Ryan Fitzpatrick clear he wants to play for the Jets

Jetfan13

51 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

How long you been on Patsfan?

Do they know you are a Jets fan?

I got banned on my teams message board because I was too "negative".

JN is a much better board.

Yup, it's right in the name.  JetFan79.  Look at the "Jets Suck" thread.  I have a blast in there.  They keep that thread going year round.

I like the opposition though.  Said it a bunch of times, but I relate it to politically being Right/Left and only watching Fox/MSNBC respectively.  Boring and a waste.  Good to hear both sides of things.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, PatsFanTX said:

Fitz struggled to beat the Pats backup players (8 starters did not play in that game) and then in a win-and-in game he proceeded to $hit the bed by throwing 3 picks in the 4th quarter.

Yea, the guy is an awesome NFL QB.

Good luck moving forward with an 11-year loser.

So you're in the Geno camp? LOL. Yeah, Pats fans would love to see Geno under center. They call that party time.

5 hours ago, Big Blocker said:

Smith Fans crack me up.  I guess they not only are not embarrassed about blaming all his awful failures on others, they literally did not see how his errors were unforced, all on him.  Interceptions off tipped balls?  Nah, just throw it right to the (unseen) defender the way Smith prefers.  And why pay attention to where you are on the field when you can always keep your loyal fans despite making otherwise hugely amusing mistakes?  How about a little creativity like a basketball move switching the ball in your hands behind your back?  Oh, whoops!  His Fans still love him. 

Best of all probably was playing like sh!t in every game that counted in your second year.  Who needs improvement?  I can just keep the love by beating up on old Miami in the last game my Fans remember.

I've never seen such misplaced loyalty in my life.

Or you can keep the fans by throwing 3 picks in a game where the playoffs were on the line, and then think you deserve a 16M/season contract. 

2 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Geno threw 3 picks in 5 passes. Just sayin. 

Fitz should change his name to butgeno. That way when he plays like crap, he can be automatically excused because geno smith has also played poorly

5 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

I can handle the debate as to whether average Fitz is better/worse than potential Geno. But I find absolutely no value in talking about how many teams Fitz has been on prior to the Jets. It's meaningless. He learned the system last year, has a good relationship with his teammates, played well overall with some obvious lapses, and is preferred by everybody in the FO. People here act like the Jets coaches have yet to see how Geno plays or "aren't giving him a real chance." That's such BS. Of course they know what Geno brings to the table. They just don't have confidence in him. They wouldn't be out spending $10 million or so on an average old guy if they did. That's all there is to say. People here think Geno just needs weapons. Personally, I think GEno needs a brain transplant. So if you don't trust your front office, what people here should be calling for is the heads of Mac, Bowles, and Gailey. They obviously don't have a clue -- not to mention guys like Decker and Marshall. They know nothing compared to our resident geniuses.

Then, you are saying that professional scouts, GM's, coaches and execs on 5 other teams who have all turned their back on FITZ has NO bearing on what his ability is long term?

OK.    You have that right.  I am NOT defending Geno, I am standing with MAC and believe FITZ deserves not a penny more than say $5 mil. 

Let's face it...this team was good enough offensively and defensively to make the playoffs last season. Terrible, game changing special teams and the growing pains of a rookie coach (though to a lesser extent) were major factors in the team missing out. Special teams certainly did not win us any games, and at the very least, cost us a game. To overlook that would be to diminish greatly the value of having a good kicking and return game as potential difference makers. An average or subpar special teams unit is one thing, but this one was flat out bad. Find a guy who can boom the ball and pin teams deep and a game breaker in the return game, and this team will be in better position every game. You can't continually lose the field position battle when facing top quarterbacks and you can't give away free points by muffing kickoffs and starting at the fifteen yard line drive after drive. 

9 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Then, you are saying that professional scouts, GM's, coaches and execs on 5 other teams who have all turned their back on FITZ has NO bearing on what his ability is long term?

OK.    You have that right.  I am NOT defending Geno, I am standing with MAC and believe FITZ deserves not a penny more than say $5 mil. 

