Jets -- One of the Most Improved Defenses in Draft?

36 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Does the $ stand for $o fetch? At the rate you guys wear this sh*t out moneybacker is gonna be like the fourth most used word on the internet by September.

in my mind $LB stands for the new hybrid ILB/OLB/CB type player the league is moving towards.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The corner position still leaves much to be desired and the pass rush really needs Mauldin to take a big step. Other than that, the defense should be very solid and the only thing worth watching (besides the Aussie punter fight to the death) this season as the roster is currently constructed. 

1 hour ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Does the $ stand for $o fetch? At the rate you guys wear this sh*t out moneybacker is gonna be like the fourth most used word on the internet by September.

I look forward to watching you keep track.

5 hours ago, Big Blocker said:

As for the OP article, I think the Jet D can very well be an improved one given the draft.  Last year this time I think many were expecting D Davis to step up and he didn't, and in general the linebackers suffered from that.  Mauldin didn't show much until later, and he then showed real improvement, but that was later in the season.  Add the new guys and it's hard to see how the linebackers won't be better, perhaps much better.

Mauldin was seriously injured early on in the season. They brought him back slowly.

How do we know that these two new linebackers are better than Demario Davis? He was also young and fast, they say. He seemed good for awhile, especially after his first year. I remember him making a game saving tackle on a running back from behind, and we were singing his praises.  Don't know if it's an upgrade, or we're simply exchanging pieces straight up .

It's seems clear to the FO and most pundits that Henderson is an upgrade to Davis.  Apparently Lee will start in nickle packages as he learns the NFL and is expected to eventually push Henderson for playing time.  There are of course no rookie sure things but sans Davis is already an upgrade to the D. 

The ONLY way the Darron Lee pick works out for the Jets is in one of two ways. If either of those conditions are not met, Darron Lee is a wasted pick, Mac and Bowles suck at their jobs and both should be f*cking fired:

1) Move Lee to Safety. He's too small to play linebacker and he will get consumed by blockers much larger than him.

2) Change to a 4-3 alignment. Darron Lee's speed could be an integral part of A 4-3 alignment. In a 3-4 defense, he sucks and will be a completely wasted pick.

15 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

and we have to give Mac credit from bringing Henderson in when  most of us thought Davis would be the man going forward.

Very true, and an excellent observation.  Macc apparently was not as sold on D Davis, and planned accordingly.

12 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

The corner position still leaves much to be desired and the pass rush really needs Mauldin to take a big step. Other than that, the defense should be very solid and the only thing worth watching (besides the Aussie punter fight to the death) this season as the roster is currently constructed. 

Yes, the Jets seem to be really counting on Williams back there since I can't believe the plan is to move Skrine to #2cb on a regular basis, and obviously no one can count on Milliner.  Imo this is a gamble. Hope I am wrong.

30 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

The ONLY way the Darron Lee pick works out for the Jets is in one of two ways. If either of those conditions are not met, Darron Lee is a wasted pick, Mac and Bowles suck at their jobs and both should be f*cking fired:

1) Move Lee to Safety. He's too small to play linebacker and he will get consumed by blockers much larger than him.

2) Change to a 4-3 alignment. Darron Lee's speed could be an integral part of A 4-3 alignment. In a 3-4 defense, he sucks and will be a completely wasted pick.

Lee likely won't be playing in a traditional 3-4 alignment much at all since he's probably only playing in nickle and dime situations to start. You're arguing a point that doesn't exist.

1 minute ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Lee likely won't be playing in a traditional 3-4 alignment much at all since he's probably only playing in nickle and dime situations to start. You're arguing a point that doesn't exist.

true, if the over under for nickle was 55% of defensive formations, I would bet the house on the over. that is a ton of playing time for our 1st rounder this year.

1 hour ago, Mainejet said:

players like Skrine get it. The coach (who's considered a top-shelf defensive mind in the NFL) gets it. The GM gets it. NFL analysts get it.

Only our resident defensive coordinator of the Junior League Togus Trolleycars doesn't get it.

I'm not worried.

Ugh. 

