2016 QB: If No Fitz, The Position MUST be Open Competition

Warfish

On 6 May 2016 at 1:59 AM, johnnysd said:

It's WAY more of a throwaway year if Fitz starts. Way, way ****king more. Starting Fitz is the worst possible thing this team could do. It does nothing to help the rookies, we completely give up on Geno and we have the same questions marks going into next year. I want nothing of Fitz mentoring our young guys, he is a crappy, incredibly overrated player that people think is smart because of "harvard" but is actually very bad at understanding the QB position. The only way he has been successful is in a single read offense with jumbo receivers. Fuuck him. Start any of the three young guys. Only way to go

This is a bad post.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, greenwave81 said:

Smoked? LMAO.

Fitz was coming off a broken leg, and Geno had all the reps.  Geno is a lost cause.

If we have to spend a some games this season showing that once and for all, whatever

Lost cause? It was like Geno was having a bad camp and Fitz was hurt so he just "couldnt" compete. This is the problem. We have this conversation and we get all kinds of Fitz excuses, "He had a broke leg, Geno had all the reps". Fitz having a broke leg has nothing to do with the fact that he had a very good camp. He moved the offense daily, put up points daily and didnt throw a pick in over a month. It got to the point where reporters were even saying that "There is no way Geno could lose his starting job unless he went out and threw like 4 or 5 picks in a row at camp". In otherwords, it was a competition which Fitz fully participated in. Geno got most of the reps because he was the defacto starter. Whats wrong with admitting this and quit the the excuses? 

You talk about Geno being a lost cause, well, his first 2 years in the league was utterly ridiculous with the talent around him...and not just talent but coaching. Fitz had the 9th best defense in the league last year, keeping teams from running up the score. Geno's first 2 years?  Geno's rookie year the Jets were19th on defense in 2013 and the Jets went 8-8 during a Season where Geno should have sat if it wasnt for Rex wanting to win the Snoopy Bowl so bad (coaching). 

Geno's 2nd year? The defense was 24th in the league. Do you remember that year? I call that "The year we couldnt stop a team on 3rd down". This is also the year where the bad contracts were fully purged by we didnt replenish the team with talent. Geno went 4-12. 

Rex is fired, Bowles comes in and brings a guy in Chan Gailey that knows how to run an offense, suddenly Geno is having a very good camp...no INT's, not holding on to the ball long (design of the offense), a legit #1 and #2 targets to throw to and moving the offense down the field against a 2015 defense that was ranked top 10 by years end. 

Fitz lucked into a situation where he had all that talent, he didnt "win" the competition. People talk about Fitz having a broke leg, well thats funny...because Geno got punched I think 2 days before a preseason game and Fitz was absolutely fine from that moment on....so which is it? Was he injured throughout the entire competition then suddenly 100% okay the moment Geno got punched....thats how tha happened. People love to criticize Geno's Oakland performance but if you were to average those numbers out over 16 games his stats would have been better than Fitz. 

Geno was smoking Fitz in training camp, period. No need to give excuses. I dont see people running to Geno's defense with actual facts so I dont want to hear about Fitzpatrick's. If Fitz was "so much better" Macc would have franchised him. Instead he decided to keep Geno around and then draft a QB and Fitz is STILL not a Jet. 

The only "Lost cause" here is Fitz fans thinking he's a Franchise QB. He had the easiest schedule possibly in Jets history with the most potent offense I've ever the Jets field and a top 10 defense.....and couldnt make the playoffs. Thinking that Fitz is anything more than what he is, is the only lost cause here. 

I think if there is no Fitz on our roster they MUST hand the job to Geno. He is going to win the competition anyway and all the competition is going to do is take valuable snaps away from him and divide the team. Let the young kids learn and let Geno sink or swim. I know most of the forum hates the idea of starting Geno and honestly i dont love it either but right now is he the only one on our roster who is ready to play without further damaging his career.

