Jets Offer to Fitz at $11 million?

JetNation

Ryan Fitzpatrick

By Glenn Naughton

At this point, we’re all too familiar with the seemingly never-ending contract impasse between the New York Jets and free agent quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick.

As one would expect, neither side has publicly discussed the terms of the deal in regards to what the team is offering, or what Fitzpatrick is demanding.  Even if you log on to the forums at JetNation.com to read and discuss hundreds of pages of fan speculation, it sounds as if somebody may have let the cat out of the bag today according to Pat Kirwin of Sirius XM NFL radio.

During his afternoon drive-time show, “Movin’ the Chains”, Kirwin and co-host Jim Miller discussed Fitzpatrick’s contract talks, saying at one point “I spoke to a player (about the contract) today, and the number he used a couple of times was $11 million and he said it like he knew that was the number”.

If accurate, that would top previous reports that initially had the Jets offering Fitzpatrick somewhere in the neighborhood of $7.5 million, before Rich Cimini of ESPN New York reported that the Jets offer has in fact topped that threshold.  If the Jet’s offer were to gradually increase, it shouldn’t come as much of a surprise as GM Mike Maccagnan said just weeks ago that the two sides would have to find a way to “find middle ground” in order to come to terms.

Without Fitzpatrick under contract, Geno Smith is the most experienced starter on New York’s roster, with second-year project Bryce Petty and this year’s second-round draft choice, Christian Hackenberg on the depth chart.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
Vmz8BFS3F6w

Click here to read the full story...

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the offer is $11 million and he turns it down, then I say thanks for the solid season to Fitz, and it's time for a Petty/Hack/Geno competition, or a deal for Mike Glennon.

Just now, varjet said:

If that is the offer, i give him to Memorial Day to sign it or withdraw it.

Eh, I get the frustration, but why pull the offer with that much time left?  I hope they get it done before July (which was Decker's prediction the other day), but no harm in letting it sit there until training camp.  Doesn't hurt the Jets of Fitz IMO.

Just now, AFJF said:

If the offer is $11 million and he turns it down, then I say thanks for the solid season to Fitz, and it's time for a Petty/Hack/Geno competition, or a deal for Mike Glennon.

Yep, your probably right.  Fitz will be back.

I'm really surprised if this is true.    Of course that 11 M could be largly tied up in incentives like play off appearances, all kinds of stuff can be put in there

2 minutes ago, flgreen said:

I'm really surprised if this is true.    Of course that 11 M could be largly tied up in incentives like play off appearances, all kinds of stuff can be put in there

Possible, but if he's talking to a player, I'd expect them to discuss the guaranteed money because that's what really matters.  We'll see.

3 hours ago, flgreen said:

Screw paying a QB add another 6 million to the 11 and you could sign Fast Track Mo.:P

If the Fitz haters really wanted to get mad then sign Fitz for the 11 per and then raise ticket prices. But don't get bent out of shape. It's just a rumor and more rumors say the opposite. That the Jets aren't offering that much which I know makes you happy?.

1 minute ago, Larz said:

no names, no quotes

with that said its hard to believe they can't close the gap, $11 is pretty pretty pretty good

this! plus the article states that 11m was used from a player. was that the offer from the jets or was that what fitz is asking for?

If we're going to speculate then a one year deal for 11 mil isn't that bad for the Jets. They don't want to give him a lot of guaranteed money and probably think he only has a good year or two left. I would think that Fitz wants at least a 2nd year and would maybe take less money per year if he can get two. LIke 2/20.Who knows but you have to give Fitz and the Jets credit. There are no bonafide leaks on this. I mean everyone is guessing on this. That's good. 

2 minutes ago, ylekram said:

this! plus the article states that 11m was used from a player. was that the offer from the jets or was that what fitz is asking for?

He suggested it was the offer from the Jets to Fitz.

Some folks expect Fitz to take far less money than his production warrants, but for me, personally, $11 million is the ceiling.  

Somewhat excited to see what Hack and Petty can do under Gailey anyway.

Fitz is slowly coming around to make it work and ignore other QB's deals.

Fitzpatrick told SiriusXM NFL Radio that he still wants to be the Jets’ quarterback this season, even though he’s currently a free agent.

“I had a great time with the guys last year and I want to continue doing this. I’m still preparing for the season,” Fitzpatrick said. “It’s been a process and the good thing about it is the discussions have been behind closed doors.”

