Hackenberg is in the HOUSE!!!

FWIW, I enjoyed reading through most of this thread. I wasn't here in 2019 (after JI folded, I slightly lurked some Jets boards for quite some time), so an occasional trip into history is kind of fun.

I wasn't against the Jets taking Hackenberg per se, but in the 5th round or so as a flier.  Too many red flags, so I thought it was a terrible reach, even at the time.  No problem being wrong on him; we're all wrong about players every year. 

:-)

FWIW, I still don't think this was Mac's "worst" pick of all.  For that, I still, think Nathan Shepherd, though just a 3rd rounder, was worse b/c of the context.  Mac had traded away three 2nd round picks to move up...then took Darnold with the first.  The Jets had a lousy OL, so I thought for sure that his next pick would an OL to start building around his new "franchise" QB.  Nope...an old small college DT...when the D-line was the least of the Jets talent worries.  At least Hack was a position of need, I guess.

• Upvote 2

On 4/29/2016 at 9:00 PM, Integrity28 said:

I guess you have to look at it like this...

Wilk + Hackenberg

is better than

No Wilk + Fitz

Turns out, there was no way for me to be right here.

How pathetic that Fitzpatrick is the only relevant NFL player mentioned here.

On 4/29/2016 at 9:34 PM, Integrity28 said:

The kid ran the Pats offense as a college freshman. He made pre-snap reads, audibles, and looked the part. 

The more I think about it, it would have been stupid not to roll the dice on him. We are a franchise that has not been able to find a QB the conventional way... so maybe taking one every year until you find one, and making high-upside QB picks outside the 1st round, we'll finally hit paydirt. I dunno.

Mac's philosophy is to "never miss" on the first 3 rounds. I have to think he wouldn't make this pick without weighing it against that philosophy.

Also, 2nd round QBs don't cost you your job. Not if you manage the situation around them appropriately, which I can see happening here with this FO.

Remember when Mac said this?

I never expected he meant, “ never miss on the first three rounds, miss all of them.“

• Haha 1

On 4/29/2016 at 10:53 PM, Bleedin Green said:

My ultra-valuable insight on this pick:  as it was noted that the pick was in, all I could say is "It better not be the friggin' noodle announcing this pick......... ****!"  Clearly, that means we're doomed.  Of course, having such feelings may actually be a good thing.  But perhaps thinking that makes it bad.

Damn it.

Wait a second, the ole noodle arm announced this pick?  We really were screwed from the very beginning.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

"Has ditched NFL haters"

We live in a world where all criticism can be disregarded as "hate." So much easier than confronting the substance of criticism and actually self-reflecting.

Were people wrong to criticize Hackenberg? He's the only 2nd round QB to never make an NFL appearance. That's not "hate" that's a fact. I don't need "an agenda" to say that the Space Shuttle Challenger was a disaster. 

• Upvote 4

I created numerous threads how hack was total trash and total wasted pick and tons of folks defended the pick over and over again-sadly history repeated itself and the jets wasted the morgain pick(I know a 4 vs a 2) but same result -people were saying our gm got a steal , the truly insane had the balls to mention the  brady  pick by the pats  as justification. Sadly Joe repeated history with our 4th and picked Morgan another guy that was never going to start for us when we had needs all over and just like with Hack folks defended the pick and hey it is only a 4th rounder anyways  and then the same folks praise Joe when gets a 6th rounder in a trade like the 4th is not worth anything but oh  man a 6th is GOLD 

10 hours ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Was the Hack pick that much worse than the Morgan pick?

Yes.  Much, much worse.  

I am convinced that he took Hackenberg because he felt the kid was "pro ready."  I think he expected Hackenberg to be the starter in 2016.  When the kid was obviously trash he had to eat crow and pivot back to Fitzpatrick and cross his line in the sand on that contract. 

He followed that up by passing on Mahomes and Watson, either because of Hackenberg's development or for 2018 or for both and that is as bad as it gets. 

Taking a flier on a QB is okay.  Putting your eggs in that basket and whiffing that hard on a 2nd is not.  The difference in point value on those picks is 343.  That is a 2nd round pick.  There is a monumental difference between those picks.  The 4th is where you roll the dice.  

