Claim Zach Mettenberger

nj meadowlands

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Big Ben was a groper, look how he turned out.

Yeah but he had already won a Super Bowl, no?  haha

54 minutes ago, MyFavoriteMartin28 said:

I would say 95% of college kids go to bars with a fake ID or drink underage...also look at Peyton Manning at Tennessee laying his package on some trainer's face or whatever it was he did. these stories come out about a lot of college football players. Mettenberger was on the sh*tty titans who never had an offensive line when he was there, and 0 Receiving threats. I'd give him a shot to compete with Geno.

I wasnt knocking him for it (well the groping part is disturbing) I was just mentioning how it was ironic he was using that example but that doesnt change the fact he's a terrible Football player.  If I was a GM, the only call his agent would get would to be to let him know I'm not interested, at all.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

So who do you want to cut for him, Petty or Hack?

Geno Smith is the worst QB on the roster right now, I fully believe that, starting experience be damned. 

But as for Mett, he's a good ole boy who doesn't fit in NY from a culture standpoint. He needs to stay in Nascar country. 

3 hours ago, JETSfaninNE said:

Mettenberger failed to reach a BCS bowl with Jeremy Hill, Odell Beckham Jr., Jarvis Landry and La'el Collins.  That is not very successful in college for having some really good to great talent around you.  

Just don't see him as worth the project.  And that is what you would be claiming.  We already have 2 projects with high upside, can we let them improve and let Petty get a shot at being a backup as well before already trying to replace him.

Les Miles is the Rex Ryan of College Football. He wants his teams to run the ball and win with defense.  True LSU and Mett had a very good supporting cast but I wouldn't put any stock into the BCS Bowl factor because of Miles.  He has a great arm , but lacks mobility especially with the knee injury he suffered his final year at LSU. If he plays behind a good pass blocking Oline he could be a very good NFL QB.

1 hour ago, BroadwayBen said:

There is a reason the guy with 2nd round talent was drafted in the 6th round. Yes Mettenberger has the prototypical size and arm strength to play in the pro's but has failed to show the production. In college as soon as the competition became tougher his numbers dipped evidently. Stats broken up from his senior season:
First 6 games (FCS, non conference opponents) 157 attempts, 107 completions, 1,738 yards, 15 TD, 2 INT

Defenses Averaged Passing Yards Allowed: 233.9, 

Last 5 games (SEC opponents) 115 attempts, 69 completions, 1,016 yards, 4 TD, 4 INT

Defenses Averaged Passing Yards Allowed: 211.1

Also to mention, at LSU Mettenberger was surrounded by NFL caliber receivers (OBJ as an example) and a stout offensive line.

Also mettenberger is 0-7 as an NFL starter (Correct me if I'm wrong).

I would roll with geno/fitz any day over Mettenberger. JMO

Yes, it was because he suffered a pretty serious knee injury his final season at LSU

1 hour ago, BroadwayBen said:

There is a reason the guy with 2nd round talent was drafted in the 6th round. Yes Mettenberger has the prototypical size and arm strength to play in the pro's but has failed to show the production. In college as soon as the competition became tougher his numbers dipped evidently. Stats broken up from his senior season:
First 6 games (FCS, non conference opponents) 157 attempts, 107 completions, 1,738 yards, 15 TD, 2 INT

Defenses Averaged Passing Yards Allowed: 233.9, 

Last 5 games (SEC opponents) 115 attempts, 69 completions, 1,016 yards, 4 TD, 4 INT

Defenses Averaged Passing Yards Allowed: 211.1

Also to mention, at LSU Mettenberger was surrounded by NFL caliber receivers (OBJ as an example) and a stout offensive line.

Also mettenberger is 0-7 as an NFL starter (Correct me if I'm wrong).

I would roll with geno/fitz any day over Mettenberger. JMO

I think its 0-10

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Yeah but he had already won a Super Bowl, no?  haha

I wasnt knocking him for it (well the groping part is disturbing) I was just mentioning how it was ironic he was using that example but that doesnt change the fact he's a terrible Football player.  If I was a GM, the only call his agent would get would to be to let him know I'm not interested, at all.

Oh okay I thought you were knocking him for underage drinking... Haha other than that I think he can do as well as Fitzpatrick did last year with the Jets

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

Mettenberger is the guy that's cut and is the topic of the thread, yet all im reading is "cut Geno for a guy who just got cut".

lol. 

So a player who is cut can never be better than a player at the same position in another roster?

4 minutes ago, AFJF said:

So a player who is cut can never be better than a player at the same position in another roster?

Im saying that Geno hasnt been cut by his team. 

Im also saying to talk about Mettenberger and his qualities without it having to be about peoples continued displeasure about Geno Smith. 

Show some highlights, show some stats, do something. The thread talks more about Geno Smith rather than the guy the thread is actually about. WTF. 

Ah No.  He is quite possibly the biggest reason why OBJ was not the first WR taken in the draft.  He's basically a worst case scenario for Hackenberg, so in two years, if Hackenberg looks like Metternberger, it'd be a failure.  He has two high end WRs, a good O-line, a very good running back, and that offense wasn't exactly lighting it up.  That team was flat out loaded at every position but the QB.   

The Titans are releasing him because he has no future in TN.  He has a big arm, but he's very inconsistent with his throws.  