Fitzpatrick seems to realize that he’s going to have to settle for less money than quarterbacks who didn’t play as well as him last year — like Brock Osweiler and Sam Bradford — have received.

“You would drive yourself crazy looking at other contracts around the league,” Fitzpatrick said.

Fitzpatrick, coming off a career year for the Jets, outperformed fellow quarterbacks Brock Osweiler and Sam Bradford, but those two received deals from the Houston Texans and Philadelphia Eagles that average $18 million and $17.5 million a year, respectively.

Fitzpatrick believes those contracts have no bearing on his value.

"I think earlier in my career, I think that's something you fall into as a player," he later told SiriusXM NFL radio. "Right now, no. I understand the market and I understand those guys. I'm happy for them, what they got.

"I know my value to a team is my value to a particular team. You'd drive yourself crazy if you look at other guys and say, 'Why not me? Why not me?'"

"It was probably my best season last year in terms of how much fun I had with the guys, out there every Sunday," he told SiriusXM. "It's something I still really enjoy doing, it's something I want to continue to do."

Without Fitzpatrick on the roster, the No. 1 quarterback is former starter Geno Smith, followed by Hackenberg and Bryce Petty.

7 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Guaranteed $ is all that matters. There's no way that the Jets would offer $11 million fully guaranteed. $6-$7 million guaranteed, with performance escalators that could potentially equal $11 million would get this done IMO. 

As I've said all along, it's all 100% speculation at this point, but I find it odd that after weeks of talk of $7.5 million, Cimini gets a scoop that the offer exceeds that. This, while Mac says they have to find "middle ground".  It may not be what some folks want to hear, but that term generally means both sides move a bit from where they are. Had he said "we're comfortable with our offer" then I'd say this is BS, but we don't know, and his own words suggested there was room for movement.

Also, Kirwan's not trying to get clicks and he wasn't making a huge deal out of it.  He almost said it in passing...just said he spoke to a guy who threw that number out a couple of times in conversation as if that were the actual number.

28 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Eh, I get the frustration, but why pull the offer with that much time left?  I hope they get it done before July (which was Decker's prediction the other day), but no harm in letting it sit there until training camp.  Doesn't hurt the Jets of Fitz IMO.

We have a new Olineman in Clady, a new RB in Forte , a virtually new TE  since Fitz was injured when Amaro practiced last year and potentially a new starter who will take Devin Smith's 3rd/4th Wr role early in the season. Yes so no reason to have your projected QB in all available practices , OTA's etc... 

Fitz knows the offense but the new players need to mesh with the starting offensive unit, which is why I have no problem with Geno taking the reigns, since he's been there since day 1 this offseason. 

Just now, 56mehl56 said:

We have a new Olineman in Clady, a new RB in Forte , a virtually new TE  since Fitz was injured when Amaro practiced last year and potentially a new starter who will take Devin Smith's 3rd/4th Wr role early in the season. Yes so no reason to have your projected QB in all available practices , OTA's etc... 

Fitz knows the offense but the new players need to mesh with the starting offensive unit, which is why I have no problem with Geno taking the reigns, since he's been there since day 1 this offseason. 

Meh, he had entirely new everything last season and he did alright, and that was with missing time while he recovered from a broken leg.  In a perfect world he'd be back tomorrow, but I wouldn't' panic all that much if he misses some time.

EDIT: In a perfect world, we'd have Russell Wilson or Andrew Luck at QB, but I think you get what I'm saying.

Just now, AFJF said:

Meh, he had entirely new everything last season and he did alright, and that was with missing time while he recovered from a broken leg.  In a perfect world he'd be back tomorrow, but I wouldn't' panic all that much if he misses some time.

EDIT: In a perfect world, we'd have Russell Wilson or Andrew Luck at QB, but I think you get what I'm saying.

Nice edit.  Was about to say you have some low standards.

1 minute ago, mphtrilogy said:

I think we are getting close to a resolution.. Chatter picking up..

Could be right.  Fitz didn't say a word before today and workouts start next week.  Time to get a deal done so he can hold the fort and mentor the kids.

1 minute ago, Mike135 said:

Well, if true, what would happen next?  Word of contract restructures and/or withdrawing Wilk's tag?  Or just jump to a deal announcement with Fitz and handle gutting the team later?

Kirwan addressed that too.  He said Jets can't afford Fitz at $3 million right now, but his opinion was that Mac is smart and will be able to figure it out.  I agree.

Archived