Jets Offensive n Defensive Breakout Player Prediction

j4jets

13 hours ago, jdeacon said:

The optimism of the off season, i love it every year.

Offense - This will not be a popular pick but it will be Geno Smith. Throwing the ball to marshall and decker with forte lining up in the backfield he will register a better season than fitz last year.

Defense - Calvin Pryor. Third year player, second year in the system I expect him to break out and be the difference maker in the backfield.

This guy gets it. 

POTY 

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Offense: Jace Amaro: I think Amaro is gonna find some success in an offense that has a bunch of touches up for grabs after Marsh, Decker, and Forte...

Defense: Calvin Pryor: He will come into his own as one of the better Strong Safeties in the league...borderline Pro Bowl level..liked the way he started to settle in last year under Bowles' tutelage. He was missed in that stretch of games he was hurt last year 

OFFENSE:  Shell - forced into service along with QUALE.  Unlikely pair of book ends.

Defense:  Wish I could say it would be Milner or Mc Dougle, who spends too much time at his restaurant 

Williams will start and have a good year, he has been consistent over 2 years, he should be fined 

by the league for making it look easy out there.

21 hours ago, j4jets said:

Offense: I have a few players for this role, including Amaro n Enunwa, but my vote is Devin Smith. His limited production was a combination of Fitz' limited arm strength n lack of timing between the QBs besides the NFL speed adjustment. Most of that will be answered by the virtue of time. 50+ receptions, 700+ yards, 8TDs  

Defense: I'm hoping Mauldin has a big year but my vote is Leonard Williams. He should be a full time starter by wk1 this year I believe. He'll prove his "best player of the draft" status. 10+ sacks. 

Lmao at blaming Fitz for Smith sucking. 

I don't think anyone on the O will be "breakout".  Marshall/Decker/Forte are all know performers, they won't be better and likely will be worse in 2016 as things stand today.

The fringe guys, #3/#4 WR's, Powell, Amaro, I don't see any as breakout players with this roster.

On D, I expect a better front 7, and a much worse back 4.  Revis will continue to decline, quickly, and Skrine will prove unworthy of the starting #2 spot.  Safety could be ok.

The two new LB's and one newish old linebacker (Maudlin) may be the only possible breakouts.  Mo/Sheld/Willaims are again, known performers now.

Besides Leonard Williams, I don't see anyone having a breakout year on offense. The draft was mishandled as far as I am concerned and their record will truly reflect that misdirection. I have already said this team will NOT have the kind of success they had last season. I predict 6 wins at best.....

Sheldon on defense. He'll have a magnificent year. He played out of position and will return to DL.  Even if he misses a few games, I look for him to make a big mark seeing how this is his 'prove it year'.  He's playing for a new contract and that's motivation of the highest degree.  On offence, Geno of course.  But that vote comes form opposing teams as he'll be hitting cb's right on the numbers.   

16 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Devin Smith has zero chance to breakout with Fitz at QB. Fitz doesn't have the arm strength to take advantage of a speedster. That is why big/possession WRs like Marshall/Decker were able to excel. If Hackenberg could somehow breakout then a kid like smith could surprise....assuming he is healthy. 

yeah because all those passes that hit him in the hands were just too much for him to deal with

Hmmmm....I think I like Pryor for the same reason as Lee on the D - another guy who should benefit from playing behind Wilkerson and Co. I might agree on Richardson stepping it up as he works toward his Suh+ contract FA dream, but the 5th year option being picked up holds me back for another year. I could see him being traded after this season if he has a good year THO - no need to do the whole FA year drama a 4th time, especially since he's easily the one among that group who is least worth a huge commit.

On 5/6/2016 at 1:23 PM, SenorGato said:

Offense: Lol - Since this one is a shot in the dark I am going with youth on the OL. Shell, Dozier, Qvale, and Harrison have talent, I think more than one will make a significant contribution.

Defense: Lee and Wilkerson - They'll have an oxpecker/rhino relationship. Wilkerson will make it tough for even the basic and/or casual fans to keep underrating.

8664908.jpg?306

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

I watched the game or as much as I could since sound 1980. Geno is a top five worst full season starting QB in Jets history and Smith sucked last year. 

I thought we were talking about Fitz, but good for you. I don't agree agree on the Geno part and Smith did suck. However, his performance was further limited due to Fitz. Go watch the first 20-30 passes to Devin and you'll know what I mean.

True "breakout" (Amaro led all rookies his rookie year in catches)

So: offense- Charone Peake (blows away the offensive coaches in camp & takes Smith place after Smith starts on PUP)

Defense: this one takes about 4/5 games into the season but Lee becomes Bowles Jack of all trades.

Offense - Forte is gonna be the best back we ever had. I hope (the big "if") our QB play helps that come to fruition.

Defense - McDougal!!! lol..I'm still holding out hope. It's a long shot w Williams looking like next man up at the position, but I really loved mcdougals college film and I thought he was gonna display top notch ball skills. Cmon dex, it's only me and your mom believing in you at this point!

I thought pryors bust out year was last year. Had a very good year after lots and lots of doubters all off-season. 

11 hours ago, j4jets said:

I thought we were talking about Fitz, but good for you. I don't agree agree on the Geno part and Smith did suck. However, his performance was further limited due to Fitz. Go watch the first 20-30 passes to Devin and you'll know what I mean.

I'm a big supporter of Fitz, and I think our playoff chances are better if he's our starter, but this is true. I can recall at least a few passes where smith flew by his guy only to have the long pass off its mark or under thrown. 

1 hour ago, Shadetree said:

I'm a big supporter of Fitz, and I think our playoff chances are better if he's our starter

That really reads to me like, "I love my Toyota Corolla, and I think I have a great shot of winning some 1/4 mile races with it."

15 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

28 targets

9 receptions

1 drop

The weekly "deep" ball to Smith that Fitz underthrew literally every time was a personal highlight for me. If Smith was allowed to fair catch those, he may have had a chance.

4 hours ago, Shadetree said:

Offense - Forte is gonna be the best back we ever had. I hope (the big "if") our QB play helps that come to fruition.

Defense - McDougal!!! lol..I'm still holding out hope. It's a long shot w Williams looking like next man up at the position, but I really loved mcdougals college film and I thought he was gonna display top notch ball skills. Cmon dex, it's only me and your mom believing in you at this point!

I thought pryors bust out year was last year. Had a very good year after lots and lots of doubters all off-season. 

Forte will be better than Freeman McNeil and Curtis Martin?   This I would be very happy with. 

Archived