How the Jets are selling out their most loyal season ticket holders

joewilly12

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, SAR I said:

All I know is my $75 Mezzanine seat in 2001 jumped to $125 by 2008, that's a 67% price increase for a lousy team in a dump of a stadium in a 7 year perior.  I do not recall a single thread in the discussion forums I was participating in back then discussing the pricing, talking about greed, there was no outrage.

I can understand some not liking the PSL fees when they were announced and commitments were due in 2008.  But now that we can look back those 8 years, the Jets didn't raise ticket prices and the PSL's covered what would have been a $50 increase across the sections, that's a smaller jump than the one we experienced in the 7 years prior with a crappy team and a dump.

All I'm saying is that from here-in, every thread that talks about the financial pain of PSL's needs to also reference the lack of the ticket price increase that we all expected.  Opening Day 2010, Opening Day 2011, and even Opening Day 2012 we were in the conversation for Super Bowl potential, the Jets could have hiked us up $35 or $50 if they wanted to.  They didn't.  That counts.  That matters.  That's just as relevant a narrative as the PSL's that happened a lifetime ago.

SAR I

I remember people whining.  the fans don't like Woody for some reason.

when I started going to games in 1990 all seats were in the 20s.  Mine were $22.50 a seat(my parents as I was still barely in High school).  it remained around $25 until parcells came on board.  I think it jumped to $30 in '97 w/ no preseason then $40 with preseason and it gradually kept increasing.  we weren't crappy from 1997 until the end of our time at that stadium.  

53 minutes ago, Shadetree said:

I have a 60" HDTV and a recliner.

One time, I fell asleep with a half-eaten buffalo chicken wing on my chest. No one bothered me. 

You can do that at the game in the UD with the blue collar guys from Staten Island.

Plus you can get drunk, burp and fart and no one will bother you.

1 hour ago, Section 333 said:

Now I see, u just spit bs based on your "recollection " of an 8 year old thread. 

You are as dumb as I thought, u think that jets stadium and development is a 3rd party cause they gave it an llc. 

If u do have any money it must have been from a passed down family business that your Daddy ran. U are dumb as a stump. What do u do Sar? Sell shoes for a living?

If you don't like him, just put him on ignore. Please, I don't want to be in the corner that is defending Sar because that would make me feel dirty lol. But seriously there is a better way to make your point \ have this debate.

If there isn't then just do the ignore thing. Thanks.

I will tell you what, and I apologize in advance if this gets too deep. But season tickets are very important to me. I said this before but I got tickets out of high school. Two seats, I would go to every game with my Dad. We were there to watch football and root for the Jets but over the years I realized it was much more than that. We bonded over football and the other stuff, just spending time with my Dad eventually became more important than the game.

He stopped going years ago but now I go with my son Shane. He picked his college so he could still make Jets games with me. When he would get his college football schedule, he would immediately tell me what games he had to miss and he was bummed. Again, he was going for the Jets games and it became something bigger than that.

When my wife Lauren first got cancer a few years ago my son and I would still go to the games and it was like a break from life. An escape from the stresses that life can bring. 

I was talking to Lauren last night. Her cancer is back and she is having surgery this week. It was one of those, what really makes you happy kind of talks. I asked her to tell me the things that she thinks make me happy. There was family stuff at the top of the list. But right there, one of the first things she said was, "Going to Jets games with Shane".

And that pretty much just sums it up for me. Sure I would like the Jets to win the Super Bowl every year. When they do it will be an amazing feeling. That said, going to the games, being at the stadium is so important to me. There is no way I was going to let a $2,500 per seat PSL stop me from going. I took the 15 year financing option on two seats, $5,000 in total.

I never viewed it as a financial investment. I do view it as more than that from the family perspective.

5 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I will tell you what, and I apologize in advance if this gets too deep. But season tickets are very important to me. I said this before but I got tickets out of high school. Two seats, I would go to every game with my Dad. We were there to watch football and root for the Jets but over the years I realized it was much more than that. We bonded over football and the other stuff, just spending time with my Dad eventually became more important than the game.

He stopped going years ago but now I go with my son Shane. He picked his college so he could still make Jets games with me. When he would get his college football schedule, he would immediately tell me what games he had to miss and he was bummed. Again, he was going for the Jets games and it became something bigger than that.

When my wife Lauren first got cancer a few years ago my son and I would still go to the games and it was like a break from life. An escape from the stresses that life can bring. 

I was talking to Lauren last night. Her cancer is back and she is having surgery this week. It was one of those, what really makes you happy kind of talks. I asked her to tell me the things that she thinks make me happy. There was family stuff at the top of the list. But right there, one of the first things she said was, "Going to Jets games with Shane".

