Claim Zach Mettenberger

nj meadowlands

Living in the southeast I have watched many SEC games on Saturdays. I have always been a fan of former UGA QB Aaron Murray who has an accurate average arm ( similar to Drew Brees).  But , when I watched LSU play Georgia , I was quite impresses with the arm strength, velocity,  and accuracy of Mettenberger. In my opinion he is a Much Better product than Geno will ever be. So . place a claim and then cut Geno. Let Ryan stay in his retired/on hold status. And let the competition begin. YOU WOULD LIKE THIS PICKUP !!!!  

1 minute ago, ManCave Analyst said:

Living in the southeast I have watched many SEC games on Saturdays. I have always been a fan of former UGA QB Aaron Murray who has an accurate average arm ( similar to Drew Brees).  But , when I watched LSU play Georgia , I was quite impresses with the arm strength, velocity,  and accuracy of Mettenberger. In my opinion he is a Much Better product than Geno will ever be. So . place a claim and then cut Geno. Let Ryan stay in his retired/on hold status. And let the competition begin. YOU WOULD LIKE THIS PICKUP !!!!  

Its funny you use this example since Georgia kicked him off their team for groping a bunch of girls in a local college bar, underage, with a fake ID.

He's a statue who's not very good at Football so I dont really see a reason to claim him.

I don't think he'll last that long, someone with a poorer record than us will pick him up. The only way we would sign him is if they don't think they can sign Fitz. And then he would compete with Geno in training camp. And he might get cut fast if either Hack or Petty steps it up. 

Mettenberger failed to reach a BCS bowl with Jeremy Hill, Odell Beckham Jr., Jarvis Landry and La'el Collins.  That is not very successful in college for having some really good to great talent around you.  

Just don't see him as worth the project.  And that is what you would be claiming.  We already have 2 projects with high upside, can we let them improve and let Petty get a shot at being a backup as well before already trying to replace him.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Its funny you use this example since Georgia kicked him off their team for groping a bunch of girls in a local college bar, underage, with a fake ID.

He's a statue who's not very good at Football so I dont really see a reason to claim him.

Big Ben was a groper, look how he turned out.

There's already too many QB's on the team. The roster is filled right now. With that said, there will always be a spot for Fitz to come back. When Fitz comes back, Geno is a goner. The Jets are not going to carry 4 QB's.

2 hours ago, JiF said:

I would say 95% of college kids go to bars with a fake ID or drink underage...also look at Peyton Manning at Tennessee laying his package on some trainer's face or whatever it was he did. these stories come out about a lot of college football players. Mettenberger was on the sh*tty titans who never had an offensive line when he was there, and 0 Receiving threats. I'd give him a shot to compete with Geno.

21 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I think Geno is better than Mettenberger.

Our fans are insane! This guy had incredible talent around him in college. This is what drives me CRAZY about our fans. Put this f*cking statue behind our Oline in 2013/2014, throwing to Stephen Hill, Clyde Gates, David Nelson, and a slew of other rejects, Kellen Winslow, an uninterested Percy Harvin, LMAO!

Let me tell you this, ain't no way in hell he would have went 12-20. We would have had the 1st or 2nd pick both years which would have solved our QB issues,lol. 

There is a reason the guy with 2nd round talent was drafted in the 6th round. Yes Mettenberger has the prototypical size and arm strength to play in the pro's but has failed to show the production. In college as soon as the competition became tougher his numbers dipped evidently. Stats broken up from his senior season:
First 6 games (FCS, non conference opponents) 157 attempts, 107 completions, 1,738 yards, 15 TD, 2 INT

Defenses Averaged Passing Yards Allowed: 233.9, 

Last 5 games (SEC opponents) 115 attempts, 69 completions, 1,016 yards, 4 TD, 4 INT

Defenses Averaged Passing Yards Allowed: 211.1

Also to mention, at LSU Mettenberger was surrounded by NFL caliber receivers (OBJ as an example) and a stout offensive line.

Also mettenberger is 0-7 as an NFL starter (Correct me if I'm wrong).

I would roll with geno/fitz any day over Mettenberger. JMO

Archived