18 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Lost cause? It was like Geno was having a bad camp and Fitz was hurt so he just "couldnt" compete. This is the problem. We have this conversation and we get all kinds of Fitz excuses, "He had a broke leg, Geno had all the reps". Fitz having a broke leg has nothing to do with the fact that he had a very good camp. He moved the offense daily, put up points daily and didnt throw a pick in over a month. It got to the point where reporters were even saying that "There is no way Geno could lose his starting job unless he went out and threw like 4 or 5 picks in a row at camp". In otherwords, it was a competition which Fitz fully participated in. Geno got most of the reps because he was the defacto starter. Whats wrong with admitting this and quit the the excuses? 

You talk about Geno being a lost cause, well, his first 2 years in the league was utterly ridiculous with the talent around him...and not just talent but coaching. Fitz had the 9th best defense in the league last year, keeping teams from running up the score. Geno's first 2 years?  Geno's rookie year the Jets were19th on defense in 2013 and the Jets went 8-8 during a Season where Geno should have sat if it wasnt for Rex wanting to win the Snoopy Bowl so bad (coaching). 

Geno's 2nd year? The defense was 24th in the league. Do you remember that year? I call that "The year we couldnt stop a team on 3rd down". This is also the year where the bad contracts were fully purged by we didnt replenish the team with talent. Geno went 4-12. 

Rex is fired, Bowles comes in and brings a guy in Chan Gailey that knows how to run an offense, suddenly Geno is having a very good camp...no INT's, not holding on to the ball long (design of the offense), a legit #1 and #2 targets to throw to and moving the offense down the field against a 2015 defense that was ranked top 10 by years end. 

Fitz lucked into a situation where he had all that talent, he didnt "win" the competition. People talk about Fitz having a broke leg, well thats funny...because Geno got punched I think 2 days before a preseason game and Fitz was absolutely fine from that moment on....so which is it? Was he injured throughout the entire competition then suddenly 100% okay the moment Geno got punched....thats how tha happened. People love to criticize Geno's Oakland performance but if you were to average those numbers out over 16 games his stats would have been better than Fitz. 

Geno was smoking Fitz in training camp, period. No need to give excuses. I dont see people running to Geno's defense with actual facts so I dont want to hear about Fitzpatrick's. If Fitz was "so much better" Macc would have franchised him. Instead he decided to keep Geno around and then draft a QB and Fitz is STILL not a Jet. 

The only "Lost cause" here is Fitz fans thinking he's a Franchise QB. He had the easiest schedule possibly in Jets history with the most potent offense I've ever the Jets field and a top 10 defense.....and couldnt make the playoffs. Thinking that Fitz is anything more than what he is, is the only lost cause here. 

THIS is actually an excellent post:    

The fact is that Fitz came in and played way way above what anyone expected so we ALL lost sight of how well Geno was doing in camp.  

Fitz elevated our here-to-fore QB position all the way up to average.  We were all in shock and awe to have an average QB, me included.

The Oakland game not withstanding, there is no reason on earth the be "confidant" that Geno can't pick up where he left off last year and be an average QB.    

10 hours ago, Warfish said:

Says the guy who in one breath says Geno earned the job, and in another angrily says he never said it.

Wake me when you can remember your own posts five minutes after you post them flip-flops.

Wake me up when you actually make sense.  I'm sorry you cant distinguish between Geno was leading, hadnt lost the job and Fitz never earned it with Geno won the job.  I know it doesnt fit your idiotic contention that theyre one and the same and therefore saying Fitz never won the job is wrong.  Nice spin.   

Wake me when you grow up and just admit you hate Geno.  You know, instead of jumping from one argument to another, dancing around this point. 

On 5/5/2016 at 5:28 PM, Warfish said:

Thread title says it all.

If, as news continues out of Jets land continues to lean, Fitz is not going to be (or not able to be) resigned, then we go into 2016 with Geno Smith, Bryce Petty and the Hack.

If that is the case, such is life.  I, and I think most, Jets Fans can accept that and understand Macc, that Fitz was being unreal with his 16 mil demands (he is), and in being unwilling to come down to reality, the decision was made by Fitz, not the Jets, to not come back.

Fine.

But moving forward, with Geno, Petty and Hack, the Jets simply cannot and should not annoint any one of them the starter without having to win the job, on the field, this coming camp/pre-season.  No chance in hell.

Geno Smith has not earned the right.  He didn't earn it when he was drafted, and his play to-date hasn't earned it.

