Report: Jets Offer to Fitz at $12 Million in First Year of 3-Year/$24M Deal

JetNation

10 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

If the Jets didn't think they were capable of making a run they would not be offering Fitz what they offered. This should be common sense since they signed so many post 30 years old players rather than go into full rebuild mode. The Jets have a football team that can contend and if some of the rookies and players drafted last year step up this can be a really good team.

For instance lets say Lee and Maulidn step up and create total havoc and the defense moves into the elite category do you want fumbling Geno at QB or do you want a player who knows how to protect the football and has the respect of his entire offense ? With Amaro Coming back and numerous receivers pushing for the number 3 and 4 slots and adding the threat of Matt Forte its very possible Fitz plays even better than last year. 

This is about the team and how its built the only thing set in stone right now by the Jets current actions is they don't trust Geno and they want to sign Fitz. For those of you who don't want Fitz ...too bad its going to happen and I think this team can contend

I agree with much of what you're saying...

The Jets management believe they can contend.

Like it or not Fitz is coming back, it's pretty much a certainty - this is all mostly useless conversation.  It's just a matter of when...Everyone keeps saying Fitz has no leverage, except he does.  which brings me to point two ...

The Jets, through poor management, have made it clear to anyone that will listen that they have no faith in Geno - and certainly Fitz and his agent know that.   Geno could look like Joe Montana in OTA's - they don't like him!  Not sure exactly why but whatever they saw in him throughout last year it's been very obvious.

What I don't agree with ...

The Jets can not truly contend this year with Fitz at QB.  The talent level isn't good enough and his skill set is too limited to carry this team through this tough schedule.

Fitz isn't remotely good enough to take this talent to the next level.  

You're asking for a lot to go right in order to take that next step and it's simply not going to happen.  Too many holes and too many hopes.

I personally believe Geno is the better option over giving $12mm to Fitz. (would love to see what he can do with talent around him)

• Replies 894
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I agree with much of what you're saying...

The Jets management believe they can contend.

Like it or not Fitz is coming back, it's pretty much a certainty - this is all mostly useless conversation.  It's just a matter of when...Everyone keeps saying Fitz has no leverage, except he does.  which brings me to point two ...

The Jets, through poor management, have made it clear to anyone that will listen that they have no faith in Geno - and certainly Fitz and his agent know that.   Geno could look like Joe Montana in OTA's - they don't like him!  Not sure exactly why but whatever they saw in him throughout last year it's been very obvious.

What I don't agree with ...

The Jets can not truly contend this year with Fitz at QB.  The talent level isn't good enough and his skill set is too limited to carry this team through this tough schedule.

Fitz isn't remotely good enough to take this talent to the next level.  

You're asking for a lot to go right in order to take that next step and it's simply not going to happen.  Too many holes and too many hopes.

I personally believe Geno is the better option over giving $12mm to Fitz. (would love to see what he can do with talent around him)

Ill bet raider Fans had this same discussion when they Signed Crappy JIm Plunkett who was absolutely horrible before signing there. Probably the same conversation about Rich Gannon. Jets fans about Vinny.

If Fitz turns out to be that next post 30 guy that comes into his own and blossoms late in his career it will be interesting to read these forums.

37 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

If the Jets didn't think they were capable of making a run they would not be offering Fitz what they offered. This should be common sense since they signed so many post 30 years old players rather than go into full rebuild mode. The Jets have a football team that can contend and if some of the rookies and players drafted last year step up this can be a really good team.

For instance lets say Lee and Maulidn step up and create total havoc and the defense moves into the elite category do you want fumbling Geno at QB or do you want a player who knows how to protect the football and has the respect of his entire offense ? With Amaro Coming back and numerous receivers pushing for the number 3 and 4 slots and adding the threat of Matt Forte its very possible Fitz plays even better than last year.

This is about the team and how its built the only thing set in stone right now by the Jets current actions is they don't trust Geno and they want to sign Fitz. For those of you who don't want Fitz ...too bad its going to happen and I think this team can contend

We disagree. Surprise! :)

I think the 30-somethings are here for the team to continue to compete, win some games, etc., but I don't believe that they believe they have a serious shot at a championship. They want to create a positive winning culture while they continue to put together a championship roster. 

Fitzpatrick's value in this regard is much more a mentor to Hackenberg and (maybe) Petty, than it is as a guy they think can get them thru a winter playoff run. 

If they had the level of belief in Fitz that you have, he'd be signed right now. If anyone else in the NFL had that belief, he'd be signed there. Fitz is a likable professional, with very real physical limitations. They want their young guns to learn some mental aspects from Fitz, then use their physical attributes to run with them. And even then, they've obviously placed a dollar limit on the value of that. 

