Jets -- One of the Most Improved Defenses in Draft?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, shuler82 said:

Multiple people have responded to your repetitive broken record BS, attempting to explain to you why Lee is more than a 'shrimp' and isn't Maybin 2.0. (I mean, besides the fact they play two completely different positions with different responsibilities). But after your 100th post of 'he's a shrimp' 'no starters in this draft' 'they needed a TE to beat the cover 2' 'they ignored the offensive line' blah blah blah, then there's nothing left to do but insult the stupidity that drools from your mouth.

And btw, yes- the Jets very well might go 6-10 this year, but that's not an indictment on the draft picks or on Mac's offseason plan. This is a rebuild. They don't have a viable answer at QB in 2017. The schedule looks tough. A regression is certainly possible- but that doesn't mean that the team isn't getting better. 

You know, I actually could have agreed with most of this until you got to the bolded part (insults beside). Rebuild my a$$. This team is in "WIN NOW" mode or at least they should be. The draft that Mac selected does NOT help us this season. It simply does not. Not against a playoff schedule it doesn't. They WILL go backward. It is simply a matter of just how much. Given their penchant for coming up short against winning teams, I figure about 6 wins is their ceiling.

And incidentally, you should know that the GM's job is to plug holes lost during the offseason while simultaneously making the team BETTER. Come on now, you could not possibly disagree with that, right? Well, this team is going backward this season GUARANTEED. So is Mac actually doing the job  or is your Jets love getting in the way of sound, logical thinking?

On 18/05/2016 at 2:03 PM, Mainejet said:

The ONLY way the Darron Lee pick works out for the Jets is in one of two ways. If either of those conditions are not met, Darron Lee is a wasted pick, Mac and Bowles suck at their jobs and both should be f*cking fired:

1) Move Lee to Safety. He's too small to play linebacker and he will get consumed by blockers much larger than him.

2) Change to a 4-3 alignment. Darron Lee's speed could be an integral part of A 4-3 alignment. In a 3-4 defense, he sucks and will be a completely wasted pick.

So how do you explain the same tandem of Mac and Bowles fielding at least a Top 10, and arguably a Top 5 D last year, with D Davis at the ILB position? Was it his extra 1" height, or 7 lbs weight, that saved him from being "consumed by blockers"?

I don't recall any posts last offseason about moving him to safety, or switching to a 4-3.

2 hours ago, jamesr said:

So how do you explain the same tandem of Mac and Bowles fielding at least a Top 10, and arguably a Top 5 D last year, with D Davis at the ILB position? Was it his extra 1" height, or 7 lbs weight, that saved him from being "consumed by blockers"?

I don't recall any posts last offseason about moving him to safety, or switching to a 4-3.

Facts are not welcome here. Only repetitive screaming from Chicken Little.

I like Mainejet's style. He's not like these goofballs who insist on having a take on everything which inevitably devolves into just mashing random words together like a Japanese soap commercial. He's just got this one take, but it's SUPER HOT. These single issue types kind of weird me out but there's also something like respect for knowing what you want to be made fun of forever on the Internet and really going for it.

On 5/18/2016 at 11:07 AM, Mainejet said:

Oh yeah, that's the other thing I forgot. he's a PART TIME player. meanwhile, every Jets fan KNEW the Jets had to yield a few starters in order to make this season competitive. So they picked a f*cking part time player?! I can see him being effective in a pass rushing, pin your ears back and go after the QB overloading the LOS. However, that is pretty much only on 3rd down and late in games when your ahead. Playing inside??? This guy is useless. He'll be the Jets version of Aaron Maybin.

So once again, when the Jets failed to gain a single starter out of this draft and the Jets are 5-11 this season? You should probably look at the correlation between the two... 

Still shoveling this horsesh*t?

4 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

My last post has no replies....HMMM... Once again very telling.......... I guess it must be true.

I  think if you had said you see this team's record getting worse due to tough schedule, no one would have had great difficulty with that.

Your theories about the defense and the use of Darron Lee are entirely another matter. I don't think a single poster or analyst agrees with you. That should at least make you pause.

We can disagree forever on whether the off-season acquisitions and draft improved the team. Personally, I think the FO did quite a good job with a restrictive cap and 6 picks (7 with the 2017 5th). Just curious who you thought the Jets should have taken in the draft... TE was a weak class. Lynch is a crapshoot coming from the spread just as Petty did. WR in the first would not have been an immediate benefit given who was there. Not sure your thinking...