The assessment is based on how he did with the Jets last year, given that he would be playing with largely the same group of players in the same system. No, for purposes of determining which middling QB I'm going with, I don't give a rat's ass about how he did with Buffalo, or Houston, or whomever. We're not assessing whether he's going to grow to become a franchise QB. That ship sailed about six years ago. We're trying to assess if he's the best alternative among the choices we actually have. For this coming year, he makes the most sense. That's all I'm saying. Would I like to have him for under $7 million -- of course, I would. He will get more than he's worth because the Jets want to move forward and prepare for the season, not be stalemated. It's a bargaining chip on his part, given that they obviously DO NOT WANT Geno to start. If it was fifty-fifty, we wouldn't even be having this conversation. They obviously have little desire to put the team on Geno's shoulders.

27 minutes ago, cant wait said:

Fitz should change his name to butgeno. That way when he plays like crap, he can be automatically excused because geno smith has also played poorly

1. Just like Geno should change him name to "give a fair chance with talent around him see what we got?"

2. There are no excuses for Fitz.  Wouldn't it be great if Geno fans would hold their preferred guy to the same standard?  Excuses are all Geno fans have to support their preference, and some are already making pre-emptive excuses for why he won't do so well in 2016.

3. It's Geno or Fitz.  Of course we will compare one vs. the other, they're the only two options!

13 minutes ago, UpstateJetsGuru said:

Let's face it...this team was good enough offensively and defensively to make the playoffs last season. Terrible, game changing special teams and the growing pains of a rookie coach (though to a lesser extent) were major factors in the team missing out. Special teams certainly did not win us any games, and at the very least, cost us a game. To overlook that would be to diminish greatly the value of having a good kicking and return game as potential difference makers. An average or subpar special teams unit is one thing, but this one was flat out bad. Find a guy who can boom the ball and pin teams deep and a game breaker in the return game, and this team will be in better position every game. You can't continually lose the field position battle when facing top quarterbacks and you can't give away free points by muffing kickoffs and starting at the fifteen yard line drive after drive. 

Quigley was bad but I think the fact that the jets had the 4th highest 3 & out percentage last season didn't really help the situation

10 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

The assessment is based on how he did with the Jets last year, given that he would be playing with largely the same group of players in the same system. No, for purposes of determining which middling QB I'm going with, I don't give a rat's ass about how he did with Buffalo, or Houston, or whomever. We're not assessing whether he's going to grow to become a franchise QB. That ship sailed about six years ago. We're trying to assess if he's the best alternative among the choices we actually have. For this coming year, he makes the most sense. That's all I'm saying. Would I like to have him for under $7 million -- of course, I would. He will get more than he's worth because the Jets want to move forward and prepare for the season, not be stalemated. It's a bargaining chip on his part, given that they obviously DO NOT WANT Geno to start. If it was fifty-fifty, we wouldn't even be having this conversation. They obviously have little desire to put the team on Geno's shoulders.

Im a little more scientific...1 year out of 10 does NOT a great QB make.   I think FITZ is a below average QB who had a good year. NO MORE than that.  His entire record 

and career supports my view.  No credence can be placed on one year unless you are Tannenbaum spending someone elses money.

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

1. Just like Geno should change him name to "give a fair chance with talent around him see what we got?"

2. There are no excuses for Fitz.  Wouldn't it be great if Geno fans would hold their preferred guy to the same standard?  Excuses are all Geno fans have to support their preference, and some are already making pre-emptive excuses for why he won't do so well in 2016.

3. It's Geno or Fitz.  Of course we will compare one vs. the other, they're the only two options!

I think you're way too concerned with what geno smith fans think but okay. It may be a 2 party system but I'm holding out hope that one of the kids wins the job outright in camp. I'll come to terms with a geno or fitz season when I have to

7 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

Here's an example of what the rest of the football world thinks about our QB situation, sans Fitz. Pay attention to those last two sentences:

Enough of one that Rotoworld ranked their quarterback depth chart the weakest in the NFL.