And that pretty much just sums it up for me. Sure I would like the Jets to win the Super Bowl every year. When they do it will be an amazing feeling. That said, going to the games, being at the stadium is so important to me. There is no way I was going to let a $2,500 per seat PSL stop me from going. I took the 15 year financing option on two seats, $5,000 in total.

I never viewed it as a financial investment. I do view it as more than that from the family perspective.

First off, very sorry to hear about Lauren and I hope this week goes well.

Your view of PSL's is very similar to mine, you can't put a price on the experience and time with your family.  And while Stubhubbing can save money in the long run, only with season tickets can you sit next to the same fans consistently at every game, for the past 6 seasons we've bonded with those around us, I consider them friends, the guy behind me brings fresh baked cookies to every game for his kids and mine, it's something that adds value beyond just going to a game.

Again, prayers are with you and your family this week, God bless.

SAR I

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

First off, very sorry to hear about Lauren and I hope this week goes well.

Your view of PSL's is very similar to mine, you can't put a price on the experience and time with your family.  And while Stubhubbing can save money in the long run, only with season tickets can you sit next to the same fans consistently at every game, for the past 6 seasons we've bonded with those around us, I consider them friends, the guy behind me brings fresh baked cookies to every game for his kids and mine, it's something that adds value beyond just going to a game.

Again, prayers are with you and your family this week, God bless.

SAR I

Thank you.

That is a very big part of it as well, the people you become close with.  Years ago, there was a guy that sat in back of us. He got really sick one year. The first game the next season we saw him at the first game and were thrilled to see him. He was better, this was in like 1990 before email, Facebook etc. But I remember talking to my Dad and we wondered if that guy was alright. I ended up looking up the guy that used to sit next to me way back then and we are Facebook friends now.

Same goes for my new section. Just got an email from the lady that sits in front of me. We all just check in from time to time during the offseason. All of that makes it a non-financial decision. Which is why the PSL was a non brainer for me once they had a $2,500 option.

22 minutes ago, Maxman said:

If you don't like him, just put him on ignore. Please, I don't want to be in the corner that is defending Sar because that would make me feel dirty lol. But seriously there is a better way to make your point \ have this debate.

If there isn't then just do the ignore thing. Thanks.

It's always the same old sh*t with him. I will ignore him in the future. Sorry. 

16 minutes ago, Maxman said:

If my psl for my mezzanine seats was 2500 I may have done the 5 year and kept them, possibly. Cause it would kill me to still be paying 5k per year in psl in 13 years from now when the psl at that point has 0 value. My biggest  thing with the season tix is when I can't go, and the preseason. Even when we were good and comming off an afc championship appearance, seats were still much cheaper than the 165 per ticket I was paying. 

I don't care how Sar spends his money, my stance is his seats aren't good enough to justify even the 127 price tag, psls excluded. 

8 hours ago, Dcat said:

Nobody cares about "Back in the day".  Has little relevance in 2016.

You should care and you should show some damn respect to your elders its you young whipper snappers who are ruining everything for everybody in this damn country the new generation is a bunch of damn pussys :D

No really back in the day fans were fans unlike today they pick and choose depending on the weather and depending on the day and time of the game I used to have tl eave for work at 5 am and never ever missed a night game regardless if it was Thursday or Sunday nights. 

2 hours ago, Shadetree said:

I have a 60" HDTV and a recliner.

One time, I fell asleep with a half-eaten buffalo chicken wing on my chest. No one bothered me. 

And you dont have to deal with drunken fools like this clown who is an embarrassment and by the way he pissed his pants. 

*WARNING*  Video contains foul and vulgar language. 

for all of the money the jets get from their psls and get from the concessions- the one thing I wish the jets would improve upon is their stadium security -it is simply AWFUL-it might be the worst out of any sports venue i go to. They have one "security" person in each area-many times and older gentleman or a woman neither being equipped to deal with trouble aka a brawl when they occur. The security outside is even worse-they have tons of parking folks there that honestly do nothing and that is an insult to the word nothing.

I have been going for years-have several psl including some of the best in the house but every year that goes by I feel the venue is getting less and less family friendly-when the schedule comes out right away I scan to see which games my gf and nephew will not be allowed to go to as I know things will get ugly. The pats games are always bad news-the turkey night game a few years ago was the worst thing I have ever seen-there were fights before I even walked into the stadium.

At this point, I don't know why people are still going on about the PSLs.  I personally never liked the concept.  The team pushing the investment BS was the ultimate insult.  I went with prime uppers just based on the fact that I want guaranteed tickets to every game, but didn't want to take part in the PSL BS.  Money was never the issue.  I still keep them, as every game gets used.  If I don't use them, I have about 10 other people that want them.  My view of the entire field is better from my current seats than it was from seats at old section 123.

Anyway, I'm over it. The PSLs didn't work out the way the team wanted and that's only helped the consumer.  You can get tickets is any location under face for ALMOST every single game.  

