ProFootballFocus slaughters Christian Hackenberg: rates him as UNDRAFTABLE

predator_05

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

I saw both of them play a lot in college, and this is complete nonsense. I never saw Geno as an NFL QB, Hackenberg could be

The geno hate is just plain stupid now.

geno was a much better prospect that sackenberg.

if you see an nfl quarterback in him, u are just blind with your hate geno glasses

The part that worries me, and this has already been mentioned in another thread, is that we go out there this season and fall flat on our face and end up with a top 3 pick.

We then REFUSE to draft a franchise QB because we have this bum on the roster and take an offensive lineman instead.  Then we wait two more years trying to "develop" this loser and are pretty much spinning our wheels.

Their is only one QB that could make me think of giving Geno another chance and low and behold we ******* took him

35 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

From his CBS.com scouting report:

WEAKNESSES: Nonexistent feel or awareness in the pocket, struggling to navigate himself around the noise. Slow to process and late reading coverages due to questionable vision. Immature eye use, staring down targets and predetermining throws, which leads to inexplicable decisions.

If we're lucky, one of Petty and Hack eventually end up as a backup. Our future QB is not on our roster. Suck this year and hope someone drops next year. But there's just no good QBs coming out. Everyone loves Watson, like everyone loved Cook last year. I doubt the hype lasts all season.  We have no QB and there's no help on the way. Should be a solid few years lol...

Another good scouting report, this time from old man Walter of walterfootball.com

http://walterfootbal...chackenberg.php

How can one overlook those weaknesses:

Christian Hackenberg Scouting Report

Strengths:

• Strong arm
  • Quality size
  • Can make all the throws
  • Field vision; works through his progressions
  • Capable of brilliant passes into tight windows
  • Good mechanics
  • Flashes good pocket presence
  • Throws well to the sideline
  • Experience in a pro-style system
  • Experience working under center
  • Three-year starter
  • Toughness
  • Delivers passes while taking hits
  • Has played hurt
  • Football I.Q.
  • Good teammate
  • Leadership
  • Upside

Weaknesses:

• Inaccurate as a passer
  • Consistently misses routine, easy check-down completions
  • Statue in the pocket for the NFL
  • Can get rattled by the rush
  • Sometimes holds the ball too long
  • Accountability; excuse-making issues

Summary: After a star-crossed collegiate career, Christian Hackenberg is one of the most discussed, debated and scrutinized prospects in the 2016 NFL Draft. He was a top recruit for current Texans head coach Bill O'Brien while at Penn State, and Hackenberg was the Big Ten Freshman of the Year playing for O'Brien in his pro-style offense. With some good talent around him like the Jacksonville Jaguars' young play-making wide receiver Allen Robinson, Hackenberg completed 59 percent of his passes for 2,955 yards with 20 touchdowns and 10 interceptions in 2013. He also ran for four touchdowns. That season had NFL scouts and executives thinking Hackenberg could become an elite "top of the draft" quarterback prospect.

However as a sophomore and junior, Hackenberg had rough seasons playing for James Franklin. He was misfit in Franklin's college read-option attack, and the sanctions for the Penn State scandal led to a horrific offensive line that allowed Hackenberg to be sacked over 80 times across those two seasons. In 2014, Hackenberg completed 56 percent of his passes in 2014 for 2,677 yards with 12 touchdowns and 15 interceptions.

Hackenberg completed 54 percent of his passes in 2015 for 2,525 yards and 16 touchdowns with six interceptions. He had terrible games against Rutgers and Temple, but good outings against Buffalo, San Diego State, Indiana and Illinois. Sources say that Penn State head coach James Franklin beat Hackenberg down and handled him terribly. Team evaluators say that Franklin has a preference for "his guys" and Franklin had a chip on his shoulder against Hackenberg - among others. Teams admire that Hackenberg could have transferred in the face of a lot of adversity for the program, but he stayed committed to trying to help get things headed in the right direction in Happy Valley.

For the NFL, Hackenberg is a difficult evaluation. He has a good arm with size and field vision to work though his progressions. In every game, Hackenberg would make beautiful throws deep downfield into tight windows that beat good coverage. Unfortunately for him, a lot of those impressive throws were dropped by inadequate receivers. Hackenberg has the arm talent to be a dangerous pro quarterback who can make money throws.

There also are a lot of flaws to Hackenberg. His accuracy is inconsistent, and he misses badly on far too many routine completions. Hackenberg has a habit of overthrows on check downs to the flat, while in the pocket, he is a statue who can get rattled by the rush. The steady pass-rushing bearing down on Hackenberg at Penn State caused him to make some bad decisions. That was an issue as a sophomore especially, and he did show improvement at avoiding interceptions as a junior.

At the combine, sources say that Hackenberg had mixed interviews. He did well for teams from an X's and O's perspective, plus showed a quality football I.Q. and play recall. The things sources didn't like was they felt that Hackenberg made too many excuses and passed too much blame elsewhere for some of the troubles over the past two years.