1 minute ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

I  think if you had said you see this team's record getting worse due to tough schedule, no one would have had great difficulty with that.

Your theories about the defense and the use of Darron Lee are entirely another matter. I don't think a single poster or analyst agrees with you. That should at least make you pause.

We can disagree forever on whether the off-season acquisitions and draft improved the team. Personally, I think the FO did quite a good job with a restrictive cap and 6 picks (7 with the 2017 5th). Just curious who you thought the Jets should have taken in the draft... TE was a weak class. Lynch is a crapshoot coming from the spread just as Petty did. WR in the first would not have been an immediate benefit given who was there. Not sure your thinking...

First of all, thank you for a post that isn't filled with insults. I can respect that and carry on a decent conversation with you.

First and foremost, the tough schedule is probably the biggest reason why the Jets will have a losing record this season. Like I have posted multiple times. The NYJ do NOT beat teams with a winning record except about once per season. That should tell you all you need to know. Who gives a f*ck about beating up on a bunch of bottom feeder teams? That's NOT the point of the NFL. That like claiming your the Karate champion of the world when you were the only person that enrolled in the competition in your weight division. In order to be a champion you need to best the best of the best. The Jets fall flat on their face every single time these days. They CANNOT keep up with the best team in this league.

The Jets need to become a team that will beat winning teams on a regular basis, because when that happens? Then everyone, including myself, can know that we have a real live bonafide contender that we are rooting for. Right now they are nothing more than a team that might steal a playoff spot if you fill their schedule with lottery pick teams.

When you look at that and you can clearly see the impending doom of their schedule this season you have to look at the bigger picture. Like I said, it is the GM's job to fill holes during the offseason AND make the team better at the same time. I don't believe anyone could possibly argue that point. So given that the Jets are likely picking in the top 10 next April coming off a losing record, does that make you think Mac actually made the team BETTER?! I think that would be the dumbest claim ever on this board. He clearly failed his very job description.

Now if you wanted to claim given the fact that he had less than full compliment of picks and he was restricted by the cap, you MAY have a point, but I would point to the fact that he had 50 million last season and he couldn't keep the team out of cap trouble only one season later? He couldn't trade Mo and free up a ton of cap space? Is he going to let the second best player on the team leave after this season for a pathetic compensatory third round pick when he could have gotten at LEAST a 2nd rounder for Mo.

I want this team to move forward and if you look at the past regimes, Mac and Bowles are falling right into the very same pathetic scenarios that NEVER make the team better. A bad season followed by a wild card because of an easy schedule followed by a bad season. In other words, this team is NOT getting better. They are just another team that NEVER wins anything of real importance.

2 hours ago, Mainejet said:

First of all, thank you for a post that isn't filled with insults. I can respect that and carry on a decent conversation with you.

First and foremost, the tough schedule is probably the biggest reason why the Jets will have a losing record this season. Like I have posted multiple times. The NYJ do NOT beat teams with a winning record except about once per season. That should tell you all you need to know. Who gives a f*ck about beating up on a bunch of bottom feeder teams? That's NOT the point of the NFL. That like claiming your the Karate champion of the world when you were the only person that enrolled in the competition in your weight division. In order to be a champion you need to best the best of the best. The Jets fall flat on their face every single time these days. They CANNOT keep up with the best team in this league.

The Jets need to become a team that will beat winning teams on a regular basis, because when that happens? Then everyone, including myself, can know that we have a real live bonafide contender that we are rooting for. Right now they are nothing more than a team that might steal a playoff spot if you fill their schedule with lottery pick teams.

When you look at that and you can clearly see the impending doom of their schedule this season you have to look at the bigger picture. Like I said, it is the GM's job to fill holes during the offseason AND make the team better at the same time. I don't believe anyone could possibly argue that point. So given that the Jets are likely picking in the top 10 next April coming off a losing record, does that make you think Mac actually made the team BETTER?! I think that would be the dumbest claim ever on this board. He clearly failed his very job description.

Now if you wanted to claim given the fact that he had less than full compliment of picks and he was restricted by the cap, you MAY have a point, but I would point to the fact that he had 50 million last season and he couldn't keep the team out of cap trouble only one season later? He couldn't trade Mo and free up a ton of cap space? Is he going to let the second best player on the team leave after this season for a pathetic compensatory third round pick when he could have gotten at LEAST a 2nd rounder for Mo.