32 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

You should care and you should show some damn respect to your elders its you young whipper snappers who are ruining everything for everybody in this damn country the new generation is a bunch of damn pussys :D

No really back in the day fans were fans unlike today they pick and choose depending on the weather and depending on the day and time of the game I used to have tl eave for work at 5 am and never ever missed a night game regardless if it was Thursday or Sunday nights. 

I'm in my mid 50's. Tell me again why I should give 2 sheets about your "Back in the day"?  I can play that game too. I.e. Back in the 60s, my grandfather and I would walk through Flushing Meadow on game day to Shea. (True). He'd always have different seats since he could buy them a day or two before the game. Concessions were very inexpensive then. We didn't go to every game because we didn't have season tickets because nobody needed them back then.  Not that any of my "back in the day" is even remotely relevant to anyone  but me now.  Newsflash: None of your "back in the day" is relevant either.

11 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Was that walk 3 miles long in a driving blizzard and uphill both ways?

Only when I tell my children about it.

You should hear all the hardships I went through just to make it to school every day (but again only when I tell my kids).

And that is exactly what season tickets are all about.

The NFL is not an investment, it is entertainment, good times and great memories, nothing more.

Anybody complaining about PSL's, ticket prices, parking and concessions need to choose another form of entertainment.

My first invoice for season tickets was for $325 (10 games at $32.50 a game on the 30-yard line on the lower level). I couldn't sleep for a week because I was worrying about paying for them.

To this day, I have never regretted that decision.

Great perspective, and well said Max!

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

Great post Boss. Thanks for sharing.

47 minutes ago, jmat321 said:

At this point, I don't know why people are still going on about the PSLs.  I personally never liked the concept.  The team pushing the investment BS was the ultimate insult.  I went with prime uppers just based on the fact that I want guaranteed tickets to every game, but didn't want to take part in the PSL BS.  Money was never the issue.  I still keep them, as every game gets used.  If I don't use them, I have about 10 other people that want them.  My view of the entire field is better from my current seats than it was from seats at old section 123.

Anyway, I'm over it. The PSLs didn't work out the way the team wanted and that's only helped the consumer.  You can get tickets is any location under face for ALMOST every single game.  

123?  Hello former 123 brother!  I had section 123, row 24 seats 8 & 9 from 1984 to 2004 before expanding to more seats in a different endzone section so both my son's, wife and daughter could come. Miss the old guy with the megaphone down in the front of 123! I believe  was called "Big Daddy". What row were you?  Do you remember the game in the late 90's when Joe Klecko popped by and sat with us in 123 in the back rows for almost the entire game?

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

Exactly as I feel. Your post nearly brought a tear  to my eye.  Good luck on Lauren's surgery this week. My hopes and prayers are with your family.

20 minutes ago, Dcat said:

123?  Hello former 123 brother!  I had section 123, row 24 seats 8 & 9 from 1984 to 2004 before expanding to more seats in a different endzone section so both my son's, wife and daughter could come. Miss the old guy with the megaphone down in the front of 123! I believe  was called "Big Daddy". What row were you?  Do you remember the game in the late 90's when Joe Klecko popped by and sat with us in 123 in the back rows for almost the entire game?

had 4 seats in row 16, remember Klecko, also remember the fake spike right in our faces

17 hours ago, SAR I said:

It's the complete opposite.  People are pissing on PSL owners like myself because we can afford them.  The rhetoric is defensive, not offensive.  Start reading this thread from the beginnings, see the callouts, see the personal attacks, then see my responses.

There's some pathetic unwritten rule on the internet that says people without money can take shots at people with money and not the other way around.  Well, when people stop throwing their poverty in our faces, we'll stop throwing our wealth in theirs I guess, PSL owners aren't here to be told how to spend our fun money.

SAR I

On 5/22/2016 at 11:34 PM, SAR I said:

The only ones who keep this fire burning are those who used the PSL process as an excuse to quit on the team and watch TV at home.  

SAR I

You said this before anyone said anything to you in your first post in the thread.

On 5/22/2016 at 11:45 PM, SAR I said:

Seeing it was offered to me and I don't have the need, better to extend the opportunity to a fellow PSL holder than a carpetbagging quitter season ticket holder from Giants Stadium who took the free seats in the MetLife upper deck when the Jets were playing in Championship games and spit in our faces as soon as the going got tough.

SAR I

On 5/22/2016 at 6:53 AM, SAR I said:

You never paid a PSL and now you've quit on the team completely when after some success there are rough waters ahead.

You have no financial commitment and yet can still attend games by buying the seats of PSL holders who can't attend a few games. 

Congratulations on being living proof of 1) everything wrong with freeloading upper deckers and 2) how Stubhub and the aftermarket make PSL ownership carefree and are good for fans who can't afford season tickets. 