Lee is the prototypical modern day 'Will' and fits perfectly in a Bowles' 3-4 hybrid defensive scheme. He has the speed to cover defenders in man. He has the awareness and sense for the ball to fall back in zone, he can run sideline to sideline, he has a knack for shooting the gap in blitz situations (run or pass). This is what you saw from him at OSU. This is how he was used. Yes, if he plays close to the line he will be eaten up. But he won't play close to the line. That's not where the Jets need him or will want to utilize him. He will play in space or have specific assignments. Harris, being the 'Mike' is responsible for playing close to the line and reading the run. He happens to be a great run-stuffing LB.

In fact, Jenkins, Lee, Harris and Mauldin all have specific responsibilities and fit perfectly for their roles. Jenkins being the 'Jack' who is responsible for setting the edge. Mauldin as the 'Sam' will be used to get after the QB, Harris, the 'Mike' will diagnose the play and be responsible to plugging up the middle and Lee is the 'Will'. 

You do realize that a lot of the 3-4 formations will have 4 defenders at the line, right? You know, like a 4-3. You do realize the NFL is a 'sub-package' league where players are moved in and out for running, passing, blitzing packages. Darron Lee was drafted to be a playmaker. That is what he will be. Bowles knows exactly how he will use him.  

To suggest that you need to 'move Lee to safety' and/or change the defense to a '4-3' or he is a 'wasted pick' is just ludicrous.

You sir are the weakest link. Goodbye. 

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Oh yeah, that's the other thing I forgot. he's a PART TIME player. meanwhile, every Jets fan KNEW the Jets had to yield a few starters in order to make this season competitive. So they picked a f*cking part time player?! I can see him being effective in a pass rushing, pin your ears back and go after the QB overloading the LOS. However, that is pretty much only on 3rd down and late in games when your ahead. Playing inside??? This guy is useless. He'll be the Jets version of Aaron Maybin.

So once again, when the Jets failed to gain a single starter out of this draft and the Jets are 5-11 this season? You should probably look at the correlation between the two... 

10 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

Oh yeah, that's the other thing I forgot. he's a PART TIME player. meanwhile, every Jets fan KNEW the Jets had to yield a few starters in order to make this season competitive. So they picked a f*cking part time player?! I can see him being effective in a pass rushing, pin your ears back and go after the QB overloading the LOS. However, that is pretty much only on 3rd down and late in games when your ahead. Playing inside??? This guy is useless. He'll be the Jets version of Aaron Maybin.

So once again, when the Jets failed to gain a single starter out of this draft and the Jets are 5-11 this season? You should probably look at the correlation between the two... 

Pretty sure Jenkins is going to be a Day 1 starter on the outside. Your negativity is pretty crazy. You should seek help.

43 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Lee is the prototypical modern day 'Will' and fits perfectly in a Bowles' 3-4 hybrid defensive scheme. He has the speed to cover defenders in man. He has the awareness and sense for the ball to fall back in zone, he can run sideline to sideline, he has a knack for shooting the gap in blitz situations (run or pass). This is what you saw from him at OSU. This is how he was used. Yes, if he plays close to the line he will be eaten up. But he won't play close to the line. That's not where the Jets need him or will want to utilize him. He will play in space or have specific assignments. Harris, being the 'Mike' is responsible for playing close to the line and reading the run. He happens to be a great run-stuffing LB.

In fact, Jenkins, Lee, Harris and Mauldin all have specific responsibilities and fit perfectly for their roles. Jenkins being the 'Jack' who is responsible for setting the edge. Mauldin as the 'Sam' will be used to get after the QB, Harris, the 'Mike' will diagnose the play and be responsible to plugging up the middle and Lee is the 'Will'. 

You do realize that a lot of the 3-4 formations will have 4 defenders at the line, right? You know, like a 4-3. You do realize the NFL is a 'sub-package' league where players are moved in and out for running, passing, blitzing packages. Darron Lee was drafted to be a playmaker. That is what he will be. Bowles knows exactly how he will use him.  

To suggest that you need to 'move Lee to safety' and/or change the defense to a '4-3' or he is a 'wasted pick' is just ludicrous.

You sir are the weakest link. Goodbye. 

