Hackenberg is in the HOUSE!!!

7 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

You aren't a bad fan, but I think Mac is a cut above any GM we've had in recent history.  I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.  Everything I read said he loved Hackenberg!

GMs fall in love with prospects all the time. It could be his undoing, no matter how good you think he is. And being a cut above other GMs in Jets history is like winning a participation ribbon at a three legged race event for the blind. 

• Sympathy 1

Just now, CrazyCarl40 said:

Ah yes. Insults when you know you're wrong. Cool. What does the Texans drafting a WR in the first round have to do with possibly taking Hackenberg in the second? 

And, yes, the point about Osweiler is valid because the coach of the team knew Hackenberg in much more depth than Osweiler and decided to give a guy who has done less than Geno Smith in the league 18 million a year rather than possibly build around a kid he knew and groomed coming out of high school. 

the texans are in win now mode, with watt in his prime and already talking about when he may retire.  they are not prepared to wait to develop a qb, they made the playoffs last year.  that team can contend for the super bowl this year.  you think the owner wanted to not get a big young qb and hope they draft a kid who has some bad tape but the hc promises he can fix?  

3 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Ah yes. Insults when you know you're wrong. Cool. What does the Texans drafting a WR in the first round have to do with possibly taking Hackenberg in the second? 

And, yes, the point about Osweiler is valid because the coach of the team knew Hackenberg in much more depth than Osweiler and decided to give a guy who has done less than Geno Smith in the league 18 million a year rather than possibly build around a kid he knew and groomed coming out of high school. 

To channel my inner John McEnroe..."YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS!"   The Texans are about competing now, not grooming a rookie.  Why do you think they rolled the dice with Osweller?  For $hits and grins @$18MM?

Just now, Augustiniak said:

the texans are in win now mode, with watt in his prime and already talking about when he may retire.  they are not prepared to wait to develop a qb, they made the playoffs last year.  that team can contend for the super bowl this year.  you think the owner wanted to not get a big young qb and hope they draft a kid who has some bad tape but the hc promises he can fix?  

The Jets are in win now mode too. Osweiler is not a good QB. Not 18 million dollars good anyway. They'll be clamoring for Hoyer by week 8. 

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Il Mostro said:

To channel my inner John McEnroe..."YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS!"   The Texans are about competing now, not grooming a rookie.  Why do you think they rolled the dice with Osweller?  For $hits and grins?

Win now mode but go with an unproven quarterback. That makes sense. The Jets have a "win now" roster too. Just so you know. 

the thing with hackenberg is that it just goes to show you how important scheme and coaching makes for a qb.  you can't have rex and his inept offensive staff draft qbs and expect them to do well.  it takes an entire organization's dedication to developing qbs to actually get competent qb play.  mccags said he wants to develop a pipeline of qbs.  hack is one link in this pipeline, petty is another.  if hack develops quickly he may actually start some games this year since he does have knowledge of a pro system and clearly embraced it in college.  

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Win now mode but go with an unproven quarterback. That makes sense. The Jets have a "win now" roster too. Just so you know. 

What does this have to do with O'Brien passing on Hackenberg -- your original point, in case you do not remember?  You are a mixed up mess with your thought process, which explains a lot.  Now go get your friggin' shine box.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Uh Uh. You're falling into the trap. Their roster is not "win now". The roster is made up of veterans so that they can be competitive to keep fans happy. This is a rebuilding project disguised as a win now team

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Il Mostro said:

What does this have to do with O'Brien passing on Hackenberg -- your original point,in case you do not remember?  You are a mixed up mess with your thought process.  Now go get your friggin' shine box.

You changed the topic, not me. Hack sucks. That's the point. Good day.

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

Uh Uh. You're falling into the trap. Their roster is not "win now". The roster is made up of veterans so that they can be competitive to keep fans happy. This is a rebuilding project disguised as a win now team

Please tell Marshall, Decker, Forte, Mangold, Revis, etc that this is a rebuilding project. That's laughable at best.  

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

True dat.  They addressed LB youth and speed.  Next, and I am not saying it will be this year, OL. 

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

brick retired.  revis, marshall and mangold are the impact guys who are veterans.  harris isn't the player he used to be and they fortified lbs this draft.  this was always a rebuild for mccags, he inherited a 4-12 team that idzik and tanny ran into the ground.  

• Upvote 1

Please tell Marshall, Decker, Forte, Mangold, Revis, etc that this is a rebuilding project. That's laughable at best.  

All of those older players are on short term deals. They are here for the fans benefit. Because New York does not accept what teams like Jacksonville or what the 76ers did in basketball. YOu have to have the illusion of being a contender while restocking the roster with young talent. 

