Ryan Fitzpatrick clear he wants to play for the Jets

Jetfan13

58 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Pretty sure Macc and Fitz will come to an agreement.  It is in the best short-term interests of both parties.  

Its not in anyones best interest we have 2 rookie QBs who deserve a shot and another QB who deserves a chance with a real OC and Offense we already know what Fitzpatrick is a journeyman who has never took a team to the playoffs

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While Newsday reports that the Jets' initial offer to Fitzpatrick was $7 million to $8 million a year, which is less than half of what many starting quarterbacks make these days, Fitzpatrick insists he's not concerned with comparing paychecks, though he didn't want to talk specifics on dollars and cents.

"I think maybe earlier on in my career, that's something you fall into as a player, but right now, no," he said. "I mean, I know, I understand the market, I understand those guys and am happy for them getting what they got, but I know my value to a team is my value to a particular team. You drive yourself crazy if you sit and look at other numbers and say, 'Why not me, why not me?'"

Well it certainly sounds like fitz has been driving himself crazy comparing paychecks to the other FA QB's this offseason 

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Its not in anyones best interest we have 2 rookie QBs who deserve a shot and another QB who deserves a chance with a real OC and Offense we already know what Fitzpatrick is a journeyman who has never took a team to the playoffs

I'm all in on Hack but I don't think we'd want him to start from day 1 (I'd rather Geno start the first 8 games or so).  Petty isn't a rookie but I guess it's up to the coaches to decide if he's worthy of a shot.  

1 hour ago, cant wait said:

While Newsday reports that the Jets' initial offer to Fitzpatrick was $7 million to $8 million a year, which is less than half of what many starting quarterbacks make these days, Fitzpatrick insists he's not concerned with comparing paychecks, though he didn't want to talk specifics on dollars and cents.

"I think maybe earlier on in my career, that's something you fall into as a player, but right now, no," he said. "I mean, I know, I understand the market, I understand those guys and am happy for them getting what they got, but I know my value to a team is my value to a particular team. You drive yourself crazy if you sit and look at other numbers and say, 'Why not me, why not me?'"

Well it certainly sounds like fitz has been driving himself crazy comparing paychecks to the other FA QB's this offseason 

Undoubtedly.  I certainly can't blame him for that.  Look at what Osweiler got.  And Chase Daniel.

During an interview with SiriusXM NFL Radio at the golf event, Fitzpatrick was asked about some observers defining him — as, ultimately, a mediocre quarterback — based on that poor game in Buffalo. 

"I don't really care how people define me," Fitzpatrick said. "I was an afterthought when I got drafted [in 2005]. I was the 250th pick, fifth from the last. I was hoping to be Mr. Irrelevant, but the Rams picked me up. I've been on six different teams.

"What defines me is not what I do on the field or who I am as a football player. What defines me is my five beautiful kids, my wife, who I am off the field. A lot is made of that [on-field] stuff, but I'm defined, at least in my own mind, as much more than just an NFL quarterback." 

7 hours ago, Jetfan13 said:

Free-agent quarterback  Ryan FitzPatrick, in his first public comment since the end of the season, said Monday that he wants to return to the NY Jets,  Rich Cimin of New York ESPN reports

" I would like to Be back"  Fitzpatrick told two reporters at Willie Colons charity golf outing at 

Hudson national golf.

Fitzpatrick who is engaged in a 3 month contract stalemate,  dispel rumors that he may retire  if he doesn't receive the money he covets.

" I am playing," he said, " I am playing football next season"

So shocking! There are 18 teams lining up to sign him but he wants to play for the Jets? Shocking! Newsworthy! Bigger news than Armstrong landing on the moon!

4 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

So in your scenario, the Jets play Geno until the wheels fall off, likely week 4 or 5 if not sooner, and then what? Play one of the not ready for prime time young guys? That doesn't seem to do much for the franchise going forward either. 

How about of his scenario is the wheels don't fall off, in any week. Got to love this approach, predict doom and gloom as if it's fact.  

15 minutes ago, roscoeword said:

we need Fitz because our window is small considering the age of Revis and Marshall, and we don't have time or luxury to test the kids.

And Fitz proved a year ago that he's the guy to get us to the playoffs

If we had the cap sure no brainier. But mac decided not to do anything about the Oline in the draft. Shell is not going to be ready to start and may never be a starter. Thats what we needed to improve and where could make cuts if we had drafted 1-2 early. Fitz won't be better than last yr. he is very lucky Marshall and decker were mostly healthy.. I think geno could play somewhere near fitz level with those two to throw to. Remember geno was much more immature and had zero targets last time he started.. Sorry fitz.. Missed your window

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

How about of his scenario is the wheels don't fall off, in any week. Got to love this approach, predict doom and gloom as if it's fact.  

