Hackenberg is in the HOUSE!!!

You cant teach the mental stuff.  This kid knows and loves football strategy and the chess moves at the LOS.  He's got the physical tools.  As long as he is not rattled beyond repair after two tough years, I think our coaching staff can do something with him.  Getting more excited about this pick.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Two years of terrible tape doesnt lie.

It wasn't terrible. Don't just look at the stats, look at what he actually did. I don't think I've ever seen him make an incorrect read. If he makes the correct read, but his wide receiver doesn't, why blame that on him? Now, imagine that happening at least a dozen times a game while your OL lets pressure get to him in under two seconds often. Yet he still only threw six interceptions, and played pretty decent.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 2

He could be our franchise qb but everything I've seen points to him needing at least a year on the bench to fix what went horribly wrong the past 2 years.

by that time we might be coming off a three win season and a chance to select a better prospect at quarterback, and I am all for that kind of competition to emerge wher we might have 2 legit franchise quarterbacks pushing each other to be the best they can be

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, PCP63 said:

It wasn't terrible. Don't just look at the stats, look at what he actually did. I don't think I've ever seen him make an incorrect read. If he makes the correct read, but his wide receiver doesn't, why blame that on him? Now, imagine that happening at least a dozen times a game while your OL lets pressure get to him in under two seconds often. Yet he still only threw six interceptions, and played pretty decent.

geno says lucky for him he did not have to throw to chaz and nelson 

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Jetmech said:

This time last year Cook was considered a top 3 pick by many and look at him now. I believe Wentz was considered in the next tier yet he gets picked second...

You never know we these QB's...

As long as Tx gives the stamp of approval.  He's loved so many winners at the qb position over the years Hoyer, Mallett, Cassel etc.

Lets stop with this. 

I mean the kid had an awful college career.  One draft site claimed he completed under 61% of his passes when he WASN'T under pressure which is not good.  He has small hands and it shows when he wildly misses very simple passes to the flat or dumpoff passes.  His college tape is a horror show and its not all on his offensive line.  Now Mac claimed he vetted Hacknsack very thoroughly so I guess we kind of have to have some faith.  The odds of any of the 2016 QB's becoming anything better than a backup are low much less becoming a franchise QB.  I just hope we play him right away and don't waste 4 years like the Jets did with Geno to discover he sucks.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 2

23 minutes ago, PCP63 said:

I can't think of a single team, even with the worst OL in the league, that let pressure in as fast and as often as that OL did.

Cal's O-Line was even worse than PSU's, and Goff did just fine.

Love how all the excuses are rolling in for Hackenberg. I'll assume this is just posters trying desperately to talk themselves into this pick

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

IMO, All the 2016 QBs were projects and mostly back-up material due to different issues for each prospect.

I wanted Kevin Hogan. We went with Hackenweiss instead. No QB from this draft was worth betting the farm on, but we selected one with prototypical Franchise measurements,  Pro "UPSIDE" that can still be harnessed, and who is still growing and developing as a QB and person. 

Go with what we got, and hope for the best. There's ALWAYS Chad Kelly from Ole Miss in '17 :mellow:

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

its going to be a very interesting preseason with this kid thats for sure. 

This will remind me of the 2009 preseason TBH, and wouldn't be surprised if Hackenberg gets a shot to split the starting reps in gm 3 VS the Giants 1's, and with the Jets 1's, and then if he shows any semblance of having it named the starter.

22 minutes ago, Fed Hill Jet said:

Hack has been sacked 103 times in the past two years.  The most sacked QB last year was Kaepernick at 43.

Has any QB in the NFL been sacked as much as Hack in 2 years?

Thats his entire 3 yr college career.  Although I think only like 18 or 20 of them are from his freshman yr.  

53 minutes ago, PCP63 said:

I know it's hard to believe. You look at the stats and see the low completion percentage and overthrows.  You see a guy with bad footwork. How could he possibly be even a decent QB?

Stats don't always tell the full story. If you actually break down the game film, you'll see that he's really not that inaccurate. Most of his incompletions are due to pass rush, drops, and batted down balls. His footwork? After O'Brien left, the coaches kept making him switch his stance, making it awkward for him.

This is a kid that ran a pro-style Erhardt Perkins offense as a freshman. He makes the right reads, his audibles are immaculate, and he's very intelligent. Don't blame him for poor line play, and wide receivers that make the wrong choices on choice routes.

When you look at his plays, don't look at the yards gained. Those don't tell you anything. Look at the reads, the audibles, the progressions. If you do, you'll see that he's the most pro-ready QB in this entire draft. And our franchise quarterback.

PCP63.............  I think the name says it all with this post!

We all want this kid to succeed, but let's let it play out. He's a Jet now, no redrafts.... we'll see at the end of the season if there ws progress.

In all liklihood we won't even see him other than practices and sideline shots holding a clipboard.

• Upvote 1

QBs drafted in the late 2nd, with small hands, below 60% completion and low Adjusted Yards per Attempt numbers have historically never become real franchise QBs. All of the successful QBs drafted in the late second, including Dalton, Carr and Brees, had at least average hands, above 60% completion and high Adjusted Yards Per attempt number. The only statistical franchise QB trait Hackenberg possesses is his #1 recruit status. I don't hold out much hope for him.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Lupz27 said:

This will remind me of the 2009 preseason TBH, and wouldn't be surprised if Hackenberg gets a shot to split the starting reps in gm 3 VS the Giants 1's, and with the Jets 1's, and then if he shows any semblance of having it named the starter.

In 2009 the only QB we had was Clemens so it's a bit different with Geno and Petty on the team..

Just now, Savage69 said:

In 2009 the only QB we had was Clemens so it's a bit different with Geno and Petty on the team..

Yeah, but I'm talking more in terms of excitement of a new beginning, should have clarified that.  When G Smith got his shot we all kinda knew this was not the start of a new beginning.