Report: Fitzpatrick Prepared to Accept One-Year Deal From Jets

JetNation

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

Going in with Fitzpatrick and not having a successful season isnt hardly far-fetched as well. Either way he'll have the opportunity to see Hackenberg because he'll be here. 

Personally I dont think that his job is attached to Hackenberg either. Hack is a 2nd round pick, not a high first. What I like about Macc is that he understands that there needs to be a balance. Not just a defensive minded team with all of the top guys on that side of the ball. Sure, failing with Geno isnt far-fetched, but failing with Geno while not providing him with anything on that side of the ball, purging the team and having a bottom 12 defense is pretty much a certainty, not just for Geno, but it would have been for Fitz and it would be for Hackenberg. 

Macc is providing talent. Doing that can produce results and build confidence, something that this team has not had since 2009/10. The problem then is that they werent hitting on draft picks for replenishment. 

You are really misreading me. I don't know where you got the idea that I think it's far-fetched to have an unsuccessful season with Fitzpatrick. I'm saying that will be the narrative if Fitzpatrick is not signed and the Jets whiff with Geno.

I think you're overestimating perception about other draft picks if he's perceived to have missed so gloriously at QB. Particularly if it's framed as though he missed an easy layup with Fitzpatrick, which I predict is exactly how it will be framed.

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

The problem with Fitz this year if he leaves is getting a chance to play somewhere else. He can get a contract for sure but most of the starting jobs in 2016 are accounted for. That could change. Some years there are more openings but younger Qbs have played well and won the jobs. The Fitz haters keep saying there is no demand for him so he has to take Mac's offer love it or leave it. This isn't the way you negotiate a contract esp with your starting Qb. You don't try to box him in a corner and say take it or leave it. It defeats the entire purpose of signing him in the first place which is to successfully lead your team. It also gives a message to his teammates. 

What you continue to not get is that Maccagnan and the Jets do not view Fitzpatrick as a starter, they view him as a stopgap/mentor. That's it. 

And the $6M + incentives in 2017 and 2018 is generous. If he refuses to sign the deal the Jets have offered, I'd be surprised if he got anything close to that next year. It's a very good offer, and he's being foolish by not signing. $15M guaranteed? Let's see if he makes that much over the rest of his career should he pass up this contract. 

This is not a great compromise. The Jets don;t want to do this. I'm, not sure they can AFFORD to do this. Its a 12mil cap hit. It's not at all what Mac had in mind with the 3yr offer. This deal leans in Fitz's favor. He get 12mil this year. If he has another good year, he cashes in next year. If he has an off year, well, he can probably still get a backup job equaling to the same money (or more) he would have gotten in year 2-3 of his proposed 3yr contract with the Jets.

If he has a good year, the Jets paid 12mil and will have to go through this again and probably pay more to keep him. If he has a bad year, they are rid of him in year 2 but they just paid 12mil for a bad QB. 

Its a compromise, just not one that really favors the Jets - WHO HAVE ALL THE LEVERAGE.

Bad deal. The whole point of MAc's 3yr offer was so he could move around the money to escape cap hell. I would not do it. I want to see what Geno can do this season with a good team and a year to sit and learn the offense. In comparison, he is SO cheap, its worth the gamble.  

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

You are really misreading me. I don't know where you got the idea that I think it's far-fetched to have an unsuccessful season with Fitzpatrick. I'm saying that will be the narrative if Fitzpatrick is not signed and the Jets whiff with Geno.

I think you're overestimating perception about other draft picks if he's perceived to have missed so gloriously at QB. Particularly if it's framed as though he missed an easy layup with Fitzpatrick, which I predict is exactly how it will be framed.

Im not misleading you, I didnt say that you had any idea regarding Fitz and an unsuccessful season. Im simply saying that you only know what you have once you play them. Being able to put the QB who you play in the best position to succeed is how you develop. 

I feel like you're reading my words then coming to conclusions before you even finish reading and are just responding based on your notion. Go back and read what I said. I spoke about putting players in position to succeed in comparison to putting them in position to fail. 

10 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Its about results, not perception. Sanchez could have been a bust, but that didnt mean that just about every other first round and 2nd round, and 3rd round picks had to be busts too. His management skills were terrible along with his drafting skills. 