I didn't go back and read my posts in this thread.  I was against Hackenberg pre-draft, but willing to give the benefit of the doubt because i don't think you can complain about rolling the dice.  Particularly when we were bitching about positional value with his early picks.  Missing wasn't the end of the world, but basing so much on that bust is horrible

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, TheClashFan said:

FWIW, I enjoyed reading through most of this thread. I wasn't here in 2019 (after JI folded, I slightly lurked some Jets boards for quite some time), so an occasional trip into history is kind of fun.

I wasn't against the Jets taking Hackenberg per se, but in the 5th round or so as a flier.  Too many red flags, so I thought it was a terrible reach, even at the time.  No problem being wrong on him; we're all wrong about players every year. 

:-)

FWIW, I still don't think this was Mac's "worst" pick of all.  For that, I still, think Nathan Shepherd, though just a 3rd rounder, was worse b/c of the context.  Mac had traded away three 2nd round picks to move up...then took Darnold with the first.  The Jets had a lousy OL, so I thought for sure that his next pick would an OL to start building around his new "franchise" QB.  Nope...an old small college DT...when the D-line was the least of the Jets talent worries.  At least Hack was a position of need, I guess.

That's an interesting thought.  I liked Shepard going into that draft, but it did seem early to take him.  I think most people wanted Orlando Brown there.  He was kind of on my do not touch list.  The first two Oline guys taken right after, Rankin and Christian, are kind of squids.  Then Brown.  

I am a BAP guy, but looking at who was taken I'd probably have gone Noteboom for Oline.  I guess Okorafor might have been the best pick if that's what you wanted.  Cappa moved to guard and has been a full time starter for the Bucs. 

• Upvote 1

I was as guilty as anyone as wanting Hackenberg to work out from his PSU experience. Under Bill O’Brien, he appeared to be a savant. Maybe that was a mirage, I have no idea.

Under Franklin, he tried to turn the offense from a downfield attacking offense, to a   A wr bunch screening type offense. Hack’s ability to handle that just seemed to sink with each passing game.

Regardless of style, Hack just seems to be “soft” mentally and was never able to adjust

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

'Keep taking quarterbacks until you hit on one' is still the right strategy.  We should take another next year.  Until you get one, there is no point to any of this.

SAR I

Providing there are any worth picking, to pick one just to pick one is kinda how we ended up with Sanchez, Geno and Hack. In the case of your Boo Mark, you also need to know what to do with them once you pick them. Our current staff is already proving they don’t so this whole issue right now is kind of moot. If they can’t get Zach to play at least modestly better do you really want these three jamokes picking and developing our next QB? I don’t. 

• Upvote 3

On 10/20/2021 at 8:24 AM, JiFapono said:

Yes, he often up votes himself, while he neg reps everyone else.

He's up 110 neg reps of my posts in the last 24 hours.

If @The Gooch's neg rep is like shotgun spray, Skeptable's is like heat-seeking missiles fired at the same target over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

• Haha 1

On 10/20/2021 at 8:35 AM, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I was pro Hack, but only because I give every player we draft a chance before turning. 

Still wish he got a regular season snap so I could get proper closure.  

He got some snaps in the AAF.  They did not go well.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/02/11/aaf-debut-christian-hackenberg-showed-why-he-never-played-down-nfl/

In AAF debut, Christian Hackenberg showed why he never played a down in the NFL

The Alliance of American Football may have enjoyed a solid debut over the weekend, but it didn’t go so well for Christian Hackenberg. The former Penn State star and second-round pick of the New York Jets, who never played a regular season down in two-plus NFL seasons, struggled as his Memphis Express was shut out Sunday in its opener.

Hackenberg completed just 10 of 23 passes for 87 yards and an interception, plus he was sacked twice and flagged for intentional grounding, in Memphis’s 26-0 loss to the Birmingham Iron. With about four minutes left, he was lifted from the game in favor of backup quarterback Brandon Silvers, but not before Hackenberg left as big an impression with his potty mouth as he did with his spotty arm (warning: profanity)

14 hours ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Was the Hack pick that much worse than the Morgan pick?

Yes.  It was much, much worse.  