Neither, it should be said, has Petty.

So lets do what we seemingly havn't done is a decade or more......actually allow the three QB's we have to compete, on an even, fair, non-predetermined basis, and see who actually wins the job.

Then we go from there.  Winner plays, the others sit and backup, and 2017 decisions will be based on how 2016 plays out.

It's not how I would have preferred things to go, but it's the only way they should go now (with no Fitz) going forward.

What say you?

First of all, I agree with all of this. Even if he only wins it by default, because the other 2 are basically unusable at this point, that's still preferable to just handing Geno the job outright with another faux competition.

But a week or so ago, weren't you saying Hackenberg should sit basically no matter what? If he can straighten himself back out as quickly as he got messed-up, this Jets' offense:

1. is a comparatively easy one to grasp and succeed in; 
  2. has one of - if not the - league's best pair of veteran wideouts still in their prime, plus whatever else Smith/Amaro/etc add is bonus;
  3. has 2 excellent receiving + blitz-blocking RBs, so if one is injured or winded he's not all on his own;
  4. will likely field the best OL he's ever played behind (assuming Clady plays);

so it's a rare opportunity for a young/rookie QB. Most of the time these inexperienced QBs are thrown into crappy situations on crappy teams. 

However, if throwing him out there is going to reinforce the bad instinctual habits he's picked up & hasn't gotten out of yet, like throwing off-balance & sidearm without good reason, then I agree let Geno (or Petty, if he looks good) go out there and get clobbered - if not humiliated - by those first opponents (Cin, Buf, KC, Sea). Those teams are likely to eat a rookie QB alive and not even bother to spit out the bones. After that ugly start, it's Pit-Ari-Bal-Cle-Mia and I'm more comfortable with that being his first stretch. Plus by then no one will be yelling/pressuring to put Geno back out there lol.

4 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

THIS is actually an excellent post:    

The fact is that Fitz came in and played way way above what anyone expected so we ALL lost sight of how well Geno was doing in camp.  

Fitz elevated our here-to-fore QB position all the way up to average.  We were all in shock and awe to have an average QB, me included.

The Oakland game not withstanding, there is no reason on earth the be "confidant" that Geno can't pick up where he left off last year and be an average QB.    

Exactly. Fitz had a GREAT season for what its worth. Macc put together a competitive team and when Fitz number was called the dude answered and most definitely overachieved. But people dont have to continue to downplay Geno Smith to make Fitz relevant. This is the funny thing, and yes, this is assumption but a pretty good one imo. Here it is....

We drafted a project in Petty last season and hid him on the depth chart for development. This year we draft Christian Hackenberg. That should let us know that Petty hasn't shown signs that would indicate that he is the future of this team. Geno beats Fitz in a competition but dude to getting punched in the face and getting his jaw broke, Fitz is thrown in due to injury, started 3-0 and never looked back. The coaching staff wanted to ride the wave, lets face it, its basically everyone's first year. Its Macc's first year and he ends up being Executive of the year. Its Bowles first year and he's in the running for coach of the year. As a team, there was no reason to mess with the situation. 

Many remember casually taking out of context the "max 6 wins" comment of mine, but what most dont remember is that when many here on this forum was criticism Fitz after that Colts game, I was one of the guys that supported him and stated that "at the end of the day, we're winning. Thats most important". Now that the season is over, we see that Macc feels confident enough NOT to give Fitz 15 million, but instead move forward with Geno as the starter. Maybe because Geno was doing alot of what he was doing last offseason during training camp. 

We can only talk about these players, Macc see's them every day. Why is it that we can support Macc with any other position except the QB position? If finding a franchise QB was as simply as arguing on Jetnation then I think Macc would have accomplished it already. Geno Smith has instilled enough confidence with the head man in charge to where Macc feels like he doesnt have to over step for a guy. Thats saying alot. 