And he could say his management skills were good enough to build a team that was a better QB away from a champion, and he'd have legs to stand on with that argument even if you personally disagree.

I'm not defending Tannenbaum; I'm saying what chiefly got him fired was whiffing badly on his QB and locking himself into that move by double-downing on him, because doing so greatly influences the results of the team around him. In the end, he didn't get fired for any other reason no matter what other shortcomings he had as a GM.

8 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Go for what? I don't think Fitzpatrick makes us a playoff team, and certainly not a SB team that's going to win back-to-back-back playoff games against the AFC's best. Further, your idea of going for it in 2016 also makes things that much less likely for 2017 because he will be fully paid with 2017 cap dollars. 

Well, I disagree with you. I think we have a good chance to make the playoffs in 2016 (with Fitz) and should go for it. We are coming off of a good season where our offense for the first time in a long time worked. Kept our D off of the field and generally played very well. There are cap solutions for the 12 mil and to me it's unfair to the player to basically make him sign a 3 year deal that he doesn't want to sign. If Ryan is our Qb in 2016 you want him to be ok with the organization. I think Fitz is offering a fair compromise. Sure he'd rather have a guaranteed deal. And in the long run the Jets can save money if they decide to cut ties with him after 2016.

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

And he could say his management skills were good enough to build a team that was a better QB away from a champion, and he'd have legs to stand on with that argument even if you personally disagree.

I'm not defending Tannenbaum; I'm saying what chiefly got him fired was whiffing badly on his QB and locking himself into that move by double-downing on him, because doing so greatly influences the results of the team around him. In the end, he didn't get fired for any other reason.

Yet during that time that QB was a rookie and 2nd year player and both years was in the AFCCG. A GM's job isnt to live in the past. His job is to keep things sustainable which he didnt do. That team deteriorated around the young QB and the GM did nothing to stop the bleeding and the coaching staff werent competent enough to figure out how to make lemonade out of lemons. 

I know you're not defending tannenbaum, but what you're saying isnt correct, he didnt get fired for whiffing on a QB. He got fired because he was in charge of a team that completely crumbled. 

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

And this is the answer. The way Maccagnan has handled Fitzpatrick suggests he doesn't think that much of Fitzpatrick. Well why offer him anything then? Because if he loses with Geno his job is in serious jeopardy unless Hackenberg (or Petty, I suppose) shows something promising very shortly thereafter, and possibly this season. If Hackenberg doesn't start a game until next year and has a rough first season, after going with Geno for the full prior season, he's gone.

I give him credit for seeing what happened to Idzik (all his other mishaps would have been forgiven - and perhaps even rationalized - if Geno panned out). If he plans for 2-3 seasons from now he'd better have an 8 year guaranteed contract or be a lifelong Jets fan, because otherwise he won't be the GM who gets to reap the benefit of prior investments.

You are 100% correct Sperm. I have thought about this long and hard. Really you have to look at the landscape of this season as it plays into what could potentially play out.

1) The Jets schedule in 2016 is a very hard one. There's a ton of scenarios where you can see the Jets finish below .500. I specifically have the Jets finishing with about 6 wins at max.

You have to think that automatically a losing season would be making fans unhappy. If the fans perceive Geno as EXASERBATING the losing situation? They will automatically make the leap and start blaming Mike MacCagnan. WHO spurned Fitz and his contract demands? WHO opted to go with Geno Smith? WHO ignored players like Eric Decker and Brandon Marshall when they have made so many public calls for the Jets to resign Fitz?

The fans would not blame Mac if he resigns Fitz and the team still suffers through a losing season because they know at least Mac went down with the BEST players on the field. If Mac goes with Geno, he has left himself open to huge amounts of criticism to the point where they may decide Mike is just another John Idzik.

NY fans do not have loyalty. NY is the very epitome of "what have you done for me lately". Mac winning executive of the year would have no bearing on saving Mac's career if the fans are that upset. They would excuse his award as "well, anyone can win executive of the year when you have 50 million to spend".

So like I posted already, you are 100% correct Sperm. Do NOT underestimate the power of this fan base and the season ticket holders. They KNOW they just saw a QB play well for the team in 2015. If Mac lets that get away, the fans could very possibly turn on him.

