Report: Fitzpatrick Prepared to Accept One-Year Deal From Jets

JetNation

2 hours ago, ljr said:

I believe Big Mac is simply being a shrewd GM ... He gambled on the offers Fitz would (and would not) receive ... Let him test FA ... Saw there was nothing close to what we are offering Fitz at this time ... But wants to lock him in as a fort-holder for an extra 2 years if needed to give one of the young prospects the best chance to succeed as our franchise QB in the future ... No need to offer a much different package and negotiate against ourselves. Fitz's value is that stability ... It also is significantly better performance than Geno's in 2016 or else they wouldn't have jumped through all these hoops.

as far as Fitz wanting to bet on himself ... Do you think he expects to have a significantly worse, similar, or significantly better year in 2016 than 2015? I would say reasonable people would think he expects to perform at least similarly ... If he did he wouldn't want to be locked into a situation at 6 mil per year and utilized primarily as a backup for 2017,2018  ... Maybe it is possible to add some verbiage ... If he wins a Super Bowl / certain amount of playoff games there can be some escape clause from the deal ... Otherwise we seem to be offering far & away the best deal. JMO

i agree that he needs to shelve the ego & take the best deal he's going to be offered at this point of his career ... And also think he will

To me playing hardball and trying to push a player around is not the way you negotiate a deal esp with your starting Qb. That is if you really want him to be the starter in 2016. And taking advantage of a low market this year for starting Qbs. Some years there's a lot more jobs possibly in 2017. Believe there will be repercussions for this. With Fitz and his teammates and other players in the NFL who don't respect this type of negotiation. They are watching. This could come back to bite us. Players won't want to come here. They don't like being bullied. I know some fans are applauding Mac for being tough. It's not smart and could boomerang on them esp in 2016.

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

To me playing hardball and trying to push a player around is not the way you negotiate a deal esp with your starting Qb. That is if you really want him to be the starter in 2016. And taking advantage of a low market this year for starting Qbs. Some years there's a lot more jobs possibly in 2017. Believe there will be repercussions for this. With Fitz and his teammates and other players in the NFL who don't respect this type of negotiation. They are watching. This could come back to bite us. Players won't want to come here. They don't like being bullied. I know some fans are applauding Mac for being tough. It's not smart and could boomerang on them esp in 2016.

Bullied? fitz has all the freedom in the world right now, if he can't find somebody stupid enough to pay him what he's asking then that's his own fault. I swear fitz is the only player I've ever heard of where his fans are arguing that the team should pay him more money just because they love him so much. It's really bizarre 

2 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

I hear ya

they are doing the same thing (or at least drawing out the decision until the last moment) with Mo ... Due to the leverage of Sheldon & Big Cat in hand.

IMO - when the deals are offered >90% of the players will take whichever deal gives them the most guaranteed money.

... Not considering cost of living in NY or SF vs. Carolina ... And def not passing up the best deal over hurt feelings about hardball negotiations between their agent & the front office. ... Haven't formally researched it (& some players may bolt on principle over it ... But I can't imagine it being very many who would) ... Again, JMO

your starting Qb.

You say this  ^^ in every one of your posts.  every one.  you say it like he's been the starter for years and years.  like the Jets are focking with an Aaron Rodgers or something.  I got news for you...Fitz is barely a "starting QB"  He currently doesn't even have any QB job as we speak.  And if he does sign and starts the season as a "starting QB", it may temporary.

16 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

I think when Fitz was asked by Buff to take a steep pay cut after not living up to that 59 mil contract he told them to take a hike. And they cut his ass. So he's capable of walking away from money. This time around he's worth the money. At least on a one year deal. 

Fitz walked away from money? More made up lies.

Buffalo told Fitz to take a hike, not the other way around. They offered him a restructured contract they knew perfectly well he'd never accept, since locking him in for 4 years in at a non-guaranteed $3M/year was easily worse than a 100% healthy, 30 year-old veteran like Fitz could get on the open market, even if he only found work as a backup. Buffalo's GM felt Fitz should be fighting for a backup job; he had already signed Tavaris Jackson on the cheap at $2M; with the #8 overall pick he was clearly going to draft another QB high a month later, so any "incentives" were bullsh*t and couldn't be reached (which Fitz knew and its why he didn't accept it). In other words, Buffalo's offer was no offer at all, unless they could lock him in for almost half a decade at below-market rate. 

