Report: Fitzpatrick Prepared to Accept One-Year Deal From Jets

JetNation

8 minutes ago, Powpow said:

Its not hard to put together a good practice in shorts and a don't touch my jaw red shirt. 

It's a moot point anyway since fitz is going to be given the job. I still think they keep geno as a backup since fitz is likely to get injured at some point 

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, ylekram said:

somebody here is going to be wrong

Yup...great thing for media nowadays is that fans have 20 minute attention span.  Somebody will be dead wrong, and nobody will remember who it was.

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Get it done. End the charade. Do it all again next year. 

Fitz won't be pulling the same stunts next year without the creampuff schedule to pad his stats with. although I'm sure you'll have plenty of excuses for that charlatan anyway

The jets have no choice.. Why would they offer him 12 mil guaranteed for next yr and only 6 next two ? That'd retarded.. They are willing to pay him 12 to start next yr but only if he takes backup $ the next two ? lol..  This 1 yr deal should have been agreed on a long time ago.. Fitz isn't good enough to earn a long term deal. But he should get the chance to prove it on the field that last yr wasn't a fluke.. If he improves on last yr maybe he gets a 1 yr deal for 15 mil from the jets in 17

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Pretty sure you posted the game thread against Buffalo week 17.  I've never forgiven you for that.  

/sarc

I went 8 and 3 with the game threads last year.  8 and 3.  People keep trying to replace me but then the Jets lose.

:)

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

LOL @ everyone not in favor of this deal. 

1. Fitz, without a doubt, gives us the best chance to win football games. 

2. It's a 1-year deal. Will not hurt us in the future financially. 

3. Geno sucks dick. 

1. Vs < .500 teams?
  2. Considering we don't have any cap space now, basically all of the 12mil will come from next year's cap.
  3. Better than eating one I suppose...
2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

He's not worth the $12 million dollar cap hit. He can go eat a dick.

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

They'll do it.

Doubt they bump the offer up from 8mil. The 12mil first year salary is a misleading figure. The only reason it's 12 is cuz Fitz wanted 12 n jets wanted to pay 8. So they said "ok, 12 first year, 6 each the next two". There's a difference. Plus Jets don't wanna be in this stalemate next year again. They want some security as a backup. 

19 minutes ago, Mike135 said:
  1. Vs < .500 teams?
  2. Considering we don't have any cap space now, basically all of the 12mil will come from next year's cap.
  3. Better than eating one I suppose...

Oh god, nailed it!

12 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Doubt they bump the offer up from 8mil. The 12mil first year salary is a misleading figure. The only reason it's 12 is cuz Fitz wanted 12 n jets wanted to pay 8. So they said "ok, 12 first year, 6 each the next two". There's a difference. Plus Jets don't wanna be in this stalemate next year again. They want some security as a backup. 

I hear what you're saying but let's examine how stupid the jets thinking is with that. " we are prepared to give you $12 to start next yr but only if you commit to being a back up the next two " lol.. We can find a much cheaper option than $6 as a backup next yr or after.. Petty may be ready to be #2.. One and done with fitz 

1 minute ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

I hear what you're saying but let's examine how stupid the jets thinking is with that. " we are prepared to give you $12 to start next yr but only if you commit to being a back up the next two " lol.. We can find a much cheaper option than $6 as a backup next yr or after.. Petty may be ready to be #2.. One and done with fitz 

Again, you're more focused on the annual breakdown rather than the entire contract. 3 years deal with $6mil salary each year plus $6 mil signing bonus. The signing bonus, in theory, is for the entire contract, that's why it's allocated over all the years. His cap charge for each year in this case would be $8 mil.

Which backup makes $8mil a year?

9 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

The only thing stupid about the offer is that it involves Fitz most likely starting for a year.  But the 1st year @12mil only makes sense if he'll take 6 the remaining two years to lower the per season hit to 8mil.

There's no freakin' way Macc is gonna raise the cap hit this year by 50% while also losing the two seasons that Fitz would actually play the role he's best for (aka backup).

I still don't think Fitz is worth more than 5mil, but based on the numbers and terms reported so far, I'd guess if a 1 year deal gets done, it'll be for 9mil.

In a previous thread I opined that this QB stuff was starting to feel circus like but I can now retract that.  Mac is negotiating like a pro and my faith has been full restored.  I now believe that whatever the outcome, it'll be best for the team's present+future.    

No, they gave him 12m in year one only if they could spread the cap hit over 3years. That deal may have put 12m in Fitz's pocket year one, but it wound not have cost the Jets 12m in year 1. If they sign Fitz to a 1 year deal it will likely be for more like 8m

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Yup,  I just didn't want the Jets to cave.  A 1 year deal is a great situation for the Jets.  Even if he plays great again,  he's not going to warrant huge interest next year either.  

The real value for the Jets is having him for all 3 yrs.

They would have been able to give a large SB and spread it out over 3 yrs. and have a quality backup once Geno leaves.

Now they are facing a $12m cap hit this yr when they can't even sign their 1st round pick.

The ball is now squarely in Maccagnan's court.

What a freakin' drama!

this guy has some set of balls.

the jets made a fair offer and nobody else is interested. he just decides that he will take a 1 year 12 m deal that isn't even on the table. that's the same as a 3 year 36m deal....what he really wants.

anyway just sign him up to keep the peace. it will be funny if he goes down and geno finishes up the season and plays his best ball right before he becomes a FA

7 hours ago, Mike135 said:

12 mil for Fitz?

lmfao...

Mike, Mike, Mike...  This made me search for the full Robin Williams bit on how the Scottish invented the game of golf.  One of the funniest bits ever. Haven't seen it since his suicide.   The world of comedy sorely misses him.  For any golfers tired of all this Fitz sh*tz, take a few minutes off and smile:

Archived