Report: Fitzpatrick Prepared to Accept One-Year Deal From Jets

JetNation

Ryan Fitzpatrick

By Glenn Naughton

Gary Myers of the New York Daily News is reporting that free agent quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick is prepared to sign a one-year deal with the team in order to end their contractual stalemate.

Never able to resist the opportunity to take a shot at Gang Green, Myers says the Jets are being “stubborn” in refusing to offer Fitzpatrick a one-year deal in hopes of locking him up as a multi-year backup.

At the moment, the Jets reportedly have a 3-year $24 million contract offer on the table that would pay Fitzpatrick $12 million in year one, followed by $6 million in each of the following two seasons.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
TfQU4tQ1fcA

Click here to read the full story...

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Lets hope for us Jets fans sake this all works out for us we deserve to be happy and root for a winning team. 

If Fitzpatrick is the QB so be it. 

He will have my support. 

Yup,  I just didn't want the Jets to cave.  A 1 year deal is a great situation for the Jets.  Even if he plays great again,  he's not going to warrant huge interest next year either.  

To me this is a fair deal. And like Myers says they can structure it like the Patriots did with Revis to cut the cap number in 2016. I can't think of any reason why not to do this. And like Leigh Steinberg said he's never heard of a team battling like this with their starting Qb. This is not the person you fight with. 

8 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Lets hope for us Jets fans sake this all works out for us we deserve to be happy and root for a winning team. 

He will have my support. 

He's not worth the $12 million dollar cap hit. He can go eat a dick.

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

He's not worth the $12 million dollar cap hit. He can go eat a dick.

LOL.

I agree with you that he isn't worth the 12 million. But I don't see how they can not sign him after what he did last year. I don't think he will repeat the stats he had though. But they would be barebacking the entire season if they don't bring him back.

The New York Daily News reports free agent Ryan Fitzpatrick is "prepared" to sign a one-year, $12 million deal with the Jets.

The Jets' three-year proposal to Fitzpatrick is worth $24 million over three years, with $12 million in the first season. If the Jets offer him just a one-year contract worth $12 million guaranteed, the Daily News' Gary Myers reports Fitzpatrick would sign on the dotted line, ending his contract stalemate. The Jets are "being stubborn," however, and have not yet made him a one-year, $12 million offer. Myers' report is a way for Fitzpatrick's camp to get the word out. Myers reports Fitzpatrick has "given up on getting multi-year security from the Jets" and is "ready to take his chances in the free agent market again in 2017."

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Agree but we need closure on this QB situation its not good 

Ryan Fitzpatrick is not closure. Ryan Fitzpatrick is the kindling upon which the flames of this regime's funeral pyre will be constructed.

2 minutes ago, Maxman said:

LOL.

I agree with you that he isn't worth the 12 million. But I don't see how they can not sign him after what he did last year. I don't think he will repeat the stats he had though. But they would be barebacking the entire season if they don't bring him back.

Barebacking ain't so bad if you can control yourself

15 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I am a lot like Ryan Fitzpatrick. I usually come up short in the big games.

Pretty sure you posted the game thread against Buffalo week 17.  I've never forgiven you for that.  

/sarc

LOL @ everyone not in favor of this deal. 

1. Fitz, without a doubt, gives us the best chance to win football games. 

2. It's a 1-year deal. Will not hurt us in the future financially. 

3. Geno sucks dick. 

46 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

He will have my support. 

cough cough cough

8 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

They'll do it.

This is exactly what Brian Costello suggested yesterday.

A compromise could be reached by just chopping off the final two years of the deal, making it a one-year, $12 million deal, fully guaranteed. This would enable Fitzpatrick to play out 2016 and prove 2015 was no fluke, giving him earning power on the open market in 2017. If he has a great season, the Jets may want to bring him back on another one-year deal.

I hope Mac lowers the guarantee for a single year now ... lol

ble th

40 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

To me this is a fair deal. And like Myers says they can structure it like the Patriots did with Revis to cut the cap number in 2016. I can't think of any reason why not to do this. And like Leigh Steinberg said he's never heard of a team battling like this with their starting Qb. This is not the person you fight with. 

Pat Kirwin stated on the NFL radio Network this has been a total waste of time by both sides since its obvious and inevitable Fitz will resign with the Jets.  Yep. 

5 minutes ago, jetrider said:

This is exactly what Brian Costello suggested yesterday.

I hope Mac lowers the guarantee for a single year now ... lol

Right. Give him $6M guaranteed, 1 year, and include playoff-related incentives to bring it to $12M.

34 minutes ago, cant wait said:

It is funny how fitzpatrick came running back as soon as geno smith put together a decent practice LOL

Its not hard to put together a good practice in shorts and a don't touch my jaw red shirt. 

Archived