10 minutes ago, slats said:

What you continue to not get is that Maccagnan and the Jets do not view Fitzpatrick as a starter, they view him as a stopgap/mentor. That's it. 

And the $6M + incentives in 2017 and 2018 is generous. If he refuses to sign the deal the Jets have offered, I'd be surprised if he got anything close to that next year. It's a very good offer, and he's being foolish by not signing. $15M guaranteed? Let's see if he makes that much over the rest of his career should he pass up this contract. 

Look if you start all the games you are the starter. If Mac doesn't want him to be the starter past 2016 then give him a one year deal. He doesn't want to sign a deal to be the future backup. 

2 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Im not misleading you, I didnt say that you had any idea regarding Fitz and an unsuccessful season. Im simply saying that you only know what you have once you play them. Being able to put the QB who you play in the best position to succeed is how you develop. 

I feel like you're reading my words then coming to conclusions before you even finish reading and are just responding based on your notion. Go back and read what I said. I spoke about putting players in position to succeed in comparison to putting them in position to fail. 

I said misreading not misleading

You are confusing what I think public perception would be as though it was my own personal take on things. ("Going in with Fitzpatrick and not having a successful season isnt hardly far-fetched" -- I never said it was; rather, that's how it would play out in the media and among many/most fans who think he's far better than he is). 

If he goes with Geno and loses, he kind of has to hit on Hackenberg (or someone else) very shortly thereafter. If he passes up on a very available Fitz, then goes in with Geno and loses, then loses with Hackenberg after getting killed by many for over-drafting Hackenberg in the first place, he's going to have job security problems no matter what else you may like about the rest of his drafting. 

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

Well, I disagree with you. I think we have a good chance to make the playoffs in 2016 (with Fitz) and should go for it. We are coming off of a good season where our offense for the first time in a long time worked. Kept our D off of the field and generally played very well.

I am totally shocked

There are cap solutions for the 12 mil and to me it's unfair to the player to basically make him sign a 3 year deal that he doesn't want to sign. If Ryan is our Qb in 2016 you want him to be ok with the organization.

What??? :rl: 

Make him sign??? He doesn't have to sign jack sh*t. If he was a better QB he'd be signed already, and his base price would be in excess of what's being offered as incentives.  If he is our QB in 2016, in excess of $10M for the season, he has a lot to show the organization, not the other way around. 

I think Fitz is offering a fair compromise. Sure he'd rather have a guaranteed deal. And in the long run the Jets can save money if they decide to cut ties with him after 2016.

It doesn't matter what you think because what you think is ludicrous. No offense. ;) 

I think most Jets fans expect to win this coming year. I've looked at the schedule and it's ok not insurmountable. If we're a good team we should be competitive.  And you never know which team is going to get better and be a surprise team and what supposed good team is going to regress. It's time for Mac to sign the starting Qb and go forward. It's not a good situation for the entire team. Give him the one year contract and if he's good again make him an offer. If he's mediocre like some of our fans predict then you are free and clear. There are no guarantees for any player. Albert Pujols signed a mega deal and has been ok but not great. 

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You are confusing what I think public perception would be as though it was my own personal take on things. ("Going in with Fitzpatrick and not having a successful season isnt hardly far-fetched" -- I never said it was; rather, that's how it would play out in the media and among many/most fans who think he's far better than he is). 

If he goes with Geno and loses, he kind of has to hit on Hackenberg (or someone else) very shortly thereafter. If he passes up on a very available Fitz, then goes in with Geno and loses, then loses with Hackenberg after getting killed by many for over-drafting Hackenberg in the first place, he's going to have job security problems no matter what else you may like about the rest of his drafting. 

He's going to have security problems regardless. The bottom of this team is not going to fall out from under it, it's going to implode in Michael Bay-levels of absurd explosions. Take a look at the offensive depth chart right now, the only guy that might be here in 2018 is Winters. There is literally nobody being brought up or groomed and it's going to be awful watching him figure out that you can't just buy an offense. He came in with a clean slate and had more cap room than Adrienne Barbaeu had boobs in the 80s. A year later he's stuck with one of the oldest rosters in the league and can't even figure out a way to pay Muhammad Wilkerson. And in the midst of that he's still trading cheap picks for expensive vets and trying to sign Ryan Fitzpatrick to a 3-year deal. What successful team has ever set up a sustained future this way? 

