Not counting Namath, my 5 favorite Jets as a kid

Sarge4Tide

11 hours ago, Jethead said:

Hands down, Freeman is my all-time favorite Jets RB. He was epic on many occasions. Curtis is close second for me. Both were great Jets.

If you put Curtis' durability in Freeman's body, what a player.

21 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

My favorite Jets when I was a Kid:

1- Mark Gastineau

2- Wesley Walker

3-  Ken O'brien

3- Freeman Mcneil

4- Johnny Hector

Honorable mention:

Jeff Lageman

Al Toon

Mickey Shuler

Surprised Gastineau was not in more of these lists (as a kid), could easily list the entire Sack Exchange - Klecko, Lyons, Salaam - fun times until that game in Cleveland

On 5/26/2016 at 11:04 AM, Bachelors3 said:

All good players but I cannot get over Todd throwing all the interceptions in the Mud Bowl.

My top five are:

5. Winston Hill

4. John Elliot

3. Jerry Philbin

2. Don Maynard

1. John Riggins (my all time favorite Jet after Joe).

2001-topps-archives-reprint-john-riggins

cheers ~ ~

:beer:

3 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Surprised Gastineau was not in more of these lists (as a kid), could easily list the entire Sack Exchange - Klecko, Lyons, Salaam - fun times until that game in Cleveland

I was surprised as well.  As a kid,  how could you not love him?  He was a big time playmaker and the sack dance was epic. The only reason for him being off so many lists may have to do with the "sack dance" penalty against the Browns. 

On 5/26/2016 at 9:07 AM, Sarge4Tide said:

5 - Clark Gaines 

4 - Jerome Barkum

3 - Emerson Boozer 

2 - Richard Caster - from my hometown, Mobile,  AL, just always seemed "cool", made some big plays 

1 - Richard Todd - from my hometown,  played at Bama 

The 1.   Bl8WubZIcAA9SyD.jpg:medium

cheers ~ ~ 

:beer:

My Dad introduced me to John Schmitt when I was about 8 or 9.  Shook my hand and took the time to talk with me and learn a bit about me.  Will never forget it... 

Others in my top 5 would be:  E Boozer, George Sauer, Verlon Biggs and Gerry Philbin

On May 27, 2016 at 0:35 PM, Warfish said:

As an 80's Era guy, it was Kenny O, Al Toon (my all time fav), Walker, Shuler, McNeil.  

Was also first starting to really get into the team around this time ... Still didn't truly appreciate any do the dirty work types ... Thought the flashy was where it's at ... So - Walker, Toon, Freeman, Gastineau, Klecko

10 hours ago, ljr said:

Was also first starting to really get into the team around this time ... Still didn't truly appreciate any do the dirty work types ... Thought the flashy was where it's at ... So - Walker, Toon, Freeman, Gastineau, Klecko

I think deep down, in places we don't talk about at dinner parties, (movie line) if we watched the Jets in the 80s, until he left the reservation, we all LOVED Gastineau.  HE made us relevant.   The Kosar hit and his behavior at the end taints our memories but let's not forget what a presence he was. So I applaud your choice.  

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

I think deep down, in places we don't talk about at dinner parties, (movie line) if we watched the Jets in the 80s, until he left the reservation, we all LOVED Gastineau.  HE made us relevant.   The Kosar hit and his behavior at the end taints our memories but let's not forget what a presence he was. So I applaud your choice.  

And who can forget Birgitte!

6 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Only 3 Jets have had 4 sack games since they started counting sacks as a stat.. Name the 3..:)

Curtis Martin, Joe Klecko, Lance Mehl, Wesley Walker, Mark Gastineau.

In my early Jet years it was Namath, Maynard, Gerry Philbin, Verlon Biggs, John Elliott and Riggins.

In Walt Michaels years it was Marvin Powell, Walker, Freeman McNeil, Klecko and Gastineau.

6 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

That hit turned the game around but the Jets had two dropped interceptions by Johnny Lynn (by his own admission) that would have won that game. Gastineau takes FAR too much blame for that loss.

23 years old here, so limited exposure. Anyways, here's my crack at it:

1. Curtis Martin

2. Wayne Chrebet

3. Thomas Jones

4. Chad Pennington

5. Stephen Hill

Curtis was and always will be my favorite player. Loved his aggressiveness and his great attitude. Loved the underdog story of Chrebet, and his relentless effort. Loved Jones for the same reason I loved Martin. Loved Chad for his intelligence and his composure. Wish he never was injured. I honestly liked Hill more than more of the others I put, but knew I'd be much more hated on if I put him any higher. He didn't really perform for us. Nevertheless, GREAT attitude, great measurables, and had all of the potential in the world.

Archived