Fitzpatrick, Jets Stuck in Tough Spot

JetNation

2 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

12 mil first year then 6 and 6 for years 2  and 3 . IF Fitz plays very well again and the Jets want him to start in year 2 of the contract Fitz gets the 12 Mil he got in year 1. Rinse and repeat for year 3.

I've read reports that that's exactly how this deal is structured, 3/$36M if he hits all incentives. 

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

What Mac should do to end this if he really wants him is simple. 

Call his agent tomorrow and tell him the offer is now $10mm.  Next week it goes to $8.  Etc.  

Fitz lost the battle in the free market and the Jets left their same offer on the table.  Theoretically his value is lower than it was 4 months ago.  

If you need the player (which the Jets do) then the value is set, its between the Jets and Fitz forget about the market because it doesn't exist ... People keep pointing at the fact no other teams want Fitz but there is good reason for that he's 33 years old and would have to learn a new system. In that case you should ALWAYS go with a younger player or risk that Fitz does not fit well with the offense. Fitz is a good fit here and If any team inquired and offered less than Fitz feels he's actually worth he probably turned it down or was never offered in the first place because everyone in and around the NFL knows where the guy belongs

Just now, slats said:

I've read reports that that's exactly how this deal is structured, 3/$36M if he hits all incentives. 

I didn't see any reports (link?) but if that's the case he will be signing the deal. Could be just a matter of negotiating the incentives and how they work. If that's the case this deal will get done very soon. Debating whether or not Fitz will be the Jets Starter next year is a waste time .

What we should be debating is whether or not Geno gets shown the door because I doubt they go with 4 QB's and I certainly don't see Petty getting cut

10 hours ago, Mike135 said:

Plus a one year deal definitely wouldn't be for 12mil.  Fitz is only worth 12 to the Jets the first year if he accepts 6mil for two additional years as a backup.

I'd guess the Jets would only offer 8 or 9 max on a one year deal.

Basically, yeah.

In exchange for a very generous $12M in year one, they want two more years of that sweet Fitzpatrick backing up and mentoring. This offer really is more about the future of the Jets at the position than Fitzpatrick himself. They want Hackenberg to take over as soon as next year, but they also want to give him this year to watch and learn. They'd strongly prefer he watch and learn from Fitzpatrick than Geno, which is certainly understandable, and they've offered a considerable sum for that service. The Jets aren't getting that on a one year deal, which is why they're not offering one. 

I understand Fitz not particularly liking the offer, but that doesn't change the fact that it's the best (only?) offer he's gotten. Jets would be idiots to raise it, or shorten it, or alter it in any way that doesn't suit the team. Fitz's choices remain to either take it or retire. 

13 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

I didn't see any reports (link?) but if that's the case he will be signing the deal. Could be just a matter of negotiating the incentives and how they work. If that's the case this deal will get done very soon. Debating whether or not Fitz will be the Jets Starter next year is a waste time .

What we should be debating is whether or not Geno gets shown the door because I doubt they go with 4 QB's and I certainly don't see Petty getting cut

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/fitzpatrick-passed-up-36m-offer-from-jets-1.1607059

10 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Sad state of affairs a 34 year old journeyman QB is what this off season all about. 

And there's no guarantee he can roll into camp late summer again and be ready for a tougher schedule.

Fitznatics are riding on hope. This year isn't candyland like it was last year.

3 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Quote from Bryce Petty, readily available via a Google search:

“With [Fitzpatrick] watching film with me and us getting together on Tuesdays and game-planning together, I can tell you that I would feel confident playing right now,’’ Petty said. “There are so many guys that are not like that — guys who maybe had to learn on their own, so they just feel like everyone should learn it on their own, too.

“Fitz isn’t like that. It’s a pay-it-forward kind of deal. Hopefully, if I have the career that he’s had, I can do that for somebody else.’’

Sounds sweet but the politics can change if he takes a 3-yr deal that suggests backup dollars for the last two years.

Also, did Fitz watch film with Geno or just the rookie that posed no threat to his job?

Petty recalled the Jets’ loss to the Raiders last month as a turning point for him, because when Fitzpatrick went down in that game with a left thumb injury and his status was in question the following week, Petty suddenly became the “next man’’ in the next-man-up scenario.

