Report: Fitzpatrick Prepared to Accept One-Year Deal From Jets

JetNation

4 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

Can we just tell Fitz to not Sh!t then get off the pot? There is no way in hell we can let Geno walk without giving him a fair stock valuation before he walks. Do you think Warren Buffet got rich by not doing fair valuations??? I think NOT!

29 starts. He gets an F.

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, BowlesMovement said:

Look, HOF QBs have gotten an F- after 29 starts, they became HOF QBs! Are you willing to risk that happening for Geno Smith ON ANOTHER TEAM?????

Yes. Please leave and don't let the door hit you on the way out. But seriously 29 is a very fair sample size. Most good college Qbs even guys who are drafted don't even get one. Greg McElroy who won a National Championship had one. It was a bad game he got sacked about 7 times and that was it. But not as bad as Geno's Buff game. 

5 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

Look, HOF QBs have gotten an F- after 29 starts, they became HOF QBs! Are you willing to risk that happening for Geno Smith ON ANOTHER TEAM?????

yes, I am.  You sound like Joe Benigno today who said the same ridiculous thing.  "what if Geno becomes good somewhere else?"  And then he compared Geno's situation to Elway's first 3 years.   Joe is not quite the sharpest tool in the shed.  

Look, There are certain things that are extremely difficult to change or to coach, no matter how many years the player has been around.  One of them is the speed with which he reads defenses and processes what is happening around him.  In this regard, Geno is way below average and I seriously doubt that will ever change significantly to make him at least an adequate QB.  Another team can have him and deal with that.  

I don't like Fitz all that much with his poor throwing, but at least the guy processes what is going on around him accurately and has good instincts.  Geno has no good instincts on the field from what we have seen.

On 6/2/2016 at 11:08 AM, Sperm Edwards said:

I am totally shocked

What??? :rl: 

Make him sign??? He doesn't have to sign jack sh*t. If he was a better QB he'd be signed already, and his base price would be in excess of what's being offered as incentives.  If he is our QB in 2016, in excess of $10M for the season, he has a lot to show the organization, not the other way around. 

It doesn't matter what you think because what you think is ludicrous. No offense. ;) 

It reminds me of the article about Brady giving Goodall a very reasonable counter offer...or that time I offered a very reasonable compromise to the Judge about the overpriced speeding ticket. 

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

yes, I am.  You sound like Joe Benigno today who said the same ridiculous thing.  "what if Geno becomes good somewhere else"  And then he compared Geno's situatio to Elway's first 3 years.   Joe is not quite the sharpest tool in the shed.  

You do realize his name is JOE right?? Maybe he knows a thing or too about good QBs??

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

yes, I am.  You sound like Joe Benigno today who said the same ridiculous thing.  "what if Geno becomes good somewhere else"  And then he compared Geno's situatio to Elway's first 3 years.   Joe is not quite the sharpest tool in the shed.  

What if Geno only played the Dolphins every year Bro...How bout dat? 

2 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

You do realize his name is JOE right?? Maybe he knows a thing or too about good QBs??

Look, There are certain things that are extremely difficult to change or to coach, no matter how many years the player has been around.  One of them is the speed with which he reads defenses and processes what is happening around him.  In this regard, Geno is way below average and I seriously doubt that will ever change significantly to make him at least an adequate QB.  Another team can have him and deal with that.  

I don't like Fitz all that much with his poor throwing, but at least the guy processes what is going on around him accurately and has good instincts.  Geno has no good instincts on the field from what we have seen.

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

Look, I am not an astronaut nor an astronomer, so I cannot comment on the speed of reading commits OR defenses. But I strongly suspect that even the worlds best Astro-physicist did not read them quickly at first, and they probably did not have Rex Ryan teaching them geology either.

10 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Yes. Please leave and don't let the door hit you on the way out. But seriously 29 is a very fair sample size. Most good college Qbs even guys who are drafted don't even get one. Greg McElroy who won a National Championship had one. It was a bad game he got sacked about 7 times and that was it. But not as bad as Geno's Buff game. 

Listen, go back and look at Peyton Mannings fist year, and give me 7 good reasons why Geno cannot be every bit as good as Manning!

3 minutes ago, Dcat said:

fine. Sit him for 14 games and play him those 2.  :rolleyes:

He'd have to play vs Buffalo too.

Oh, and any team with a record over .500.  Looking at our schedule, Fitz could play perhaps play 2 or 3 games.

18 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

He'd have to play vs Buffalo too.

Oh, and any team with a record over .500.  Looking at our schedule, Fitz could play perhaps play 2 or 3 games.

Yeah but then the Jets would have to bring back Vick to replace Geno after his struggles and ineptitude was too much to watch anymore. 

7 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Yeah but then the Jets would have to bring back Vick to replace Geno after his struggles and ineptitude was too much to watch anymore. 

