2016 DRAFT: Day 3 Thread

Fibonacci

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this is the type of pick where you hope having a real gm with a scouting backround pays off.  he started 4 years in the SEC and held his own, and that says something.  i will assume he winds up as a swing tackle who provides good depth, and that's pretty good for a 5th rounder.

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Guess they couldn't wait until round 7. Backup NT coming up. 

Totally BAP-based drafting and not a need-based draft at all. Sure. After they compiled their BAP list based on need, lol.

I think in general most teams go BAP in rd 1, take chances in rd 2, and go need after that

20 minutes ago, Larz said:

I think in general most teams go BAP in rd 1, take chances in rd 2, and go need after that

Later rounds is where you should go BAP. It's hard enough to nail NFL-talent alone that late. To place the further constraint of "need" upon those picks is asking for them to be wastes or hoping for stupid luck. Use free agency for needs, where you can pick & choose without worrying about players not being able to handle the needed tasks. Even more so when we're a team without a good enough starting QB, using late picks for present need is how you end up with soon to be cut camp fodder & for populating practice squads.

Man, even when they finally address the offensive line, they still piss me off.

A future 4th for a 5th? Great trade, guys! #math

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trading a 4th for a 5th for a bottom tier OLineman?

I'm starting to feel sorry for Jets fans.

Wow.

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Later rounds is where you should go BAP. It's hard enough to nail a combination of talent alone that late. To place the further constraint of "need" upon those picks is asking for them to be wastes. Use free agency for needs, where you can pick & choose without worrying about players not being able to handle the needed tasks. Even more so when we're a team without a good enough starting QB, using late picks for present need is how you end up with soon to be cut camp fodder & for populating practice squads.

special teams and depth are needs.  you aren't getting starters after rd 4, (spare me the jason ferguson legend).   I wasn't referring to starters.  teams are looking at developmental prospects and special teams here, as they should be.

btw, using  italics for emphasis is really lame, lol

16 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

well all that rhetoric from mccags about BAP - throw it all out.  no wr, no rb, no dl.  and no TE, which shows you how much they value that position.

Even funnier are the songbirds signing his praises along the lines of "Maccagnan always drafts BAP!"  I could even argue that Williams was somewhat need-based, since he was trying to unload Mo back then as well, and probably figured at worst he'd have no trouble trading him next year as well. He knew he didn't want to meet Mo's demands when he was handing out huge contracts to everyone not named Muhammad Wilkerson last year.

Had he taken a CB last year, or if he'd doubled-up at the same position with a later pick, then you could say he's clearly just taking the best player almost regardless of position.

Here is the Maccagnan draft philosophy: try to fill every position before draft day so you don't get painted into a corner & need to reach too badly. Then draft the BAP, but that BAP list is compiled with the heaviest of thumbs on the scale to base it on need, this year or next year. So for example, this year he would (correctly) either not have any DTs in his top 100 prospects outright, or if he did he would have a * next to their names, as in do not touch unless he's rated a minimum full round better than the next-highest rated prospect when our pick comes up. There's a name for that drafting philosophy: it's called drafting purely for need. 

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

Well Kevin Hogan went to KC. What about my guy Vernon Adams. I thought the 49ers might select him in the 4th or the 5th but so far still on the board. Same with my guy Scoobie Wright. We need a punter bad. 

I don't understand how Scoobie wright is still on the board, I thought he would of gone in the 4-5 range, maybe character concerns?

24 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Wrong. Snacks, Ivory and Davis

Pretty sure I'm not wrong. You don't just get comp picks for losing guys.

Those three qualifying UFA's the Jets lost are cancelled out by the signings of Forte, McLendon, and Jenkins. Believe there's a chance they get a late compensatory pick based on the salary difference, and they would get a compensatory pick if they lose another qualifying UFA. But as things stand right now they are projected to get 0 compensatory picks next year. Certainly not three.

Archived