Poll: Fitz vs Geno

Mike135

Fitz or Geno?  

168 members have voted

1. 1. 2016 Starter?

• Fitz @8mil+ (most likely 10mil+ and multiple years)
    • Geno
    • Fitz @7mil and not a penny more! Otherwise Geno. (Added for LIJetsFan.)

1 hour ago, BowlesMovement said:

Sorry bro, I just need to see some leadership ability from Geno before I trust him for a whole season

Leadership?  Not a problem

Geno Smith’s former teammates, coach lament lack of leadership in 2012

GenoGetty Images

In the weeks preceding the 2013 draft, plenty of anonymous sources gave damning assessments of former West Virginia quarterback Geno Smith.  Now, folks are firing shots at Smith with their names attached.  Even if they aren’t mentioning his name.

Despite speaking in generalities, the message from both former teammates and Smith’s head coach in Morgantown is clear.

It started last week during a press conference.  Per Chris Adamski of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (via Rich Cimini of ESPNNewYork.com), Holgorsen talked about leadership.  Or, more accurately, the lack of it.

“We have to develop leaders,” Holgorsen said.  “It was a big issue on last year’s team — in a bad way.”

Again, Smith’s name wasn’t uttered.  But if the quarterback who came out of the gates with eye-popping stats and Heisman hype wasn’t in a position to lead, who was?

Some players have echoed Holgorsen’s remarks, also without mentioning Smith by name.

“Last year we didn’t have, you know, a lot of leadership,” running back Dustin Garrison said.

“I feel like last year, we fell apart,” running back Andrew Buie said.  “At certain moments where we needed to be a team, we weren’t a team.  So that was a big thing that [Holgorsen] preached all offseason: Team. Team. Team.  I honestly feel like as a whole team offensively, defensively and with special teams, we’re more of a unit as a team.  More together.”

“What’s different this year is we’re more a team,” offensive lineman Quinton Spain said. “There ain’t no I’s; we don’t depend on nobody.  We just depend on all of us at once as a team.  So I think this year will be better than last year.

“There wasn’t no team.  I could say there was a team early, but once we started losing we saw the I’s come up, so it just hurt the team worse.”

“I just feel like across the board there’s no one person on the team who stands out more than any other,” defensive tackle Will Clarke said.  “There’s not one person who’s getting a lot more media coverage or this much attention from certain national attention than the rest of us.  We’re all pretty much on the same level.  We’re all using that to try to just work together.”

The three players who got the national attention last year were Smith first, then receiver Tavon Austin, followed by receiver Stedman Bailey.  And while each arguably shares responsibility for the lack of leadership, the quarterback at every level is the primary leader of a team.

For the Rams, it’s not much of an issue; no one expects Austin and Bailey to become leaders, especially not right away.  But if Smith becomes the starter in New York as a rookie, he needs to become a leader sooner rather than later.

If he couldn’t or wouldn’t do it at Morgantown, it’ll be even harder in the NFL.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/11/geno-smiths-former-teammates-coach-lament-lack-of-leadership-in-2012/

• Replies 974
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don't really like the choices, since it doesn't allow for an actual 3-way competition in Fitzpatrick's absence. Only a fool would simply hand Geno the job again.

You could have a point here. At the end of the day Bowles is looking for the best QB he has on the team, not who's making the most money or who has the most experience. 

I'd prefer this over bringing Fitzpatrick back. 

4 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

You could have a point here. At the end of the day Bowles is looking for the best QB he has on the team, not who's making the most money or who has the most experience. 

I'd prefer this over bringing Fitzpatrick back. 

I wouldn't. 

But I most definitely would hope for petty or  hack to beat out Geno. Sadly, Geno would have a good shot at winning that competition as of right now. I wish we knew more, or anything,  about pettys progress.

I vote for Geno.  

I believe in not spending money for the sake of spending money.  Fitz doesn't take us anywhere this year, his addition to the team does absolutely nothing for me in terms of expectations this year.  I would rather take that money (and roster spot) and invest it in the future rather than a stop gap option who may not get us anywhere.  Use that money to sign Wilkerson.   