Because Vick did better?  Lol, not even a guy with Vick's ability could win with that team.

30 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

Listen, go back and look at Peyton Mannings fist year, and give me 7 good reasons why Geno cannot be every bit as good as Manning!

Yeah he was 10x better than Geno. Look there just aren't that many chances in football. Every year there are new guys to replace you. And teams don't have a lot of patience for ineptitude. I think Hack will get a chance to play but not 29 starts like Geno if he is that bad. Not sure if Petty will ever even get a chance to play at all even one snap. But Geno could get another opportunity this year because there is a real chance they won't sign Fitz. 

4 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Because Vick did better?  Lol, not even a guy with Vick's ability could win with that team.

No. Vick was horrible and cashed a paycheck. That's all he wanted. And yet he was still seen as a viable alternative to Geno. He wasn't. 

Just now, CrazyCarl40 said:

No. Vick was horrible and cashed a paycheck. That's all he wanted. And yet he was still seen as a viable alternative to Geno. He wasn't. 

Vick, like any competitor at that level will always want to win and do well.  Then I'm guessing he noticed what he was surrounded by.  I can't really fault the guy.  That team was some serious $hit.

11 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Yeah he was 10x better than Geno. Look there just aren't that many chances in football. Every year there are new guys to replace you. And teams don't have a lot of patience for ineptitude. I think Hack will get a chance to play but not 29 starts like Geno if he is that bad. Not sure if Petty will ever even get a chance to play at all even one snap. But Geno could get another opportunity this year because there is a real chance they won't sign Fitz. 

Ryan Fitzpatrick has played for 6 teams, starting for most of them. Josh McCown has played for 6 teams, starting for most of them. 

Geno was bad for 29 games, but instead of just leaving it as that why not include the whole scenario? 

12 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Ryan Fitzpatrick has played for 6 teams, starting for most of them. Josh McCown has played for 6 teams, starting for most of them. 

Geno was bad for 29 games, but instead of just leaving it as that why not include the whole scenario? 

These caveats or reasons or excuses for Geno most fans don't buy. I'm not hanging on the edge of my seat waiting to see how Geno will do. Maybe in the exhibition season but not when it counts unless he is next man up. I'm for going with your best player and to me 2016 shouldn't be a try out for Geno. But unfortunately it might be. In terms of Fitz you say he sucks because he's been on six teams and no playoffs. But your excuse for Geno was a bad team and won't give Fitz the same alibi. 

2 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

These caveats or reasons or excuses for Geno most fans don't buy. I'm not hanging on the edge of my seat waiting to see how Geno will do. Maybe in the exhibition season but not when it counts unless he is next man up. I'm for going with your best player and to me 2016 shouldn't be a try out for Geno. But unfortunately it might be. In terms of Fitz you say he sucks because he's been on six teams and no playoffs. But your excuse for Geno was a bad team and won't give Fitz the same alibi. 

Psst...You totally ignored my question. 

3 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

The important part is how they & their teams have played most recently with them in charge ... What happened a decade ago ... Or what will happen a decade from now doesn't mean squat for the NYJets in 2016

9 hours ago, Mike135 said:

The way things are going I could imagine Fitz accepting/denying weekly contracts through the season.  Like, "hey I threw 3 TDs last week and Eli only threw 2... this week I want 1.5mil".

But yeah if Brady goes to the Supreme Court, that'll sure take some time.  Not sure if he will though.  It's one thing to appeal to lower courts, but the jump to SCOTUS would bring a whole 'nother level of scrutiny on him.

So I'll rephrase the questgto the slow cort system process.on.  What will happen first?  A decision whether or not the 2nd Circuit hears the appeal or our QB situation is settled?

I think Brady is going to the Supreme Court. It's the whole reason he brought in Ted Olson. I expect his en banc request to be denied, and his Supreme Court request to be denied as well. Still, the two attempts will let him play this season plus the postseason, owing to the slow court system process.

11 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Ha Maine you are betting a awful lot on "maybes" first that a team will want to spend $ this late on depth. Sure he can find a #2 spot if he takes 5 mil. But it will be on a sh*tt team.. He will more than likely look like typical garbage as he has in the past on a bad team. Without his OC wonder gailey, and the best 1-2 WR duo in nfl. And a great defense does wonders for a qb. Then when he plays bad this yr, what he did last yr will be forgotten..

You are pointing at stats, but it's one yr only over a journey career. Did you watch how bad many of his throws were ? But Marshall is an expert and helping out poor throws.. If fitz leaves, he likely is looking at backup only in what little time he has left.. You don't get many shots at qb in this league.. Only mark Sanchez.. 

He's BETTING on himself, what part of that do you not understand? Whether you believe it or not is irrelevant. He's betting on himself to make more money in FA next year. Why do you think he's willing to sign a one year deal in the first place?