All Fitz did was play average. But being an average QB around playmaking talent on offense and a top 10 defense can really make a difference. We can call Geno "stupid" and a "lost cause" all day long here, but he's a professional athlete that was taken in the 2nd round of the NFL draft. The guy has talent. He may not be the "leader" as Fitz, he may not have the "mind" as Hackenberg, but Geno has his own style of talent that he can bring to the table. Him getting 1 year off to learn a system that made him instantly better (last year's training camp for example) is only going to serve him well. Maybe he took heed to the leadership qualities sitting behind Fitz for a year....think about it. Fitz didnt come in as a starter, so not only did Fitz have to be humble in supporting Geno when he was "the man" but Fitz also showed how to handle things when his named was called. Geno was around for all of that. And though he may have been salty at the beginning, (getting your jaw broke, being embarrassed like that, come back to the team and realize your job has been taken) all this is probably sitting in Geno's mind, KNOWING that this is his opportunity to secure himself a job, either with the Jets or with another team next season. 

Fitz did well, but we should not pretend that last season based on schedule, talent and expectations wasnt a failure. That was a playoff team from jump. Now Geno may have an opportunity here, but there will be no easy schedule. These games will be hard fought...the type of season that reveals the type of player you REALLY are. Not winning 10 games against the easiest schedule possible and still missing the playoffs. sh*t, Carolina also had an overall easy schedule, but they rode that schedule to the SB while beating up on every playoff team to get there. There's a difference. 

If Macc brings back Fitz, great. If he sticks with Geno, great. I've seen enough from Macc for me to trust his judgement. I didnt like that Hackenberg pick initially....MOST OF US DIDNT. But after looking for ourselves, we started to see what our GM saw. So if he thinks that going with Geno is better than paying Fitz 15 million I expect everyone to be on board and cut it out with all these Fitz excuses. 

Geno is someone that you just don't want on your team. He's dumb, has poor leadership skills, he pouts and he's just a bad teammate in general. That's all aside from being a horrendous QB. Going back to the original point, we're building a team here - lockerroom chemistry is a crucial aspect of that. And Geno Smith isn't conducive to that, more likely he is destructive towards that goal. 

Start literally anyone but Geno. In fact, he should be cut today. 

On May 5, 2016 at 5:28 PM, Warfish said:

Thread title says it all.

If, as news continues out of Jets land continues to lean, Fitz is not going to be (or not able to be) resigned, then we go into 2016 with Geno Smith, Bryce Petty and the Hack.

If that is the case, such is life.  I, and I think most, Jets Fans can accept that and understand Macc, that Fitz was being unreal with his 16 mil demands (he is), and in being unwilling to come down to reality, the decision was made by Fitz, not the Jets, to not come back.

Fine.

But moving forward, with Geno, Petty and Hack, the Jets simply cannot and should not annoint any one of them the starter without having to win the job, on the field, this coming camp/pre-season.  No chance in hell.

Geno Smith has not earned the right.  He didn't earn it when he was drafted, and his play to-date hasn't earned it.

Neither, it should be said, has Petty.

So lets do what we seemingly havn't done is a decade or more......actually allow the three QB's we have to compete, on an even, fair, non-predetermined basis, and see who actually wins the job.

Then we go from there.  Winner plays, the others sit and backup, and 2017 decisions will be based on how 2016 plays out.

It's not how I would have preferred things to go, but it's the only way they should go now (with no Fitz) going forward.

What say you?

If no Fitz, and no other veteran signing, I am sure it will be an open competition, but Geno will probably win it.  Then he will get his ass kicked by an assistant equipment manager he refused to pay off  a $10 bet to and Bowles will cut him in disgust.

1 hour ago, Saul Goodman said:

Geno is someone that you just don't want on your team. He's dumb, has poor leadership skills, he pouts and he's just a bad teammate in general. That's all aside from being a horrendous QB. Going back to the original point, we're building a team here - lockerroom chemistry is a crucial aspect of that. And Geno Smith isn't conducive to that, more likely he is destructive towards that goal. 

Seems like the people around him dont see it that way. 

8 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

A long, passionate and spirited defense (full of fiction and half truth tho it may be) of Geno Smith......by the guy on JN who most wanted to replace Geno Smith.  With MIke Glennon at that.

Guess now the Glennon is clearly not coming to the Jets, we know rather clearly who you're supporting now.  

P.S. No one think Fitz is a Franchise QB.  No one.

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

Seems like the people around him dont see it that way. 