56 minutes ago, Shadetree said:

I wouldn't. 

But I most definitely would hope for petty or  hack to beat out Geno. Sadly, Geno would have a good shot at winning that competition as of right now. I wish we knew more, or anything,  about pettys progress.

You dont care to know about what Geno's progress is? Just wanna see him lose huh? This is the type of comments I dont get. Fitz has been a back up most of his career and he pulled together his best season 11 years into his profession. He made progress to the point where people are clamoring for him to be resigned, which I can respect. 

But is the hate that deep for Geno to where it is impossible for the man to grow up, develop also and possibly be productive? This is what I mean when I say that you simply cant trust Jets fans and their emotions. 

It saddens you if he's the best we have only because you believe that he is incapable of developing or doing anything right or being smarter than stupid. lol. You're only concerned about Petty's progress when every QB currently on the roster are all on rookie contracts...meaning all of them are young. ALL OF THEM are developing. We talk about Christian Hackenberg being a 2nd round pick because though the talent is there, there are things that must be worked on. Well, Geno was a 2nd round pick but he was the QB of a HC that is a self-proclaimed defensive Genius yet knows sh*t about offense. The Jets have had some of the worst offensive coordinators in the NFL the past 15 years. 

To prove my point, after Geno was punched by IK and IK was immediately kicked off the team...what coach picked him up? THAT'S the type of coach you think is going to teach a QB how to be a leader of men? Rex Ryan?....a coach who goes on public record stating that he wants to build a team full of bullies, while signing guys like Richie Incognito and right after IK....yet this coach that wants to build a team full of bullies hasnt produced a winning record in since 2010? A coach that says he wasts to build a team of bullies yet he has NEVER actually built a team because he took over a team built by Eric Mangini and Mike Tannenbaum in 2009 had success with that squad those 2 seasons yet didnt know how to replenish talent because all he knew how to do was draft defensive players in the first round while drawing up "bust" more than half of the time? 

2009 Mark Sanchez= Bust (Has been statisically better since going to Philly...away from Rex Ryan). 

2010 Kyle Wilson= Bust

2011 Muhammad Wilkerson

2012 Quinton Coples= Bust  (Took a 4-3 DE/DT from North Carolina and tried to make him a 3-4 OLB). 

2013 Dee Milliner= Bust 

2013 Sheldon Richardson

2014 Calvin Pryor (Had a bad rookie season on Rex because he was playing out of position. Just one year later under BETTER COACHING he's one of the best young SS in the NFL). 

Mind you, this is the draft history of a self proclaimed defensive genius. 

I can do the same thing for any round. The coaching has alot to do with the poor outcome as well as better performance. Look at Calvin Pryor. Jet fans were calling him a bust last year (like I said...cant trust Jets fans and their emotions right? lol) Look at Brian Winters. Look at Bilal Powell and how he had the best season of his career last season. The team didnt even know what to do with Enunwa, but in comes the new regime and suddenly Chan Gailey has just a ridiculous idea to make Enunwa a mismatch TE simply by looking at his qualities as a player and making a move in order to put Enunwa in the best position to succeed. Now when in the hell have we've ever seen that huh? 

And as fans, if we've never seen it then how the hell are the actual players going to see it? 

Many people here talk about Fitzpatrick and his "leadership". The leadership actually comes from the head coach. When Zac Stacy left and signed with Detroit what was the very first thing he said about Todd Bowles? Let me tell you. He said: 

"Coach Bowles, you truly are a Leader of Men. The Jets organization is on the up and coming. I wish you nothing but the best".  Question. When's the last time we heard a player leave the Jets or leave the Bills when Rex Ryan was the coach and he said that Rex Ryan was "truly a leader of men", or anything remotely close? Never, and its because Rex is too busy trying to create a big bully by signing them. Instead, what do you see from players who leave Rex? Lets take Mario Williams for example. This is a guy who's a 4 time pro bowler, an all-pro, a former defensive lineman of the year, with almost 100 sacks in his career...and Williams literally has the WORST season of his career. If Williams was a rookie and a Jet everyone here (dealing with their emotions) would have called him a bust. 

