Jump to content

History Shows Reasons for Jets to Back Hack


JetNation
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Preseason is after training camp. 

But yes, you're right. 

Right just saying there's no real competition anymore until the actual preseason games start. They barely practice...the old CBA allowed for QB comps, now not so much.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

Right just saying there's no real competition anymore until the actual preseason games start. They barely practice...the old CBA allowed for QB comps, now not so much.

That doesnt sound like the way Bowles was running the competition. Seems like people were earning their keep since the start of training camp. But it is what it is, Fitz isnt here. If he resigns we'll see in '16

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hackenberg's stats were definitely pretty bad in his last season - but he did have a winning record all three years. He did this with a very bad team his last two season, in a pretty tough conference. 

Nice article btw. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

I heard his footwork had improved under Palmer as well but the few vids I saw from rookie mini camp seemed to show his accuracy on the short pass was still poor.

On Grudens QB camp vid his check downs looked so awkward - and that was in shorts with no pressure.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Yeah that is exactly whey the jets took him in the 2nd round, they didn't think he would be there in the 3rd.   All I know is that I already see the same excuse that have been made for some of our previous lousy QBing, no weapons, poor oline.  The jets obviously really like the guy but as I've said before, anyone that loves this pick should in the same breath be berating the jets for most of the rest of their draft.  If Hackenburg is a full time starter in say two years what id our aging broken oline going to look like then.  Marshall could be gone at any time where are our weapons?  (And though people love guys like peake he is still a long shot 7th rounder.)

 

Yeah we're so screwed if Hackenberg becomes a full time starter in 2 years because we didn't draft OL in the 2016 second round. Obviously the jets have no way to add any players between now and then. There goes any chance at the super bowl in our lifetime. SOJ

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Roethlisberger completed 65.5% of his passes in college.

Wilson completed 60.9% of his passes in college.

Flacco completed 60.7% of his passes in college.

Mariota completed 66.8% of his passes in college.

Carr completed 66.7% of his passes in college.

Bortles completed 65.7% of his passes in college.

Hackenberg didn't hit the worst of these marks in his best season, but hey, they were unprepared and he's unprepared so ALL THE SUPER BOWLS.

History shows absolutely no reason to think Hackenberg will ever be any good at all. Well, football history. This board's history says the second contract's gonna be a doozy.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Roethlisberger completed 65.5% of his passes in college.

Wilson completed 60.9% of his passes in college.

Flacco completed 60.7% of his passes in college.

Mariota completed 66.8% of his passes in college.

Carr completed 66.7% of his passes in college.

Bortles completed 65.7% of his passes in college.

Hackenberg didn't hit the worst of these marks in his best season, but hey, they were unprepared and he's unprepared so ALL THE SUPER BOWLS.

History shows absolutely no reason to think Hackenberg will ever be any good at all. Well, football history. This board's history says the second contract's gonna be a doozy.

How did Brady do in college?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

61.9%. Keep going, though. All it takes is a single example contra and the numbers just vanish.

Kurt Warner completed 50.6% of his passes in his sole year playing for the Amsterdam admirals. Thank god the jets avoided that bust

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/18/2016 at 6:59 AM, LIJetsFan said:

This is certainly an interesting counter point to the red shirt Hack for a year theory.  The only problem with Hack is that supposedly Franklin messed up his footwork so badly that his accuracy is questionable.  If this is really what happened, it might take more than TC/preseason to fix it.   

I've got a big post coming up that should make you feel better about how quickly he can turn this around.  The more film I watch of him the more he reminds me of Eli Manning or other QBs of that ilk where they throw some horrible looking passes and decisions and then the next play boom bomb for 50+ yard tds.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

I've got a big post coming up that should make you feel better about how quickly he can turn this around.  The more film I watch of him the more he reminds me of Eli Manning or other QBs of that ilk where they throw some horrible looking passes and decisions and then the next play boom bomb for 50+ yard tds.

Great, I'm looking forward to it since I'm a glass half full sorta Jets fan.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Roethlisberger completed 65.5% of his passes in college.

Wilson completed 60.9% of his passes in college.

Flacco completed 60.7% of his passes in college.

Mariota completed 66.8% of his passes in college.

Carr completed 66.7% of his passes in college.

Bortles completed 65.7% of his passes in college.

Hackenberg didn't hit the worst of these marks in his best season, but hey, they were unprepared and he's unprepared so ALL THE SUPER BOWLS.

History shows absolutely no reason to think Hackenberg will ever be any good at all. Well, football history. This board's history says the second contract's gonna be a doozy.

Wow!!  Did you call Mac or Gailey about this!!! Oh if only they knew!!! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, JetBlue said:

So many arm chair football coaches on this board.... 

 

Awkward is awkward bud. Not rocket science. As to why he looked awkward (footwork, arm motion, whatever etc) and how he can fix it I won't pretend to know. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, JetBlue said:

So many arm chair football coaches on this board.... 

 

On May 18, 2016 at 4:22 PM, JetBlue said:

You need to watch more film. Start with the Temple game and get back to me. Lynch had a much better line; it wasn't even close and btw I am not going to get into Lynch-Hackenberg back and forth.  Hack is a Jet. Lynch is not. 

 

Also, before calling me out prob better if you didn't just tell a guy to go watch more film and get back to you as if he's gotta catch up to your level of knowledge on Hackenberg 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, cant wait said:

Kurt Warner completed 50.6% of his passes in his sole year playing for the Amsterdam admirals. Thank god the jets avoided that bust

There you go. One guy had a bad season in what I assume was NFL Europe and became somebody like a decade out of college. Therefore Hackenberg is awesome. TAKE THAT, MATH.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

There you go. One guy had a bad season in what I assume was NFL Europe and became somebody like a decade out of college. Therefore Hackenberg is awesome. TAKE THAT, MATH.

