Tank every season until we get a Franchise QB?

BowlesMovement

Should this just be the strategy? Hopefully Hack or Petty is that guy, but the odds are they are not. So do we let one of them start, rank the season, draft a high QB next year and rinse and repeat until we get one? Each year let all the young QBs fight it out, hoping one emerges as the guy.

Of course the HC and GM will be fired every 2-3 years, and nobody would want to play here until the guy is found.

As fans, would you support the team during this plan? Go to games? Buy gear?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

Should this just be the strategy? Hopefully Hack or Petty is that guy, but the odds are they are not. So do we let one of them start, rank the season, draft a high QB next year and rinse and repeat until we get one? Each year let all the young QBs fight it out, hoping one emerges as the guy.

Of course the HC and GM will be fired every 2-3 years, and nobody would want to play here until the guy is found.

If the alternative is accepting mediocrity, yup.

There is a difference between tanking the season and locking the team into a QB who clearly is neither going to be the team's future nor is he going to QB the team to a SB victory. If the team thought so the wouldn't be dillydallying with him and they'd already have this SB-winning QB locked up at the bargain price of $14M/season with at least 2 years guaranteed.

Not signing Fitzpatrick doesn't = tanking the season because signing Fitzpatrick doesn't = contending for a SB and he's not a young QB who just needs some reps to become the team's franchise QB.

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

There is a difference between tanking the season and locking the team into a QB who clearly is neither going to be the team's future nor is he going to QB the team to a SB victory. If the team thought so the wouldn't be dillydallying with him and they'd already have this SB-winning QB locked up at the bargain price of $14M/season with at least 2 years guaranteed.

Not signing Fitzpatrick doesn't = tanking the season because signing Fitzpatrick doesn't = contending for a SB and he's not a young QB who just needs some reps to become the team's franchise QB.

This post has absolutely zero to do with Fitzpatrick, just asking th question to get fans take

1 minute ago, BowlesMovement said:

This post has absolutely zero to do with Fitzpatrick, just asking th question to get fans take

The obvious insinuation is that not signing Fitzpatrick = tanking the season. There isn't anyone here who would think otherwise and I know you're not this obtuse.

What else has the team done that could possibly be seen by anyone as "tanking" the season? Nothing; just Fitz.

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

The obvious insinuation is that not signing Fitzpatrick = tanking the season. 

What else has the team done that could possibly be seen by anyone as "tanking" the season? Nothing; just Fitz.

I don't even want him back anymore, and this season cannot be tanked completely, there is talent on this team, I'm not using this team or this year as an example, just asking a hypothetical?

10 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The obvious insinuation is that not signing Fitzpatrick = tanking the season. There isn't anyone here who would think otherwise and I know you're not this obtuse.

exactly. 

Fitz is not the answer to the Jets QB problem and there is no star QB in college football this year , the first 2 QB taking this year are not top 5 QB's ,tanking does not always work look at the 76's tanking for years and still terrible. 

57 minutes ago, bassmaster2 said:

Fitz is not the answer to the Jets QB problem and there is no star QB in college football this year , the first 2 QB taking this year are not top 5 QB's ,tanking does not always work look at the 76's tanking for years and still terrible. 

True. Maybe the Jets should attempt developing the 3 QB's that are on the roster that all just so happen to be under rookie contracts. we dug into the draft damn near every year for a QB. Tanking doesn't suddenly change our favor. We'll end up drafting a QB that we either refuse to develop or we give into a knee-jerk fanbase that wants to move on as soon as they see the first sign of trouble...preferring instant gratification such as overpaying journeymen in order to ignore the fact that we have young QB's that need development and experience. 

How short our memory is. We tanked a season 2 years ago in order to purge contacts (4-12). Tanking a season one year after drafting a qb with a high 2nd round pick. Now instead of fans wanting to spend the spoils on the qb that was directly affected by this, they prefer to give it to either Ryan Fitzpatrick or tank again for another QB next year, which will mean that we once again spent a high 2nd round pick on a QB (Hackenberg) only to not develop him while tanking yet another season to purge the team of contracts (Revis for example). 