The rhetoric on this board has been the schedule is too tough. The Jets schedule, especially the first third of it, seems daunting. If the starter, Geno will likely struggle massively against those teams. It's not doom and gloom. It's a realistic viewpoint. 

2 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

The rhetoric on this board has been the schedule is too tough. The Jets schedule, especially the first third of it, seems daunting. If the starter, Geno will likely struggle massively against those teams. It's not doom and gloom. It's a realistic viewpoint. 

What I love is how the tough schedule is used to explain why Fitz will be a poorer QB next year. As if he's the only QB who could suffer as a result.

Last I checked, our schedule does not change based on who we start at QB. So if Fitz will suck because of the schedule, so will Geno / Petty / Hack. It doesn't alter the outcome of "who is the best option at QB". 

6 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

And Fitz proved a year ago that he's the guy to get us to the playoffs

Do we have anyone on our roster now, or available in free agency, who would make us more likely to be a playoff team in 2016/2017 while we wait for Hack/Petty?

11 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

So in your scenario, the Jets play Geno until the wheels fall off, likely week 4 or 5 if not sooner, and then what? Play one of the not ready for prime time young guys? That doesn't seem to do much for the franchise going forward either. 

In my scenario, the young QB's go into the camp and battle for the starting position.  If Geno wins, hopefully he has a nice long successful season.  If a journeyman QB can have a career year in this system with these weapons, maybe a 10x more talented player can as well.  If Geno fails, and needs to be replaced by week 5, cool, lets see what we have in Petty or Hack. 

Both scenarios advance the franchise in that they get a look at what they have in what they believe is the future of the team.  They traded up for Petty, lets see what he's got. They took Hack in the 2nd round, lets what hes got.  They didnt get to see Geno last year, lets see what he's got.  All of those scenarios, advance the franchise. 

We know what Fitz has and its not very good and it does nothing for the future of the team.  Starting Fitz again, puts us right back in the same position next year, talking about who's playing QB.  Playing the kids and moving on from Fitz, lets us know exactly what they have and what they need to do at QB to find a long term solution. 

It's actually really simple logic.

42 minutes ago, jamesr said:

What I love is how the tough schedule is used to explain why Fitz will be a poorer QB next year. As if he's the only QB who could suffer as a result.

Last I checked, our schedule does not change based on who we start at QB. So if Fitz will suck because of the schedule, so will Geno / Petty / Hack. It doesn't alter the outcome of "who is the best option at QB". 

Yes. But we don't need to pay any of those other guys $10mm to lose.  

Losing gracefully isn't enough. 

2 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Schedule will be just as hard for Fitz.  Will be just as daunting for Fitz, he can struggle just as much as Geno.  

Really doesn't make sense to think the schedule will effect one more than the other

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

In my scenario, the young QB's go into the camp and battle for the starting position.  If Geno wins, hopefully he has a nice long successful season.  If a journeyman QB can have a career year in this system with these weapons, maybe a 10x more talented player can as well.  If Geno fails, and needs to be replaced by week 5, cool, lets see what we have in Petty or Hack. 

Both scenarios advance the franchise in that they get a look at what they have in what they believe is the future of the team.  They traded up for Petty, lets see what he's got. They took Hack in the 2nd round, lets what hes got.  They didnt get to see Geno last year, lets see what he's got.  All of those scenarios, advance the franchise. 

So sacrifice any chances for competitive play in 2016.

So we can "see what we got", despite the Coach and GM "seeing what they got" in practice every day and all camp.

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

We know what Fitz has and its not very good and it does nothing for the future of the team.

I think you undervalue being consistently competitive.  I also think you undervalue the worth of a veteran mentor to help our young, greenhorn, QB's develop and learn the pro game.  

Giving up seasons to "see what we got" is what the Cleveland Browns do.  Hows that working out for them?

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Starting Fitz again, puts us right back in the same position next year, talking about who's playing QB.  Playing the kids and moving on from Fitz, lets us know exactly what they have and what they need to do a QB to find a long term solution. 

It's only simple if going 4-12 in 2016 is ok by you, for potentially no gain of any kind.

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Do we have anyone on our roster now, or available in free agency, who would make us more likely to be a playoff team in 2016/2017 while we wait for Hack/Petty?

Actually a different option wasn't the point.  The point was Fitz didn't get us there last season with everything in place, what makes anyone think he can get us there this year?  No one knows that with a different QB, yes even Geno, we wouldn't have made the playoffs.  