Hackenberg has the physical skill set to be an NFL starter. His best fit would come in a downfield pro-digit offense that lets him throw the ball vertically and to the sideline. It would be best if Hackenberg was paired with a strong running game as he does well throwing off play-action. The West Coast system has a lot of high-percentage quick passes to move the chains, so it might not work well for Hackenberg because of his inaccuracy.

For the 2016 NFL Draft, Hackenberg could go as high as the second round and as low as the fourth round. In speaking with sources, some teams grade Hackenberg on the third day of the 2016 NFL Draft as a fourth-rounder, but others have graded him in Round 3. Even the teams that graded him after the third round expect him to be selected on the second day. Hackenberg could at least be a quality backup and a developmental project who has the skill set and upside to become a good starter.

Player Comparison: Carson Palmer/Brandon Weeden. If things go well for Hackenberg, I think his ceiling would be a Carson Palmer-type quarterback. Palmer is a strong-armed pocket passer who can excel with talent around him. That was Hackenberg as a freshman.

If Hackenberg is a bust, I think he would resemble something like Weeden; a player who struggles with accuracy and lacks mobility. However, both have more natural arm talent.

Perhaps the most likely outcome for Hackenberg's career is being somewhere in between those extremes, which could be a rather mediocre NFL quarterback and more of a backup-caliber signal-caller.

8 minutes ago, Colgateman said:

The geno hate is just plain stupid now.

geno was a much better prospect that sackenberg.

if you see an nfl quarterback in him, u are just blind with your hate geno glasses

Let's separate Geno and Hackenberg, neither has anything to do with one another. Geno was a bad NFL prospect

22 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Has anyone made a coherent case for drafting Hackenberg other than that he's tall and white?

Big arm

Played great under bill Obrien

Stayed loyal to psu when given the chance to bail on the program. 

Fell apart in new system with awful supporting cast.

Tons of upside, tons of question marks. Much like lynch who went in 1st round.  Hackenbergcould have put up gaudy numbers in a spread offense also.

14 minutes ago, LunAticcalm said:

The part that worries me, and this has already been mentioned in another thread, is that we go out there this season and fall flat on our face and end up with a top 3 pick.

We then REFUSE to draft a franchise QB because we have this bum on the roster and take an offensive lineman instead.  Then we wait two more years trying to "develop" this loser and are pretty much spinning our wheels.

Their is only one QB that could make me think of giving Geno another chance and low and behold we ******* took him

Was pointed out to me that Panthers went Claussen then Newton back to back, so at least we got that.

28 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Has anyone made a coherent case for drafting Hackenberg other than that he's tall and white?

maybe we can convert him to a " wes welker " type WR….or a "high motor " D Lineman….other than that I got nothing.

I'll make a case Tom.

Dude definitely has the skillset. He ran a pro Style offense under Bill O'Brien in his first year pretty well.

BIll O'Brien went to Houston. James Franklin came in and the team's been a mess ever since. He has regressed because of lack of good coaching and bad talent around him.

Even when the team was a mess, Hackenberg definitely showed flashes. In a game against Rutgers, when Rutgers first came into the B10 on the road, he led a game winning drive. HE has shown a clutchness in his play.

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I'll make a case Tom.

Dude definitely has the skillset. He ran a pro Style offense under Bill O'Brien in his first year pretty well.

BIll O'Brien went to Houston. James Franklin came in and the team's been a mess ever since. He has regressed because of lack of good coaching and bad talent around him.

Even when the team was a mess, Hackenberg definitely showed flashes. In a game against Rutgers, when Rutgers first came into the B10 on the road, he led a game winning drive. HE has shown a clutchness in his play.

Wow, THE Rutgers?

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I'll make a case Tom.

With all due respect, my friend, Rutgers is an abysmal wasteland that's only known for producing smarmy faux-intellectuals.

9 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Was pointed out to me that Panthers went Claussen then Newton back to back, so at least we got that.

Didn't Jimmy play a few games for that disastrous Panthers team that year and wasn't he also a major dick?

I don't think we will see Hackenberg even in a blowout, and I also bet he plays the good soldier.

I guess I'll have to wait to see what happens, I'm just worried the Jets FO gets all locked up in Hackenberg's "potential" and lets a better talent get away.

9 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I'm not being cheeky. Geno put up video game numbers at WVU. Hackenberg never cracked 60% in any of his three seasons at Penn State.

Neither was I. Hackenberg was a 5 Star recruit, a consensus top prospect coming out of HS. He was pursued by Alabama, Tennessee, and a bunch of Big Programs, and chose PSU when they were still a major program. He played at an almost elite level as an 18 year old true freshman, and was touted as a near lock #1 overall pick running a Pro Style Offense.

He was the victim of NCAA sanctions and sh*t line play. And bad, bad coaching. He was stuffed into a shotgun/pistol Offense he didn't fit, and his footwork went to crap and was never corrected. He was reading Defenses and making line calls at 18, whereas guys.like Geno and Lynch were looking at posters on the sideline and being told what read to make in their last year at school. 

Dude has size, athleticism, and an arm on par with elite level QBs. 

Physical Talent wise, he's the best QB prospect the Jets have drafted in decades. Let's just hope Gailey can "fix" his flaws....

Archived