This sh*t never gets old. 

42 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

It works so well for the Browns, why not?

I liked last season, it was a ride, I had something to cheer for.  What, I'm going to watch them go 4-12 for 10 years?  Become a total loser franchise?   When you become that big a loser, even if you find that QB it's hard to turn the franchise around.

Hey, we should just tank if Petty or Hack aren't our guys...never mind the only QB in OTA's that even looks like a respectable QB so far. We shouldn't even utter his name when talking about "hopefully" having one of our QB's pan out. Oh no, that would just be too blasphemous to even wish him anything remotely considered "well or positive". 

Tanking may be the only option since Fitzpatrick has been financially and contractually disrespected, Hack has left foot issues (or right, maybe both) at the snap and Bryce thinks Madden is simulation! Welp, kill the lights, tank the season and fire everybody Woody! And don't come back until you draft the next Andrew Luck in order to have a QB that can cover up front office and coaching incompetence while at the same time tricking the fanbase into believing that for as long as we have the next Andrew Luck we will be true contenders! Lol 

What a joke this is. 

2 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Hey, we should just tank if Petty or Hack aren't our guys...never mind the only QB in OTA's that even looks like a respectable QB so far. We shouldn't even utter his name when talking about "hopefully" having one of our QB's pan out. Oh no, that would just be too blasphemous to even wish him anything remotely considered "well or positive". 

Tanking may be the only option since Hack has left foot issues (or right, maybe both) at the snap and Bryce thinks Madden is simulation! Welp, kill the lights, tank the season and fire everybody Woody! And don't come back until you draft the next Andrew Luck in order to have a QB that can cover up front office and coaching incompetence while at the same time tricking the fanbase into believing that for as long as we have the next Andrew Luck we will be true contenders! Lol 

What a joke this is. 

What a joke you are

1 hour ago, BowlesMovement said:

Just switch your fandom to the Browns

56 minutes ago, bassmaster2 said:

Fitz is the ONLY answer right now however. There is no QB better one than Fitz on the roster right now. Right now the Jets would be in serious trouble if Geno Smith had to start.

As Herman Edwards said, "You play to win the game." I hate it when the Jets lose, but I accept it if I feel they played their best. I have seen a good many half efforts over the years from the Jets and that angers me more than the loss, so tanking ANY season is simply out of the question.

3 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

Fitz is the ONLY answer right now however. There is no QB better one than Fitz on the roster right now. Right now the Jets would be in serious trouble if Geno Smith had to start.

We were in serious trouble last year when our back up QB had to start. 

We're starting our back up QB this season...so we should be fine! ;)

3 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

As Herman Edwards said, "You play to win the game." I hate it when the Jets lose, but I accept it if I feel they played their best. I have seen a good many half efforts over the years from the Jets and that angers me more than the loss, so tanking ANY season is simply out of the question.

Exactly. I doubt people paying for season tickets would appreciate tanking every season until they find "one player". 

The idea is to build the best team you can, not put all that weight on the shoulders of one player, while at the same time giving up all hope on current teams until you find this elusive "franchise QB" rookie. 

I guess this would technically be easier than paying coaches and a front office to do their job in developing talent and putting together an efficient offensive/defensive scheme. 

40 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Wow, disagree with "tanking every season until you draft a franchise QB" and this is what you'll get as a personal message lol. 

Capture.JPG

How typical! lol. 

Your an antagonistic little a$$hole who has probably never gotten laid in your pathetic life

37 minutes ago, Hitman Harris said:

It could be an epic troll, never know. 

TBH just change teams or something already. 

These guys wanna turn us into the damn Rams. lol

I'm not trolling, and this is not something I would do, but a lot of fans seem to think its Super Bowl or bust

back on topic, if the choice is tank the season to get a high draft pick in the hope that your future franchise QB will be waiting vs trading the farm when you identify a future franchise QB then I would wait, play competitive football and trade the farm when you find the guy

if Wentz is the guy, Philly will look brilliant even after throwing 50m at "hold the fort guys"

Archived