I want this team to move forward and if you look at the past regimes, Mac and Bowles are falling right into the very same pathetic scenarios that NEVER make the team better. A bad season followed by a wild card because of an easy schedule followed by a bad season. In other words, this team is NOT getting better. They are just another team that NEVER wins anything of real importance.

Mac was pretty careful overall in signing players in 2015 to avoid getting locked in to long term contracts.There were a couple of moves that can certainly be questioned, such as the size of the contract/guarantees for Revis, but the other side of the coin is that the team was fairly desperate for corners and Revis provides stability and high level talent to build around. I thought that Mac also did well this year in focusing on two major areas of weakness -- LB and ST's. In my humble opinion Forte was a good signing to replace Ivory, as the combo of Forte and Powell creates much more difficult coverage issues and offensive options than Ivory, as good of a power runner as he has been. TE is a fair debate. Much depends on Amaro's ability to be a factor. The pickup of Cunningham will help. The draft was not a good one for TE's. Hunter Henry is decent, but I wouldn't have taken him in the first or second. Hooper is a big drop-off from there. Rather have Jenkins. So my take is that the team actually DID get better in two key areas (defense and specials) and is perhaps marginally better on offense, assuming we have a viable QB.

Reality is, the Jets will never be an elite team until they get a franchise QB. That's the bottom line. I'm not a fan of Lynch -- he's not field smart and he's got a long way to go to learn a pro-style offense. With all of Hackenberg's foibles after his freshman year, I think he's genuinely got higher potential as an NFL QB. Short passing accuracy will make or break his career.

11 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Mac was pretty careful overall in signing players in 2015 to avoid getting locked in to long term contracts.There were a couple of moves that can certainly be questioned, such as the size of the contract/guarantees for Revis, but the other side of the coin is that the team was fairly desperate for corners and Revis provides stability and high level talent to build around. I thought that Mac also did well this year in focusing on two major areas of weakness -- LB and ST's. In my humble opinion Forte was a good signing to replace Ivory, as the combo of Forte and Powell creates much more difficult coverage issues and offensive options than Ivory, as good of a power runner as he has been. TE is a fair debate. Much depends on Amaro's ability to be a factor. The pickup of Cunningham will help. The draft was not a good one for TE's. Hunter Henry is decent, but I wouldn't have taken him in the first or second. Hooper is a big drop-off from there. Rather have Jenkins. So my take is that the team actually DID get better in two key areas (defense and specials) and is perhaps marginally better on offense, assuming we have a viable QB.

Reality is, the Jets will never be an elite team until they get a franchise QB. That's the bottom line. I'm not a fan of Lynch -- he's not field smart and he's got a long way to go to learn a pro-style offense. With all of Hackenberg's foibles after his freshman year, I think he's genuinely got higher potential as an NFL QB. Short passing accuracy will make or break his career.

Personally, I was a fan of Lynch. I was also a fan of taking the best WR at that time. I was also, more than anything else a fan of TRADING down. Mac could have cleaned up in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Instead. he took a Safety masquerading as a linebacker. I am not impressed. What about getting an OL? I thought there was some good value at TE in the 3rd and 4th rounds. So say what you want and sticking to your loyalty for Mac and Bowles. When the fact is, this guy has done NOTHING to earn your loyalty. NOTHING. Like I said, anyone that has 50 million in hand can do a nice of improving a team. That's so easy it's like getting laid in a whorehouse with a credit card. THIS season was the real test and I think he set the team up for failure. Hope that I am wrong, and so will I to be quite honest, but that is the way this season will play out.

13 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

Personally, I was a fan of Lynch. I was also a fan of taking the best WR at that time. I was also, more than anything else a fan of TRADING down. Mac could have cleaned up in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Instead. he took a Safety masquerading as a linebacker. I am not impressed. What about getting an OL? I thought there was some good value at TE in the 3rd and 4th rounds. So say what you want and sticking to your loyalty for Mac and Bowles. When the fact is, this guy has done NOTHING to earn your loyalty. NOTHING. Like I said, anyone that has 50 million in hand can do a nice of improving a team. That's so easy it's like getting laid in a whorehouse with a credit card. THIS season was the real test and I think he set the team up for failure. Hope that I am wrong, and so will I to be quite honest, but that is the way this season will play out.

