2016 DRAFT: Day 3 Thread

Fibonacci

OVERVIEW

Burris has been an excellent performer, physical and reliable, since his redshirt freshman season for the Wolfpack. The defensive back made five starts at the nickel spot that first year, playing in every game and intercepting three passes on the year (also with 43 tackles, eight pass break-ups.) In year two, Burris became a full-time starter (53 tackles, interception, 11 PBU). His stats dropped a bit in his junior year (29 tackles, one INT, five PBU) but rebounded a bit in 2015 (38 tackles, three TFL, one INT, seven PBU).

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Good size and weight for a cornerback. Allowed just 34.1 percent completion rate with eight passes defensed. Played press and off man. Plays with smooth backpedal and good route recognition. Has the twitch to spring into action and attack at the catch point. Uses length as disruptive tactic from press. Fluid hips and shows ability to blanket underneath. Allowed just one touchdown in 44 targets. Competitor who doesn't back down from physical challenges. Steps downhill against the run and is willing to sacrifice his body to contain. Runs through blockers on his way to support the run and is a quality tackler with no broken tackles allowed all season.

WEAKNESSES

Relies on his length and height on deep throws over long speed. Has a high center of gravity. Struggled to maintain his base and was knocked off balance from press against Clemson. Can be too quick to declare to outside and give away separation back inside. Long, overlapping strides in mirror technique make functional change of direction a challenge. Penalized six times this season including four pass interference calls.

NFL COMPARISON

Dwayne Gratz

BOTTOM LINE

Three-year starter who brings size and a competitive nature with him. Burris showed improvement as a cover corner this season and his ability to maintain feel and shadow receivers from press was evident. While he only logged three interceptions over his last three seasons, Burris consistently attacked throws and was just a hair away from about four more passes defensed. His traits and ball skills make him a corner to keep an eye on in the all­-star games.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Colgateman said:

Kiper said he is a 7th round pick after he praised him for being an elite press corner but struggles in zone, and a great tackler.

I'm sorry these guys don't know the difference between a 4th and a seventh rounder. Bottom line this was the Jets best available player/ need who would not be available when they would draft again in the 7th round. 

Surprised we didn't take an OT in the 4th round.  This must mean (I hope) that
the offensive staff believe Harrison (RG) & Qvale (RT) are ready to compete for
starting spots 

4 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

And as I said before our old OL did pretty good last year

Pro Football Focus ranked out OL 26th out of 32.

26. New York Jets (13th)

Pass-blocking rank: 22nd

Run-blocking rank: 25th

Penalties rank: 19th

Stud: By virtue of his teammates playing so poorly, the strong run blocking of James Carpenter made him an easy pick.

Dud: Poor in the run game and allowing too much pressure, Breno Giacomini did not have a good year.

Summary: Once a dominating group, this was the year that things finally turned, and the Jets line morphed from productive to problem. Nick Mangold and D’Brickashaw Ferguson just aren’t the players they once were, and there aren’t enough factors to overcome that. This line needs some good, young talent.

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

mccags isn't dumb, he has to know he's got guys who can play on the OL.  i am assuming they like harrison.  at this point tackle is the only need not addressed.

after dumping harris we will have near 40 million in cap space next year. next year will be the year the rebuild comes into its own. hackenberg (if good) will be likely starter and we will have the money and draft picks available to stock talent on the offense. at least this is what i'm telling myself to feel better.

Just now, Tyler Durden said:

Pro Football Focus:

26. New York Jets (13th)

Pass-blocking rank: 22nd

Run-blocking rank: 25th

Penalties rank: 19th

Stud: By virtue of his teammates playing so poorly, the strong run blocking of James Carpenter made him an easy pick.

Dud: Poor in the run game and allowing too much pressure, Breno Giacomini did not have a good year.

Summary: Once a dominating group, this was the year that things finally turned, and the Jets line morphed from productive to problem. Nick Mangold and D’Brickashaw Ferguson just aren’t the players they once were, and there aren’t enough factors to overcome that. This line needs some good, young talent.

so the Jets had their best offensive season ever behind a terrible OL?

I don't buy it, maybe they were not top 5 but they were much better then what people make it out to be.

Strange to compare Burris' combine stats to Darron Lee's:

Lee (6'1, 232): 4.47 forty dash*, 17 reps, 35.5 inch vert, 133 inch broad*, 7.12 3-cone, 4.20 twenty-shuttle* 

Burris: (6'0, 212): 4.53 forty dash, 19 reps*, 36.5 vert*, 122 inch broad, 7.10 3-cone*, 4.40 twenty-shuttle

It's like he's quicker than Lee, but he's not, but he's stronger, with more explosion, but not really. 

5 minutes ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

In all fairness, there's a lot of OL talent that we've been stashing, it's quite possible they think one or two of our investments might actually pan out. Harrison probably has the most talent, just hopefully he can out it together. 

i'll give you they have enough guys at guard, esp. if harrison is ready to compete for a starting spot.  but where is the tackle depth?  

they definitely drafted for need this draft.  every position they've drafted was a key need.  just ignored OL.  did they really need 2 lbs in the first 3 picks?

22 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Strange pick, it is a need but the lack of offensive investment is seriously concerning.

It can be argued this has been a full need-based draft, for all the idol worship & kookaid drinking about Maccagnan's alleged BAP religion. I don't even pretend to be a draft guru of any kind, but last obvious BAP pick was Leonard Williams last year. 

Free Agent OL (still available):

Jake Long (30): coming off of two ACL tears, but is finally healthy.  Pegged to play RT this year, but has LT experience (former #1 overall pick)

Will Beatty (31): torn rotator cuff ended his season, still healing.  Has LT experience, can play RT

Jahri Evans

Louis Vasquez

Ben Grubbs

There are options for potential starters that don't come on Day-3 of the draft, not to mention trades that can happen for disgruntled players (Anthony Davis, RT). 

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

i'll give you they have enough guys at guard, esp. if harrison is ready to compete for a starting spot.  but where is the tackle depth?  

they definitely drafted for need this draft.  every position they've drafted was a key need.  just ignored OL.  did they really need 2 lbs in the first 3 picks?

I'd say yes. Demario is already gone and Harris is done at the end of the season, at the very most one more year. Outside of Mauldin we have sh*t at OLB. This team just is old and slow at far too many spots. It's still moot until we find a QB, so I honestly don't care who they draft so long as they're good, young and fast. 

He replaces cromartie.. 6'2 4.5 40

http://lombardiave.com/2016/03/07/green-bay-packers-2016-nfl-draft-interview-juston-burris/

Some interview he did.

"

Q. Are there any NFL players (past or present) that you study, model your game after, or feel you draw comparisons to?

Burris: I think the biggest one would have to be Richard Sherman. He’s a long corner who can disrupt receivers and completely shut down one side of the field. In college we reviewed film of the Seahawks’ press technique and I try to find little things in his game that I can bring into my own.

Archived