This regime drafted decent QB prospects two years in a row. I don't think that the team believes in Geno at all. I'm sticking to my prediction that he gets cut as soon as Fitz gets signed (both of these I believe will occur before June mini-camp). 

53 minutes ago, Warfish said:

A long, passionate and spirited defense (full of fiction and half truth tho it may be) of Geno Smith......by the guy on JN who most wanted to replace Geno Smith.  With MIke Glennon at that.

Guess now the Glennon is clearly not coming to the Jets, we know rather clearly who you're supporting now.  

P.S. No one think Fitz is a Franchise QB.  No one.

A short, impassionate response that includes Mike Glennon. 

I dont care about this. Atleast it wasnt long. 

5 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

A short, impassionate response that includes Mike Glennon. 

I dont care about this. Atleast it wasnt long. 

/chuckle

Pretty obvious when you, a well know long-winded blowhard (like me, to be fair), have no answer when challenged.

If you thought so much of Geno, one cannot help but wonder why you were so deeply dedicated, devoted one might say, to replacing him with Glennon.

P.S. Sorry I broke your "People who say Fitz is Franchise QB" strawman.  But it was awful shabby, tbh.

1 minute ago, Big Blocker said:

Yes I do.  And Smith is the very definition of garbage.

Prior to the 2015 season Fitzpatrick was also garbage the 2015 NY Jets were a playoff team he derailed all that when we needed him most the story of his career. 

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 1:31 PM, Saul Goodman said:

Combining the horrendous Qb aspect with the bad teammate one, and I find the Smith Fan position to be completely untenable.  And yet we see imo too many here who are Smith Fans.  How to explain?

Other than those who might be personal friends (does he have any?) or even family members, it is probably some combination of wishful thinking and cognitive dissonance.  How to ignore that he has no leadership skills, and the obvious signals that the other players do not view him as a leader?  I can't make much of the position that requires such a leap of faith in disregard of the evidence.

Like you I expect the Jets will sign Fitz and then cut Smith.  We'll see how things go with the Smith Fans when that happens.

8 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Prior to the 2015 season Fitzpatrick was also garbage the 2015 NY Jets were a playoff team he derailed all that when we needed him most the story of his career. 

That is incorrect.  But I am not surprised a Smith Fan has such a blatant disregard for the facts.

In 2014 in 12 games RF had an 8 ypa, threw 17 tds to only 8 ints., and had a 95.3 Qb rating. 

That is not garbage, not even close.

It is a problem trying to have an intelligent discussion with those who seem willfully ill informed.

1 minute ago, Big Blocker said:

That is incorrect.  But I am not surprised a Smith Fan has such a blatant disregard for the facts.

In 2014 in 12 games RF had an 8 ypa, threw 17 tds to only 8 ints., and had a 95.3 Qb rating. 

That is not garbage, not even close.

It is a problem trying to have an intelligent discussion with those who seem willfully ill informed.

How many games did he win in 2014 and if he was so good why wasn't he re-signed. 

51 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

How many games did he win in 2014 and if he was so good why wasn't he re-signed. 

He was 6-5 as a starter in (2014) on a team that had been 2-14 the previous year. Bill O'Brien likely wanted his own QB...it was a joke how he played musical chairs with the position last year...he also really, really wanted Hoyer last season. He's got his guy in Osweiler now...curious to see how that works out.

our newly draft pick will never be ready-he sucks something awful

we should have gone lynch who elway said looks great and is MUCH further along that most thought-bunch of teams tried to actually trade up for him-Nobody wanted our sh*tty qb

Lynch took a weak talented team to bowl games and was a great leader-our pick-regressed greatly and blamed everybody around him

we drafted the next todd blacklege-yay team ;(

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

You are changing the metric with such questions.  Was his performance in 2014 garbage?

Obviously not.  So you were wrong, and have a choice to either accept such fact or try to spin your way out of it.  Just be stand up and admit you were wrong.

15 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

You are changing the metric with such questions.  Was his performance in 2014 garbage?

Obviously not.  So you were wrong, and have a choice to either accept such fact or try to spin your way out of it.  Just be stand up and admit you were wrong.

Ryan Fitzpatrick is a mediocre QB he is not a franchise QB or he is worth the money he's demanding. 

Archived