Plus think about it, Even with Fitzpatrick, is this team winning the Super Bowl? No

Edited by UnitedWhofans

7 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

No, dip-wad, you are the one that changed the topic.  I simply addressed your point that if O'Brien passed on Hackenberg it had overwhelming significance.  You are all over the place in trying to defend a position that is indefensible when common sense and facts enter the picture.  I never entered a debate as to whether "Hack sucks". Trying so hard to be right, and bouncing off the walls trying to deflect, only makes you look like more of a zip damn fool.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Just now, SMC said:

Mac is a scout at heart and this may be a matter of a scout's hubris, but Hackenberg is really young and a long term project.

Consider the fact that Hackenberg just turned 21. He is FOUR years younger than Petty and FIVE years younger than Geno. The Jets could afford to sit Hackenberg for two full seasons, rebuild his mechanics and he'd still be one of the youngest starters in the 2018 in the NFL if everything works out.

true.  but why is he such a long term project?  2 years ago he was running a pro offense as a college freshman.  why would it take him several years to relearn a lot of what he already did?  it seems like he is positioned to pick up the offense quicker than petty and could be ready sooner than him.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

All of those older players are on short term deals. They are here for the fans benefit. Because New York does not accept what teams like Jacksonville or what the 76ers did in basketball. YOu have to have the illusion of being a contender while restocking the roster with young talent. 

Plus think about it, Even with Fitzpatrick, is this team winning the Super Bowl? No

I'd sign up for what Jacksonville has done. That is a better team than the Jets right now. 

And not all of those vets are on short term deals, but they all are for huge money, impacting the Jets ability to get any good youthful talent on the roster. 

• Upvote 1

this team was left in a shambles by that f*ckin a$$hole tannenbaum and rex ryan. cap problems and not very talented. idzik came and cleared the cap problems....but drafted like a complete buffoon with the help of that total f*ckin retard rex ryan. mccagnan has to do 2 things simultaneously. rebuild the team in a suatainable fashion and keep them competitve at the same time. technically every team in the nfl is "win-now" because losing isn't accepted for too long. 

• Upvote 3

I'd sign up for what Jacksonville has done. That is a better team than the Jets right now. 

And not all of those vets are on short term deals, but they all are for huge money, impacting the Jets ability to get any good youthful talent on the roster. 

Only Revis and maybe Marshall aren't. Everyone else is. Maccagnan was brilliant in giving them short term deals so that by 2017-2018 when those players are gone, we will have money to go with the young talent we are cultivating now.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SMC said:

Mac is a scout at heart and this may be a matter of a scout's hubris, but Hackenberg is really young and a long term project.

Consider the fact that Hackenberg just turned 21. He is FOUR years younger than Petty and FIVE years younger than Geno. The Jets could afford to sit Hackenberg for two full seasons, rebuild his mechanics and he'd still be one of the youngest starters in the 2018 in the NFL if everything works out.

They could sit him for two years. And by the time he is ready to at least give it a go, MM and TB might be out of jobs. And the new regime might not care for Hack and he's sent on his way, never knowing. That's all a real possibility. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

3 minutes ago, Il Mostro said:

No, dip-wad, you are the one that changed the topic.  I simply addressed your point that if O'Brien passed on Hackenberg it had overwhelming significance.  You are all over the place in trying to defend a position that is indefensible when common sense and facts enter the picture.  I never enetered a debate as to whether "Hack sucks". Trying so hard to be right, and bouncing off the walls trying to deflect, only makes you look like more of a zip damn fool.

I'm not going to go back and forth with someone who lacks common decency, sense, or a modicum of respect. Have a nice day. Enjoy. 

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

true.  but why is he such a long term project?  2 years ago he was running a pro offense as a college freshman.  why would it take him several years to relearn a lot of what he already did?  it seems like he is positioned to pick up the offense quicker than petty and could be ready sooner than him.

Because Hackenberg wasnt really that good his freshman year. He was decent. The Jets have to exorcize the last 2 seasons, get him to his freshman year level play AND then better before he could compete fir starter's job. Im generally an optimist, but that sounds like a more than 1 year project fir me.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I'm not going to go back and forth with someone who lacks common decency, sense, or a modicum of respect. Have a nice day. Enjoy. 

Respect is earned.  You are overdrawn.  BTW, what a petulant little twat, with the string of negative reps.  Like I care.  You are showing yourself as the total pussy  you are.  Grow up little man.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

4 minutes ago, SMC said:

Because Hackenberg wasnt really that good his freshman year. He was decent. The Jets have to exorcize the last 2 seasons, get him to his freshman year level play AND then better before he could compete fir starter's job. Im generally an optimist, but that sounds like a more than 1 year project fir me.

hackenberg is wired to run a pro offense.  he did the presnap reads, etc., that so many qbs can't grasp in the nfl.  he already has shown he can do that.  it is logical to assume he can do it again when asked and taught.  he also seems more than willing to move on from what happened at penn state and prove that he can do it.  it's not like you're dealing with a prospect who has never done it.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

hackenberg is wired to run a pro offense.  he did the presnap reads, etc., that so many qbs can't grasp in the nfl.  he already has shown he can do that.  it is logical to assume he can do it again when asked and taught.  he also seems more than willing to move on from what happened at penn state and prove that he can do it.  it's not like you're dealing with a prospect who has never done it.  