Its easy to say just trade down, but let us know who you would trade with? 

As for LB's Darron Lee was the top one there.  Not gonna reach for injured LB's....not sure what is bothering you so much...

14 hours ago, Mainejet said:

Time to select a new Team.

5 hours ago, Mainejet said:

Actually, Mac tried to trade down twice -- once in the first, and again in the second. The only offer he got was from he Cowboys in the first and the deal wasn't a good one, from what he indicated. Based on what I read, they really wanted to move down in the second after Houston jumped ahead of them and didn't take Hackenberg, but they couldn't find a partner. It was not for lack of trying. The OL question is a good one, but it's all about relative value. Look at what was left at 20 in the first... it was a real reach to go for OL at that point given that all the first tier prospects were gone. The pick of Hackenberg in the second can be debated -- they might have gotten him In the third -- but if they were that definite about him being their guy, I can at least understand why they didn't want to roll the dice.

2 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Actually, Mac tried to trade down twice -- once in the first, and again in the second. The only offer he got was from he Cowboys in the first and the deal wasn't a good one, from what he indicated. Based on what I read, they really wanted to move down in the second after Houston jumped ahead of them and didn't take Hackenberg, but they couldn't find a partner. It was not for lack of trying. The OL question is a good one, but it's all about relative value. Look at what was left at 20 in the first... it was a real reach to go for OL at that point given that all the first tier prospects were gone. The pick of Hackenberg in the second can be debated -- they might have gotten him In the third -- but if they were that definite about him being their guy, I can at least understand why they didn't want to roll the dice.

if they had traded down, Spriggs would have been there in the 2nd round. That would have been good value as well.

So what did Mac net from this draft? He added a few linebackers that you guys obviously think is the solution to the whole world, right? So what you're saying lay terms is that the team will be better in 2016 because the defense will be better? The Jets defense was ranked 4th overall in 2015 and you think because they could move up the rankings to 3rd? 2nd? 1st? that they'll be what 10-6 again? That's complete BS and delusion. Mac did not do anything for the offense. Nothing. Forte will not have any increased benefit for the running game. The OL was shaky already. This season it will be a problem. Defenses will take advantage of the Jets not having a TE. Fitz will not be as well protected this season as he was last.

So you think because the Jets added a f*cking Safety posing as a linebacker, that will MORE than compensate for the Jets opponents having a winning percentage of 53.1%? Up from 44.1% in 2015? HA HA HA All I can say is lets revisit this conversation toward the end of 2016. It's safe to say the tone of your posts will have substantially changed.

9 hours ago, Mainejet said:

So you wanted to take Lynch, and a WR, neither of which would be a starter. You also wanted  OL, but you're not saying who you wanted with which pick. 

Mainejet is toting around a rep count similar to my checking acct balance my freshman year in college.

He's here to smash hopes and dreams and kick ass in the process.  

Godspeed my friend.

On 5/18/2016 at 0:42 PM, shuler82 said:

Multiple people have responded to your repetitive broken record BS, attempting to explain to you why Lee is more than a 'shrimp' and isn't Maybin 2.0. (I mean, besides the fact they play two completely different positions with different responsibilities). But after your 100th post of 'he's a shrimp' 'no starters in this draft' 'they needed a TE to beat the cover 2' 'they ignored the offensive line' blah blah blah, then there's nothing left to do but insult the stupidity that drools from your mouth.

And btw, yes- the Jets very well might go 6-10 this year, but that's not an indictment on the draft picks or on Mac's offseason plan. This is a rebuild. They don't have a viable answer at QB in 2017. The schedule looks tough. A regression is certainly possible- but that doesn't mean that the team isn't getting better. 

Just the same if you can't respond without insults then just don;t respond to him.  Thanks in advance.

On 5/18/2016 at 3:25 PM, 77DRAFT said:

Mainejet crossed the line when he went after when he went after our no. one draft choice before he even took

the field, thats just bogus, he's set himself up and will be proven wrong, he's stupid.

In case you missed it we don;t want any personal attacks. Please stop. Thanks,

1 hour ago, Pac said:

Mainejet is toting around a rep count similar to my checking acct balance my freshman year in college.

He's here to smash hopes and dreams and kick ass in the process.  

Godspeed my friend.