“I was like, ‘Holy [cow], I might have to play,’ ’’ Petty told The Post. “I’d been serious about my preparation before that, but that got me more focused.’’

Notice Petty said, "Holy, I might have to" instead of "Wow, I might get to" ... sounds quite ready to me ... lol

12 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

If you need the player (which the Jets do) then the value is set, its between the Jets and Fitz forget about the market because it doesn't exist ... People keep pointing at the fact no other teams want Fitz but there is good reason for that he's 33 years old and would have to learn a new system. In that case you should ALWAYS go with a younger player or risk that Fitz does not fit well with the offense. Fitz is a good fit here and If any team inquired and offered less than Fitz feels he's actually worth he probably turned it down or was never offered in the first place because everyone in and around the NFL knows where the guy belongs

I don't understand how a market doesn't exist.  Seriously, I don't get that logic at all.  

Lastly, are you claiming teams in the NFL didn't go after Fitz - not because they didn't like him as a player but in some sense of righteousness decided the Jets were the proper place for him and didn't want to get in the way of this wonderful partnership?

11 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Sorry but its disingenuous. Esp the way they leaked it. You know we offered Fitz one year for 12 mil and not mention the rest of the contract. Or how much is guaranteed. His agent is one of the top agents in football and knows contracts and isn't a Scott Boras type. Not a good deal but he can walk. 

Disingenuous? Give me a break. Fitz is playing hard ball and rightly so, Mac is too. It's called doing business.

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I don't understand how a market doesn't exist.  Seriously, I don't get that logic at all.  

Lastly, are you claiming teams in the NFL didn't go after Fitz - not because they didn't like him as a player but in some sense of righteousness decided the Jets were the proper place for him and didn't want to get in the way of this wonderful partnership?

Hes 33 he fits here does it make sense to have a 33 year old QB learn a new system ? We're not talking about a HOF QB here we are talking about a QB who finally found his place.

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Fitz was a 7th round draft pick who has made millions of dollars coming out of the football factory of Harvard. He is beloved by his teammates and has many others sing the praises of how he's a great human. In a league where the average career is what? Like four years? Fitz has been around 10 plus. While he's had his shares of ups and downs in his career, I'm sure Bryce Petty will take even a sliver of the career and respect that Fitx has had and earned. And so would you.  

You really don't want young QB's on your team to have a carreer goal of Journeyman/back-up and never going to the playoffs.  Sure, he'll make some money and if that's all Petty thinks he can be, so be it...It does although say a lot about what we can expect from him.

32 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Hes 33 he fits here does it make sense to have a 33 year old QB learn a new system ? We're not talking about a HOF QB here we are talking about a QB who finally found his place.

Much of that is true,  but why should/would the Jets pay him more than he can get from anyone else? 

Found his place?  some of you guys make it seem like we made a deep playoff run...his best season ever (where everything fell into place) and the Jets missed the playoffs!  Is this really what we've come to as fans.  Missing the playoffs is our QB that "found his place"

5 hours ago, Flushing Roots said:

He's only got 2 options: Play for the Jets or lie on the couch and call it a career.  He'll go crazy on the couch, especially with all those kids.

Why not get paid like a one percenter and do what he loves in a system he is familiar with?  With teammates that want him back?

He's signing soon.

Or option number 3

Wait till the pre season. Someone is bound to get hurt and go that route. Probably won't get the money he is looking for but he is still playing.

This clown show has gone on too long already and is yet another example of the bumbling Jets.  Its like it doesn't even matter who the head coach or the GM is, the end result is always the same - the Jets look like an inept organization. Whatever contract Mac has offered Fitzpatrick, he has to give a hard deadline and then move on.  The fact that the Jets are being held hostage by a journeyman QB is absurd, regardless of how many TD's he threw last year.  QB is the most important position on the field, and this crap should have been settled a while ago.  Fitz is either in or he's out.  Let's get the show on the road already.

30 minutes ago, Ken Shroy said:

Disingenuous? Give me a break. Fitz is playing hard ball and rightly so, Mac is too. It's called doing business.

It makes the public esp fans who don't like him think he's turning down 12 mil.It's a headline figure but remember the Jets did not release the rest of the contract which is very low. And also they did not give out anything on guaranteed money. The only advantage to Fitz for a 12-6-6 over an 8-8-8 is if he gets cut after year 1. 