14 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Ill bet raider Fans had this same discussion when they Signed Crappy JIm Plunkett who was absolutely horrible before signing there. Probably the same conversation about Rich Gannon. Jets fans about Vinny.

If Fitz turns out to be that next post 30 guy that comes into his own and blossoms late in his career it will be interesting to read these forums.

Vinny was potentially Jim Plunkett. Both were physical beasts with NFL cannons for arms. Fitzpatrick is not remotely in that conversation. Fitz is a gutsy, somewhat savvy vet. An excellent backup, spot starter. A guy the Jets want to bridge a one-year gap for them. That's basically it. 

I would absolutely be the first person to say I was wrong...and couldn't ever be more happy to be wrong.  

For me it's just a function of skill-set/physical ability...his arm simply isn't strong enough to compete at the necessary level to win with the surrounding talent.  

This isn't case of a QB finally "getting it"  At that's my thoughts.

25 minutes ago, slats said:

I think the 30-somethings are here for the team to continue to compete, win some games, etc., but I don't believe that they believe they have a serious shot at a championship. They want to create a positive winning culture while they continue to put together a championship roster. 

Fitzpatrick's value in this regard is much more a mentor to Hackenberg and (maybe) Petty, than it is as a guy they think can get them thru a winter playoff run. 

If they had the level of belief in Fitz that you have, he'd be signed right now. If anyone else in the NFL had that belief, he'd be signed there. Fitz is a likable professional, with very real physical limitations. They want their young guns to learn some mental aspects from Fitz, then use their physical attributes to run with them. And even then, they've obviously placed a dollar limit on the value of that. 

You really think they want Fitz back just to be a mentor for Hack. They could bring back Mark Brunell for that and a lot cheaper. The guy is a 2nd round draft pick and not rated a slam dunk prospect to eventually be our starter. And if they thought as little of him as you do saying he's a backup and at best a spot starter then why are they still holding the door open for him and not going to Plan B. The facts are that he's started a lot of games during his career and been a starter. He started 16 games for the Jets last year and had a good year. So how is that being a backup when he was our starter. If he was so bad last year why didn't they bench him and start Geno. The reason obviously was that he gave us our best chance to win. And the complaining about week 17. The key play was a botched punt which led to a Bills Td. There were dropped passes including by Marshall and a missed FG. You add all of those up or even subtract just one of them we might have won that game. We lost by 5 and had the ball with 44 seconds left. He put us in a position to win the game. Fans that know nothing about football blamed it all on the Qb. 

56 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

I'm sure there is not one of us here that gets paid what we are worth...Fitz will get over it the same way we all do and take what he can get. 

I agree with this ... Although perhaps with some upped numbers in year 2 &3 if all of the performance incentives are hit ... Meaning he plays in good in 2016 & 2017 & 2018 that Hack remains on the bench ... Unlikely but could satisfy his end

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

I would absolutely be the first person to say I was wrong...and couldn't ever be more happy to be wrong.  

For me it's just a function of skill-set/physical ability...his arm simply isn't strong enough to compete at the necessary level to win with the surrounding talent.  

It's not just the arm strength, fitz doesn't have the ability to make quick decisions post snap. It's not a function of intelligence, he's actually pretty good at figuring out where the blitz is likely to be coming from and things like that, but he doesn't go past his first read... If he's covered, he will get jumpy and either force the ball into coverage or take off running prematurely, often completely ignoring wide open receivers. That combined with the lack of arm strength makes for a very difficult time scoring points in a hurry, which is why you see the drastic splits in his games when playing from behind

2 hours ago, slats said:

Slats I don't disagree with anything you are saying here but I feel Fitz is here for two reasons :)

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Fitz' arm is fine he played at the beginning of last season with some issues because his lower body was not there yet. As the season progressed his arm and lower body began to progress nicely. Look at the video of him throwing the football he was stepping into his throws much better the second half of the season, I'm not sure if you have ever been in a cast for a broken leg but I have and the rehab is similar to that of an ACL injury you have to re build the muscle and the strength you lose a lot of muscle mass and one leg looks proprtionalty less muscular than the other. Fitz does not have arm Issues his arm is fine to make the throws but I think his timing on deep balls needs to improve and yes it is a question of timing when throwing deep.

SPORTS

Jets QB Ryan Fitzpatrick ready to take 1-year deal for $12 million guaranteed: source

Ryan Fitzpatrick is ready to bet on himself. Will the Jets double down and take the wager?

The Daily News has learned Fitzpatrick is prepared to end his contract stalemate by letting the Jets know he will take a one-year deal for $12 million guaranteed. It’s the same money with the same guarantee the Jets are offering in the first year of their frontloaded three-year $24 million proposal that has backup money in the second and third year.

One year and $12 million is fair for Fitz and the Jets.

But at this point, the Jets are being stubborn and have not indicated they are willing to lock up Fitz for just one year, even if they are willing to pay him starter’s money for just one year and are lowballing him in the second and third year.

