand 90 percent of the balls off or let him throw short passes even though the guy has a huge arm. Then we cut him. Yea he sucked in the aaf too but I would assume the aaf is not known for their ability to develop young broken quarterbacks. I am not saying the kid was ever or would ever or could ever be good all I am saying is we did not give him a fair chance to prove that he belonged or did not.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

• WTF? 1

2 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

We took the kid gave him different coaches each year gave him no chances to learn by keeping him on the bench even after the season is lost. In the preseason we forced him to hand 90 percent of the balls off or let him throw short passes even though the guy has a huge arm. Then we cut him. Yea he sucked in the aaf too but I would assume the aaf is not known for their ability to develop young broken quarterbacks. I am not saying the kid was ever or would ever or could ever be good all I am saying is we did not give him a fair chance to prove that he belonged or did not.

Weren't the NY Jets developing him? 

On 4/29/2016 at 9:37 PM, SAR I said:

And that is why he is about to become the greatest Jets quarterback in history.

We've tried doing it the right way forever; now let's draft the sure-thing bust and watch him on to glory, our Marino, our Kelly, our Manning, our Brady. 

Today will be a day long remembered and rejoiced.  But it feels terrible right now. It's the way it is meant to be. 

SAR I

Did not age well. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

You called it early when most of us homer fans were like “ ya he is the one “ ? you should get 1,000 greens for that ha

I'm probably one of the most "homer" fans here right now but after watching Hacks last year at PSU I wanted no part of him as our QB.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

Okay, even assuming that you can explain away Hack's working his way down from starter to never used third stringer in a developmental league which folded before it's first season ended, how about the fact that John Gruden wanted him for the Raiders but was forced to cut him when Hack threw 6 of his first 7 passes in his first practice for interceptions?

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, kelticwizard said:

Okay, even assuming that you can explain away Hack's working his way down from starter to never used third stringer in a developmental league which folded before it's first season ended, how about the fact that John Gruden wanted him for the Raiders but was forced to cut him when Hack threw 6 of his first 7 passes in his first practice for interceptions?

Did that really happen? Brutal.

58 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Did that really happen? Brutal.

I misremembered, but it turns out I wasn't that far off.  Here's a quote from last summer from jonnysd's post last summer.  Hackenberg was better than 6 ints for 7 passes, but only by a little.

• Upvote 1

On 4/29/2016 at 9:37 PM, SAR I said:

And that is why he is about to become the greatest Jets quarterback in history.

We've tried doing it the right way forever; now let's draft the sure-thing bust and watch him on to glory, our Marino, our Kelly, our Manning, our Brady. 

Today will be a day long remembered and rejoiced.  But it feels terrible right now. It's the way it is meant to be. 

SAR I

Damn I'd love to be able to make fun of you for this post but I was a Hack believer too.  In retrospect I still don't begrudge Macc for this pick.  QB is the most important position so I think the GM should make bold moves like this one and hope for the best.  

Hey, we needed a QB in like.....forever! To repost a thread to make fun of us hopers & dreamers that believed he could become our great QB hope is not a sin. 

This exercise could be played out on every fan board. I read thread after thread about how Jon Elway was a genius for drafting Paxton Lynch. 

Obviously many here including me yearning for a capable starting QB got ahead of ourselves but I was part of threads that said the NY Jets have to keep taking QBs every year until we find 1. 

11 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

What's funny is the Texans still need a center too.

• Upvote 1