Report: Fitzpatrick Prepared to Accept One-Year Deal From Jets

JetNation

2 hours ago, Mike135 said:

There is ALWAYS a demand for starting QBs.  If one is available, teams go after him.

Name a team who isn't committed to a starting Qb at this time. There are a few teams like Denver, SF and the Rams with Qb competitions. And the Rams just took a Qb as the overall no. 1 pick. But name one other than us who doesn't have a starter signed. And based what we read the Jets don't want Geno Smith and who would.

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

Name a team who isn't committed to a starting Qb at this time. There are a few teams like Denver, SF and the Rams with Qb competitions. And the Rams just took a Qb as the overall no. 1 pick. But name one other than us who doesn't have a starter signed. And based what we read the Jets don't want Geno Smith and who would.

I'm not immediately familiar with every teams' QB situation.  But I'd say it's a safe bet all 31 teams have better options than Fitz to start.  Actually all 32 do.

So to me that means Fitz isn't a starter.  If he was better than any other team's expected starter, Fitz would have received some offers.  He hasn't.

25 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

So why arent they signing Fitz the great? 

20 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

I'm not immediately familiar with every teams' QB situation.  But I'd say it's a safe bet all 31 teams have better options than Fitz to start.  Actually all 32 do.

So to me that means Fitz isn't a starter.  If he was better than any other team's expected starter, Fitz would have received some offers.  He hasn't.

That's your assumption. Mine is that this year it's a closed market for starting Qbs. Usually there are more jobs. I don't know what figure Fitz would ultimately accept. Just because the Jets is the best offer at this time doesn't mean you have to take it. I don't think he's taking that 3 year deal but maybe he'd take a one year deal for like 8 mil so he can be a FA in 2017. If he plays well for the Jets he could maybe get a better long term deal with another team. 

Yea, but he played in perfect weather conditions all year except the last game in Buffalo, and even that was mild for Buffalo in January.

slats is the only other poster who has pointed this out.

Ahem, so did I. Rangers9 seems to think that doesn't matter, nor does his popgun arm in the wind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

34 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

So why arent they signing Fitz the great? 

Fitz could sign in a minute. A deal is on the table. Sure if the Jets want they can pull that offer off the table at any time. It's obvious the Jets don't want Geno as the starter. It's over money and years and control. It remains to be seen if it'll get done. 

12 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Fitz could sign in a minute. A deal is on the table. Sure if the Jets want they can pull that offer off the table at any time. It's obvious the Jets don't want Geno as the starter. It's over money and years and control. It remains to be seen if it'll get done. 

I mean not only the Jets why arent other teams signing Fitzpatrick. 

10 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Look I'm not interesting in battling with you about nonsense. I never said he turned down a great amount of money. I said he refused a steep cut by the Bills. I also previously mentioned that he never got the 59, it was around 17 or so. He obviously didn't play up to the contract. He did last year and imo should be compensated for it.

You said he left money on the table, with the idea that it's similar to the current situation. He did not leave money on the table back then. Buffalo offered him $3M/year, which is lower than he could get as a backup. In contrast, the Jets are offering him nearly triple that amount despite his shorter shelf life going forward. He can't get as high or higher elsewhere. 

If the Jets offered Fitz $2M/year for 5 years, and he turned it down, would he be leaving money on the table? No. Because he could get more than that from multiple places, and even if he couldn't, it's likely he would think he could, so from his POV he's leaving nothing on the table. Therefore, leaving money on the table is a lie, and making up nonsense like saying I'm calling out his character is yet another lie. 

It's also idiotic for a GM to compensate a player for past performance.

5 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

It is also obvious they are comfortable with the possibility of Fitz not being the starter. Otherwise they would pay more for him.

12 minutes ago, Maxman said:

It is also obvious they are comfortable with the possibility of Fitz not being the starter. Otherwise they would pay more for him.

NOT true. Listen, they are playing this out the best way they know how. Fitz will sign with the Jets. Unless Fitz plans on doing something completely radical, he will sign a one year deal with the Jets.

If Mac loses out on Fitz and ends up going with Geno? Do not be surprised if Mac's job is almost immediately in jeopardy. The entire fan base knows what kind of sh*t bag Geno Smith is. If Geno starts and starts pulling dumb sh*t with the football? The fans will remember that Fitz played very well in 2015. They'll know the importance of having a good QB and that Mac passed it over. That's all they may need to go off on the front office. Mac and Bowles jobs could be in serious jeopardy. At the very least, a lot of criticism would ultimately come to Mac for missing out on Fitz. Criticsm now could lead to his dismissal later.

2 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

NOT true. Listen, they are playing this out the best way they know how. Fitz will sign with the Jets. Unless Fitz plans on doing something completely radical, he will sign a one year deal with the Jets.