Fitzpatrick has given up on getting multi-year security from the Jets this free agent season after he set the franchise record with 31 TD passes last year. He is ready to take his chances in the free agent market again in 2017.

The Jets want it both ways: They want three years with a serious pay cut after the first year.

It’s now up to the Jets to take some risk, too, to settle this four-month Fitz Fight and end the nightmare of Jets Nation: Geno Smith taking first-team snaps.

I’ve mentioned in the Daily News the last few weeks a one-year deal is the win-win compromise solution for Fitzpatrick and the Jets and allows them each to save face.

The advantage of a one-year deal for Fitzpatrick is if he has another big season, but this time instead of choking in the fourth quarter of the last game with three interceptions, he gets them into the postseason for the first time since 2010 and then cashes in with the Jets or another team.

The risk is he regresses and plays like he did for most of the first 10 years of his career and then the Jets don’t want him back even to back up Christian Hackenberg and he signs as a No. 2 with his seventh team and can only get the $1 million veteran minimum in 2017.

There’s been no negotiations between the Jets and Fitz’s camp for months. There’s been conversation but no new numbers from GM Mike Maccagnan.

Clearly, the Jets are not buying into the one-year contract idea or Fitz would be signed. The offer the Jets have had on the table is fair for 2016, even if it’s still below market value for starting quarterbacks. The second and third seasons make it impossible for him to sign:

-- 2016: $12 million guaranteed. The Jets can prorate the signing bonus money over the three years of the contract. Although the breakdown of the 2016 payout is unclear, if the signing bonus is $9 million, for example, the salary cap charge for this season would be a modest $6 million. The $12 million is a nice raise over the $3.25 million he made last year. The three-year offer makes sense from the Jets’ perspective: They get a low cap number for 2016 and get Fitz cheap the next two years.

-- 2017: $6 million with $3 million guaranteed. It’s a no-lose for the Jets. If Fitz is the starter, they get him for relatively next to nothing in NFL dollars. It he’s not the starter and they keep him, he’s a $6 million insurance policy for Hackenberg. If he gets cut, the Jets recoup the $3 million as long as Fitz signs with another team for at least that much. If he signs for less than $3 million, the Jets make up the difference. If he can’t find another job or retires after getting cut, they owe him $3 million.

-- 2018: $6 million, no money guaranteed.

There are $12 million in incentives in the three-year offer primarily tied to the Jets making the playoffs and then advancing. In the second and third years, there could also be incentives tied to number of starts.

What’s the downside of a one-year contract for the Jets?

It it’s a straight one-year deal, the 2016 salary cap hit would be $12 million. As of Wednesday, the Jets were just $3.1 million under the cap. They would have to clear $8.9 million. The more logical way to solve the cap issue is to put in an option for the second and third year that would require a huge payout before the start of the 2017 league year next March. That would guarantee the Jets cut Fitz, giving him the opportunity to test the market or sign a new deal with the Jets. That’s what the Patriots did in Darrelle Revis’ contract in 2014.

The Jets have the only starting job available to Fitzpatrick. The Jets don’t want to start Smith. Fitz and the Jets need each other.

“It’s double jeopardy,” said one source who has been keeping a close eye on the negotiations. “Fitz is stuck. The Jets are stuck losing games without him. They need a quarterback. A one-year deal is the answer. The Jets are making this a circus. They’re wrong on this one.”

The Jets stance makes you wonder, of course, if Eric Decker and Brandon Marshall want Fitzpatrick back a whole lot more than Maccagnan and Todd Bowles.

“What is odd about this is if you think about all the acrimonious contract negotiations that occur in the NFL, they almost never involve a starting quarterback,” said agent Leigh Steinberg, who has represented Hall of Famers Troy Aikman, Steve Young and Warren Moon and has Broncos first-round pick Paxton Lynch. “Quarterbacks are almost never the subject of public contract negotiations. It’s the one position in football that teams treat gingerly.”

These are the Jets. Nothing comes easy. Say I do for one year and see if they want to renew their vows next year.

2 hours ago, slats said:

Vinny was potentially Jim Plunkett. Both were physical beasts with NFL cannons for arms. Fitzpatrick is not remotely in that conversation. Fitz is a gutsy, somewhat savvy vet. An excellent backup, spot starter. A guy the Jets want to bridge a one-year gap for them. That's basically it. 

vinny jim plunked and rich gannon were three very different QB's the only one that had an arm was Vinny and bothj plunkett and Gannon will tell you so since they both stated they lacked strong arms.

5 hours ago, nyjunc said:

the cap has absolutely nothing to do with Fitz.  it does w/ Mo for the long term but it doesn't with Fitz.  That is not playing any role in this negotiation.