7 minutes ago, win4ever said:

Ah No.  He is quite possibly the biggest reason why OBJ was not the first WR taken in the draft.  He's basically a worst case scenario for Hackenberg, so in two years, if Hackenberg looks like Metternberger, it'd be a failure.  He has two high end WRs, a good O-line, a very good running back, and that offense wasn't exactly lighting it up.  That team was flat out loaded at every position but the QB.   

The Titans are releasing him because he has no future in TN.  He has a big arm, but he's very inconsistent with his throws.  

And a HC(MIles) who coached offensive football like Rex Ryan.  If Cam Cameron wasn't the OC in LSU , you would have never heard of Mettenberger ,  OBJ or Jarvis Landry . Miles would prefer to run the ball 99% of the time and win with defense.

36 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Im saying that Geno hasnt been cut by his team. 

Im also saying to talk about Mettenberger and his qualities without it having to be about peoples continued displeasure about Geno Smith. 

Show some highlights, show some stats, do something. The thread talks more about Geno Smith rather than the guy the thread is actually about. WTF. 

His YouTube highlights are irrelevant IMO.

I'm just saying kick the tires on every single possible NFL caliber QB when Geno is on your roster.  Due diligence.

4 minutes ago, AFJF said:

His YouTube highlights are irrelevant IMO.

I'm just saying kick the tires on every single possible NFL caliber QB when Geno is on your roster.  Due diligence.

I agree. I like Zach Mettenberger. I doubt we'll be able to get him, but you never know. I mos def think we should be kicking tires because I personally wouldnt want to go into the season with Geno as the starter but the #2/#3 QB's having a combined experience of 0 pro games. 

If we can get Zach and place Petty on the PS then we should be good. 

52 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

And a HC(MIles) who coached offensive football like Rex Ryan.  If Cam Cameron wasn't the OC in LSU , you would have never heard of Mettenberger ,  OBJ or Jarvis Landry . Miles would prefer to run the ball 99% of the time and win with defense.

I remember watching OBJ tapes a lot (because he was projected to go right where we were drafting and being so frustrated with the QB.  A ton of low/high throws, overthrowing targets easily.  In essence, a good running game and run oriented team should help a QB out because the defense is so focused in on the runners, but he slowed them down.  There were plenty of throws where OBJ was diving or stopping to catch a ball that prevented YAC. 

2 hours ago, win4ever said:

I remember watching OBJ tapes a lot (because he was projected to go right where we were drafting and being so frustrated with the QB.  A ton of low/high throws, overthrowing targets easily.  In essence, a good running game and run oriented team should help a QB out because the defense is so focused in on the runners, but he slowed them down.  There were plenty of throws where OBJ was diving or stopping to catch a ball that prevented YAC. 

I'm a big LSU fan and watched probably 95% of their games over the past 20 years, I don''t think Mettenberger was ever slated to be a high 1st rd pick , but before his injury he was being talked up as a bottom of the 1st rd/early 2nd rd pick. I feel two things really hindered his progress - Les Miles ala Rex Ryan with both Sanchez/Geno and his knee injury which pushed his draft stock down. He can make any throw on the field , but lacks any form of mobility especially post surgery. I feel if he played for a team with a dominant Oline he could be a poor man's Joe Flacco. put him on various versions of the Jets teams and he may have set David Carr's sack record. 

Via Adam schefter: Chargers claimed former Titans QB Zach Mettenberger on waivers today, per source. Mettenberger reunited with San Diego OC Ken Whisenhunt. 

I know this thread was already dying BUT I just had to put the nail in the coffin completely. Lol

On May 16, 2016 at 10:13 AM, UnitedWhofans said:

My guess is he ends up in San Diego. Rivers is getting old and Whisenhunt drafted Mettenberger when he was with Tennessee.

Winner!

I couldn't help but laugh at this glowing evaluation of Mettenberger:

His 16.5 Total QBR is the worst of any quarterback with at least 10 starts since the metric was created in 2006. The game film has shown a one-dimensional signal-caller beset by a long delivery, statuesque pocket movement, an inability to handle pressure, slow eyes and scattershot accuracy. His scant NFL success has come primarily on broken coverages and against prevent defenses deep in garbage time.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000663260/article/chargers-claim-zach-mettenberger-off-waivers

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 11:53 AM, Mainejet said:

There's already too many QB's on the team. The roster is filled right now. With that said, there will always be a spot for Fitz to come back. When Fitz comes back, Geno is a goner. The Jets are not going to carry 4 QB's.

Definitely.  My best guess is the Bills sign him. Rex wants his revenge.

On 5/16/2016 at 4:02 PM, ManCave Analyst said:

Living in the southeast I have watched many SEC games on Saturdays. I have always been a fan of former UGA QB Aaron Murray who has an accurate average arm ( similar to Drew Brees).  But , when I watched LSU play Georgia , I was quite impresses with the arm strength, velocity,  and accuracy of Mettenberger. In my opinion he is a Much Better product than Geno will ever be. So . place a claim and then cut Geno. Let Ryan stay in his retired/on hold status. And let the competition begin. YOU WOULD LIKE THIS PICKUP !!!!  

Zach Mettenberger has a 18 QBR

This is the lowest QBR of any QB with atleast 10 starts since this rating was created back in 2006. 

Just sayin'

Archived