If Mac loses out on Fitz and ends up going with Geno? Do not be surprised if Mac's job is almost immediately in jeopardy. The entire fan base knows what kind of sh*t bag Geno Smith is. If Geno starts and starts pulling dumb sh*t with the football? The fans will remember that Fitz played very well in 2015. They'll know the importance of having a good QB and that Mac passed it over. That's all they may need to go off on the front office. Mac and Bowles jobs could be in serious jeopardy. At the very least, a lot of criticism would ultimately come to Mac for missing out on Fitz. Criticsm now could lead to his dismissal later.

Mac is doing the right thing by not overpaying for marginal talent (Fitz). Because of that stance he is at risk of losing him.

The only way Mac puts his job in jeopardy right now is by caving and giving in contract wise to Fitz.

I run a Jets site so I spend a lot of time thinking about what people think about topics. Jets fans are not 100% in support of Fitz. Nowhere close to it. We get a ton of posts and messages sent to us calling Fitz a bum, much like you just called Geno.

You lost me on how Bowles would be in immediate jeopardy for letting Fitz go. The Jets went WAY OUT OF THEIR WAY to make it clear that:

Bowles coaches the players Mac gives him. Bowles reports to Woody. Mac reports to Woody. So....Bowles has no control over this situation.

53 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Ok so we'll see how that plays out. And if they let him walk. Because there's no better Qb available for the Jets for 2016 unless they are confident in Geno or think that Fitz isn't an upgrade. Geno comes a lot cheaper. Or they can go right to Hackenberg. 

7 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Ok so we'll see how that plays out. And if they let him walk. Because there's no better Qb available for the Jets for 2016 unless they are confident in Geno or think that Fitz isn't an upgrade. Geno comes a lot cheaper. Or they can go right to Hackenberg. 

They can also trade for another if it comes to that. Just because no one is sitting out there in free agency doesn't mean a player isn't available.

Last season exhibit A = Brandon Marshall

Last season exhibit B = Ryan Fitzpatrick

40 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

That is  a laughable presumption..Woody Johnson is obviously not a Fitzpatrick fanboy like some. Otherwise he could easily walk in Mac's office and said "geterdone" mac isn't going anywhere even if we go with geno and he falters.. But if fitz is half as smart as his fanboys claim, he is going to take whatever the jets as offering.. He has no other option.

30 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Well they are probably bothered by Fitz's week 17 performance. If he had a good game the Jets make the playoffs and this conversation is different.

But right now they go into the season knowing that Rex owned Fitz and that is 2 games a year. Big concern. That is a big reason why Forte is here but it is also a big reason why they aren't willing to pay Fitz what he thinks he deserves.

21 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

They can also trade for another if it comes to that. Just because no one is sitting out there in free agency doesn't mean a player isn't available.

Fitz is on trial here so he can't also be Exhibit B. Put him on the witness stand if you want the jury to hear his testimony; otherwise I have no choice but to throw it out.

:)

9 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Sure that's  possible too. They could make a trade for a guy like McCown, but you would think Cleveland would want to hold onto him. There are others too in the backup category who have some starting experience. I mean Mac had a chance to sign a few of these guys and passed on them. But no true;experienced starting Qb is currently available. It looks like next man up is Geno. btw in Fitz's favor: he knows how to run this offense. And although maybe not an A list Qb he had success last year with the Gailey O. To Fitz's detriment: my assumption is that Mac has consulted with his coaching staff on this. And this includes Gailey. Maybe Gailey told him he thinks they could run it successfully without Fitz. 

Sure that's  possible too. They could make a trade for a guy like McCown, but you would think Cleveland would want to hold onto him. There are others too in the backup category who have some starting experience. I mean Mac had a chance to sign a few of these guys and passed on them. But no true ;experienced starting Qb is currently  available. It looks like next man up is Geno. btw in Fitz's favor: he knows how to run this offense. And although maybe not an A list Qb he had success last year with the Gailey O. To Fitz's detriment: my assumption is that Mac has consulted with his coaching staff on this. And this includes Gailey. Maybe Gailey told him he thinks they could run it successfully without Fitz. 

Yes, but at the time he was looking for a starter - even if it's only a temporary starter, he has to stay upright for longer than Hoyer's 10 minutes - not merely veteran depth. Further, Fitz was the team's incumbent starter, and the only other veterans were either Hoyer-like or total finger-crossers like RGIII or the far more expensive Osweiler. Next, at that time this offseason it was still before the draft. Twice Maccagnan tried trading up into the top 2 and failed. Failing doesn't mean he "passed on" a non-Fitz option. And lastly, from the Town Hall last week, he inadvertently hinted he may be looking in this direction anyway at some point. 

