MMQB Story (Hackenberg Meeting)

KRL

2 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

20/20 hindsight is we stayed put at 51 and that puts a ceiling on how much we like him. Obvious first response to that is that operation hush-hush was a rousing success and there weren't any conspicuous landing spots ahead of us so we didn't need to spend any extra capital to lock it up, but that's nonsense. As the picks come off the board and the cost to jump on the clock diminishes, at some point it becomes mandatory to make a move if it's to secure a quarterback you feel as strongly about as people would like to believe Maccagnan feels about Hackenberg. We sat back and let him come to us instead. The one thing this unequivocally means is that we were totally prepared to miss out on this player. But words so favorite so Super Bowl.

Yeah, sure it does.  It couldnt possibly mean Macc played it 100% right, got his guy and didnt have to spend picks to get him.  

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sanchez > Geno

Much as I wanted Sanchez replaced, and think Sanchez will never be more than a serviceable, average-at-best veteran QB, he's still better than Geno, and I'd take him in a heartbeat over Geno in 2016 with this Jets roster.

3 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

I've struggled to figure out what separated Paxton Lynch from Bryce Petty. The stuff you read about both of them seems similar, but Paxton is more of a run threat... but does that justify him going 3 rounds sooner?

I dunno.

I do know he seems to be just as much of a project on paper.

No way. Mac is already saying Hackenberg can start as soon as he's ready. 2016. It's up to Hack. Where the hell is Petty? Lost in the fog somewhere. 

1 hour ago, section314 said:

I don't think the Jets were going to take Lynch even if the draft was still going on tonight.

He was sniped in Round 1 by a GM/HOF QB that sees and knows.

Elway says Lynch will be ready to start sooner than people think

Broncos G.M. John Elway moved up in the first round of the draft to select quarterback Paxton Lynch, a developmental project who seems very unlikely to beat out Mark Sanchez for the starting job this season. But Lynch may not take as long to become the Broncos’ starter as most observers are expecting.

Elway said on Denver Sports 760 that Lynch may just prove himself ready to be an NFL starter this year.

“Is that going to happen tomorrow? Probably not, but you never know when it can happen,” Elway said. “We think he’s going to be ready quicker than a lot of people think.”

Elway said the Broncos did their homework on Lynch and also researched which other teams were interested in Lynch. Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has acknowledged he tried to trade up to get Lynch before the Broncos beat him to it, and Elway said the Broncos were aware that other teams wanted to move up an get him. Elway also said the Broncos were confident that — contrary to some mock drafts — the Jets weren’t going to draft Lynch, saying Denver had “pretty good intel that they were going to pass on him.”

So what did the Broncos like so much about Lynch?

“He’s a young guy with tremendous athletic ability, he’s got the strong arm, can make all the throws, he’s smart, and he’s a guy that can fit into this offense real well,” Elway said.

If Sanchez struggles, Lynch may show what he can do in the Broncos’ offense early in the 2016 season.

15 minutes ago, jetrider said:

No way. Mac is already saying Hackenberg can start as soon as he's ready. 2016. It's up to Hack. Where the hell is Petty? Lost in the fog somewhere. 

He was sniped in Round 1 by a GM/HOF QB that sees and knows.

Elway trying to sell his pick to the media.  pfft.  WHat would you expect him to say?

Heading into the draft, there were plenty of opinions offered about quarterback Christian Hackenberg.

They broke down into two general camps. One was that Hackenberg turned in two poor years at Penn State that provided little reason to believe he’d be a good NFL quarterback and the other was that Hackenberg’s poor play was a byproduct of bad teammates and a coaching change that left him in a system that didn’t fit his skills.

The Jets fell into the latter camp and picked Hackenberg with the 51st overall selection last Friday, something that Hackenberg called a “fresh start” this Friday. Hackenberg said he “kind of buried” criticism of his college performance, which he believes will help him be a better player in the NFL.

“I think you’re defined by how you react to adversity and how you’re able to get back up,” Hackenberg said, via NJ.com. “So I think ultimately, having to go through that at a young age and doing it through college is only going to help me in the long run. That’s how I’ve compartmentalized that, and that’s how it’s really been a stepping stone for me moving forward. I think it’s only going to help.”