A 30 year-old Fitz walking away from $12M over 4 years in Buffalo, in early March when he could choose from multiple offers of more money (since Buffalo's offer was so low), bears zero resemblance to a 33 year-old Fitz walking away from $24M over 3 years in June of this year, when it's the only offer anywhere close to this money, since all other teams have had their QB arrangements finished since the end of April. Particularly when it's $15M guaranteed, which in practical terms is $18M guaranteed as long as he's still upright and better than either one of Geno or Petty.

Fitz didn't walk away from money in Buffalo and he's not going to walk away from it here either. Barring injury, he's going to be the Jets' starter week 1. He's just trying to see if there's any more he could squeeze out of the team (since he won't be able to after signing), and just to be done with it he may very well be successful in doing so. Even if it's only another $250K, hey that's $250,000 he's better off with than without.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Buffalo told Fitz to take a hike, not the other way around. They offered him a restructured contract they knew perfectly well he'd never accept, since locking him in for 4 years in at a non-guaranteed $3M/year was easily worse than a 100% healthy, 30 year-old veteran like Fitz could get on the open market, even if he only found work as a backup. Buffalo's GM felt Fitz should be fighting for a backup job; he had already signed Tavaris Jackson on the cheap at $2M; with the #8 overall pick he was clearly going to draft another QB high a month later, so any "incentives" were bullsh*t and couldn't be reached (which Fitz knew and its why he didn't accept it). In other words, Buffalo's offer was no offer at all, unless they could lock him in for almost half a decade at below-market rate. 

A 30 year-old Fitz walking away from $12M over 4 years in Buffalo, in early March when he could choose from multiple offers of more money (since Buffalo's offer was so low), bears zero resemblance to a 33 year-old Fitz walking away from $24M over 3 years in June of this year, when it's the only offer anywhere close to this money, since all other teams have had their QB arrangements finished since the end of April. Particularly when it's $15M guaranteed, which in practical terms is $18M guaranteed as long as he's still upright and better than either one of Geno or Petty.

Fitz didn't walk away from money in Buffalo and he's not going to walk away from it here either. Barring injury, he's going to be the Jets' starter week 1. He's just trying to see if there's any more he could squeeze out of the team (since he won't be able to after signing), and just to be done with it he may very well be successful in doing so. Even if it's only another $250K, hey that's $250,000 he's better off with than without.

Where's the lying. Maybe on your part there is if anybody would take the enormous amount of time needed to read your one-sided posts and believe me nobody does. I said they asked him to take a steep cut and he turned it down and they cut him. As for this year we'll see if he'll sign that deal or not. It's up to him not us. I'm not making any calls on his character like you are. As far as I can see he's a good guy and a good Qb. I hope we get him back. 

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Even though the prospect of Geno behind center makes me shudder, This concept makes me really sad.  If he is a Jet, Fitz is going to lead us to an even worse outcome than last season, when he played out of his ass.  Mind you, still choking when we needed him and not making the post season.

15 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Sure he is a good guy, but he is definitely not a "good" QB.

Bottom 20% QB's in the NFL are not good QB's.

You know what they used to say: beware of white man with forked tongue. I don't know if you're white Tex but I know you'd rather face Geno than Fitz. Btw right now this weekend unfortunately I had to go to my least favorite place: Boston. I can't wait to get the F out of here. 

You know what they used to say: beware of white man with forked tongue. I don't know if you're white Tex but I know you'd rather face Geno than Fitz. Btw right now unfortunately I had to go to my least favorite place: Boston. I can't wait to get the F out of here. 

What difference dos it make if I'm black, white, purple or red?

Doesn't change the fact that Fitz is still a bottom 20% QB.

This whole Fitz vs the FO and and who's wrong and who's right, is all speculation on all of our parts.

In spite of the little "leaked " numbers that no one will confirm or deny. None of any of this is based on solid facts, it's all he said, she said, BS.

Folks believe me, if and when Fitz signs and if he starts against the strong defenses we will play this year, you may be regretting what you ask for.

To solve this whole issue with Fitz, if I were Mac this is what I would do.

I would declare right after OTA's done, that we have seen enough of Geno to feel he earned his starting role back.

I would then tell then press we would welcome Fitz back in his original role as backup, offering him 3 1/2 million a year guaranteed over the next two years.

I would throw incentives into that contract to says, if he has to start we would bring that contract to 6 1/2 million prorated down to the number of games he would have to play.