Once again, WRONG. I could care less about smashing hopes and dreams as you say. I am merely giving an objective opinion based the information ascertained from the offseason. NO ONE agrees with anything I have to say.

I contend this team is 6 wins at very best in 2016. I also happen to believe I am MUCH closer to the actual truth than the posters attacking me.

If the Jets do in fact have a down year, if they win approximately 4 to 6 games this season. Most of the posters here will contend that although they had a down season they got better as a team. I happen to believe it's just the opposite. I believe Mac merely allowed this team to move backward. I believe he's no different in his ways/strategies that Mike Tannenbaum, or Terry Bradway were at least this offseason. More or less the same very same sick play where eventually it dawns on everyone on this board that Woody's got to make some changes. It's time to clean house, yet the Jets have never even won so much as the division, let alone win a SB. I believe that about Mike MacCagnan right NOW based on what he did (or didn't do depending on your viewpoint) during this offseason. He neglected the offense and in particular an OL that is in desperate need of young blood not just in regards to depth, but starters as well. Mac still allowed this team to have the most pathetic group of TE stiffs in the league. The TE's on this team are so bad that the hope is that they are NEVER used on pass routes even once this season. Matt Forte will be useless without some decent blockers in front of him.

But like I already posted the schedule is the biggest reason for this upcoming bad season coupled with Mac screwing the pooch. The Jets, at the end of the day, simply lack the necessary talent to compete with the best teams on a weekly basis.

2 minutes ago, 77DRAFT said:

I guess personal attacks on players are okay.  Bigotry is never a good thing.

WTH is that supposed to mean? What was it that I supposedly said that makes me a bigot? Huh???? Lets hear it.....I'll be waiting......

Mainjet- wtf are you talking about? The Jets drafted a potential Franchise QB in the 2nd round. OFFENSE. And traded up for an OT who they believe can be a starting RT. If not this season, then next. I mean, they went BPA throughout the draft, tried to make some moves (trade up for a sliding Tunsil) and addressed a number of needs while doing so (QB, OLB, ILB, CB, OT, WR, P). I mean, literally, all of their selections were at positions of need and pretty much throughout they went BPA.

Stop complaining. Everybody is owning you on this thread. And that's because you're wrong. Not on everything, but on most things. So just stop already. The simple fact that you are calling D.Lee a Safety pretending to be a linebacker completely nullifies any attempts you make for a reasonable argument. You seem to be incapable of fair analysis if you truly believe that is all Lee is. You ask to be treated with respect, yet you come out spewing trash.

You are the weakest link. Goodbye.

10 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Mainjet- wtf are you talking about? The Jets drafted a potential Franchise QB in the 2nd round. OFFENSE. And traded up for an OT who they believe can be a starting RT. If not this season, then next. I mean, they went BPA throughout the draft, tried to make some moves (trade up for a sliding Tunsil) and addressed a number of needs while doing so (QB, OLB, ILB, CB, OT, WR, P). I mean, literally, all of their selections were at positions of need and pretty much throughout they went BPA.

Stop complaining. Everybody is owning you on this thread. And that's because you're wrong. Not on everything, but on most things. So just stop already. The simple fact that you are calling D.Lee a Safety pretending to be a linebacker completely nullifies any attempts you make for a reasonable argument. You seem to be incapable of fair analysis if you truly believe that is all Lee is. You ask to be treated with respect, yet you come out spewing trash.

You are the weakest link. Goodbye.

WTF are you talking about? You claim that I am the weakest link, yet you cannot even read? I said NOTHING in their draft helps us on offense in 2016. NOTHING. And I'll also let you in on a little secret......... Brandon Shell will NEVER be the starting RT for NYJ. He is depth at best and likely NOT depth that can be utilized in 2016. So before you go off half cocked figure out what you're talking about.

21 hours ago, Mainejet said:

WTH is that supposed to mean? What was it that I supposedly said that makes me a bigot? Huh???? Lets hear it.....I'll be waiting......

Still waiting 77Draft....... Come on now, if I'm a bigot as you say, then illustrate to all these posters in this thread how I posted so many racist views.

Perhaps you know that you are completely full of SH*T and maybe you learned on your own that you need to STFU?

