Jets Offer to Fitz at $11 million?

JetNation

43 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but "restructure" basically means push cap hits to upcoming years.  It doesn't matter if it's one player or ten.  It's the amount being cleared/pushed that matters.

yea, basically with 3m in cap space available you have 2 options. cut/trade someone or restructure and push money to the future

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

They wouldn't be screwing themselves. Also, what homegrown talent can they not keep coming off the books next season? Dee Milliner? The Jets problem is they overpaid Revis, Harris, Skrine, Breno, etc and aren't getting the return on investment from a lot of them. Wilk at 16 is a bad investment. A starting QB at 11 million dollars is a drop in the bucket, comparably. They're overpaying at less than premium positions. 

11mil for a starting QB is great.  If one is available, sign me up for that.

But I disagree on Revis, Harris, Skrine and Wilk.  

Wilk would be getting more per season on a long term deal.  

Revis is the man.  He was beat up a bit.  It'll take another "down" year to make me worry about him.

Harris is our defensive QB.  Sure he's not fast but he's still darn good.

Skrine is a good CB too.  Good players cost money.

Homegrown talent to worry about?  Wilk and Sheldon for starters.  And of course Geno. :D

3 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

This is probably true, but what I dont think Jason from JetsCap is taking into consideration is that

#1. The NFL is a business. Teams that are able to restructure guys in such a fashion are teams like the Patriots who players play for because they know they have a legit chance every year to win a championship. You go to the patriots knowing that you may be asked to restructure. And you're certainly not going to break the bank up there, just ask Logan Mankins. 

#2. Buster Skrine just last year signed a 4 year 25 million dollar deal. However, he already did the Jets a favor last year by backloading his contract. His contract broken down evenly is 6.25 Million per over 4 years, however, Skrine only got 2.75 million last season. I wouldnt be so confident in thinking that Buster Skrine would be so willing to restructure his contract after already backloading it to now make way for a guy who in all honesty already receive a "pay day" in his prime. This is Skrine's time, why would he want to restructure his payday for a guy looking for a 2nd payday? 

A restructure changes base salary to bonus money. That means the player gets it immediately. Why would they not want to do it? 

2 minutes ago, ylekram said:

yea, basically with 3m in cap space available you have 2 options. cut/trade someone or restructure and push money to the future

Option 3, play the equally poor QB option already under contract. 

3 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Option 3, play the equally poor QB option already under contract. 

I get that you don't like fitz and don't like geno.. one is better than the other. period. I get your point that fitz might not be 10m better than geno, but still, dollars be damned, you have got to see this?

4 minutes ago, ylekram said:

remember today when I liked you post and said it was a good one? well, this is a bad one

Be nice to Mike. He perpetuated a lot of this madness with his crazy poll. Geno Smith. Loved by the fans. Oy veh!:o

4 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Can't even take him seriously turning down $11MM. First off, $11MM is overpaying him...and he turns it down?? LOL I can't.

lets see what actually happens before you decide not to take him seriously

7 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

A restructure changes base salary to bonus money. That means the player gets it immediately. Why would they not want to do it? 

Villain raises a good point.  Since Skrine accepted less his first year, he's now gotta get like 22mil over the next 3 years.  He's scheduled to get over 7 per.  

I'm not really sure there's much you can do with that.  And even if you could, would you want to?  Maybe his hit could be lowered again this season, but that would mean Skrine counts as 9 or 10mil against the cap in 2018 and 2019?

Just now, Mike135 said:

Villain raises a good point.  Since Skrine accepted less his first year, he's now gotta get like 22mil over the next 3 years.  He's scheduled to get over 7 per.  

I'm not really sure there's much you can do with that.  And even if you could, would you want to?  Maybe his hit could be lowered again this season, but that would mean Skrine counts as 9 or 10mil against the cap in 2018 and 2019?

I'd cut Skrine tomorrow if I could, but that's neither here nor there. 

6 minutes ago, ylekram said:

I get that you don't like fitz and don't like geno.. one is better than the other. period. I get your point that fitz might not be 10m better than geno, but still, dollars be damned, you have got to see this?

I don't see this, when looking at both players full body of work I'll take my chances with Geno at equal money never mind 10 million more.

9 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Be nice to Mike. He perpetuated a lot of this madness with his crazy poll. Geno Smith. Loved by the fans. Oy veh!:o

8 minutes ago, ylekram said:

I like mike. he just needs guidance.

Ok, I know you're thinking it, so I'll just post it.  Catchy tune.

7 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

A guy like Skrine for 6mil per isn't bad.  Imo anyways.  It's when these restructures happen that the eventual 7,8,9mil+ hits seem nuts.

30 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

19 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

17 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Actually you're right Carl. I did get that wrong, perspective wise. 

Skrine receives the money up front as a bonus, which will create cap room this year. however, that money must still be accounted for...it isnt free. What the restructure will do is basically guarantee Buster Skrine a roster spot on the team for the duration of his contract, basically guaranteeing the contract in a sense (this is where I went wrong. Im thinking for the season...not the contract). Reason being is that the "bonus money" will then be spread out evenly over the cap the for the duration of his contract (whatever than converted bonus is), and Macc hands will be tied and cant cut him because if he does that bonus money that was spread throughout the duration of the contract will convert to an immediate cap hit in its entirety during the year you cut him. 

So for Skrine it would be great because in a way it guarantees him a roster spot, which guarantees the contract given that teams dont want to take such a cap hit, the downside is that this method is a bandaid. It'll work this year, but then you'll have to pay for renting Fitz for one season during the 2017 and 2018 seasons while at the same time guaranteeing a roster spot for Skine and anyone else Macc decides to restructure. 