Because the only thing we know is that Fitz had the chance and didn't get us there.    

Just now, Warfish said:

So sacrifice any chances for competitive play in 2016.

So we can "see what we got", despite the Coach and GM "seeing what they got" in practice every day and all camp.

I think you undervalue being consistently competitive.  I also think you undervalue the worth of a veteran mentor to help our young, greenhorn, QB's develop and learn the pro game.  

Giving up seasons to "see what we got" is what the Cleveland Browns do.  Hows that working out for them?

It's only simple if going 4-12 in 2016 is ok by you, for potentially no gain of any kind.

Well this all very assumptive.  I dont see this team any less competitive with our without Fitz.  Moving on from Fitz, doenst mean any of those things because you dont know what you have in those other QB's.  Again, that's the point.

Your Cleveland Browns is actually really funny because it proves my point exactly.  They havent "seen what they got" at all.  Their starting QB's have all been journeyman QB's. McCown, Hoyer, Campbell, McCoy.  They started Manziel because of injury and that's their fault for drafting him to begin with.  Now, if they decide to start Kesler over R3, then you have point.   Otherwise, they're the perfect example of trying to be "competitive" and it back firing because they never give the future a chance.  So thanks for helping out!

7 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Actually a different option wasn't the point.  The point was Fitz didn't get us there last season with everything in place, what makes anyone think he can get us there this year?  No one knows that with a different QB, yes even Geno, we wouldn't have made the playoffs.  

Because the only thing we know is that Fitz had the chance and didn't get us there.    

In a career year vs. the easiest schedule in the history of the NFL...

19 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Agreed. Fitz is the best option as an average placeholder this year. He's had the reps with his receivers and establish comfort in the system. Doesn't mean Geno couldn't perform, but there appears no real confidence from his coaching staff in handing him the ball. To me, that's pretty damning. I'll wait to see the actual contract before determining that we got hoisted and gave up too much. I never expected that once Fitz held out on $7 million it would stay there if they wanted him back. It was going to be a compromise figure of some sort. $9-10 would have been my personal expectation with incentives built in. Let's wait and see before the hysteria commences.

15 minutes ago, JiF said:

Well this all very assumptive.  I dont see this team any less competitive with our without Fitz.  Moving on from Fitz, doenst mean any of those things because you dont know what you have in those other QB's.  Again, that's the point.

Poor analysis IMO.  We know exactly what we have in Geno Smith, he's been in the league three seasons, started two of them, and was in practice under this regime all year last year.  If you really believe they (Macc, Bowles, Chan) don't think they know exactly what they have in Geno Smith, and that that fact is whats driving the ongoing desire to resign Fitzpatrick, you've simply misunderstood the reality here.

The organization is not interested in finding out what they have in Geno as a starter, and no one thinks Hack or Petty is ready.  if they did, the Fitz chase would have ended months ago.

Your Cleveland Browns is actually really funny because it proves my point exactly.  They havent "seen what they got" at all.  Their starting QB's have all been journeyman QB's. McCown, Hoyer, Campbell, McCoy.  They started Manziel because of injury and that's their fault for drafting him to begin with.  Now, if they decide to start Kesler over R3, then you have point.   Otherwise, they're the perfect example of trying to be "competitive" and it back firing because they never give the future a chance.  So thanks for helping out!

Except McCoy was drafted by Cleveland, not a veteran Journeyman at all.

Manziel (2014-15), Wheeden (2012-13), McCoy (2010-11), Quinn (2007-09), Frye (2005-06) and Couch (1999-2003) all drafted by Cleveland.  All given a "see what they can do" run, all failures.  

This is in no way managing the QB position to be competative, this is the textbook definition of what you want to do in 2016, play the kids, if they fail, draft more kids and play them, rinse, repeat.

12 minutes ago, JiF said:

The reality is that as a Jet last year Fitz outperformed by a mile all the Browns QB's mentioned. In addition, his offensive unit wants him back. His coaching staff wants him back. In other words, the guys who know him best think he's the best option. On the other side of the coin, Geno wants himself back (and a bunch of JI fans who think they're infinitely smarter than any of the above Fitz supporters.

31 minutes ago, JiF said:

We know what Fitz has and its not very good and it does nothing for the future of the team.  Starting Fitz again, puts us right back in the same position next year, talking about who's playing QB.  Playing the kids and moving on from Fitz, lets us know exactly what they have and what they need to do at QB to find a long term solution. 