On 5/22/2016 at 11:31 AM, Mainejet said:

WTF are you talking about? You claim that I am the weakest link, yet you cannot even read? I said NOTHING in their draft helps us on offense in 2016. NOTHING. And I'll also let you in on a little secret......... Brandon Shell will NEVER be the starting RT for NYJ. He is depth at best and likely NOT depth that can be utilized in 2016. So before you go off half cocked figure out what you're talking about.

I'm not sure what you were expecting. I'm not sure how you can assume a rookie, ANY rookie (including someone drafted 20th overall) can come in and make a major impact IMMEDIATELY. It's never guaranteed. Lee is no guaranteed to make an impact, and he will be playing on a talented defense with a very good D-line. You just don't know. So you can't assume had the Jets drafted an O-lineman or WR in the first round that said player would automatically make an impact. You draft for the FUTURE. By taking Hack in the 2nd that is exactly what the Jets did. So the Jets didn't draft an offensive player in the first round, so what, relax. They had a good draft and made solid selections that could very well develop into future starters and make the team better down the line. Mac didn't do enough in FA? Ok. Well what would you have done, enlighten us.  

Also, I'm not sure how you can automatically assume Shell will amount to nothing in the NFL. Why? Because he was a 5th round pick? Do I NEED to list all the NFL starting O-linemen drafted in the 5th round or below?  How about the guy Mac tried to sign this offseason as a starting OT- Kevin Beachem- yeah, that guy. He was a 7th round pick. So enough already, you're being an unreasonable loudmouth. I'm not trying to insult you but you are ranting and there is very little grounds to or analysis of any of your claims.    

so far- you are still the weakest link, goodbye.  

5 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I'm not sure what you were expecting. I'm not sure how you can assume a rookie, ANY rookie (including someone drafted 20th overall) can come in and make a major impact IMMEDIATELY. It's never guaranteed. Lee is no guaranteed to make an impact, and he will be playing on a talented defense with a very good D-line. You just don't know. So you can't assume had the Jets drafted an O-lineman or WR in the first round that said player would automatically make an impact. You draft for the FUTURE. By taking Hack in the 2nd that is exactly what the Jets did. So the Jets didn't draft an offensive player in the first round, so what, relax. They had a good draft and made solid selections that could very well develop into future starters and make the team better down the line. Mac didn't do enough in FA? Ok. Well what would you have done, enlighten us.  

Also, I'm not sure how you can automatically assume Shell will amount to nothing in the NFL. Why? Because he was a 5th round pick? Do I NEED to list all the NFL starting O-linemen drafted in the 5th round or below?  How about the guy Mac tried to sign this offseason as a starting OT- Kevin Beachem- yeah, that guy. He was a 7th round pick. So enough already, you're being an unreasonable loudmouth. I'm not trying to insult you but you are ranting and there is very little grounds to or analysis of any of your claims.    

so far- you are still the weakest link, goodbye.  

Do I need to go down through the list of players drafted at 20 overall that came in and made immediate contributions? It would also be especially easy on this team given the fact that they had so many holes to begin with.

But the biggest reason and the reason why I will ultimately be proven right over all that weakest link crap you keep shoveling will be the Jets record. This team will win no more than about 6 games this season. As of May 25th, 2016 they are destined for a 5 or 6 win season.

So if you enjoy having a bunch of dingbats running this team that will be no better than all the failures of the past, go right ahead. But the point of the NFL, is to win the SB and the Jets don't even have a snowballs chance in hell of doing that in 2016.

18 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

Do I need to go down through the list of players drafted at 20 overall that came in and made immediate contributions? It would also be especially easy on this team given the fact that they had so many holes to begin with.

But the biggest reason and the reason why I will ultimately be proven right over all that weakest link crap you keep shoveling will be the Jets record. This team will win no more than about 6 games this season. As of May 25th, 2016 they are destined for a 5 or 6 win season.

So if you enjoy having a bunch of dingbats running this team that will be no better than all the failures of the past, go right ahead. But the point of the NFL, is to win the SB and the Jets don't even have a snowballs chance in hell of doing that in 2016.