And not only was it a terrible pick at the time, it impacted the following year's draft too.  Maccagnan believed in Hackenberg so much that he avoided taking Mahomes/Watson in the 2017 draft as a result.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Providing there are any worth picking, to pick one just to pick one is kinda how we ended up with Sanchez, Geno and Hack. In the case of your Boo Mark, you also need to know what to do with them once you pick them. Our current staff is already proving they don’t so this whole issue right now is kind of moot. If they can’t get Zach to play at least modestly better do you really want these three jamokes picking and developing our next QB? I don’t. 

Blind Squirrel Theory.  Eventually it has to happen.  Eventually we accidentally find the next Hall of Fame quarterback and he fixes everything all by himself including the coaching staff.

SAR I

12 hours ago, SAR I said:

Blind Squirrel Theory.  Eventually it has to happen.  Eventually we accidentally find the next Hall of Fame quarterback and he fixes everything all by himself including the coaching staff.

SAR I

But that kind of is how it happens which is why failing quickly is a success indicator 

7 hours ago, jgb said:

But that kind of is how it happens which is why failing quickly is a success indicator 

Yes.  We've seen enough of Douglas, LaFleur, and Wilson to call it.  Time to tank (like we aren't anyway) and get the best QB coming out in April and start again.  In order for the Blind Squirrel to find his nut, he can't walk around just one tree.

SAR I

29 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Yes.  We've seen enough of Douglas, LaFleur, and Wilson to call it.  Time to tank (like we aren't anyway) and get the best QB coming out in April and start again.  In order for the Blind Squirrel to find his nut, he can't walk around just one tree.

SAR I

It might well be a good idea to pull a Josh Rosen (albeit it is incredibly unlikely the Jets would do it under any circumstance) but that decision doesn't need to be made for months so might as well take the time to evaluate all involved.

At a minimum -- regardless of where Zach is by the end of the year -- Jets need to address QB2.

Yeah I will never live this thread down lol.  I guess I was really hoping he was the one against all evidence to the contrary.   As was mentioned, what was worse than taking him the second round was passing on Watson and Mahomes the next year and doubling down on their mistake.  That decision set this franchise back for years. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

31 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Tanking is for pussies. 

I know you are ridiculous troll, but even if we need a new QB, it's not the way to go.  There are 32 teams.  Somebody cited QBR as a rating.  Of the top 17, seven are not on the team that drafted them.  Six were not first round picks.   Thirteen were not the first QB selected in their draft.  Only two were selected first overall by the team they currently play for,  Only one of those is top 10.  

Switch to QB rating and 5 of the top 15 were 1st overall.   Only 3 of those are on their original team including Mayfield who squeaked in at 15. 

It's one thing to tank for a "generational prospect" or to not go all out to win a meaningless December game.  It's quite another to throw in the towel in October in attempt to seem smarter than everybody else. 

• Upvote 2

On 10/21/2021 at 7:32 AM, kmnj said:

I created numerous threads how hack was total trash and total wasted pick and tons of folks defended the pick over and over again-sadly history repeated itself and the jets wasted the morgain pick(I know a 4 vs a 2) but same result -people were saying our gm got a steal , the truly insane had the balls to mention the  brady  pick by the pats  as justification. Sadly Joe repeated history with our 4th and picked Morgan another guy that was never going to start for us when we had needs all over and just like with Hack folks defended the pick and hey it is only a 4th rounder anyways  and then the same folks praise Joe when gets a 6th rounder in a trade like the 4th is not worth anything but oh  man a 6th is GOLD 

These are not even comparable situations. 

Macc took Hackenberg in the second round as a backup to a failing second round flyer pick after picking a third round QB flyer the previous year. Everybody else understood Hackenberg to be a project but Macc committed to him.

JD took Morgan as a fourth round flyer having already picked up White as a project while saddled with a first round QB. When Morgan didn't pan out JD didn't commit to him but instead drafted another first round QB and dumped Morgan. 

The strategies and draft capital involved with both picks are completely different.

• Upvote 2

On 10/21/2021 at 12:23 PM, SAR I said:

'Keep taking quarterbacks until you hit on one' is still the right strategy.  We should take another next year.  Until you get one, there is no point to any of this.

SAR I

But...what about the first line of that post?  You know, this part:

Good, this is better than taking another fat lineman.