No it just shows your lazy examples aren't enough to support your agenda. I'll give you another one-- jay cutler. My advice? Tone down the snark until you know what you're talking about 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

There you go. One guy had a bad season in what I assume was NFL Europe and became somebody like a decade out of college. Therefore Hackenberg is awesome. TAKE THAT, MATH.

Since you probably can't find warner's college stats, he threw for 59.3% his senior year after an extended career as a 3rd string for d2 northern iowa

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, cant wait said:

Since you probably can't find warner's college stats, he threw for 59.3% his senior year after an extended career as a 3rd string for d2 northern iowa

Strange to suggest that I'm the one having undue difficulty finding things considering you'd obviously have used the college numbers the first time if you'd had them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Strange to suggest that I'm the one having undue difficulty finding things considering you'd obviously have used the college numbers the first time if you'd had them.

For some reason warner's college numbers aren't listed on any of the sites I could find. I had to dig through his Wikipedia page of all places to find that one

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Lost me. They're the examples from the article. I don't have an agenda.

I was under the impression you were using the listed prospect accuracy percentages as a baseline for success-- I actually enjoyed the challenge but they are pretty lazy examples. Sorry I should have realized they were from the article, oops 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/18/2016 at 6:59 AM, LIJetsFan said:

This is certainly an interesting counter point to the red shirt Hack for a year theory.  The only problem with Hack is that supposedly Franklin messed up his footwork so badly that his accuracy is questionable.  If this is really what happened, it might take more than TC/preseason to fix it.   

The great thing is we will get to see if he has been able clean it up enough to not be a negative factor.  One thing is for sure; he is going to have to be a lot more accurate then he has been the last 2 years.  But again, I do believe much of that has to do with his footwork.   Plus, Petty could surprise;  Can't wait for Training camp! 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On May 18, 2016 at 0:37 PM, Beerfish said:

But he looked like garbage doing that the last two years and his big year of doing that under obrien was two full years ago.  The body of work didn't justify the pick value for me.  If he failed under Franklin what is he going to be like under non premium circumstances in the NFL?  Hopefully the Jets are right and I am wrong.  It doesn't take too long imo to find out if a guy will be good long term or not, a lot sooner than most think.  We'll know pretty quick about him.  Goodness knows the jets deserve a break of finding a guy but I'm skeptical of Hackenburg.

I have a formula for good qb's, and accuracy is a huge part of it, history shows accurate qb's are successful, Fitz and

Hack both are inaccurate, makes it a lot harder to succeed, hopefully Hack can overcome his issues, otherwise we

are absolutely screwed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Be_a_Jet said:

 

 

Also, before calling me out prob better if you didn't just tell a guy to go watch more film and get back to you as if he's gotta catch up to your level of knowledge on Hackenberg 

Sorry I really meant no offense but if you really think most of those sacks were on Hackenburg, either you didn't watch enough games, or you saw a different game than me.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

of all the throw away taken out of context stats the team has pushed about Hack, the one that resonates with me is Hack's stats in the tri-state area

 

he was the MVP of the Pinstripe Bowl (dec 30th outside vs Boston College) and maybe more than once against Rutgers. I'm too lazy to look it up but he did well. 

compared that to Geno Smith who looks amazing every time he's in Miami playing in the Orange Bowl (even in the pros) but sh*t his pants for 2 safeties during his Pinstripe bowl appearance.

 

obviously, we all know that scouting prospects isn't an exact science. But verifying that a player has the ability to perform a certain set of conditions, that is similar to your professional team's conditions is at least something.  

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Jets probably figured because Penn State had no O line and horrible receivers, (I don't think any where drafted) you can safely add 10% to his completion percentage over the past two years. Take into account his OC and the'offense, add another

5 %.     The guy is an absolute stud.  Nice knowin you Fitz.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

of all the throw away taken out of context stats the team has pushed about Hack, the one that resonates with me is Hack's stats in the tri-state area

 

he was the MVP of the Pinstripe Bowl (dec 30th outside vs Boston College) and maybe more than once against Rutgers. I'm too lazy to look it up but he did well. 

compared that to Geno Smith who looks amazing every time he's in Miami playing in the Orange Bowl (even in the pros) but sh*t his pants for 2 safeties during his Pinstripe bowl appearance.

 

obviously, we all know that scouting prospects isn't an exact science. But verifying that a player has the ability to perform a certain set of conditions, that is similar to your professional team's conditions is at least something.  

 

 

It's not an exact science but it isn't ******* witchcraft either. Pinstripe bowl he says. Good grief.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am glad people brought up Russell Wilson. Russell Wilson threw for 54%, 59%, and 58% at NC State, then went to Wisconsin and threw for 72% - but the team and coaching staff had nothing to do with it. Maybe it would have been better if Hack transferred to Alabama and threw for 80% - but then you dont get him in the second round. Also keep in mind Wilson red shirted at NC State and was two years older than Hack coming out. Scouting players isn't about what they did in college, its about what they project to do in the NFL. Sometimes players reach their full potential and sometimes they don't. Hopefully Hack does.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

It's not an exact science but it isn't ******* witchcraft either. Pinstripe bowl he says. Good grief.

I found the stats: Hack has performed well not just in Yankee Stadium but in Metlife too

 

Christian Hackenberg ’s first ever college start in 2013 took place at his new home — MetLife Stadium. He led the Nittany Lions to a 23-17 win over Syracuse, throwing for 278 yards and two touchdowns. The following season, he threw for 371 yards and four touchdowns in a 31-30 Pinstripe Bowl victory over Boston College at Yankee Stadium. Seems he already feels comfortable at home.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...