Hackenberg did have plenty of experience getting back up while at Penn State after being sacked more than 100 times and the pounding he took joined his inaccuracy as concerns from the less enthusiastic observers of his play. Those observations helped Hackenberg wind up with the Jets rather than any of the league’s other teams, but they won’t matter if Hackenberg is correct about how the future will play out.

43 minutes ago, JiF said:

I like the kids attitude.  He's got all the skills.  Lets hope he can piece it all together. 

He's exciting and scary as heckaroo all at the same time.  

Fixed for language. You may think it's OK to curse willy nilly like that, but this is a place for hope and probably children read it.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Sanchez > Geno

Much as I wanted Sanchez replaced, and think Sanchez will never be more than a serviceable, average-at-best veteran QB, he's still better than Geno, and I'd take him in a heartbeat over Geno in 2016 with this Jets roster.

I think with the same surrounding cast Geno would outperform Sanchez

23 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I think with the same surrounding cast Geno would outperform Sanchez

We'll find out this year it seems.

Sanchez looks like the starter in Denver, and has a much weaker O around him and plays in a harder division top to bottom.

Geno looks like the starter here, has a better O cast, and a weaker Division outside the Pats.

It'll be interesting to see who does better.

3 hours ago, JiF said:

I like the kids attitude.  He's got all the skills.  Lets hope he can piece it all together. 

He's exciting and scary as hell all at the same time.  

Exactly.

2 hours ago, SenorGato said:

Fixed for language. You may think it's OK to curse willy nilly like that, but this is a place for hope and probably children read it.

Soothsayer?

This is the kid I wanted for our Jets and I am so happy we got him. I wanted to trade down from 20 and take him at the bottom of the 1st but I guess Lee was just too good of a value for the jets to pass up and that's why the deal with the cowboys probably fell through .  Anyone who has scouted this kid can see his potential and only those blind haters will deny it.

What is wrong with him can be fixed easily, and the rest just needs time to forget and heal.

I would be shocked , I repeat shocked if this kid is not whatwe have been waiting for all these years .

11 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

i'm trying to figure out why they would work so hard to keep a workout with hackenberg secret, then admit they're heavily scouting the top qbs and bringing them in for private visits.  

I can easily see why...they wanted everyone to think that they wanted on of the top two rated guys while hiding an interest in Hackenberg knowing they wanted him later and he was their ultimate target.  It's all a smoke screen pre-draft; hide your true intentions.

Since taking over before the 2015 season, Maccagnan has balanced his strategy between winning now and building for the future. Even though the Jets GM has made big free-agent signings (Brandon Marshall, Darrelle Revis, Matt Forte), the Hackenberg pick proves this front office doesn’t view their current roster as an immediate Super Bowl contender. If they did, they wouldn’t have spent a second-round pick on a quarterback and they’d be willing to devote significant money to Fitzpatrick’s contract.

This is absolutely ridiculous.

New England spent a second round pick on a QB last year. I doubt the same was written about them.

The more I read and study about this kid the more I like. I will be the first to admit I wanted Lynch in the first, but what do I know. I respect the fact that Mac & Co really did their homework and zeroed in on their guy, and I respect him for that. Whether he is right or wrong we will find out but I will never fault him for taking a shot and possibly putting his career on the line to take his guy. If he is right and Hackenberg becomes at top 10 guy in the league he look like a genius. I just hope they give this kid time to sit, unless he blows them away at camp. I like everything about Hackenberg's mental make up, his size and arm strength. I am concerned about his 9 inch hands playing in the Northeastern weather.Personally I hope this kid sits for the year or comes in after week 10 -12 if we are definitely out of the playoffs. I have no faith in Geno whatsoever, I just think Hackenberg has been hit so much he needs time to get his confidence back. If we put him out there and our line is not protecting this kid he will not be focused on the play, he will be focused on not just getting crushed.  Hopefully we have the patience to let this kid develop and play him when his is 100% mentally and physically prepared.

Good read and nice to hear high praise from O’Brien about Gailey, “a great spot for him” Jets :)  “...that's a perfect coach for him to learn from. Chan's a very patient guy. Good teacher.” 

