Would anyone be shocked if we cut David Harris?

Stonehands

With Bruce Carter, Erin Henderson, Darron Lee and Taiwan Jones on the roster, do we consider cutting an expensive guy?  I love David Harris, but the money to pay Fitz has to come from somewhere.  Let's be real, when you talk about the lack of speed at linebacker on this club, the one constant is Harris.   Ok, now I will duck and await everyone's responses. :)

Just now, Larz said:

as slow as he is and as much as he drives me nuts, there isn't a starter on the team the jets should cut to sign fitz

cutting Harris = 2016 cap savings of ZERO.  His 2016 salary is fully guaranteed.

/endthread

Just now, Irish Jet said:

Do you even Breno?

I think breno is on thin ice, but that's more to clear cap for the rookies and the usual $5 million you need just for in-season injury signings.

finding an extra $8 million for fitz means you are wading into the wilkerson or mangold pool, that's just suicide

10 minutes ago, Stonehands said:

With Bruce Carter, Erin Henderson, Darron Lee and Taiwan Jones on the roster, do we consider cutting an expensive guy?  I love David Harris, but the money to pay Fitz has to come from somewhere.  Let's be real, when you talk about the lack of speed at linebacker on this club, the one constant is Harris.   Ok, now I will duck and await everyone's responses. :)

The HELL WITH FITZPATRICK!!!!!!!  MY GOD WHATS WRONG WITH  YOU PEOPLE WANTING TO CUT 1 OF OUR BEST AND RELIABLE DEFENSIVE PLAYERS FOR A JOURNEYMAN BUM GREEDY QB............PLEASE STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8 minutes ago, Stonehands said:

Yes, he is fully guaranteed, which means he makes the full amount if he is on the team or not.

Plus, someone needs to be on the defense who knows what plays we are running, and how to line everyone up

4 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Yes, he is fully guaranteed, which means he makes the full amount if he is on the team or not.

Plus, someone needs to be on the defense who knows what plays we are running, and how to line everyone up

Exactly why dont we cut everyone and just sign Fitzpatrick its all that matters. 

dead-horse.gif

It would be a bad idea but not for the crazy fan reasoning that we're seeing on this post. He's just our best tackler and we already lost Snacks to stop the running game. Those other guys couldn't replicate those numbers. 

Conversely, maybe we should cut Harris to let him sign on with an actual contender, if we plan to be a consistent loser gunning for future high draft picks by starting Geno Smith and "developing QB's" the next few years.

I love Harris, mostly because I love LBs that have played productively and acted like leaders. He had  yet another solid season, but the tough-nosed, Big 10, ILB types are going the way of the hula-hoop.

Speed is the name of today's game, and SEC, fast-twitch mutha effers that move all around pre-snap are King. Harris, and ILBs like him, are a dying breed. 

He frustrates me because he's slowing down, but he's been a dependable Jet. 

1 hour ago, Stonehands said:

Didn't he have like 130 tackles last year?

1 hour ago, Larz said:

I think breno is on thin ice, but that's more to clear cap for the rookies and the usual $5 million you need just for in-season injury signings.

finding an extra $8 million for fitz means you are wading into the wilkerson or mangold pool, that's just suicide

Nah they'll move stuff around and get a deal done. Wait and see. I still think it will be a two year deal and the plan will be for him to start the duration of it before handing it over to Hack. Idealistic IMO but I'm guessing that will be the plan.

Fiztpatrick is actually worth more to us now than before the draft - Unlike Geno he's a viable stop gap who can actually play the bridge role because he can keep the team competitive. Jets fans are just done with Geno and we'll have people calling for Hack within a preseason game. That is suicide.

He's also the kind of veteran you'd want actually want around young raw QB's, having overcome some pretty heavy odds to make in the NFL himself. I think he's a solid investment for both the immediate and long term future. I think we're a playoff team and borderline Superbowl next year btw. Quote me on it.

5 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Nah they'll move stuff around and get a deal done. Wait and see. I still think it will be a two year deal and the plan will be for him to start the duration of it before handing it over to Hack. Idealistic IMO but I'm guessing that will be the plan.

Fiztpatrick is actually worth more to us now than before the draft - Unlike Geno he's a viable stop gap who can actually play the bridge role because he can keep the team competitive. Jets fans are just done with Geno and we'll have people calling for Hack within a preseason game. That is suicide.

He's also the kind of veteran you'd want actually want around young raw QB's, having overcome some pretty heavy odds to make in the NFL himself. I think he's a solid investment for both the immediate and long term future. I think we're a playoff team and borderline Superbowl next year btw. Quote me on it.

unless you get a bunch of guys to take straight pay-cuts any reworking of a deal is like paying off a credit card with a credit card, you get through the month, then its just worse.

they actually could get as much relief just by doing a long term deal with mo.

the jets need to clear about $6 million just to operate, and $14- $16 million million to operate and sign fitz

if macc pulls that off without losing mo or mangold , he's executive of the decade

1 hour ago, Stonehands said:

WTF is wrong with people wanting to cut starters for a garbage backup QB? When you talk about lack of playoffs, the one constant is Fitz, not Harris. 

Yes, I would be shocked and would send money to the banner people to have Mac fired on the spot

With all of that "speed" the Jets still need players to stop the run, Harris is a rock star in that regard 

Harris deserves respect and I expect him to retire as a Jet

Plus he gets paid regardless, the OP suggestion would be one of the dumbest moves in the history of the Jets and that is saying something

4 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

The HELL WITH FITZPATRICK!!!!!!!  MY GOD WHATS WRONG WITH  YOU PEOPLE WANTING TO CUT 1 OF OUR BEST AND RELIABLE DEFENSIVE PLAYERS FOR A JOURNEYMAN BUM GREEDY QB............PLEASE STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

would you trade Revis if it cleared enough space to sign Fitz

9 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

would you trade Revis if it cleared enough space to sign Fitz

I probably would, but not cause Fitz. I don't know what the point of having Revis at his cap hit is if the coaching staff isn't going to let him play man against Sammy Watkins the one game we can't lose. Even if you have to give him help over the top we let 1 guy beat us and missed the playoffs because of it

Archived