This is what bad coaching does to good players. Chan Gailey has done so much for Ryan Fitzpatrick that the rest of the league feels like he's basically useless without this particular coach. You tell me, is that a compliment to Fitz or Gailey? 

Geno Smith cant be a leader without an example. The outcome of the student is a reflection of the teacher. Same with the veteran. We call about Fitz leadership, yet that somehow doesnt count for Geno. Nothing counts for Geno....ever, huh? 

I dont understand why people are such haters. And I dont mean that in any disrespect...I simply dont understand this level of hate. It just makes no sense. 

40 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

You dont care to know about what Geno's progress is? Just wanna see him lose huh? This is the type of comments I dont get. Fitz has been a back up most of his career and he pulled together his best season 11 years into his profession. He made progress to the point where people are clamoring for him to be resigned, which I can respect. 

But is the hate that deep for Geno to where it is impossible for the man to grow up, develop also and possibly be productive? This is what I mean when I say that you simply cant trust Jets fans and their emotions. 

It saddens you if he's the best we have only because you believe that he is incapable of developing or doing anything right or being smarter than stupid. lol. You're only concerned about Petty's progress when every QB currently on the roster are all on rookie contracts...meaning all of them are young. ALL OF THEM are developing. We talk about Christian Hackenberg being a 2nd round pick because though the talent is there, there are things that must be worked on. Well, Geno was a 2nd round pick but he was the QB of a HC that is a self-proclaimed defensive Genius yet knows sh*t about offense. The Jets have had some of the worst offensive coordinators in the NFL the past 15 years. 

To prove my point, after Geno was punched by IK and IK was immediately kicked off the team...what coach picked him up? THAT'S the type of coach you think is going to teach a QB how to be a leader of men? Rex Ryan?....a coach who goes on public record stating that he wants to build a team full of bullies, while signing guys like Richie Incognito and right after IK....yet this coach that wants to build a team full of bullies hasnt produced a winning record in since 2010? A coach that says he wasts to build a team of bullies yet he has NEVER actually built a team because he took over a team built by Eric Mangini and Mike Tannenbaum in 2009 had success with that squad those 2 seasons yet didnt know how to replenish talent because all he knew how to do was draft defensive players in the first round while drawing up "bust" more than half of the time? 

2009 Mark Sanchez= Bust (Has been statisically better since going to Philly...away from Rex Ryan). 

2010 Kyle Wilson= Bust

2011 Muhammad Wilkerson

2012 Quinton Coples= Bust  (Took a 4-3 DE/DT from North Carolina and tried to make him a 3-4 OLB). 

2013 Dee Milliner= Bust 

2013 Sheldon Richardson

2014 Calvin Pryor (Had a bad rookie season on Rex because he was playing out of position. Just one year later under BETTER COACHING he's one of the best young SS in the NFL). 

Mind you, this is the draft history of a self proclaimed defensive genius. 

I can do the same thing for any round. The coaching has alot to do with the poor outcome as well as better performance. Look at Calvin Pryor. Jet fans were calling him a bust last year (like I said...cant trust Jets fans and their emotions right? lol) Look at Brian Winters. Look at Bilal Powell and how he had the best season of his career last season. The team didnt even know what to do with Enunwa, but in comes the new regime and suddenly Chan Gailey has just a ridiculous idea to make Enunwa a mismatch TE simply by looking at his qualities as a player and making a move in order to put Enunwa in the best position to succeed. Now when in the hell have we've ever seen that huh? 

And as fans, if we've never seen it then how the hell are the actual players going to see it? 

