If Fitz isn't here by 24th

Dcronin

3 hours ago, Big Blocker said:

Yep, the point is that the time has come to end this and do a reasonable deal.  The FO can't muster up any enthusiasm for some other option, and Fitz has not found another team to compete against the Jets in any bidding.  Both sides need each other, and there's no benefit in stringing it out any longer.  Time to do a reasonable deal, and then they can cut Smith.

This is the myth that has been regurgitated over and over again by the media.  yes, Fitz needs the Jets, but the Jets do NOT need Fitz.  The Jets have 3 other QB's on their roster one of which has 3 years of NFL experience 2 as a starter.  

15 hours ago, j4jets said:

To bring in Fitz, we'd have to say goodbye to release Mo. I believe that's how Mac is looking at it and he should. There's no other way Mac can fit him AND keep Mo unless you do a complete overhaul of 2-3 players' salaries n push the cap hit back a year or two, in which case he turns into Trader Mike in respect to cap management. 

Why did he put us in this untenable cap situation in the first place. Hen inherited so much cap space for us to be a 6 win team with no cap space.

7 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

That sounds good, but Idzik didn't spend money in 2014 in an attempt to build a better team in future years. How'd that work out for him?

GMs can't always worry about 2 or 3 years from now. If Mac thinks this team can go 10-6 with Fitz or 6-10 with Geno then he may need to sacrifice a little in the future to bring back Fitz. 

I could not possibly disagree more with that statement. "Win now" moves doom teams to years of mediocrity. You have to build long term . Have to. 

It baffles on my mind how people actually want to let Mo "walk" for a measly 3rd round pick. 

They will get nothing for Mo when he walks away next year.

The Jets will have a ton of cap money next year and will spend like drunken sailors signing a bunch of over-priced FA's, negating any comp pics for Mo.

1 hour ago, PatsFanTX said:

They will get nothing for Mo when he walks away next year.

The Jets will have a ton of cap money next year and will spend like drunken sailors signing a bunch of over-priced FA's, negating any comp pics for Mo.

That about sums it up and it sucks, but I'll make sure to like parts of the drunken sailor binge..  Outside chance they reach a deal with Mo, but I wouldn't bet on it.  The Giants deal with Vernon and Malik Jackson with the Jaguars haave set the standard and Wilk is arguably better than either of them.

7 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Unfortunately you can't say oh crap until he plays in an actual game. I honestly don't care if Geno is picking up the offense that's not his problem, his problem is applying that to game action where he struggles. If Geno knew he was going to drop back and not get touched he would be an all pro but he does know those things. It's amazing how fast you unlearn sh*t in the heat of Battle and revert back to being crap. That's what an NFL QB has to deal with and most or a good percentage just can't handle it. Its what separates the Bad from the good from the great. Game awareness also suffers like knowing when to throw the ball away if you have more downs to make it happen. 

Sounds very familiar to that first int in the last game. First of many. An incompletion there and we kick the go ahead field goal. Bills would never be able to score on us while behind in the 4th. If Geno is dumb, Fitz is no less. 

12 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Nothing is stupider than cutting players and restructuring contracts to pay a complete journeyman JAG who will start 1 year max. 

Fitz wants 2 years 32 mil.  the money only becomes fully garenteed after 4 self implosions against Rex Ryan and the BIlls.

23 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It baffles my mind that you could make this claim. Who wants this? I don't think anybody wants this at all. What I think people want/wanted, in approximate order:

1. Lock up Mo long term on "team friendly" terms (anyone's own idea of what that number would be, but presumably under $16M/year max at this point).

2. Lock up Mo long term no matter what it takes under next year's tag amount of $19M/year. [some don't even want to go this high on a deal, feeling the number is too high for him, in particularly when weighed against who else the team also has]

3. If we are unable to reach an agreement with Mo, trade him for a minimum of a 2016 mid-first round pick plus more [roughly Maccagnan's alleged asking price, which was a first round pick plus something more, which was probably dependent upon how high the 1st round pick ended up being, to add up to the value of at least a mid-1st round pick]

4. If we are unable to reach an agreement with Mo, and can't get higher or mid- first round value for him in trade, then trade him for any first round pick in 2016.

5. If we are unable to reach an agreement with Mo, and can't get a 1st round pick in 2016, then try for a 1st round pick next year or a high 2nd rounder this year (these are supposedly/theoretically equal).

5. If we are unable to reach an agreement with Mo, and couldn't even get a high 2nd rounder this year or a 1st rounder next year, then trade Mo for anything we can get above the "woulda been" compensatory pick value (late 3rd round pick in 2017).

6. If we are unable to reach an agreement with Mo, and can't get a 3rd rounder for him, just trade him for anything we can get, or cut him outright, to avoid this year's $15.7M cap charge (either because it's a dead-end season so it would amount to throwing away good money at bad even though they like Mo, or because they want to use that money to re-sign Fitzpatrick, or because some feel those 2 reasons are one and the same).

*7. If we can't lock up Mo and can't get decent value for him, then tag him this year and let him play out the season, hoping we might be able to get a deal done later on. Next year try again, but we have no leverage since he is virtually untaggable with a # at $19M. At that point, if someone else throws him a number we can't match, then let him go and recoup a 3rd round comp pick in 2018 (which we only get if we lose more UFAs than we sign in 2017). 