That's pretty optimistic for a QB prospect whom was said of: "One coach said C.Hackenberg couldn’t escape pressure, identify blitzes, release it quickly, anticipate throws or pass downfield accurately."

That's alot to undo despite being "wired for a pro offense." He not only needs to run a pro offense, he needs to learn to play well against a pro defense. Thats more than a year's worth of teaching IMO. Heck, its not unreasonable to foresee it taking next season just to make Hackenberg unlearn all his bad habits that he accumulated since O'Brien left.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Il Mostro said:

Respect is earned.  You are overdrawn.  BTW, what a petulant little twat, with the string negative reps.  Like I care.  You are showing yourself as the total pussy  you are.  Grow up little man.

Lol. You don't care but you edited your post to insult me further and bolded the font. Lol. 

5 minutes ago, SMC said:

That's pretty optimistic for a QB prospect whom was said of: "One coach said C.Hackenberg couldn’t escape pressure, identify blitzes, release it quickly, anticipate throws or pass downfield accurately."

That's alot to undo despite being "wired for a pro offense." He not only needs to run a pro offense, he needs to learn to play well against a pro defense. Thats more than a year's worth of teaching IMO. Heck, its not unreasonable to foresee it taking next season just to make Hackenberg unlearn all his bad habits that he accumulated since O'Brien left.

evaluating hack is like scouting 2 different qbs.  you can write about him his first year in a pro system and it's one way.  you can write about him the past 2 years in that system and it's a completely different evaluation.  coming out of high school he was the top rated pro style passer and continued that trend his first year.  that's how he was trending.  it is reasonable to assume that he would have continued to look good in that offense, based on his high school evaluation and freshman year at penn state.  it's not like you're taking someone like lynch and hoping he can adjust to the pro way.  

• Upvote 2

Lol. You don't care but you edited your post to insult me further and bolded the font. Lol. 

Yep, I sure did, after I noticed all of your neg-reps.  Who makes a conscious effort to do that?  Just wanted to point out what a little twat like you will resort to. 

9 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

evaluating hack is like scouting 2 different qbs.  you can write about him his first year in a pro system and it's one way.  you can write about him the past 2 years in that system and it's a completely different evaluation.  coming out of high school he was the top rated pro style passer and continued that trend his first year.  that's how he was trending.  it is reasonable to assume that he would have continued to look good in that offense, based on his high school evaluation and freshman year at penn state.  it's not like you're taking someone like lynch and hoping he can adjust to the pro way.  

Bingo.  And that is what they are gambling on.  I have no idea whether it will work, but I do understand the thought process behind the pick.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

Don't like this pick at all. Not an accurate QB at all.  Would have gone OT then grab QB Kevin Hogan later on. Hope I'm wrong here. We'll know in 2-3 years.

And which OT would you have taken seeing as all of the ones worth taking in the first three rounds were gone?

Find the ignore button. Push it. Enjoy your day. 

Hey, what happened to "good day, sir"?  I though you weren't going to go back and forth with someone who did not show you respect.  Yet, you cannot control yourself. Weak mind...

• Thumb Down 1

46 minutes ago, SMC said:

Hack should sit for at least ONE year before they even think about him being ready for the pro game.  

The thought that the guy who was at times awful his last two seasons will be ready for NFL PLAY next year is not realistic IMO.  Thinking otherwise is again FF run amuck.  

Folks have to remember he won't be the backup next year or the starter so he will receiving few reps.  Next year is all about establishing his confidence and getting him to have good habits and then hope that he is capable of competing for the starters job with Petty.   

3 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Hack should sit for at least ONE year before they even think about him being ready for the pro game.  

The thought that the guy who was at times awful his last two seasons will be ready for NFL PLAY next year is not realistic IMO.  Thinking otherwise is again FF run amuck.  

Folks have to remember he won't be the backup next year or the starter so he will receiving few reps.  Next year is all about establishing his confidence and getting him to have good habits and then hope that he is capable of competing for the starters job with Petty.   

Of course hack is sitting next year.  Geno or Fitz will be the starter

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Il Mostro said:

Bingo.  And that is what they are gambling on.  I have no idea whether it will work, but I do understand the thought process behind the pick.

at least they took a qb who actually has a chance to be good.  he has elite tools and has already proven he can run a pro offense.  if o'brien had stayed, hack could have really developed into the top prospect he was thought to be in high school.  it is a gamble, certainly, drafting most qbs is a gamble.  but if you're going to roll the dice on a qb, draft the guy who has upside.  

and it is very telling that connor cook wasn't even drafted last night.  here's a guy who is a proven winner from a top program.  there really must be something to all the talk about his personality.

• Upvote 1