Many people here talk about Fitzpatrick and his "leadership". The leadership actually comes from the head coach. When Zac Stacy left and signed with Detroit what was the very first thing he said about Todd Bowles? Let me tell you. He said: 

"Coach Bowles, you truly are a Leader of Men. The Jets organization is on the up and coming. I wish you nothing but the best".  Question. When's the last time we heard a player leave the Jets or leave the Bills when Rex Ryan was the coach and he said that Rex Ryan was "truly a leader of men", or anything remotely close? Never, and its because Rex is too busy trying to create a big bully by signing them. Instead, what do you see from players who leave Rex? Lets take Mario Williams for example. This is a guy who's a 4 time pro bowler, an all-pro, a former defensive lineman of the year, with almost 100 sacks in his career...and Williams literally has the WORST season of his career. If Williams was a rookie and a Jet everyone here (dealing with their emotions) would have called him a bust. 

This is what bad coaching does to good players. Chan Gailey has done so much for Ryan Fitzpatrick that the rest of the league feels like he's basically useless without this particular coach. You tell me, is that a compliment to Fitz or Gailey? 

Geno Smith cant be a leader without an example. The outcome of the student is a reflection of the teacher. Same with the veteran. We call about Fitz leadership, yet that somehow doesnt count for Geno. Nothing counts for Geno....ever, huh? 

I dont understand why people are such haters. And I dont mean that in any disrespect...I simply dont understand this level of hate. It just makes no sense. 

Geno lost me with his unpreparedness and his sulking and moping on the sideline. I was furious even at the sight of him. So, yes, my emotions are at play here. But, you're right, he has the opportunity this year to show he has developed and learned to become a pro. I believe in redemption. In sports, it's always great story. 

Until I see it with my own two eyes, though,he's still the same, unprofessional, mope on the sideline. 

For my money, I'll stick with Fitz, and his redemption story.  I'm hoping it's just beginning, while everyone else thinks he's already hit his ceiling.

1 hour ago, win4ever said:

I vote for Geno.  

I believe in not spending money for the sake of spending money.  Fitz doesn't take us anywhere this year, his addition to the team does absolutely nothing for me in terms of expectations this year.  I would rather take that money (and roster spot) and invest it in the future rather than a stop gap option who may not get us anywhere.  Use that money to sign Wilkerson.   

They already have that money. They just don't want to. Fitz and Wilkerson and their contracts have nothing to do with each other. 

1 minute ago, ljr said:

Don't like these choices either ... If you want to make it just between 2 guys leave it as just 2 choices ... Don't divide one of their vote totals in half

Or you can add both halves, which makes it 32-17 Fitz. 

Imo if Geno starts he will be an improved player. But he isn't the best choice for the Jets. And that should be pretty obvious. In other words our percentage chances of winning and making the playoffs are lesser with Geno than with Fitz. Now money and Fitz's salary should not be on the table in a fan poll. It should only be best player. Even though so far Geno is getting trounced I don't get why any Jets fan would vote for him. I'm not surprised that Patriots fans would. Like they have our best interests in mind. No and not even close. They have our worst interests which is ok and expected. And the feeling is mutual!

There is no starting Qb in the NFL who is making 7-8 million except guys on rookie contracts. Just google it and look at the list. These guys are making in the teens only backups below double figures. Fitz isn't worth 16 and I doubt he's asked for it but he deserves to get 10 plus incentives which means he makes more if he plays well and the team does well. 

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

This year - Geno gives the team the better chance to win.  

Fitz's arm is simply not good enough to beat the quality defenses we're going to have to play this year.

You've seen Geno play, right? You know he's a bottom of league passer, correct? You know how many opportunities he has received to take the job and be an average QB, and he's failed every single time? 

Come on with this. There isn't a team in the NFL that takes Geno as their starter right now. Not one. Especially this one. 

13 hours ago, Mike135 said:

Third option kinda is a Geno vote.  Doesn't sound likely Fitz will sign for 7.