* #7 can be the eventual desired outcome for some, but may fall anywhere between #2 and #7.

Personally I think option #7 sucks unless it works out that we lock him up this spring/summer. Letting him play out a year where we don't have a realistic chance of a SB, and using up some $16M to do so, only to lose him after the season, is a big waste (even if it is the best PR move available to Maccagnan).

Since this offseason began, nowhere did I see anyone want to trade Mo for a 3rd round pick. There are any number of things people preferred instead. 

We need to find a solution. Everyone mentions Watt money, but who knows exactly how much the Jets are offering? 

We need to retain our best players, especially when they're not in their prime yet. If you are concerned about having him walk in FA, tag him and trade him for a 3rd. Then we can spend as much as we'd like in FA and not worry about not being compensated in 2018. 

17 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Oh wait the Defender made a great play and undercut the WR who should have made a batter play on the ball. Fitz was not the problem on that play since he got the one on one matchup he wanted. The end result is not always the QB's fault.

If you honestly believe this, if you saw this, it explains a lot.  Because none of this happened.  It was horrible pass that should never, ever have been thrown.  It wasn't close to having been the result of a great play.  It was all on Fitz.  

This was the QBs fault on every single level there is to judge a play.  Throw in the game situation which only compounds how piss poor a play this was.  You dont get the matchup you wanted?  You check down or throw the ball away and live for another play.  Not throw a shlt pass and wait for cliche excuses that dont fit the situation

Talk about an apologist

This is depressing. Here's the critique when the QB is Fitz and the ball is mindlessly thrown to where only the defender could catch it.

8 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Oh wait the Defender made a great play and undercut the WR who should have made a batter play on the ball. Fitz was not the problem on that play since he got the one on one matchup he wanted. The end result is not always the QB's fault.

Here's the critique when the QB is Geno:

8 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Unfortunately you can't say oh crap until he plays in an actual game. I honestly don't care if Geno is picking up the offense that's not his problem, his problem is applying that to game action where he struggles. If Geno knew he was going to drop back and not get touched he would be an all pro but he does know those things. It's amazing how fast you unlearn sh*t in the heat of Battle and revert back to being crap. That's what an NFL QB has to deal with and most or a good percentage just can't handle it. Its what separates the Bad from the good from the great. Game awareness also suffers like knowing when to throw the ball away if you have more downs to make it happen. 

LMAO. It was Fitzpatrick who forced the season-killing pick to an unopen Decker on 2nd down.

7 minutes ago, Ghost said:

We need to find a solution. Everyone mentions Watt money, but who knows exactly how much the Jets are offering? 

We need to retain our best players, especially when they're not in their prime yet. If you are concerned about having him walk in FA, tag him and trade him for a 3rd. Then we can spend as much as we'd like in FA and not worry about not being compensated in 2018. 

They already did tag him, but Maccagnan's plan was to trade him for at least a 1st round pick or nothing. So if you want a 3rd rounder for him, without (effectively) using that pick to rent him for $16M for 1 more season, the time to do that would be now. My problem with that is I believe they'd just use the bulk of that newly-created room on Fitzpatrick.

If we tag him next year then we're keeping him next year. No one is going to trade for him a year later when he's already tagged at $19M for just the 2017 season alone. Negotiations would naturally begin with that amount for 2017, since he's already got that, and additional amounts for 2018+beyond at whatever rate. Certainly what I'd do if I were him.

Mo had (and has) decided that he'd rather bet on himself and his good health than accept less than he wanted in exchange for immediate security. That's his prerogative and I respect it. If he stays injury-free (and keeps performing in contract years) he will make a good deal more in the long run by playing it that way. He gets paid a lot per season this year (and possibly next year if tagged again), then he gets a long-term deal after additional cap inflation. So a long-term extension in 2014 - that may have then been $10-12M/yr (give or take) for 2016+beyond - will end up being $16M, then $18M, then maybe a 5 yr $100M deal after that. The snag was if he suffered a devastating injury in 2014 he'd have ended up with nothing for 2015 and beyond.

13 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

This is the myth that has been regurgitated over and over again by the media.  yes, Fitz needs the Jets, but the Jets do NOT need Fitz.  The Jets have 3 other QB's on their roster one of which has 3 years of NFL experience 2 as a starter.  

You're the mythmaker.  Yeah, they have 3 Qb's, but two are not ready and the other one demonstrably sucks.

On 5/17/2016 at 11:27 AM, Ex-Rex said:

Good point. I think another thing the organization as a whole needs to do is stop talking about Fitz. No more interviews with Marshall and Decker talking about the Jets QB situation. This is a potentially devastating situation. If Fitz doesn't come back, how can the Jets then turn to Geno Smith and say, "Your our guy" ? Mac recently said Geno could be a "good backup" for Fitz. If that is truly the case then the Jets have no other choice than to meet him halfway and take the franchise tag off Mo. I believe the Jets are going to lose him next year with no compensation, so let him test the market. The Jets can always match, if they can find the dollars under the cap. Or sign Mo and just close the door on Fitz. IMO Fitz is not going to be appreciably better than last year and in fact will probably regress this season. Mac has got to sh*t or get off the pot. Mo is a franchise type player who can help for a long time, while Fitz is a stopgap QB to one of the young guys who will compete for the job next year. I say sign Mo long term and let Fitz slide.

Mac said petty could be a good backup. Not geno.

Archived