20 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If he goes in with Geno and wins none of this matters. The perception that Macc cares (or should care) what the media thinks is just that. The media can only repeat their nonsense. Sure, most people who listen will believe it but thats not anything that Macc has control over. Macc comes off as a guy who deals with the things he has control over.

If he goes in with Geno and it isnt successful then atleast he knows. Some fans along with the media will say that they "already knew". However, if he goes in with Geno and succeeds then some fans along with the media will say that they "already knew". 

When you're sitting here putting Macc on the road to perdition then of course sh*t isn't going to end well. Hackenberg isnt a thought at the moment. His job is to sit and learn. Fitz is over valuing himself. Its time for Geno to step up to the plate. Thats the situation. 

50 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don't think they'd win with either one. Bringing back Fitz, and losing with him, is an easier PR battle to win even if it's ultimately a waste on paper. Name a Jets QB less popular than Geno Smith is today. You'd have to go back quite a while. If Maccagnan was a PR master who could play the media like a violin then maybe he could get away with that. He admits this is not his thing, and it's important for any successful people to know what they're great at, what they're good at, and what they kind of fake/BS their way through doing.

He's not going to be able to spin losing with Geno then losing with a bust in Hackenberg (should that happen).  So far he's gotten a little lucky. Really, what if instead of trading for Sanchez, Elway was willing to one-up Macc, Denver repeated going to the playoffs in 2016 (with Fitz starting), while the Jets regress to 6-10 with Geno Smith and a pair of late December multi-turnover games from Hackenberg? The fans and media would be laying daily turds on his head. 

Omg, the PR battle, really.  If PR is in the forefront of Mac's decision making then may the saints preserve us.  In general I respect your posts sperm but if you believe Mac ought to have PR concerns as significant factors in his decision making then, well. your wrong.  And if he is in fact doing so then, well, he's wrong.

He'll make his bones as a GM based of the quality of his decisions.  Worrying about PR is just second guessing yourself in advance and is most unwise.     

16 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I am totally shocked

What??? :rl: 

He doesn't have to sign jack sh*t. If he was a better QB he'd be signed already, and his base price would be in excess of what's being offered as incentives.  If he is our QB in 2016, in excess of $10M for the season, he has a lot to show the organization, not the other way around. 

It doesn't matter what you think because what you think is ludicrous. No offense. ;) 

Again there are no starting Qb openings at this point in 2016 so far. Some off seasons he would have signed in a minute. But the off season isn't over yet and things can change. I don't think he'll accept the Jets 3/24 offer but you never know. I'd rather he doesn't come back if it means an impasse and hard feelings between him and the FO over a few million bucks. 

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

Again there are no starting Qb openings at this point in 2016 so far. Some off seasons he would have signed in a minute. But the off season isn't over yet and things can change. I don't think he'll accept the Jets 3/24 offer but you never know. I'd rather he doesn't come back if it means an impasse between him and the FO over a few million bucks. 

The Browns, Broncos and 49ers had a open starter spot while Fitz was available during free agency. They all declined. 

40 minutes ago, PepPep said:

This is not a great compromise. The Jets don;t want to do this. I'm, not sure they can AFFORD to do this. Its a 12mil cap hit. It's not at all what Mac had in mind with the 3yr offer. This deal leans in Fitz's favor. He get 12mil this year. If he has another good year, he cashes in next year. If he has an off year, well, he can probably still get a backup job equaling to the same money (or more) he would have gotten in year 2-3 of his proposed 3yr contract with the Jets.

If he has a good year, the Jets paid 12mil and will have to go through this again and probably pay more to keep him. If he has a bad year, they are rid of him in year 2 but they just paid 12mil for a bad QB. 

Its a compromise, just not one that really favors the Jets - WHO HAVE ALL THE LEVERAGE.

Bad deal. The whole point of MAc's 3yr offer was so he could move around the money to escape cap hell. I would not do it. I want to see what Geno can do this season with a good team and a year to sit and learn the offense. In comparison, he is SO cheap, its worth the gamble.  

The Jets have ZERO leverage on the amount of years Ryan Fitzpatrick signs....

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

The Browns, Broncos and 49ers had a open starter spot while Fitz was available during free agency. They all declined. 

