Jets Offer to Fitz at $11 million?

JetNation

57 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

If that's the offer I say fire Macc, and I'll see you guys in 2017.

I know the feeling. I wouldnt mean literal (I do like Macc), but the feeling would most definitely be there if this is the case. 

F'ing absurd. 

When I started reading this I felt like this was just "click bait", but knowing this team man....

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Kirwan addressed that too.  He said Jets can't afford Fitz at $3 million right now, but his opinion was that Mac is smart and will be able to figure it out.  I agree.

Well Mac better be a genius.  Cause as of now it would seem 11mil just on a one year deal really hurts the cap in 2017, or we're dumping Wilk.

5 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Kirwan addressed that too.  He said Jets can't afford Fitz at $3 million right now, but his opinion was that Mac is smart and will be able to figure it out.  I agree.

Tanny was smart too plus a cap guy to boot and he led us into cap hell with idiotic contracts. Giving Fitz anything more than 6-7M would be ludicrous.  

2 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Tanny was smart too plus a cap guy to boot and he led us into cap hell with idiotic contracts. Giving Fitz anything more than 6-7M would be ludicrous.  

I think he meant smart enough to not screw up the team like Tanny did, but he didn't use those exact words so I can't say for sure.

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

If the offer is $11 million and he turns it down, then I say thanks for the solid season to Fitz, and it's time for a Petty/Hack/Geno competition, or a deal for Mike Glennon.

I agree I want Fitz in here but if it is in fact 11 mil and he turns it down it would be silly. At that point I think the battle should be between Petty and Hack I don't want to see Geno again.

Once again this is all speculation and maybe the player was saying its going to take 11 mil to get it done so that might NOT have been the current offer on the table. If it does go to 11 mil you have to give Fitz credit for holding tough in the negotiations.

1 minute ago, Smashmouth said:

I agree I want Fitz in here but if it is in fact 11 mil and he turns it down it would be silly. At that point I think the battle should be between Petty and Hack I don't want to see Geno again.

Once again this is all speculation and maybe the player was saying its going to take 11 mil to get it done so that might NOT have been the current offer on the table. If it does go to 11 mil you have to give Fitz credit for holding tough in the negotiations.

I want the best guy to win.  If it's Geno, I'll be absolutely floored, but if that's what it is, that's what it is.  

5 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I know the feeling. I wouldnt mean literal (I do like Macc), but the feeling would most definitely be there if this is the case. 

F'ing absurd. 

When I started reading this I felt like this was just "click bait", but knowing this team man....

It could be worse we could be starting Geno

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

If it was 11 million and he is already a Jet.  This is crap.

Maybe they're close?  Odd that Fitz stayed mum until now, then with OTA's coming up he suddenly wants to tell everyone he's not upset that he won't be getting Osweiller money?  Hopefully he's signed by Thursday so I can celebrate over the long weekend.

2 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

That's like giving the hostage taker who is surrounded by cops and has a gun to your head credit because he chose to shoot you and then get shot by the cops credit.

While I'm lying there with a hole through my head, sure I may be thinking, well at least he didn't give in.  Good for him!

10 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Well Mac better be a genius.  Cause as of now it would seem 11mil just on a one year deal really hurts the cap in 2017, or we're dumping Wilk.

I believe Jason from JetsCap posited that the Jets could do it by restructuring Buster Skrine and Eric Decker.

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

Coming from the guy who criticized Cam Newton last year on his way to an MVP season. 

I'll pass on your QB thoughts. 

At the time Newton was not doing anything special at all and you know it. So stop dragging other arguments into this since I later stated in that thread Cam turned up his game and deserved consideration

Just now, T0mShane said:

I believe Jason from JetsCap posited that the Jets could do it by restructuring Buster Skrine and Eric Decker.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but "restructure" basically means push cap hits to upcoming years.  It doesn't matter if it's one player or ten.  It's the amount being cleared/pushed that matters.