Here is their reasoning:

Ryan Fitzpatrick was the Jets’ best quarterback since Chad Pennington. So naturally they’re playing hardball with him, making him toil for a lowball offer. If the Ivy League-educated Fitz decides to cut his losses and move on with his life — there have been reports that he is willing to retire — Gang Green will have a Three Stooges episode where their quarterback room is supposed to be. Geno Smith has a career 72.3 QB rating. Christian Hackenberg hasn’t been good since he was a freshman in college. Bryce Petty is just now learning what an “under” coverage is from Madden. Fitzpatrick, of course, is no one’s idea of a franchise player, but he’s Joe Montana compared to the trio left in his wake. The Jets will vie for a Wild Card spot if they bring back Fitz. They’ll compete for the No. 1 overall pick if they don’t.

Can't argue with this.  Fitz at least gives us a professional presence behind center.

I don't need to see what Geno can do with this group when the sun is out or when he has French toast for breakfast on game day or any other scenario that JIF might come up. 

12 minutes ago, cant wait said:

I think you're way too concerned with what geno smith fans think but okay. It may be a 2 party system but I'm holding out hope that one of the kids wins the job outright in camp. I'll come to terms with a geno or fitz season when I have to

If Fitz somehow doesn't come back Geno is our best qb.  That is bottom line.

10 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

Geno Smith is not an option. The problem with him is that he gets you 3-6 wins, probable mutiny in the lockerroom, and that gets your HC and GM fired, or on the very hot seat.

We need to create a winning culture and give the current regime time to develop the young players, including Petty and Hackenberg. Start Fitz, hope for 8-11 wins, then start one of the young QB's in 2017.

That is the front office's plan, and it is the correct one. 

Lol Geno won 8 games his first season with no weapons. Fitz squeaked out 10 with a good WR corps and the weakest schedule ever. Your statement is nonsemse.

8 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

Here's an example of what the rest of the football world thinks about our QB situation, sans Fitz. Pay attention to those last two sentences:

Enough of one that Rotoworld ranked their quarterback depth chart the weakest in the NFL.

Here is their reasoning:

Ryan Fitzpatrick was the Jets’ best quarterback since Chad Pennington. So naturally they’re playing hardball with him, making him toil for a lowball offer. If the Ivy League-educated Fitz decides to cut his losses and move on with his life — there have been reports that he is willing to retire — Gang Green will have a Three Stooges episode where their quarterback room is supposed to be. Geno Smith has a career 72.3 QB rating. Christian Hackenberg hasn’t been good since he was a freshman in college. Bryce Petty is just now learning what an “under” coverage is from Madden. Fitzpatrick, of course, is no one’s idea of a franchise player, but he’s Joe Montana compared to the trio left in his wake. The Jets will vie for a Wild Card spot if they bring back Fitz. They’ll compete for the No. 1 overall pick if they don’t.

8 hours ago, jetrider said:

403544_903888563129_467392380_n.jpg

D34E5CC6-63B9-417E-BDC2-06334638E1F1_zps

lol. 

53 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

It's not our fault the Eagles, Texans and Browns gave lesser players asinine contracts this offseason.  If Fitz does not like what is a more than reasonable offer then let's go to war with Geno.

Like bringing a butter knife to a gun fight

27 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Lol Geno won 8 games his first season with no weapons. Fitz squeaked out 10 with a good WR corps and the weakest schedule ever. Your statement is nonsemse.

How the hell do you give Geno any credit for those 8 wins while completely discrediting Fitzpatrick last year, and have a straight face?

Or shack a punt in a win and in game, putting the opposition in a very short field situation that leads to 7 points.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If we would even be as low as 5-11, I agree. See, with this schedule there are enough favorable matchups to have a floor of 5 games. Just because there are enough killer matchups that I think 10 wins is unlikely and the chance at 11+ wins almost negligible, doesn't therefore mean there are 12-13 killer matchups that will land us a 3-4 win season either. This defense alone could carry 4-5 wins if we put an unready Bryce Petty out there (long-term wisdom of doing so aside).