Simple logic from a pure football standpoint.  Yet from the entertainment perspective that almost guarantees an unwatchable season.  I agree with you and 100% convinced Fitz will be back strictly to appease the masses.  Chance are Fitz returns from never ever again land and we see our young QBs get game action after we are mathematically eliminated.  Most likely close to the first week it's possible to be out.  This way we have plenty of time to talk about the QB we are taking next year.

31 minutes ago, JiF said:

Its easy for fans to think like this, and I don't disagree one bit with your logic. But GM's, HC's and FO's do not and cannot think like this, especially in NY, or they get to drive by huge signs daily calling for their firing. If they think Fitzpatrick is worth 2-3 more wins this year than Geno, there is a price they will put on that. 

5 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

The reality is that as a Jet last year Fitz outperformed by a mile all the Browns QB's mentioned. In addition, his offensive unit wants him back. His coaching staff wants him back. In other words, the guys who know him best think he's the best option. On the other side of the coin, Geno wants himself back (and a bunch of JI fans who think they're infinitely smarter than any of the above Fitz supporters.

All of this is the undeniable truth, no matter how much Jet fans want to kick, scream and whine about this. At the end of the day, either Mac and Bowles and co. know what they are doing or they don't. They definitely have more information about this stuff in droves than any single "expert" on this forum.

41 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Schedule will be just as hard for Fitz.  Will be just as daunting for Fitz, he can struggle just as much as Geno.  

Really doesn't make sense to think the schedule will effect one more than the other

Cool. I never said the opposite.

44 minutes ago, JiF said:

Oh, of course. The NFL, if anything, is always just based on simple logic. You know better than that.

I'm not quite sure if Bowles and Mac agree with you to throw the young guys to the wolves so early in their development. Doesn't seem to be quite what they're looking to do at this stage at all. I could maybe see Petty getting some games in a Geno started season in the second half. I don't see Hackenberg playing at all this season. I don't think either are going to be all that good, but it's worth a shot.

I'd rather see Petty than Geno going by your theory. If you want to watch a season of Geno again, that's up to you. I, for one, am not a masochist, so  you enjoy that. We've already witnessed what he's got. It's not even close to being anything but bottom of the barrel.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Poor analysis IMO.  We know exactly what we have in Geno Smith, he's been in the league three seasons, started two of them, and was in practice under this regime all year last year.  If you really believe they (Macc, Bowles, Chan) don't think they know exactly what they have in Geno Smith, and that that fact is whats driving the ongoing desire to resign Fitzpatrick, you've simply misunderstood the reality here.

The organization is not interested in finding out what they have in Geno as a starter, and no one thinks Hack or Petty is ready.  if they did, the Fitz chase would have ended months ago.

Except McCoy was drafted by Cleveland, not a veteran Journeyman at all.

Manziel (2014-15), Wheeden (2012-13), McCoy (2010-11), Quinn (2007-09), Frye (2005-06) and Couch (1999-2003) all drafted by Cleveland.  All given a "see what they can do" run, all failures.  

This is in no way managing the QB position to be competative, this is the textbook definition of what you want to do in 2016, play the kids, if they fail, draft more kids and play them, rinse, repeat.

We dont know what we have in Geno Smith on this team, with these coaches and these weapons.  You know what Geno was playing on the worst offensive teams in the league and terrible coaching.  HUGE difference.  See: Ryan Fitzpatrick

This "arent ready" talk I dont buy into.  You either are or you arent.  So lets see what we got and go.  Experience cant be substituted.  Not only on the field but in practice too.  Fitz takes snaps away from them all which holds back development. 

Manziel, Weeden, Quin and Couch - were all 1st round picks, who all started out of necessity or because of injury, except Couch who was the 1st overall pick.   Those are not similar examples, at all.  McCown, Hoyer, Campbell and now R3 - that's what the Jets do bringing back Fitz. 

1 hour ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Coaches are always right and always make the right decisions. 

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Oh, of course. The NFL, if anything, is always just based on simple logic. You know better than that.

I'm not quite sure if Bowles and Mac agree with you to throw the young guys to the wolves so early in their development. Doesn't seem to be quite what they're looking to do at this stage at all. I could maybe see Petty getting some games in a Geno started season in the second half. I don't see Hackenberg playing at all this season. I don't think either are going to be all that good, but it's worth a shot.

I'd rather see Petty than Geno going by your theory. If you want to watch a season of Geno again, that's up to you. I, for one, am not a masochist, so  you enjoy that. We've already witnessed what he's got. It's not even close to being anything but bottom of the barrel.

I dont care who plays QB, I just dont think Ryan Fitzpatrick provides any long term value to this team.  Paying him to go 8-8 is pointless. 

Archived