You were 100% right on that Carl. Thats my might fault. I stand corrected. With that said though, Thats not a good look for the Jets contractually. 

7 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

I don't see this, when looking at both players full body of work I'll take my chances with Geno at equal money never mind 10 million more.

why would you compare full bodys of work? if the raiders did that, they wouldnt have gotten an mvp season out of rich gannon. why does it matter what fitz did in st louis or buffalo? it matters what he did for the jets in 2015. fitz played mostly well last year. that's what counts,imo. lets be clear here. I do want fitz back on a short year deal. I would like the money to be as little as possible. if fitz works out. great. if he doesn't, who cares? short year deals don't cripple your team

1 minute ago, ylekram said:

I just cant picture you being a 6' 6" guy dunking from the foul line

Ha, adjustable rim to 9' and halfway passed the foul line as a teenager maybe.

Now? 6' and a really out of shape 230lbs?  Um, more like 8.5' rim standing right underneath.  (But I'd probably still hurt myself somehow.)

1 minute ago, Mike135 said:

Ha, adjustable rim to 9' and halfway passed the foul line as a teenager maybe.

Now? 6' and a really out of shape 230lbs?  Um, more like 8.5' rim standing right underneath.  (But I'd probably still hurt myself somehow.)

when I was a kid, I could dunk a volley ball. now, I don't think I could touch the net..and limp off afterwards

4 minutes ago, ylekram said:

when I was a kid, I could dunk a volley ball. now, I don't think I could touch the net..and limp off afterwards

Nice.  Don't think I ever got a basketball or volleyball for that matter.  Had to use one of those mini-basketballs.

Was limited by small hands.  And no, not Trump's small "hands".

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Maybe they're close?  Odd that Fitz stayed mum until now, then with OTA's coming up he suddenly wants to tell everyone he's not upset that he won't be getting Osweiller money?  Hopefully he's signed by Thursday so I can celebrate over the long weekend.

We need to wait until June 1st to cut Breno, and it makes a difference in renegotiations. June 1st is the end of the league year. 

God that would be pure madness by the Jets. He is not worth that on any level. He's not worth $5M. Don't lose players or future cap for a JAG one year rentsl. Hell, if the Jets can free that, give it to Mo as part of a $27 million signing bonus. We could have better future cap with Mo than renting this guy fir another year

1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

God that would be pure madness by the Jets. He is not worth that on any level. He's not worth $5M. Don't lose players or future cap for a JAG one year rentsl. Hell, if the Jets can free that, give it to Mo as part of a $27 million signing bonus. We could have better future cap with Mo than renting this guy fir another year

johnny, I don't think mo is in the jets long term plans

Just now, NYs Stepchild said:

We need to wait until June 1st to cut Breno, and it makes a difference in renegotiations. June 1st is the end of the league year. 

There could actually a couple of reasons why they've dragged it out for this long.  You mention the June 1st date, but this could also be a situation where both sides know they're okay with what's on the table, but the Jets want to take a look at the other QB's in camp on a more extensive basis.  Tell Fitz to stay home while they see how Geno and Bryce have progressed, for example.

Wasn't it Carton a couple months ago who said somebody floated the possibility of a deal being in place with the Jets just waiting to make some moves?

Fitz to the Jets makes too much sense for it not to happen and they've had enough time to agree to the dollar amount.

Both parties know Fitz is here for two more years at the MOST, so it's not like they should be haggling over contract length, although they could be trying to meet on how much money is guaranteed over those two years.

Can't see it not happening and I've said $11 mil is as high as I'd go (although I think I said $13 mil at one point, that lasted about 20 minutes until I re-thought it), so hopefully they're not going beyond that.

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If true, holy stupidity, Batman. Offer $11M to a player nobody else has interest in at half that amount (if even that much). Ah, the life of a Jets fan.

Exactly hate like to hell to say but the SAME OLD JETS nonsense continues.................

8 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Exactly hate like to hell to say but the SAME OLD JETS nonsense continues.................

Is it them just trying to appease fans?  Or do you think Macc n Bowles actually think a guy who's never made the playoffs in 11 years (and failed miserably week 17) will all of a sudden change his stripes?

Edit:  I'm not sure which is worse.

9 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Is it them just trying to appease fans?  Or do you think Macc n Bowles actually think a guy who's never made the playoffs in 11 years (and failed miserably week 17) will all of a sudden change his stripes?

Who knows Fitzpatrick had a great season in 2015 no doubt if he's back he's back I will support him 110% who knows what the hell is going on with this tram they have had me confused my entire life. 

16 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Could all be worthless radio babble. $11M has been tossed around on blogs everywhere.

Why would another player blurt dollar amounts to the media about another player's undone deal that's being kept under wraps? 

6 minutes ago, jetrider said:

Could all be worthless radio babble. $11M has been tossed around on blogs everywhere.

Why would another player blurt dollar amounts to the media about another player's undone deal that's being kept under wraps? 

Good call.  I'll have less Fitz mediocrity nightmares tonight.  Thanks.

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

There are many ways it's possible to do it. That doesn't mean it should be done. 

yeah but its probably going to get done and the funny thing is the only place/people who think it should not be done are here at JN.

3 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

yeah but its probably going to get done and the funny thing is the only place/people who think it should not be done are here at JN.

Fitz wants to come back.  Macc has said he's top priority.  Bowles has said he's the starter.

He'll be back.

4 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

What other boards are ya checking on?  I'll happily join and start some polls.

Archived