The way I heard it Denver made him a 1 year 7 mil offer. The Browns signed RG3 after he visited us. No news on the 49ers who if they do trade Kap might have an opening. And they have been touting Gabbert who was a big time prospect but a bust but possible making a comeback. There still could be an opening at Denver. I still think they could finally end up with Kap but so far it doesn't look that way. So you're talking about 3 teams and maybe really one opening. There will be openings as a backup Qb. The problem with that for Fitz is he has to play to get a good contract in 2017. You and others sound like you only want the worst for this guy. btw remember the Jets Idzik's first season were 8-8. Nobody wanted to fire him after year 1. Then his team fell to 4-12 and he was killed for a multitude of reasons but mostly because of 4-12. So if we go from 10-6 to 4-12 there wiil be repercussions esp if they let Fitz leave over a few million dollars. 

Just now, Rangers9 said:

The way I heard it Denver made him a 1 year 7 mil offer. The Browns signed RG3 after he visited us. No news on the 49ers who if they do trade Kap might have an opening. And they have been touting Gabbert who was a big time prospect but a bust but possible making a comeback. There still could be an opening at Denver. I still think they could finally end up with Kap but so far it doesn't look that way. So you're talking about 3 teams and maybe really one opening. There will be openings as a backup Qb. The problem with that for Fitz is he has to play to get a good contract in 2017. You and others sound like you only want the worst for this guy. btw remember the Jets Idzik's first season were 8-8. Nobody wanted to fire him after year 1. Then his team fell to 4-12 and he was killed for a multitude of reasons but mostly because of 4-12. So if we go from 10-6 to 4-12 there wiil be repercussions esp if they let Fitz leave over a few million dollars. 

I was simply responding to your point that there were "No starting QB openings to this point so far". 

Im showing you that their were. So, im talking about 3 teams that during one time or another during this offseason showed that there was an opening at the starting position, and that doesnt even included the 4th team which is the NY Jets. 

Meanwhile, Fitzpatrick is for some reason still a free agent. 

26 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I think most Jets fans expect to win this coming year. I've looked at the schedule and it's ok not insurmountable. If we're a good team we should be competitive.  And you never know which team is going to get better and be a surprise team and what supposed good team is going to regress. It's time for Mac to sign the starting Qb and go forward. It's not a good situation for the entire team. Give him the one year contract and if he's good again make him an offer. If he's mediocre like some of our fans predict then you are free and clear. There are no guarantees for any player. Albert Pujols signed a mega deal and has been ok but not great. 

Just because Albert Poohole signed a mega deal for being an ok player doesn't mean we pay bug bucks to a never-has-been player. And no, we ain't making playoffs with the Beard. He's garbage when he faces a good D n has to lead a comeback. That's exactly what you need to make the playoffs. 

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

I was simply responding to your point that there were "No starting QB openings to this point so far". 

Im showing you that their were. So, im talking about 3 teams that during one time or another during this offseason showed that there was an opening at the starting position, and that doesnt even included the 4th team which is the NY Jets. 

Meanwhile, Fitzpatrick is for some reason still a free agent. 

I don't see 3 teams I see one. And that was Denver who maybe offered him a contract. And during this whole time it looked like Fitz's plan was to sign with the Jets. I don't think he expected this kind of a battle with Mac.But finally we don't really know about his agent's communications with other teams. They might have talked with Cleveland and the 49ers who knows. But RG3 was signed pretty early and at that time it looked like it was a no brainer that Fitz was coming back to the Jets. Right now it doesn't look that way.

Just now, RutgersJetFan said:

He's going to have security problems regardless. The bottom of this team is not going to fall out from under it, it's going to implode in Michael Bay-levels of absurd explosions. Take a look at the offensive depth chart right now, the only guy that might be here in 2018 is Winters. There is literally nobody being brought up or groomed and it's going to be awful watching him figure out that you can't just buy an offense. He came in with a clean slate and had more cap room than Adrienne Barbaeu had boobs in the 80s. A year later he's stuck with one of the oldest rosters in the league and can't even figure out a way to pay Muhammad Wilkerson. And in the midst of that he's still trading cheap picks for expensive vets and trying to sign Ryan Fitzpatrick to a 3-year deal. What successful team has ever set up a sustained future this way? 

Are you speaking of those boobs in the literal sense or as a metaphor?