See now this is the problem:  is there any scenario you can imagine, Mainejet, this year where the Jets could have so reconfigured their roster that you would project them to win at least 50% of their games? And what would that have been, given the cap restraints and the actual picks in the draft? Calling Mac and Bowles dingbats because they are not SB bound is frankly pretty ridiculous. the operative question is whether we are even playoff bound, given the schedule you cite. If we stabilize the QB situation, there will more than a snowball's chance. Not much, but the snowball won't melt quite so quickly. :)

26 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

See now this is the problem:  is there any scenario you can imagine, Mainejet, this year where the Jets could have so reconfigured their roster that you would project them to win at least 50% of their games? And what would that have been, given the cap restraints and the actual picks in the draft? Calling Mac and Bowles dingbats because they are not SB bound is frankly pretty ridiculous. the operative question is whether we are even playoff bound, given the schedule you cite. If we stabilize the QB situation, there will more than a snowball's chance. Not much, but the snowball won't melt quite so quickly. :)

That's a defeatist attitude. And in particular the bolded part..... Well, why can't that happen? Teams do it all the time because they added those few extra missing pieces in that draft. They found those "diamonds in the rough" late in the draft. They made deals that sent their team over the top.

And maybe the term "dingbats" is not what you wanted to hear? But all I can see is another GM/HC doing the very same things as past regimes and EXPECTING different results. Now, wasn't there a very prominent 20th century physicist that called that "insanity"?

They put all their hopes and dreams in the draft. They HOPE they'll be able to go on a shopping spree once every say 5 to 10 seasons and get the sure fire performers.

I say lets not let the cap get in our way. lets plan for each and every season so we can land that highly coveted FA when available. I say lets make plenty of deals so we can trade back (certainly in this last draft) and accumulate players in the 2nd and 3rd rounds when all the talent was there. Lets trade a great DL while we can still get something in return for him. Lets not get some pretty good running backs and then leave them with no one to block in front of them.

Otherwise, we are falling into the same bad habits that every regime tries. I have seen this play out over and over again and it NEVER works. Tanny got that shopping spree in 2008. That coupled with a few good draft picks made this team competitive but never ultimately won us a SB. Same with Terry Bradway when he went on a shopping spree in the 2004 offseason. It NEVER worked. NEVER.

So whe you see the very same things play out over and over again and it never works, don't you think it would go logic that you need to change things up?

51 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

That's a defeatist attitude. And in particular the bolded part..... Well, why can't that happen? Teams do it all the time because they added those few extra missing pieces in that draft. They found those "diamonds in the rough" late in the draft. They made deals that sent their team over the top.

And maybe the term "dingbats" is not what you wanted to hear? But all I can see is another GM/HC doing the very same things as past regimes and EXPECTING different results. Now, wasn't there a very prominent 20th century physicist that called that "insanity"?

They put all their hopes and dreams in the draft. They HOPE they'll be able to go on a shopping spree once every say 5 to 10 seasons and get the sure fire performers.

I say lets not let the cap get in our way. lets plan for each and every season so we can land that highly coveted FA when available. I say lets make plenty of deals so we can trade back (certainly in this last draft) and accumulate players in the 2nd and 3rd rounds when all the talent was there. Lets trade a great DL while we can still get something in return for him. Lets not get some pretty good running backs and then leave them with no one to block in front of them.

Otherwise, we are falling into the same bad habits that every regime tries. I have seen this play out over and over again and it NEVER works. Tanny got that shopping spree in 2008. That coupled with a few good draft picks made this team competitive but never ultimately won us a SB. Same with Terry Bradway when he went on a shopping spree in the 2004 offseason. It NEVER worked. NEVER.

So whe you see the very same things play out over and over again and it never works, don't you think it would go logic that you need to change things up?

I'm not being defeatist, just saying that a team with not a lot of cap space is not going to do more than make marginal improvements. We didn't have 12 picks in the draft as we did with Idzik, so the draft was also limited. As mentioned elsewhere, Mac tried to trade down twice, from what I read, in the first and second. Didn't get a deal that worked. Happens. Can't say he didn't try. Trading Mo required Mo's cooperation. And the price tag was huge. Not surprising that the Jets didn't get a buyer that worked. Given where the Jets were drafting this year, it was almost certain that the players they were going to get would not be elite day one starters.  And very very few rookies change the overall dynamic of a team in the first year -- even QB's.

We will disagree of course, but I like what Mac did this year -- revamped the LB core; improved special teams, increased versatility in the backfield (at the expense of power), kept the DL together. If they sign Fitz, they will be a solid team with chances. Their record last year was deceptive as we all know, so arguing that they will make a big fall is a bit spurious. They were an 8-8 team last year who overachieved. They will likely be an 8-8 team this year playing a much tougher schedule.