Basically I think we're stuck in a 6-9 win area no matter who we trot out there. Our good D and schedule are enough to get us to that floor, but Fitz and the schedule aren't enough to raise it more than that. There are just too many good teams and he's too lousy against such opponents.

If the schedule was filled with 14 should-be wins again, then sure, go for it if the FO thinks he gets us over that hump. Of course that was the situation a year ago and it didn't happen then, so... 

The reason a Fitzpatrick-less season would be so intolerable isn't the final record; it'll be the Fitz-religious converts told-you-so'ing every turnover and every loss and, with neither proof nor merit, assigning each as a woulda-been TD or win if only we'd had the wisdom to re-sign Ryan Fitzpatrick. It's half the reason I want him back at $7M (preferably less). I can't listen to that all season long, as well as for the next upcoming years, which is surely what would happen. 

What really sucked about last year was that he waited until the last minute to revert to form .   That was cruel.  The Old Fitz would have been more predictable and provided less stressful watching.  I should take him back at the Jet price only.  I really feel he is as likely to get hurt as anything else.  He has no sense.  He tore up the thumb last year.  In my opinion, one of the other guys finishes this season at QB.

7 minutes ago, jack48 said:

What really sucked about last year was that he waited until the last minute to revert to form .   That was cruel.  The Old Fitz would have been more predictable and provided less stressful watching.  I should take him back at the Jet price only.  I really feel he is as likely to get hurt as anything else.  He has no sense.  He tore up the thumb last year.  In my opinion, one of the other guys finishes this season at QB.

Part of the "no sense" is what makes him a leader, in my eyes. Guys respect other guys who will disregard their own safety to win the damn game. That fires guys up and gets them fighting alongside you. The team asks linemen and defense and WRs and RBs to risk career ending injuries to make plays ... yet do their utmost to protect the QB. If the QB shows he's willing to share those same risks, it gains him the respect of his team mates.

Not saying other QBs on the team don't do that, but Fitz's recklessness at times last year had positive outcomes, as well as the obvious negative (the thumb injury).

2 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Part of the "no sense" is what makes him a leader, in my eyes. Guys respect other guys who will disregard their own safety to win the damn game. That fires guys up and gets them fighting alongside you. The team asks linemen and defense and WRs and RBs to risk career ending injuries to make plays ... yet do their utmost to protect the QB. If the QB shows he's willing to share those same risks, it gains him the respect of his team mates.

Not saying other QBs on the team don't do that, but Fitz's recklessness at times last year had positive outcomes, as well as the obvious negative (the thumb injury).

that could be true. I m just making an injury prediction, though

2 minutes ago, jack48 said:

that could be true. I m just making an injury prediction, though

Understood. I just hope you're wrong. :-) 

Either that, or Fitz is Bledsoe and Petty / Hack is Brady in that scenario ... ;-) 

15 hours ago, BowlesMovement said:

I don't believe the $11mil one bit as a guaranteed salary. Maybe 7 + 4 as a playoff incentive, but not 11.

Fans can go into the season and think this is a 4-6 win team without him and say a 6-8 team with him, but I really don't think HC's and GM's can do that. I tend to agree that is likely what we are looking at, but we are fans.

I would be shocked if he gets 11mil guaranteed salary for this year, absolutely shocked, but crazier things I guess have happened.

This is kind of my point. Doesn't change the wisdom of the moves, though.

If we re-sign Fitz and do finish between 6-8 wins, it will have been an enormous waste of both learning more of the potential future QBs we've got, it will waste 2017 cap room, and quite possibly cause us to draft yet another QB higher too highly or not highly enough than we otherwise would have if they could be seen in more than practice. Some younger guys are practice warriors; others are practice mehs who come alive when it counts, where they're going up against other teams who don't yet know their truly biggest inexperience weaknesses.

As a result of starting Fitz all season long again, we may find ourselves drafting another 3rd-5th round QB this year. Had the better of Hackenberg/Petty been given a true chance to see the field, that perhaps should have been our 1st round pick or no selection at all (opting instead for a cheap Hoyer-ish guy to be the #2 or push the other backup). 

Archived