Besides, we'll also have Carpenter in 2018 so cheer up. :) 

To your point, I think it's less than brilliant to go for broke all over the team with expensive veterans and trading away draft picks, in the absence of a QB worthy of such investment. If we already have such a QB, yeah sure, then you could rationalize overpaying for this or that guy. Absent, all we're doing in the end is failing in a less unattractive fashion. Missing the playoffs at 10-6 may make for a mostly-fun season, but in the end it may prove less useful than keeping our picks and spending responsibly on younger players, even if it means finishing 5-11 (or worse) where we're in a better position to draft the #1 or #2 overall pick franchise QB Maccagnan so badly wanted to move up to get.

Some of those picks I'm ok trading for early 30s vets if they're on offense, probably more than you, but specifically in the interest of accelerating a young QBs transition from college to pro. Then we won't have questions the following year about giving this or that guy the proper chance because he was throwing to starters like Stephen Hill or David Nelson Chansi Stuckey or has-been Plaxico. But on defense? Revis, Cromartie, Harris... those 3 will add up to nearly $80M by the time we reach the 2018 season you're referencing, and they won't get us to a SB when the dust settles. As much of a feel-good signing as it was, and as satisfying as it will be for so many to see him retire as a Jet, in the end a $16M/year Revis at 30+ years old may have been more useful as a final missing piece to a team that has a QB, not a building block for a Jets team very much in search of one. 

I think Mo is probably asking for more than I'd like to pay - particularly in light of already having another pair of similar young players as or more talented - but what's sickening is the difference, between where the team is and were Mo wants to be, could have been easily closed by not tossing $7M at Cromartie for 1 forgettable year, to say nothing of $15M guaranteed for 2 years of David Harris for a HC that wants, above all else, speedy linebackers. Right there's $22M of gap-closing in reaching a Mo agreement, and surely there would be change to spare. 1 yr of Cro and 2 yrs of Harris should not influence the loss of 5-6 additional years of Mo, but that's where we're headed.

Also if they're going to dangle Mo while he's tagged, then lock him up or make a trade deal happen. You don't come back home empty-handed and leave things like this for the season. As it stands now - and I hope it changes - we're going to pay Mo $16M for a dead-end 2016 season, then lose him for nothing. Add that $16M to the total previously burned through on other offseason trophies, when we don't have the cash to re-sign or want to bring in others with a longer future. Then on top of that, throw in whatever they're going to toss Fitzpatrick's way. 

Just now, Rangers9 said:

I don't see 3 teams I see one. And that was Denver who maybe offered him a contract. And during this whole time it looked like Fitz's plan was to sign with the Jets. I don't think he expected this kind of a battle with Mac.But finally we don't really know about his agent's communications with other teams. They might have talked with Cleveland and the 49ers who knows. But RG3 was signed pretty early and at that time it looked like it was a no brainer that Fitz was coming back to the Jets. Right now it doesn't look that way.

It doesnt matter what you see, it matters what occurred during this offseason. A total of 4 starting Jobs were available. RG3 filled one, Sanchez/Lynch filled one, the 49ers ended up being stuck with Kaeps 11 million dollar contract since they couldnt trade him before April 1st yet they dont want to start him and the Jets allegedly wanted to resign Fitz but wasnt comfortable with his outrageous price. 

It doesnt matter if the Browns signed RG3 pretty early, they signed RG3 after both guys were free agents and decided to take RG3 over Fitz. 

Look Mac could have signed RG3 or other Qbs like Hoyer. Both of them made visits, And were much cheaper. Griffin stayed for 2 days. But the word we got was that the Jets wanted Fitz back. And Fitz wants to return. That was earlier in the process. Both guys got jobs and Fitz is still unsigned. I don't think Ryan expected this kind of a stalemate. It didn't help his ability to get a job with another team. 

Just now, Rangers9 said:

Look Mac could have signed RG3 or other Qbs like Hoyer. Both of them made visits, And were much cheaper. Griffin stayed for 2 days. But the word we got was that the Jets wanted Fitz back. And Fitz wants to return. That was earlier in the process. Both guys got jobs and Fitz is still unsigned. I don't think Ryan expected this kind of a stalemate. It didn't hurt his ability to get a job with another team. 