HA HA HA 6-10 season is coming...GET READY

19 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Safe to say Mainejets first name is probably not Lance.

Guess Mainejet's day job isn't professional sports writer.  Probably the Pats fan with a second screen name,

they sure do make a cute couple.

40 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

Um, punters are players too.

Overall though I see 3 starter's and 2 potential contributors from the draft.

48 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

Bill Parcells was asked about the difference from when he coached & now. His answer, "teams play a lot more nickel now than in my time, we played about 40% nickel, today it's more like 80%". So there's your answer on why Lee will be DROTY!

54 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

Hes not a part time player, where do you come up with this nonsense?

Friggen camp hasnt started yet and you have the team missing on every single draft pick.  Youre a special kind of SOJF.

19 minutes ago, 77DRAFT said:

Guess Mainejet's day job isn't professional sports writer.  Probably the Pats fan with a second screen name,

they sure do make a cute couple.

He really is a borderline troll.  Not a full troll because I do believe he is actually a Jets fan. 

So that's what we've come to then? You have no actual answers just insults? Meanwhile, conspicuously not mentioning or arguing me claiming the team is headed for a 6-10 season? HMMM, your silence is very telling. Must be true, but you can't handle the truth, now can you?

BALTIMORE – There comes a time in Aaron Maybin’s artistic process when he needs to scrutinize his canvas.In a cluttered, paint-splattered studio – on the first floor of his three-story row house in the city’s gentrified Canton neighborhood – Maybin will pace this way and that. He will squint, cock his head, even climb halfway up the staircase in search of a fresh perspective.

Right around then, Maybin will take a deep draw of marijuana from a Black & Mild cigar or toke from one of the bongs scattered about.

“When I light one up,” Maybin said, “I’m usually figuring out what my next move is. It helps you see your vision from a different angle.”

Maybin is happy when he’s vibing. He can feel creative energy pulsing through his body. His senses crackle.

Advertisement

He’s guided by emotions. They dictate his actions, helping him create provocative art.

All that’s conveyed springs from within him, for him. Immersed in his art, Maybin is the master of his world, not a servant in somebody else’s. He cares not a driblet what anyone thinks or expects.

“I have no one to answer to,” Maybin said. “If I want to experiment with something, I’m going to do it.”

Through art, Maybin conjures his own enjoyment. He doesn’t have to wait for a general manager to extend a contract, for a coach to give him an opportunity, for a fan to cut him some slack.

Maybin knows many people consider him a football failure and one of the worst draft picks in Buffalo Bills history. Fans grew to loathe him for his colorful personality and wee production.

Many fans would say: “I would have given my right arm to have his opportunity.”

But fans might lop off their left arm to have Maybin’s life now.

Buffalo Bills first-round draft pick Aaron Maybin stands on the balcony of his Baltimore home. (James P. McCoy/ Buffalo News)

Buffalo Bills first-round draft pick Aaron Maybin stands on the balcony of his Baltimore home. (James P. McCoy/ Buffalo News)

His third-floor patio offers a magnificent panoramic view of downtown Baltimore and the harbor. He works with gorgeous models. His art explores whatever cultural, political and sexual themes move him. He travels the world. He’s involved in his community, working to fund the arts in public schools and using the death of Freddie Gray while in police custody as an opportunity to examine public policy.

“It’s hard for people to understand,” Maybin said. “Most people see the NFL as the pinnacle. You hear people say it all the time. ‘I would die to be in that position.’ But they don’t know the reality.”

Maybin merely wanted to play football as best he could while earning enough money to take care of his family. He exploded in his third year at Penn State, with 12 sacks, 20 tackles for losses and three forced fumbles. He was first-team All-America.

The Bills drafted Maybin 11th overall in 2009. Two years, one vainglorious rap song, several flamboyant hairstyles and zero sacks later, the Bills cut him. He was out of the NFL after four seasons.

Maybin isn’t solely to blame. Rare are the instances when an athlete’s inability to meet grand expectations is his fault alone.

Maybin, after all, led the 2011 New York Jets in sacks and tied for fifth among all NFL players in forced fumbles. He retired with an offer from the Indianapolis Colts on the table.