Also good to read Bowles is onboard "We picked the best player at the spot and it just happened to be a quarterback.” nice to have a FO that is aligned...

16 hours ago, Warfish said:

We'll find out this year it seems.

Sanchez looks like the starter in Denver, and has a much weaker O around him and plays in a harder division top to bottom.

Geno looks like the starter here, has a better O cast, and a weaker Division outside the Pats.

It'll be interesting to see who does better.

Lol, Sanchez has the best WR tandem in the league, a solid run game, the best defense, are defending SB champs and Geno has the advantage.

Way to hedge your bet and take a swipe at Geno with one prediction.  

5 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

This is absolutely ridiculous.

New England spent a second round pick on a QB last year. I doubt the same was written about them.

Why can't these picks be what they obviously are, QBs who you hope can be franchise QBs when their time is right.  Hackenberg as soon as possible and Garapolo when he's needed. 

9 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Lol, Sanchez has the best WR tandem in the league, a solid run game, the best defense, are defending SB champs and Geno has the advantage.

Way to hedge your bet and take a swipe at Geno with one prediction.  

The facts are that our WR's were just as good, just as productive, as Denver's last year, and that was with lowly ineffective had-to-be-carried Fitz throwing to them (vs. Manning/Osweiller).   Top to bottom we have one of the best WR groups in the NFL, if a bit older in spots.  Our Run Game was just as good as well, and should be better.  We were ranked better than Denver in both rushing and passing in 2015.  Their D was 1st, true, it's very good.  Ours was 4th, and got major upgrades at LB.  We're no slobs.

Be assured my excuse-making friend, they'll be no "he had no talent around him" urban legends to propagate for Geno in 2016.  He'll be taking over a top-tier playoff-level roster of talent if he is once again handed the starters job.  

So give it a rest.

On 5/6/2016 at 10:06 AM, JiF said:

9 QB's drafted in the last 11 years and no starter.  Good god that's ******* awful.  haha

Please be the one Christian! 

The fact that pussington made the pick all but dooms it

13 hours ago, Tinstar said:

This is the kid I wanted for our Jets and I am so happy we got him. I wanted to trade down from 20 and take him at the bottom of the 1st but I guess Lee was just too good of a value for the jets to pass up and that's why the deal with the cowboys probably fell through .  Anyone who has scouted this kid can see his potential and only those blind haters will deny it.

What is wrong with him can be fixed easily, and the rest just needs time to forget and heal.

I would be shocked , I repeat shocked if this kid is not whatwe have been waiting for all these years .

SHould we expect him to start this year, do you think?  I have mixed feelings.  I would like to see him avoid the pressure and be allowed to develop but this corps of receivers (especially Marshall) may not be together when he is ready.

2 hours ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

The more I read and study about this kid the more I like. I will be the first to admit I wanted Lynch in the first, but what do I know. I respect the fact that Mac & Co really did their homework and zeroed in on their guy, and I respect him for that. Whether he is right or wrong we will find out but I will never fault him for taking a shot and possibly putting his career on the line to take his guy. If he is right and Hackenberg becomes at top 10 guy in the league he look like a genius. I just hope they give this kid time to sit, unless he blows them away at camp. I like everything about Hackenberg's mental make up, his size and arm strength. I am concerned about his 9 inch hands playing in the Northeastern weather.Personally I hope this kid sits for the year or comes in after week 10 -12 if we are definitely out of the playoffs. I have no faith in Geno whatsoever, I just think Hackenberg has been hit so much he needs time to get his confidence back. If we put him out there and our line is not protecting this kid he will not be focused on the play, he will be focused on not just getting crushed.  Hopefully we have the patience to let this kid develop and play him when his is 100% mentally and physically prepared.

If a second round pick puts your "career on the line" we would have a new GM every year because our second round pick almost always stinks.  Let's hope we buck a trend twice this year twice with Hack and Amaro.  

If he were a high first, he would arguably be putting his career on the line.  A second is a coin-flip (particularly a QB)at best and everybody understands that.

I just have this feeling

deep in side of me

something tells me Hack is our QB to be

when he throws it 

For a TD to streaking Peake 

it let's us know..everything alright

Aye, aye, aye

I'm hooked on a feeling

I'm high on believing 

Our QB search is over

22 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Starting to get a feeling from the reports coming out that Hack is our Day 1 starter.