Like I said, cash is not the problem. Woody has enough. This really shouldn't be the debate. Cash is not an issue. It's the cap, just like with Mo. If Mac thinks Fitz is worth $12mil a year, he'll pay him 12 a year. Woody won't stop him. 

13 hours ago, ljr said:

Will agree to disagree with you on this part of the contract that is supposedly on the table.

our FO's desire is to have Fitz make a run this year if he fails but we can still keep him on the cheap in the mentor/backup QB role in years 2 & 3 at 6mil per .... Believe several sources said 3 of the 6 mil guaranteed year 2 ... And then incentives (would assume mostly playing time based) to up Fitz to 12 per year in 2017 & 2018 also if he plays great.

i would say that favors the Jets, JMO

Clearly we disagree, since I would see anything above 3 x $7M (including the SB) as overpaying. There is no "run" with him this year; it is imaginary/wishful but not based in anything he's done since it will be almost a statistical impossibility to repeat facing 14+ weaklings and weakened teams this year (which still only resulted in 10 wins).

Like you say, agree to disagree and all that. I'm sympathetic to how you feel but simply disagree that he is enough of an upgrade over the rest (or even another we could theoretically trade for) to make a 2016 "run" more realistic.

12 hours ago, slats said:

Great post.

This is precisely why the 1 year $12 million deal will not happen. It's not about Fitz being so much better than Geno. It's about him teaching Hack and Petty how to be pros. They aren't going to learn anything of value from Geno Smith. They will learn a lot about preparation and the mental aspect of the game from Fitz.

That's why the Jets want this to be a 3 year deal, where they pay him backup money in 2017 and 2018.

2 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

Great post.

This is precisely why the 1 year $12 million deal will not happen. It's not about Fitz being so much better than Geno. It's about him teaching Hack and Petty how to be pros. They aren't going to learn anything of value from Geno Smith. They will learn a lot about preparation and the mental aspect of the game from Fitz.

That's why the Jets want this to be a 3 year deal, where they pay him backup money in 2017 and 2018.

They also do not have the cap room to absorb the 12 million this year.

12 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

You really think they want Fitz back just to be a mentor for Hack. They could bring back Mark Brunell for that and a lot cheaper. The guy is a 2nd round draft pick and not rated a slam dunk prospect to eventually be our starter. And if they thought as little of him as you do saying he's a backup and at best a spot starter then why are they still holding the door open for him and not going to Plan B. The facts are that he's started a lot of games during his career and been a starter. He started 16 games for the Jets last year and had a good year. So how is that being a backup when he was our starter. If he was so bad last year why didn't they bench him and start Geno. The reason obviously was that he gave us our best chance to win. And the complaining about week 17. The key play was a botched punt which led to a Bills Td. There were dropped passes including by Marshall and a missed FG. You add all of those up or even subtract just one of them we might have won that game. We lost by 5 and had the ball with 44 seconds left. He put us in a position to win the game. Fans that know nothing about football blamed it all on the Qb. 

Yes. It's all about the Hackenberg. 

They don't want to throw Hack into the fire as a rookie, so they need a starter. They're willing to give Fitzpatrick starter money for the one year they need a starting QB. Fitz knows Gailey's system inside and out, has natural leadership abilities, and conducts himself like a professional at all times. Obviously he's the much better choice to serve as a mentor/player/coach over Geno Smith, despite the fact that Geno has it over him physically in every category. That's his real value. Just as a player, he's a largely inaccurate, weak armed passer. 

Fitzpatrick is only worth that $12M in year one if he's willing to hang around as mentor/backup at a reduced rate for a couple more years. His value is in teaching Hackenberg, and leading by example. He should be glad the Jets place so high a premium on that service and sign the best offer he's ever going to get. 

23 hours ago, slats said:

\

Look, Mac is trying to hedge all of his bets. That's one reason Petty is still around. They are not 100% sure that Hack is going to be their franchise Qb. He was not a slam dunk prospect and is coming off of successive poor seasons at Penn State. And Bill O'Brien passed on him even when the Texans traded up in front of the Jets. I think a one year deal for Fitz is a compromise esp coming from him. Because he is giving up 3 mil in guaranteed money. He believes in himself and doesn't want to be tied into a two year backup deal and be the Jets insurance policy. IMO the Jets should just go forward without Fitz then and start Geno if the last two years of the contract is non negotiable. But right now they have created an impasse and a potentially bad relationship with their starting Qb. This is not smart. If you want the guy back you don't give him a take or leave it attitude. I don't think that Fitz will sign that 3 year deal but will take the one year and then leave and bet on his ability to find a starting job next year. If he has a good year with the Jets again there is a market for him. I have no doubts that he can find an NFL job in 2016 with another team either sooner or later. Not for 12 mil but again that deal is really 8 mil. 

Archived