But with the Bills, he was miscast, mismanaged and misunderstood. He was unfinished when he arrived, and still unfinished when the Bills discarded him.

The Bills narrowed their 2009 first-round draft decision to three players and selected Maybin instead of future Pro Bowlers Brian Orakpo and Brian Cushing.

Maybin was a crafty pass-rusher, but undersized. He turned 21 just two weeks before the Bills drafted him. Much of his football canvas was blank. The Bills hoped he would bulk up, but his metabolism prevented him from maintaining weight.

Those around Maybin were unanimous in their praise of his work ethic and desire. But circumstance after circumstance wrung the joy out of him. He missed his rookie training camp, but he said it was because the Bills tried to lowball his contract.

Maybin was drafted to sack quarterbacks, but data shows coaches were reluctant to use him on passing downs. In two seasons with Buffalo, Maybin had three head coaches and two defensive coordinators. The Bills switched from a 4-3 defense his rookie season to a 3-4 defense the next. He’d never played in a 3-4 scheme.

19 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

Oh, and most notably was other articles pointing out they could be in for a down year, but yet those articles get NO credence????? What of bunch of pathetic homers.

6 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

BALTIMORE – There comes a time in Aaron Maybin’s artistic process when he needs to scrutinize his canvas.In a cluttered, paint-splattered studio – on the first floor of his three-story row house in the city’s gentrified Canton neighborhood – Maybin will pace this way and that. He will squint, cock his head, even climb halfway up the staircase in search of a fresh perspective.

Right around then, Maybin will take a deep draw of marijuana from a Black & Mild cigar or toke from one of the bongs scattered about.

“When I light one up,” Maybin said, “I’m usually figuring out what my next move is. It helps you see your vision from a different angle.”

Maybin is happy when he’s vibing. He can feel creative energy pulsing through his body. His senses crackle.

Advertisement

He’s guided by emotions. They dictate his actions, helping him create provocative art.

All that’s conveyed springs from within him, for him. Immersed in his art, Maybin is the master of his world, not a servant in somebody else’s. He cares not a driblet what anyone thinks or expects.

“I have no one to answer to,” Maybin said. “If I want to experiment with something, I’m going to do it.”

Through art, Maybin conjures his own enjoyment. He doesn’t have to wait for a general manager to extend a contract, for a coach to give him an opportunity, for a fan to cut him some slack.

Maybin knows many people consider him a football failure and one of the worst draft picks in Buffalo Bills history. Fans grew to loathe him for his colorful personality and wee production.

His third-floor patio offers a magnificent panoramic view of downtown Baltimore and the harbor. He works with gorgeous models. His art explores whatever cultural, political and sexual themes move him. He travels the world. He’s involved in his community, working to fund the arts in public schools and using the death of Freddie Gray while in police custody as an opportunity to examine public policy.

“It’s hard for people to understand,” Maybin said. “Most people see the NFL as the pinnacle. You hear people say it all the time. ‘I would die to be in that position.’ But they don’t know the reality.”

Maybin merely wanted to play football as best he could while earning enough money to take care of his family. He exploded in his third year at Penn State, with 12 sacks, 20 tackles for losses and three forced fumbles. He was first-team All-America.

The Bills drafted Maybin 11th overall in 2009. Two years, one vainglorious rap song, several flamboyant hairstyles and zero sacks later, the Bills cut him. He was out of the NFL after four seasons.

Maybin isn’t solely to blame. Rare are the instances when an athlete’s inability to meet grand expectations is his fault alone.

Maybin, after all, led the 2011 New York Jets in sacks and tied for fifth among all NFL players in forced fumbles. He retired with an offer from the Indianapolis Colts on the table.

But with the Bills, he was miscast, mismanaged and misunderstood. He was unfinished when he arrived, and still unfinished when the Bills discarded him.

The Bills narrowed their 2009 first-round draft decision to three players and selected Maybin instead of future Pro Bowlers Brian Orakpo and Brian Cushing.

Maybin was a crafty pass-rusher, but undersized. He turned 21 just two weeks before the Bills drafted him. Much of his football canvas was blank. The Bills hoped he would bulk up, but his metabolism prevented him from maintaining weight.