Then I would offer my appreciation and best of luck in his future if he chose not to except the offer.

I would then hold a team meeting, and tell the players they better get in sync with Geno because he's going to be the starting quarterback.

I would then tell them, if anybody has a problem with that let me know and we will do our best to work out a trade for your services. If that's not possible we expect you to shut the hell up and play football.

I hate to say this, but this is how Belicheat would handle this up in NE. An you could take it to the bank everyone would fall in line damn quick.

6 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

What difference dos it make if I'm black, white, purple or red?

Doesn't change the fact that Fitz is still a bottom 20% QB.

Doesn't matter. Forked tongue whatever. You'd love it and so would BB to face Geno and not Fitz. 

SPORTS  Gary Myers

Ultimately, Fitzpatrick’s best option may be to take the Jets’ current offer and if he plays lights-out this season, demand a new deal and then hold out if he doesn’t get it. But at least he would get $12 million this season. The Jets are bidding against themselves and likely look at the $12 million as much more than they would pay if it’s just a one-year deal. In effect, they want to lock him up for three years, but pay him market price for only one.

- Fitzpatrick cost himself millions with his fourth quarter performance in the final game in Buffalo when he threw interceptions on the last three possessions. If the Jets had won, they would have made the playoffs and played at Cincinnati in the wild-card round. After the Bengals lost to the Steelers, Marvin Lewis’ playoff record dropped to 0-7, including losses in each of the last five years. The Jets likely would have defeated the Bengals and then lost in Denver in the divisional round.

“Assuming (Fitzpatrick) played well in those games, he would have been in position to negotiate a long-term contract,” said Leigh Steinberg, who has worked out contracts for some of the most successful quarterbacks in NFL history. “He certainly would have gotten a big signing bonus and above $12 million a year.”

So, how much did Fitz cost himself?

“A significant amount,” Steinberg said. “He probably would have gotten higher interest from other teams and would have gotten the benefit of free agency. I’m not saying he would have gotten what Brock Osweiler got (four years, $72 million), but you can make the argument he would have gotten double the Jets offer of $24 million over three years.”

The Jets don’t open camp until July 27. If the Fitz Follies are still going on, it will be time for the airplane.

Warn the FAA.

To me the best solution is a one year deal the kind Gary Myers broke down in today's Daily News. The Revis type deal. If at 12 mil the cap hit in 2016 could be only 7 mil. If the Jets refuse to pay him the 12 mil it's not because of cap problems because that can be figured out. If not 12 mil than a lower figure. Even as low as 8 which is the average that Mac is offering. This gives Fitz a chance to bargain on the open market when there could be more jobs after 2016. And gives Jets their starter of preference in 2016. In other words both sides have to compromise. 

3 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

To me the best solution is a one year deal the kind Gary Myers broke down in today's Daily News. The Revis type deal. If at 12 mil the cap hit in 2016 could be only 7 mil. If the Jets refuse to pay him the 12 mil it's not because of cap problems because that can be figured out. If not 12 mil than a lower figure. Even as low as 8 which is the average that Mac is offering. This gives Fitz a chance to bargain on the open market when there could be more jobs after 2016. And gives Jets their starter of preference in 2016. In other words both sides have to compromise. 

Deals like this come back to haunt the Jets its just flat out stupid to pay Fitzpatrick anymore than $8 million a season,take it or leave it otherwise he sits on the couch 31 other NFL teams have already said NO. 

Where's the lying. Maybe on your part there is if anybody would take the enormous amount of time needed to read your one-sided posts and believe me nobody does. I said they asked him to take a steep cut and he turned it down and they cut him. As for this year we'll see if he'll sign that deal or not. It's up to him not us. I'm not making any calls on his character like you are. As far as I can see he's a good guy and a good Qb. I hope we get him back. 

He never walked away from an enormous amount of money. That is a lie. Buffalo offered him a below-market rate for a backup QB. If the Jets had him under contract for $8M/year, and then came to him and said hey we want to drop you to $3M/year (a rate they know perfectly well he'd turn down) and lock you in at that rate basically for the rest of your playing prime, if he turns that down he is not leaving money on the table. He'd be leaving money on the table if he agreed to that pay cut. So he never walked away from big money with the Bills and he's not likely to walk away from it with the Jets.

Further, I have made a grand total zero "calls on his character" ever. Another lie.