8 hours ago, Maxman said:

Well they are probably bothered by Fitz's week 17 performance. If he had a good game the Jets make the playoffs and this conversation is different.

But right now they go into the season knowing that Rex owned Fitz and that is 2 games a year. Big concern. That is a big reason why Forte is here but it is also a big reason why they aren't willing to pay Fitz what he thinks he deserves.

Well then maybe Fitz will back off on the 12 mil. And agree to a one year deal for less money. Even maybe 8 mil. This would free him to leave the Jets in 2017. If he plays well he can get his own better deal somewhere else. If not he loses money. That is if this is what he wants. So if the average is 8 per season then give him one year for 8 and then goodbye. I think that would be fair to both sides. IMO though he should get more than 8 maybe ten with incentives. It also would reward him for playing way above his contract last season when he was basically hired as a backup and started. I think he should get a bonus for that but it seems the Jets don't feel that way.

Well then maybe Fitz will back off on the 12 mil. And agree to a one year deal for less money. Even maybe 8 mil. This would free him to leave the Jets in 2017. If he plays well he can get his own better deal somewhere else. If not he loses money. That is if this is what he wants. So if the average is 8 per season then give him  one year for 8 and then goodbye. I think that would be fair to both sides. IMO though he should get more than 8 maybe ten with incentives. It also would reward him for playing way above his contract last season when he was basically hired as a backup and started. I think he should get a bonus for that but it seems the Jets don't feel that way.

Incentives would need to be tied to team success (with him starting), though, not his personal stats. The whole point of paying more than backup rates for a game-manager is to make sure a bad QB doesn't foil the team's playoff appearance. 

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yes, but at the time he was looking for a starter - even if it's only a temporary starter, he has to stay upright for longer than Hoyer's 10 minutes - not merely veteran depth. Further, Fitz was the team's incumbent starter, and the only other veterans were either Hoyer-like or total finger-crossers like RGIII or the far more expensive Osweiler. Next, at that time this offseason it was still before the draft. Twice Maccagnan tried trading up into the top 2 and failed. Failing doesn't mean he "passed on" a non-Fitz option. And lastly, from the Town Hall last week, he inadvertently hinted he may be looking in this direction anyway at some point. 

He could have chosen at that time a starter but it looks like he's willing to wait on Fitz. He said he wants Fitz back and according to rumors the org feels that Fitz will eventually sign. Maybe they have inside info or this is based on their conversations with his agent. I don't think they are helping the team letting this stretch on this late. Although Geno is getting important reps and learning first hand how to run the offense. I think if no Fitz signing they will go with Geno. 

3 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Well then maybe Fitz will back off on the 12 mil. And agree to a one year deal for less money. Even maybe 8 mil. This would free him to leave the Jets in 2017. If he plays well he can get his own better deal somewhere else. If not he loses money. That is if this is what he wants. So if the average is 8 per season then give him one year for 8 and then goodbye. I think that would be fair to both sides. IMO though he should get more than 8 maybe ten with incentives. It also would reward him for playing way above his contract last season when he was basically hired as a backup and started. I think he should get a bonus for that but it seems the Jets don't feel that way.

3 years \ 24 million is what I think he is worth. Guarantee half of it and let's go.

4 minutes ago, Maxman said:

3 years \ 24 million is what I think he is worth. Guarantee half of it and let's go.

Well we'll see what happens. I don't see any reason for doing a 3 year deal if he's willing to take the average or 8 mil for 2016. I think he should get more. If the Jets won't compromise on that I'll don't think he'll sign it. I'm also kind of concerned about collusion by other teams. Cooperating with each other to keep salaries lower. Just my opinion. 

3 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Well we'll see what happens. I don't see any reason for doing a 3 year deal if he's willing to take the average or 8 mil for 2016. I think he should get more. If the Jets won't compromise on that I'll don't think he'll sign it. I'm also kind of concerned about collusion by other teams. Cooperating with each other to keep salaries lower. Just my opinion. 

I am not seeing collusion. I think Fitz's so\so track record is what kept the other teams away. Brock O and Sam Bradford got insane contracts. If teams think the potential is there, they will pay.

10 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

There's no collusion. The Jets are offering Fitzpatrick more money than any other team thinks he's worth. End of story. 

6 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I am not seeing collusion. I think Fitz's so\so track record is what kept the other teams away. Brock O and Sam Bradford got insane contracts. If teams think the potential is there, they will pay.

I'm not saying collusion but I think it exists in the NFL. There are players who've been blackballed for various reasons like Ray Rice. I also think that after we cut Tim Tebow it was strange that he couldn't even get a tryout for a long period of time. As for salaries they are relatively low in the NFL compared to other sports. 

Archived