Report: Fitzpatrick Prepared to Accept One-Year Deal From Jets

JetNation

4 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

The 400% you quote is over a low ball back up contract. And the guy last year was the starter for all 16 games. And performed well as a starting Qb. There are no other offers yet because no jobs at this time all except one filled. That's no reason to try to squeeze the guy. It's stupid for a few mil to alienate a guy you want to lead the team. If they don't want him back then say so and go forward. They could have signed other Qbs. But they know that nobody else runs that offense or works with these players as well as him. 

It's 400%+ more than anyone else offered your boy.  

Hes 33 and he's here for one more year.  That's it.  They're not overpaying him, no matter how many times you call the only offer he's got a low ball offer.  Or worse, proof of collusion 

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

He didn't ask for an Osweiler contract. He'll settle for a one year 12 mil deal which is low starters money. Probably in this market he'll take less and then leave after 2016. 

How do you know what he asked for?  You ignore every report and just spew what you think, want or hope as fact.

Mixed in with nonsense like you collusion theory.  One of you more misgotten attempt at figuring out what's going on.  But thanks for lecturing me on knowing how it works, lol. 

Of course he'll take a 1 year 12 mil contract.  But Macc isn't offering him that deal. He'd be dumb to do it.  

12 mil isn't less, damn you're stubborn.  He's lucky Macc didn't really him at under 4 mil, as per his contract.  He offered 12 with the 2nd and 3rd years that soften the blow, not to do charity work and give Fitz 12 mil.  

15 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

I don't think it's a stretch to say that owners might be colluding with each other to lower salaries. To think the opposite is the stretch. Or that it's a CT to say that the same guys or types of guys in the NFL are rigging the economy. But their argument that the guy doesn't deserve even close to market because of no better offers has a lot of holes. Like there are no job openings at present for one. But your comments on Woody are spot on. Mac is only the conduit. And a poor one at that. 

My general view is that Woody is not really in tune shall we say with other owners.  He does what he does all by himself.  That's his track record.  If he is in on deciding how the negotiations with Fitzpatrick are going, which I HOPE is not the case but, as I mentioned, he certainly has a history of doing, then most likely he is acting on his own.  That doesn't mean there's no collusion in the league, or that there is, obviously.  I just don't see Woody as someone who is part of some group of owners.  I don't think the other owners think he's smart or knowledgeable.  Because he isn't.

6 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

It seems like the real problem is that the Jets have limited 2016 cap space to allocate to Fitz, which is why they need to take the deal past 1 year.  Can't give Fitz $12 milion of cap space this year.

I heard that theory elsewhere, and it is plausible.  But what I don't get is why it wouldn't require the Jets to give something up in order to get Fitzpatrick under contract for another year or two.

24 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

I heard that theory elsewhere, and it is plausible.  But what I don't get is why it wouldn't require the Jets to give something up in order to get Fitzpatrick under contract for another year or two.

Thanks to the Revis signing they don't have very much cap space. It's their own fault. But there are ways to structure a one year deal and for some reason they just don't want to do it. Here is one way of doing it: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/myers-article-1.2661287

As for collusion by owners being a CT it's not anyone's pipe dream. Is it true concerning this Fitz situation I don't really know. One poster said why would the NFL want to collude over Fitz basically insinuating that he isn't a good enough player to rig salaries for. Obviously it's not just him. Here's some info on the union questioning collusion on salaries a few years ago when agents complained that players were not getting top deals. I think that season only one player, Mike Wallace got an over 10 mil contract. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/03/league-union-disagree-on-collusion/ and http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--demaurice-smith-asks-agents-for-help-in-trying-to-prove-collusion-amongst-nfl-teams-012307753.html

Archived