Screen Shot 2014-09-14 at 8.05.00 PM

Though there was some initial confusion about who called the timeout, but Ryan said after the game that it didn’t come from him. This much was clear: Someone called a timeout and the idea belonged to Mornhinweg, the coach who once won the coin toss in sudden-death overtime and opted to kick off. He was motioning for a timeout with the play clock running down. (See above.) What’s unclear is whether Ryan called the timeout himself or if the official granted Mornhinweg’s request. Why should that matter: By rule, only a head coach can call a timeout from the sideline. 

But Fox’s officiating expert Mike Periera says while that’s the rule in spirit, it’s rarely applied in real-time. “We’ve never held to that, because when the snap is imminent you don’t have time to turn around to look and see who’s calling it,” he said on a Fox Sports web video.

NearShamefulHapuku

Periera also shared a great anecdote during his recap of the play. He remembered another instance when an assistant’s timeout negated a big play. In that case, the Baltimore Ravens stuffed a fourth-and-1 sneak from Tom Brady. But a timeout from the Baltimore sideline wiped out the play. Who called that timeout? 

Defensive coordinator Rex Ryan.

(AP)

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

What I never got was how Rex didn't know after the game who called timeout and why. Unless of course he was covering for Marty.

And Moronweg didn't fess up and pull the Bilal Powell excuse out of his ass until the following morning.

Most likely after staying up all night watching ESPN and NFLN, listening to others speculate about what might've happened.

He was clearly seen on film calling timeout so he had to come clean.

MM must've thought, "Yeah, that's the ticket! The alignment! Makes me look SMART like I know my stuff!"

Cause if that was really the case why didn't he say it sooner and why couldn't Rex explain it?

Seemed like a bogus excuse that didn't add up.