You use the Jets as an excuse for an argument that "rich people are stupid with their money" instead of facing the truth is that it's actually the poor people who are. You know, the idiots who overextend themselves on luxuries they cannot afford and then blame the people who can. 

SAR I 

Carpetbaggers and freeloaders?  There is nothing wrong with having a PSL, my father has PSLs cause he never got far enough down the waiting list either.  

But there are fans of the Jets who decided not to buy PSLs because they couldn't afford them or because they felt they were a bad investment.  Some still come to games sitting in unused PSL seats and some up top.  Some of them have been rooting for the Jets since before either of us attended a game.  

We're all Jets fans man, regardless of whether we watch them on TV or sit in our PSLs on Sunday.

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

And you dont have to deal with drunken fools like this clown who is an embarrassment and by the way he pissed his pants. 

We don't have this in the UD.

Isn't this guy in SAR's section?

1 hour ago, brothermoose said:

You said this before anyone said anything to you in your first post in the thread.

Carpetbaggers and freeloaders?  There is nothing wrong with having a PSL, my father has PSLs cause he never got far enough down the waiting list either.  

But there are fans of the Jets who decided not to buy PSLs because they couldn't afford them or because they felt they were a bad investment.  Some still come to games sitting in unused PSL seats and some up top.  Some of them have been rooting for the Jets since before either of us attended a game.  

We're all Jets fans man, regardless of whether we watch them on TV or sit in our PSLs on Sunday.

Point 1:

The very first post in this thread is a photo of an executive with his head exploding with my name on it.  When provoked, I will respond.  So would you.

Point 2:

Your father, like myself, was blocked out of being a season ticket holder by "carpetbaggers and freeloaders".  They existed.  They were real.  From 1983-2010 you'd have grandchildren of Shea Jets fans with seats on the 40 who were Cowboys fans and Dolphins fans and they would take grandpa's 4 seats, sell all 4 of them for 2x or 3x face value, and feed the scalpers who would sell them to large corporations as gifts for big clients, make a few thousand dollars in the process.  That's a "freeloader".  Then you have your Jets fans, had grandpa's Shea Jets tickets down on the 50, good fans, loyal fans, and would sell half the games (lame ones) for 2x face value and attend the other four games (good ones) for free.  That's a "carpetbagger". 

Both of these factions were driven out by the PSL process, it's the biggest benefit to Jet Nation in the whole endeavor.  When huge PSL's were instituted, all the freeloaders were out.  When ticket prices were adjusted for real-world demand, all the carpetbaggers were out, couldn't take the pain of moving up to the top of the stadium like your dad and I did, didn't want to pay their dues.  I don't pity them at all.  SAR 1987 couldn't get a seat to a Jets game because of them.  Now it's their turn to cry. 

This enema of the fanbase was long, long overdue and it took a new stadium to do it.  The Jets were creating a huge aftermarket for scalpers and screwing people like me and your dad.  Ask your father.  He'll get on his knees and thank Woody Johnson for getting them out of the stadium so that true fans like he and I could get good locations, finally, though it cost us a few bucks in the process.

Point 3:

Those who hit hard times or didn't have the down payment for PSL's are also huge beneficiaries of the PSL process because that's where the Stubhub inventory comes from.  These loyal fans shouldn't condemn the PSL process or the PSL owners.  Instead, they should thank us for missing a few games so that they themselves can attend on occasion, sometimes at dirt-cheap prices.  While I can get $175 for my $125 seats to a decent game, I often get only $50 for the rest.  That's some Jets fans' bargain and it's on my dime, I don't complain.

Big Picture:

PSL's are good for everyone except those who had an unbelievable gravy train by being born with grandpa's seats and got to make a ton of money while attending games at no charge.  Those people should be ashamed of themselves.  Instead, a lot of them post in this forum and whine about how they were "mistreated".  It's unbelievable, really.

SAR I

3 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

"ACL, ACL! Blow it, Blow it"<<<<and that was the gentle words! 

This is probably the guy that Geno checked after the game, that soon afterward many Jets fans were then "appalled" by Geno's actions lol. 

What a tool. 

4 hours ago, Maxman said:

Wow, that is a beautiful post. Thank you so much for sharing. I will be thinking and praying for Lauren and your entire family.

3 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

And that is exactly what season tickets are all about.

The NFL is not an investment, it is entertainment, good times and great memories, nothing more.

Anybody complaining about PSL's, ticket prices, parking and concessions need to choose another form of entertainment.

My first invoice for season tickets was for $325 (10 games at $32.50 a game on the 30-yard line on the lower level). I couldn't sleep for a week because I was worrying about paying for them.

To this day, I have never regretted that decision.

Great perspective, and well said Max!

So you are not one of those bandwaggon Pats fans? I hate Pats and their a&#036;&#036;hole fans including you but I will at least respect you if you were a Pats STH before Brady era began. 

Archived