•  

Help a guy out and explain to me the difference in people's opinions between wanting Fitz to start over Geno but not over $7m? It seems ridiculous to want 1 QB to start over another based on pay. I would want Fitz over Geno because he gives us the best chance to win, players love him, CS wants the guy and allows Hack/Petty to sit and learn. Why should we care what he makes? If MacDaddy can make it work why should we care? As long as he feels it won't be a crippling contract moving forward. 

34% would be willing to have Fitz at $10m+ for 2 years. 
27% would prefer him over Geno but only at $7m...... 
Am I missing something here? Let Mac worry about the $ it seems to me over 60% want Fitz.when money is taken out of the equation. If Fitz has another season like 2015 he will have easily outplayed his contract.

Personally, I'd like Fitz to return, but if he doesn't I'm ready to support Geno. I just want this carousel ride to stop, before camp begins. Let Fitz/Geno battle it out for lead dog and get ready for the season. This is like a bad "Tele-Nov

ella"

Wow!  Glad I polled the board.  I would've figured Geno to get 10-15% support.

At this point:

1. Fitz getting 34.29%
  2. Geno getting 38.57%
  3. Then the option that seems unrealistic of signing Fitz @7mil, otherwise Geno getting 27.14%

Even though that 3rd option isn't a ringing endorsement for Geno, in reality, based on all the numbers being reported and that Fitz won't sign for 7mil...  it's still saying to roll with Geno.

So 65.71% are saying to start Geno!  Sure hope Macc sees this.  And Geno too (should be a nice confidence boost).  Maybe we should rent a plane/banner?

To those saying there should've been other options in the poll (like Petty or Hack), I was just trying to get the board's opinion of the most realistic options.  Though I think it's obvious 99% aren't completely tied to any QB.  If Hack or Petty somehow kick @ss in camp and win the job, of course you roll with one of the younger/cheaper guys.  It's just not likely.

2 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

You've seen Geno play, right? You know he's a bottom of league passer, correct? You know how many opportunities he has received to take the job and be an average QB, and he's failed every single time? 

Come on with this. There isn't a team in the NFL that takes Geno as their starter right now. Not one. Especially this one. 

Is there a team that would take Fitz as a starter? No, there is't. That's why he's been a career back-up and has never made the playoffs.  So if you ask me of two crappy options.  I take the one that has NFL starter talent and young enough to maybe improve.

I know the Geno haters don't want to hear this...but I would like to see Geno play with talent around him and QB friendly OC...

and to all the Fitz lovers -(I've asked this question countless times and never got an answer) What would the Jets record have been last year without Marshall?  If you watched this team last year, you know how many times Marshall bailed out Fitz.  What if Geno had a safety net like him?

7 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:
  •  

Help a guy out and explain to me the difference in people's opinions between wanting Fitz to start over Geno but not over $7m? It seems ridiculous to want 1 QB to start over another based on pay. I would want Fitz over Geno because he gives us the best chance to win, players love him, CS wants the guy and allows Hack/Petty to sit and learn. Why should we care what he makes? If MacDaddy can make it work why should we care? As long as he feels it won't be a crippling contract moving forward. 

34% would be willing to have Fitz at $10m+ for 2 years. 
27% would prefer him over Geno but only at $7m...... 
Am I missing something here? Let Mac worry about the $ it seems to me over 60% want Fitz.when money is taken out of the equation. If Fitz has another season like 2015 he will have easily outplayed his contract.

Personally, I'd like Fitz to return, but if he doesn't I'm ready to support Geno. I just want this carousel ride to stop, before camp begins. Let Fitz/Geno battle it out for lead dog and get ready for the season. This is like a bad "Tele-Nov

ella"

Well I didn't have that 3rd option at first.  Added it at the request of LIJetsFan.  What I'm trying to do is get opinions on what I think are the most realistic options for 2016.

Though option 3 does makes some sense.  I'm all for Geno regardless, but I can see how someone only wants to pay so much for Fitz.  They like Fitz but not at a price and term that would really hurt the team moving forward.

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Those guys don't matter because they're not going to be here when the team is ready to compete for titles.