2 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Even though the prospect of Geno behind center makes me shudder, This concept makes me really sad.  If he is a Jet, Fitz is going to lead us to an even worse outcome than last season, when he played out of his ass.  Mind you, still choking when we needed him and not making the post season.

The #1 difference between Fitz 2015 and Fitz pre-2015 is the impossibly-favorable schedule. The #2 difference is the crazy pair of wideouts while playing that impossibly-favorable schedule.

Geno sucked in 2014. I just think it's funny that when he throws 3 picks on consecutive drives, in a meaningless game, it's proof of something; when Fitz does it with the entire season on the line, it's proof of nothing. lol

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

Lol, the Jets don't have to compromise at all. Fitzpatrick can sign the Jets' insulting, low-ball, completely unfair, yet best (only?) contract he's being offered, or not. 

8 minutes ago, slats said:

Lol, the Jets don't have to compromise at all. Fitzpatrick can sign the Jets' insulting, low-ball, completely unfair, yet best (only?) contract he's being offered, or not. 

slats the Jets are going to offer him more than what he's really worth because all of FitzNation says so

The #1 difference between Fitz 2015 and Fitz pre-2015 is the impossibly-favorable schedule. The #2 difference is the crazy pair of wideouts while playing that impossibly-favorable schedule.

Don't forget that 15 out of 16 games he played last year the weather was 50+ degrees with winds less than 10 MPH.

That will not happen this year, especially with all the Jets late season night games.

2 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Don't forget that 15 out of 16 games he played last year the weather was 50+ degrees with winds less than 10 MPH.

That will not happen this year, especially with all the Jets late season night games.

TX more favorable was the fact we only beat 2 teams with winning records and the schedule favored the Jets new season tougher schedule. 

TX more favorable was the fact we only beat 2 teams with winning records and the schedule favored the Jets new season tougher schedule. 

Yea, but he played in perfect weather conditions all year except the last game in Buffalo, and even that was mild for Buffalo in January.

slats is the only other poster who has pointed this out.

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

He never walked away from an enormous amount of money. That is a lie. Buffalo offered him a below-market rate for a backup QB. If the Jets had him under contract for $8M/year, and then came to him and said hey we want to drop you to $3M/year (a rate they know perfectly well he'd turn down) and lock you in at that rate basically for the rest of your playing prime, if he turns that down he is not leaving money on the table. He'd be leaving money on the table if he agreed to that pay cut. So he never walked away from big money with the Bills and he's not likely to walk away from it with the Jets.

Further, I have made a grand total zero "calls on his character" ever. Another lie.

Look I'm not interesting in battling with you about nonsense. I never said he turned down a great amount of money. I said he refused a steep cut by the Bills. I also previously mentioned that he never got the 59, it was around 17 or so. He obviously didn't play up to the contract. He did last year and imo should be compensated for it.

2 hours ago, slats said:

We'll see if it's the best offer when there's a demand for starting Qbs. Right now there isn't. But that could change very quickly. 

36 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

We'll see if it's the best offer when there's a demand for starting Qbs. Right now there isn't. But that could change very quickly. 

There is ALWAYS a demand for starting QBs.  If one is available, teams go after him.

19 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

There is ALWAYS a demand for starting QBs.  If one is available, teams go after him.

None are available strange thing 31 other NFL teams are saying Fitzpatrick who?  

FitzNation is so infatuated with a career journeyman who has never made the playoffs I just dont get it. 

26 minutes ago, Flushing Roots said:

The longer he holds out, the stronger the animosity becomes.

He needs to sh*t or get off the pot NOW.

Better would be if the NY Jets issue statement saying they are moving forward without Ryan Fitzpatrick. 

The Ryan Fitzpatrick Nightmare is a throwback to the days before free agency when players either signed with their team or didn’t show up. Fitz is a free agent with no place to go.

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

There is plenty of demand for starting QB's. Did you see the crazy contracts this offseason? The ones that fitz is jealous of? The teams trading multiple years of draft picks to move up to the first two picks? There's no demand for ryan fitzpatrick, except for a few delusional fanboys

53 minutes ago, cant wait said:

There is plenty of demand for starting QB's. Did you see the crazy contracts this offseason? The ones that fitz is jealous of? The teams trading multiple years of draft picks to move up to the first two picks? There's no demand for ryan fitzpatrick, except for a few delusional fanboys

Fanboys/FitzNation 

guido-christmas-terrible-tans.jpg

Archived