2 hours ago, Mainejet said:

He's BETTING on himself, what part of that do you not understand? Whether you believe it or not is irrelevant. He's betting on himself to make more money in FA next year. Why do you think he's willing to sign a one year deal in the first place?

Lol.. No he wanted a laughable 15 -18 mil per yr.. Jets said 8.. But were willing to give him 12 next yr but spread over 3 with cap.. 24/3.. This offer was on the table for a long time. Fitz didn't want it.. His counter was " ok I will just take 12 mil for next yr " which isn't what the jets are willing to do.. Nor should they.. No one is playing him anything close to that.. 

7 hours ago, ljr said:

The important part is how they & their teams have played most recently with them in charge ... What happened a decade ago ... Or what will happen a decade from now doesn't mean squat for the NYJets in 2016

Though what you say makes sense, it seems like people believe that its the 2013/2014 Geno Smith that we'll have in 2016 while not taking into account anything else. 

Which is why im saying that its ridiculous to give Fitzpatrick all the credit for last year given the talent on the team just like its just as ridiculous to give Geno all the blame for 2013/14 given the lack of talent and coaching on those teams. 

51 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Though what you say makes sense, it seems like people believe that its the 2013/2014 Geno Smith that we'll have in 2016 while not taking into account anything else. 

Which is why im saying that its ridiculous to give Fitzpatrick all the credit for last year given the talent on the team just like its just as ridiculous to give Geno all the blame for 2013/14 given the lack of talent and coaching on those teams. 

You're responding to the wrong guy if someone was giving either of them all of the credit/blame.

QB s the most important position on the team however & I certainly give the QB the majority of the credit/blame

Wrote this somewhere else and it applies to this.

Geno.... I finally want to see a Jet QB throw it further than 30 yards during a game.
Geno.... I'm tired of wondering what this kid can do with real weapons
Geno.... $9m in savings to sign Mo.
Geno.... If we're only going to win 8 games with Fitz, I'd rather win 6 with Geno and get a top 10 pick.
Geno.... just because!

40 minutes ago, ljr said:

You're responding to the wrong guy if someone was giving either of them all of the credit/blame.

QB s the most important position on the team however & I certainly give the QB the majority of the credit/blame

The QB is the most important position on the team, sure. But like in chess the most important piece on the board could be nothing less than a victim of circumstance if the rest of the pieces have no clue what to do on the board. The QB only places for one half of the team, and Geno specifically was a rookie an 2nd year player with not a coach that any Jets fan respects in regards to their offensive knowledge...and Rex was straight incompetent on that side of the ball and he'll flat out tell you he is. 

So how much blame does Geno get here? It gets to a point where those general rules are just ridiculous given the specific circumstance. Im not saying that Geno is great, I still think that Glennon is better and Glennon has never won 8 games and his circumstance in many ways were just as impactful. At the end of the day no one can sit here with a straight face and say "Geno's 2013/14 environment was conducive for a young QB. If that was the truth then everyone would have kept their jobs. 

By my response was more directed to Ranger9 and his favoritism of Fitz while at the same time blatantly ignoring questions asked to him.

5 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Lol.. No he wanted a laughable 15 -18 mil per yr.. Jets said 8.. But were willing to give him 12 next yr but spread over 3 with cap.. 24/3.. This offer was on the table for a long time. Fitz didn't want it.. His counter was " ok I will just take 12 mil for next yr " which isn't what the jets are willing to do.. Nor should they.. No one is playing him anything close to that.. 

You're stuck in 1st gear. When you can start to comprehend "betting on yourself" come back to me. It's obvious you do not understand right now.

3 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

You're stuck in 1st gear. When you can start to comprehend "betting on yourself" come back to me. It's obvious you do not understand right now.

The probelm Fitz has is no other team is interested, so the Jets will not negotiate against themselves, nor should they.

8 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

The probelm Fitz has is no other team is interested, so the Jets will not negotiate against themselves, nor should they.

the problem macc has is his boss wants fitz, his star offensive players want fitz, and his HC would rather start me over geno

that is why there is a starter money offer on the table for 10 weeks now. 

2 minutes ago, Larz said:

the problem macc has is his boss wants fitz, his star offensive players want fitz, and his HC would rather start me over geno

that is why there is a starter money offer on the table for 10 weeks now. 

IF this were the case he would have been signed months ago 

I think they could be within 2-4 million of making a deal. I don't know if the Jets are firm with the 3-24. It looks like Fitz does not want to be tied into a 3 year contract. If the Jets insist his value is only 8 mil and refuse to sweeten that then offer him a 1-8. Considering the weak job market I think he'd end up taking it..Personally I think the Jets owe him at least 2 mil for starting last season on a 3.25 contract. They should bump it up to compensate him for that. He was hired as a backup and paid that way. 

Archived