Stop worrying about the talk, worry about the actions. RG3 visited in March, its June bro. 

11 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Just because Albert Poohole signed a mega deal for being an ok player doesn't mean we pay bug bucks to a never-has-been player. And no, we ain't making playoffs with the Beard. He's garbage when he faces a good D n has to lead a comeback. That's exactly what you need to make the playoffs. 

One year is not big bucks. He got like 200 mil. All I'm saying is there are no guarantees when you give a player a contract that he'll be good or great. 

23 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Omg, the PR battle, really.  If PR is in the forefront of Mac's decision making then may the saints preserve us.  In general I respect your posts sperm but if you believe Mac ought to have PR concerns as significant factors in his decision making then, well. your wrong.  And if he is in fact doing so then, well, he's wrong.

He'll make his bones as a GM based of the quality of his decisions.  Worrying about PR is just second guessing yourself in advance and is most unwise.     

He's not wrong LI...... In general, I will agree with you that it's stupidity to be worries about things as trivial as PR. But really you're missing the point. As Sperm has already stated, Geno is a very strongly disliked figure with the NYJ. If Mac Burns Fitz and decides to start Geno? He could very well out his job in jeopardy for multiple reasons:

1) The Jets have very hard schedule and a losing record is probable. THAT, in itself, will already have the fan base upset.

2) Mac had a choice, but he CHOSE to go with that very strongly disliked guy.

3) He BURNED the guy that the players respected and the FANS had great respect for.

4) He IGNORED what the players were trying to tell him.

So going with Geno could very well turn out to be a PR nightmare for Mac that could very well put his job in serious jeopardy.

4 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

It doesnt matter what you see, it matters what occurred during this offseason. A total of 4 starting Jobs were available. RG3 filled one, Sanchez/Lynch filled one, the 49ers ended up being stuck with Kaeps 11 million dollar contract since they couldnt trade him before April 1st yet they dont want to start him and the Jets allegedly wanted to resign Fitz but wasnt comfortable with his outrageous price. 

It doesnt matter if the Browns signed RG3 pretty early, they signed RG3 after both guys were free agents and decided to take RG3 over Fitz. 

Denver offered a deal to Fitz after Sanchez signed. The way it stands the Broncos 7th round pick in 2015 might end up winning that job over Sanchez. If Kap had agreed to a trade there could be an opening in SF. Right now there isn't because they are paying off Kap's contract and Chip says he likes Gabbert. At this time it's late in the process and no starting jobs. And we're talking 32 teams in the NFL. There are presently no openings except maybe Denver and it's pretty late for that job. 

6 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Stop worrying about the talk, worry about the actions. RG3 visited in March, its June bro. 

Yeah and in March Fitz thought he was the Jets starting Qb. At this time it looks like he isn't. 

2 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Denver offered a deal to Fitz after Sanchez signed. The way it stands the Broncos 7th round pick in 2015 might end up winning that job over Sanchez. If Kap had agreed to a trade there could be an opening in SF. Right now there isn't because they are paying off Kap's contract and Chip says he likes Gabbert. At this time it's late in the process and no starting jobs. And we're talking 32 teams in the NFL. There are presently no openings except maybe Denver and it's pretty late for that job. 

Do you explain away everything? 

You said that there were no starting jobs at this point....so far during the 2016 offseason. There were 4 of them, all during the time that Fitz was able to sign as a free agent. What's your problem acknowledging that? 

4 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

He's not wrong LI...... In general, I will agree with you that it's stupidity to be worries about things as trivial as PR. But really you're missing the point. As Sperm has already stated, Geno is a very strongly disliked figure with the NYJ. If Mac Burns Fitz and decides to start Geno? He could very well out his job in jeopardy for multiple reasons:

1) The Jets have very hard schedule and a losing record is probable. THAT, in itself, will already have the fan base upset.

2) Mac had a choice, but he CHOSE to go with that very strongly disliked guy.

3) He BURNED the guy that the players respected and the FANS had great respect for.

4) He IGNORED what the players were trying to tell him.

So going with Geno could very well turn out to be a PR nightmare for Mac that could very well put his job in serious jeopardy.

On the other hand, he'll be considered a freakin' genius after Geno does great.

48 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Yeah but it can't be for $12M guaranteed. That amount was made possible by the two extra years. 

Archived