21 hours ago, Mainejet said:

Sooooo, I don't understand, had they drafted, what, an OT in the first round rather than Lee they would be set up to have a better record? Or what? Sure, an first round rookie COULD make an impact, but they also might NOT- thats why the draft is a crap-shoot. Everyone knows that. Especially if you REACH for a player trying to fill a position of need rather than go BPA. 

I don't think anybody is arguing with you that there's a high possibility the Jets will struggle this year due to the schedule. I'm just don't see how you can put all the blame on Mac, or the draft, or the way the Jets went about the offseason. You don't seem to be giving very many suggestions as to how they should have gone about things. Trade Wilk? Ok. I'm pretty sure they tried and didn't get an offer they were willing to accept. Also, Wilk would have to be willing to sign a deal. For all you know they might end up re-signing Wilk- you know, their best player on defense.

So trading down would have solved their problems? What? c'mon man. Good value in the 3rd for a TE? Gimme a break dude. Stop acting like you know more than Mac about draft value and more than management and coaching staff about what the Jets need.

You act like somehow you are RIGHT about the failures of Mac b/c you are predicting a losing record for the Jets. What a JOKE! Stop it already. Any football fan, and especially Jets fan can tell you the schedule is tough this year and no matter what- NO MATTER WHAT- the Jets could find themselves struggling more so than they did last year. 

Honestly, just relax and enjoy the ride. The Jets have a good team this year. They actually have very little holes on both sides of the ball if they can come together as a team, if they get a little bit of luck with the progression of their young players and if guys like Amaro, M.Williams, Clady and  maybe even Geno step up, they could be very hard to beat. Wilk is still a Jet and their defense in general, with the infusion of youth and speed at LB should be SCARY. Their O-line (for all intensive purposes-assuming Clady is a viable replacement for D'Brick) is coming back intact. Lest we forget that it was a career year for Ivory, Fitz, and our WRs last season BEHIND that O-line and certainly not despite it. You can argue they were shaky at times but they also looked DOMINANT at times, especially early on in the season when Ivory was busting out for big chunks of yardage. Amaro coming back, a total rebuild of special teams, a more versatile more durable vet running back in Forte, should all help the offense. 

FRANKIE SAYS RELAX!         

On May 17, 2016 at 2:07 PM, Long Island Leprechaun said:

I'm guessing at least one of our posters will not agree with the analysis... :)

Six teams that improved most on defense in 2016 NFL Draft

JAX_logo.png

1. Jacksonville Jaguars

» Jaguars' 2016 draft class
No matter where Jalen Ramsey lines up in the secondary, Gus Bradley will surely have Ramsey in the lineup as he looks to use his size and playmaking potential from Day 1. For some, the fact that Myles Jack played so many different positions in college was viewed as a negative because they didn't feel like they had a grasp of where he best fit. I see Jacksonville as the perfect landing spot for his hybrid talents on the defensive side. While Yannick Ngakoue and Tyrone Holmes have some traits and could end up battling for playing time within the next year or so, Sheldon Day has right-now ability. Day isn't a perfect fit outside or inside up front due to his "tweener" size, but he has great feet and can be disruptive.

NYJ_logo.png

2. New York Jets

» Jets' 2016 draft class
The addition of linebacker Darron Lee helps in so many different ways for the Jets. Lee's speed and range will allow him to make some tackles that the Jets' inside 'backers couldn't get to in years past. The fact that he's good in coverage and as a blitzer simply adds even more three-down value. Jordan Jenkins is more of an edge-setter than a pass rusher off the edge, but he's tough and comes in with a pro-ready style that fits the Jets' personality. Fourth-round cornerback Juston Burris offers up size and matchup ability to work against some of the bigger targets in nickel coverage. With a willingness to tackle, Burris could find the field this season.

Without a doubt one of the dumbest articles every written. How can a team that was the fourth rank defense in the league be the most improved on defense. Not to mention they are playing a much tougher schedule , and probably going to finish next season with a worse defense ranking.( even though they might have improved on defense( lb position)). 

Three teams jump out improving the most this offseason on defense.  The Giants, the bills, and the Raiders.      Those three teams will jump up the most this year on defense from last year ranking.

Bills were a top defense unit that was hurt by having a lot of injuries last year .( this group has a chance to bounce back). 

The Giants and  the Raiders have made so much improvement on that side of the ball.

Archived