5 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

I tend to agree

This is one of those contracts that really won't be what it appears to be. I don't see the Jets paying a guaranteed 11 million. I'm imagining the contract can be worth up to 11 million if certain incentives are hit & I'm sure some of the incentives are that he REMAINS the starting QB for the entire year barring injury. Because if we come out poorly and are at 1-5 after 6 it's time to move on.

1 minute ago, Mike135 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but "restructure" basically means push cap hits to upcoming years.  It doesn't matter if it's one player or ten.  It's the amount being cleared/pushed that matters.

You are correct.

We went from being so flush with cap room to so cap poor so quickly, and have nothing to show for it except getting into an 8-figure/year money stare down with Ryan frickin Fitzpatrick. 

5 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Yes, and iirc Jason's logic was that Skrine and Decker are the only high-salary guys whose ages make it reasonable to defer their paydays.

7 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

There are many ways it's possible to do it. That doesn't mean it should be done. 

I think it's a terrible move to bring him back at all, and I'd imagine Maccagnan is probably a little bummed that no one "stole" Fitzpatrick from them a month ago. 

Just now, T0mShane said:

Yes, and iirc Jason's logic was that Skrine and Decker are the only high-salary guys whose ages make it reasonable to defer their paydays.

In which case, yeah of course Macc could easily "free up" the space for Fitz.  Could probably easily free up more.  But we're screwing ourselves for Ryan Fitzpatrick.  

For years to come this board will be looking back on the deal saying it was idiotic.  We were able to go a respectable 7-9 or 9-7 w/Fitz in 2016, whoopie!  But now (2017/18) we can't afford to sign FAs or keep homegrown talent.

6 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

In which case, yeah of course Macc could easily "free up" the space for Fitz.  Could probably easily free up more.  But we're screwing ourselves for Ryan Fitzpatrick.  

For years to come this board will be looking back on the deal saying it was idiotic.  We were able to go a respectable 7-9 or 9-7 w/Fitz in 2016, whoopie!  But now (2017/18) we can't afford to sign FAs or keep homegrown talent.

Totally agree. If they sign Fitz and go 8-8 again, what was gained? If they do it, they better hope that hiding Petty and Hackenberg pays off in 2017 or the whole regime is in limbo. I wish I had more faith in the Hackenberg pick here, but I just don't think he's any good.

I know revenge is sweet. But trying to get a guy back via his salary and ranting about it angrily (and hoping he gets less) for two months is kind of lame don't you think. I wonder how much you guys are overcharging your bosses or customers for your services. 

Just now, Rangers9 said:

I know revenge is sweet. But trying to get a guy back via his salary and ranting about it angrily (and hoping he gets less) for two months is kind of lame don't you think. I wonder how much you guys are overcharging your bosses or customers for your services. 

My clients don't have salary caps.  B)

6 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I acknowledge my poor work performance and history of costing my company more revenue than I produce and I'm paid accordingly.

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I acknowledge my poor work performance and history of costing my company more revenue than I produce and I'm paid accordingly.

garb and captain Jone are holding out for $11M!!!  The right play is to tank for Watson, as much as I despise Clemsoning, watson is the real deal cant miss franchise stud QB

20 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

They wouldn't be screwing themselves. Also, what homegrown talent can they not keep coming off the books next season? Dee Milliner? The Jets problem is they overpaid Revis, Harris, Skrine, Breno, etc and aren't getting the return on investment from a lot of them. Wilk at 16 is a bad investment. A starting QB at 11 million dollars is a drop in the bucket, comparably. They're overpaying at less than premium positions. 

Just a reminder, OverTheCap has us with 3mil free w/o signing Lee yet.  Figure he'll run what 2.5?

Then factor in an in-season emergency fund of?.. 4.5 maybe?  So we're actually currently 4mil in the red.

Add 11mil to that for Fitz and that means pushing off 15mil or so to 2017 and beyond.

45 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

That's like giving the hostage taker who is surrounded by cops and has a gun to your head credit because he chose to shoot you and then get shot by the cops credit.

While I'm lying there with a hole through my head, sure I may be thinking, well at least he didn't give in.  Good for him!

remember today when I liked you post and said it was a good one? well, this is a bad one

Archived