Those around Maybin were unanimous in their praise of his work ethic and desire. But circumstance after circumstance wrung the joy out of him. He missed his rookie training camp, but he said it was because the Bills tried to lowball his contract.

Maybin was drafted to sack quarterbacks, but data shows coaches were reluctant to use him on passing downs. In two seasons with Buffalo, Maybin had three head coaches and two defensive coordinators. The Bills switched from a 4-3 defense his rookie season to a 3-4 defense the next. He’d never played in a 3-4 scheme.

You need to take a closer look at Lee. Maybin was a completely different player coming into the NFL.

Jets will have a down year? Sure. Maybe they will, maybe they wont. Maybe they end up going 10-6 and still miss the playoffs (which would be a down year). Maybe they go 9-7 and MAKE the playoffs. You can predict all you want, we will only know once the season is done. But everything else, I mean LITERALLY everything else you have said is complete nonsense. 

Have I mentioned you are the weakest link, goodbye? 

28 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

So that's what we've come to then? You have no actual answers just insults? Meanwhile, conspicuously not mentioning or arguing me claiming the team is headed for a 6-10 season? HMMM, your silence is very telling. Must be true, but you can't handle the truth, now can you?

Multiple people have responded to your repetitive broken record BS, attempting to explain to you why Lee is more than a 'shrimp' and isn't Maybin 2.0. (I mean, besides the fact they play two completely different positions with different responsibilities). But after your 100th post of 'he's a shrimp' 'no starters in this draft' 'they needed a TE to beat the cover 2' 'they ignored the offensive line' blah blah blah, then there's nothing left to do but insult the stupidity that drools from your mouth.

And btw, yes- the Jets very well might go 6-10 this year, but that's not an indictment on the draft picks or on Mac's offseason plan. This is a rebuild. They don't have a viable answer at QB in 2017. The schedule looks tough. A regression is certainly possible- but that doesn't mean that the team isn't getting better. 

3 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

He really is a borderline troll.  Not a full troll because I do believe he is actually a Jets fan. 

Mainejet crossed the line when he went after when he went after our no. one draft choice before he even took

the field, thats just bogus, he's set himself up and will be proven wrong, he's stupid.

19 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Don't forget the CFL import Freddie Bishop who had 11 sacks last year.  He could be a factor as well, assuming he makes the team. 

3 hours ago, Mainejet said:

Advertisement

What does Maybin have to do with Darron Lee????   

3 hours ago, PepPep said:

You need to take a closer look at Lee. Maybin was a completely different player coming into the NFL.

Jets will have a down year? Sure. Maybe they will, maybe they wont. Maybe they end up going 10-6 and still miss the playoffs (which would be a down year). Maybe they go 9-7 and MAKE the playoffs. You can predict all you want, we will only know once the season is done. But everything else, I mean LITERALLY everything else you have said is complete nonsense. 

Have I mentioned you are the weakest link, goodbye? 

Maybin was a DE they tried to convert into an edge rushing LB. Lee was a safety they converted into a Will. Maine knows this, just as he knows we don't run a two gap, and that Harris' role is going to be to keep blockers off Lee. He now switches roles with Bart. 

Between that, our Linemen commanding double teams, and teams running 3 wide, or F TEs all time we are not going to have a problem.

This is not like Vilma in Mangini's read and react 2 gap system. It's a 1 gap with the NT sometimes covering the center. It's not even Rex' defense. The real difference between Rex' 3-4 and Bowles' is the Line doesn't read they just penetrate. The LBers read now. This, I think is what makes Wilk more valuable to Rex than Bowles. Anyway I think Lee will be clean, and I also think he can shed if he has too. At Ohio I think he was responsible for a gap where we will let him roam here. 

Maine should know all of this. Obviously he's unhappy and has lost perspective. 

9 hours ago, roscoeword said:

How do we know that these two new linebackers are better than Demario Davis? He was also young and fast, they say. He seemed good for awhile, especially after his first year. I remember him making a game saving tackle on a running back from behind, and we were singing his praises.  Don't know if it's an upgrade, or we're simply exchanging pieces straight up .

It was the only tackle he made

Archived