37 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Much of that is true,  but why should/would the Jets pay him more than he can get from anyone else? 

Found his place?  some of you guys make it seem like we made a deep playoff run...his best season ever (where everything fell into place) and the Jets missed the playoffs!  Is this really what we've come to as fans.  Missing the playoffs is our QB that "found his place"

He means the bearded lady found a circus.

12 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Well he and his agent turned it down. They don't think it's a fair competitive deal in this market. To me it's stupid for the Jets not to increase their offer. Or just give him a one or a two year deal. 

They are already offering a BACKUP level QB way way more than he should ever be offered. The contract is already ludicrous, costs us players and future cap, to offer more would be criminally incompetent. Only Jets fans want to cling so desperately to one outrider of a year and completely ignore how mediocre to bad this guy really is. Last year was an illusion fueled by an all time easy schedule, the best #1 and #2 receiving combo in the NFL, and a LOT of dropped ints and great adjustments by Marshall on poorly thrown balls.History has shown what happens when you ignore history. He is the same guy who completely collapsed the last time he got "starter" money. 

So you think we have a better chance to win with Geno then. Great advice.

Possibly, but what is the Jets future if they bring back Fitz?

Not very bright at all.

Let Geno start the season, keep him on a short leash (3-4 games) and then turn the reigns over to one of the kids to see what they have if Geno implodes.

No matter how much optimism and hope you have, Ryan Fitzpatrick will not be leading the Jets anywhere near the playoffs in 2016.

Jets need to move to Plan B sooner than later.

1 minute ago, PatsFanTX said:

Not very bright at all.

Let Geno start the season, keep him on a short leash (3-4 games) and then turn the reigns over to one of the kids to see what they have if Geno implodes.

No matter how much optimism and hope you have, Ryan Fitzpatrick will not be leading the Jets anywhere near the playoffs in 2016.

This is clearly the logical move and what's in the best long-term interest of the organization.  The Jets are simply so afraid of bad press that they will do things like this to appease the media and ignorant fans. 

1 hour ago, slats said:

I am not questioning what you read, but I would like to read it also. do you have a link?

8 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Not very bright at all.

No I'll stick with Plan A which worked pretty well last year and has our players on board.Your team can go to Plan B but I don't think they're that stupid. 

3 minutes ago, ylekram said:

I am not questioning what you read, but I would like to read it also. do you have a link?

Posted it at Smashmouth's request a couple posts down from where you quoted me. 

9 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

They are already offering a BACKUP level QB way way more than he should ever be offered. The contract is already ludicrous, costs us players and future cap, to offer more would be criminally incompetent. Only Jets fans want to cling so desperately to one outrider of a year and completely ignore how mediocre to bad this guy really is. Last year was an illusion fueled by an all time easy schedule, the best #1 and #2 receiving combo in the NFL, and a LOT of dropped ints and great adjustments by Marshall on poorly thrown balls.History has shown what happens when you ignore history. He is the same guy who completely collapsed the last time he got "starter" money. 

I don't think starting all of our games and winning ten of them is being a backup Qb. He's our starter.

3 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Are you a fan of Wylie Coyote as well?

I'm sure he'll catch that damn Roadrunner this year.

Plan A. No deviation. We aren't going to start the NFL's worst Qb two years in a row. It should be a no-brainer and it is but a very few small sampling of Jets fans on this board hate the guy because we lost one game. Hopefully our FO and owner aren't as clueless as they are. But I have my doubts on that. 

14 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

No I'll stick with Plan A which worked pretty well last year and has our players on board.Your team can go to Plan B but I don't think they're that stupid. 

yea, I will stick with plan "A" myself, which is what the front office is trying to get accomplished. plan "B" starts in 2017 but the geniuses want to start plan "B" this year. either that or they want to start geno and finally see what he's got. unfortunately, I don't think geno is part of any jets plan, especially after this year

19 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

This is the problem I have with Jet fans that seemingly want Fitz back at all costs.  

It didn't work out pretty well last year.! They didn't even make the playoffs.  Losing gracefully has become a win for some fans.  Not me.

Archived