That would be an absolute disaster for both the Jets and mostly fro Hackenberg.   

Haven't seen a single report saying Hack would be the opening day starter.  Macc did say, it is POSSIBLE, for Hack to start, it is also possible there wll be no football season because the Earth was struck by a comet.  Also haven't seen many reports on it since 2012 

6 hours ago, Warfish said:

The facts are that our WR's were just as good, just as productive, as Denver's last year, and that was with lowly ineffective had-to-be-carried Fitz throwing to them (vs. Manning/Osweiller).   Top to bottom we have one of the best WR groups in the NFL, if a bit older in spots.  Our Run Game was just as good as well, and should be better.  We were ranked better than Denver in both rushing and passing in 2015.  Their D was 1st, true, it's very good.  Ours was 4th, and got major upgrades at LB.  We're no slobs.

Be assured my excuse-making friend, they'll be no "he had no talent around him" urban legends to propagate for Geno in 2016.  He'll be taking over a top-tier playoff-level roster of talent if he is once again handed the starters job.  

So give it a rest.

The fact is you're wrong.  

Denver is better than than Jets.  I love your new found out of the blue optimism but they're the SB champs for a reason.  I do admit the receivers are close but Denvers group is deeper and add I the TE.  They're better.  We're a little better because Manning was a wounded duck.  

Urban legands, lol.  

15 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

The fact is you're wrong.  

Denver is better than than Jets.  I love your new found out of the blue optimism but they're the SB champs for a reason.  I do admit the receivers are close but Denvers group is deeper and add I the TE.  They're better.  We're a little better because Manning was a wounded duck.  

Urban legands, lol.  

No, your opinion is that I'm wrong.  Same as it's your opinion that Denver is better on offense.  Opinions.

The facts are what they are, and anyone who cares to can go confirm what I've said on ProFootballReference or the like.  

Our O was the equal (or superior) of Denver's O last year, and our QB was pretty bad (if we believe you he was carried by the rest of the O), certainly no Manning or Osweiller.  

Our D was only slightly worse, but both were amongst the best in the NFL.  

Facts, things that can be looked up from reputable sources.  The numbers do not lie.

So I'll say it again, we have PLENTY of talent going into 2016.  Our roster is a playoff caliber roster, right now.

24 minutes ago, Warfish said:

No, your opinion is that I'm wrong.  Same as it's your opinion that Denver is better on offense.  Opinions.

The facts are what they are, and anyone who cares to can go confirm what I've said on ProFootballReference or the like.  

Our O was the equal (or superior) of Denver's O last year, and our QB was pretty bad (if we believe you he was carried by the rest of the O), certainly no Manning or Osweiller.  

Facts, things that can be looked up from reputable sources.  The numbers do not lie.

So I'll say it again, we have PLENTY of talent going into 2016.  Our roster is a playoff caliber roster, right now.

The Broncos defense last year was one of the greatest of all time-- and for you to claim that the jets defense was only "slightly worse" is complete BS. Furthermore the 2015 roster was not a playoff caliber, we got all the lucky breaks and still weren't good enough. And now you think this roster is better this year and we're expected to be a playoff team? F outta here with that nonsense

7 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Why can't these picks be what they obviously are, QBs who you hope can be franchise QBs when their time is right.  Hackenberg as soon as possible and Garapolo when he's needed. 

Hopefully Garoppolo is needed sooner than later.   

46 minutes ago, Warfish said:

The Jets had the easiest schedule in the NFL last year, the Denver Broncos beat the best of the best en route to a Super Bowl Championship. You can't compare straight up numbers like that. You'd need to use one of those nerd number sites for a truer comparison. 

1 minute ago, slats said:

The Jets had the easiest schedule in the NFL last year, the Denver Broncos beat the best of the best en route to a Super Bowl Championship. You can't compare straight up numbers like that. You'd need to use one of those nerd number sites for a truer comparison. 

The jets and the panthers were tied with the easiest strength of schedule last season, .410. A super bowl caliber team with that schedule goes 15-1, a pretender team gets lucky to go 10-6 and chokes away their chance at a 6 seed

Archived