I got it.... lose the locker-room, bring back the circus= top 15 pick.

Can you imagine this board when we find out Petty can't shoulder the load, goes 0-4? 

Fitzy signs a 1 yr/ $5m deal with the Ravens and sits across the field from us when the Jets play the Ravens? 

Geno starts and goes 9-25/ 87 yds/ 2 picks. Jets miserable/ Fitz miserable/ Geno terrible.

6 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Can you imagine this board when we find out Petty can't shoulder the load, goes 0-4? 

Fitzy signs a 1 yr/ $5m deal with the Ravens and sits across the field from us when the Jets play the Ravens? 

Geno starts and goes 9-25/ 87 yds/ 2 picks. Jets miserable/ Fitz miserable/ Geno terrible.

If you run a team based on the needs and wants of your short-term vets and the nitwit part of the fanbase that thinks going .500 with Ryan Fitzpatrick taking every snap is a good thing, your franchise is doomed.

7 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

And Fitz is a complete idiot for ruining his best chance to end his career well because his demands were so ridiculous.  If he's willing to sign for 5mil, he better let teams know it.  

5mil happens to be my "Fitz"-magic number.  If he'll take 5mil, sign him.  That's not too high.  Doesn't hurt much if one of the other guys beat him out and it would secure a very good backup QB (which is what I think Fitz is).

14 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Is there a team that would take Fitz as a starter? No, there is't. That's why he's been a career back-up and has never made the playoffs.  So if you ask me of two crappy options.  I take the one that has NFL starter talent and young enough to maybe improve.

I know the Geno haters don't want to hear this...but I would like to see Geno play with talent around him and QB friendly OC...

and to all the Fitz lovers -(I've asked this question countless times and never got an answer) What would the Jets record have been last year without Marshall?  If you watched this team last year, you know how many times Marshall bailed out Fitz.  What if Geno had a safety net like him?

The sad thing is that we're debating who we want from two guys who wouldn't be hired by another team in the league -- Geno, pretty much at any price; Fitz at anything over $7 million. That, fans, is the pitiful state of our QB problem. We can only hope that Petty or Hackenberg were genius picks who will surprise the football world. Problem there is that both are not ready -- Petty probably needs another year just to be serviceable and Hackenberg likely needs two.

28 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Come on with this. There isn't a team in the NFL that takes Geno as their starter right now. Not one. Especially this one. 

Same could be said for Fitz. 

2 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

The sad thing is that we're debating who we want from two guys who wouldn't be hired by another team in the league -- Geno, pretty much at any price; Fitz at anything over $7 million. That, fans, is the pitiful state of our QB problem. We can only hope that Petty or Hackenberg were genius picks who will surprise the football world. Problem there is that both are not ready -- Petty probably needs another year just to be serviceable and Hackenberg likely needs two.

Good points. I must admit to being more than a bit surprised at how little interest there is in Fitz around the league. Like, zero interest even among teams who have no QBs.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Good points. I must admit to being more than a bit surprised at how little interest there is in Fitz around the league. Like, zero interest even among teams who have no QBs.

Other teams see the tape too.  They realize Fitz may be a short-term upgrade over what crap QB they may have, but it's not worth the cost (both cap-wise and in young QB development/trial).  Besides, any team who would have any chance of getting the "good Fitz" would need a heck of a coordinator/scheme and players like Marshall and Decker around him.

18 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If you run a team based on the needs and wants of your short-term vets and the nitwit part of the fanbase that thinks going .500 with Ryan Fitzpatrick taking every snap is a good thing, your franchise is doomed.

You're asking these vets to help keep the lock-room together. The Jets aren't the Pats, where fear rules among the players.

If the FO screws the pooch AGAIN with the most important position on the field,  it's tough to keep the locker-room together

If we had a young team it wouldn't be as much of an issue, but we have a lot of +28 vets on this team

Again, if Mac can make the money work, why should we care what Fitz makes? 2 yr. deal MAX!

Archived