Report: Fitzpatrick Prepared to Accept One-Year Deal From Jets

JetNation

1 hour ago, Powpow said:

Since when has Geno kept lighting it up?  He got lit up but he has never lit it up. Ever.  So stop pretending, its really absurd to entertain such fantasies.

Well he ****in hasn't, which is why I said I hope it happens.. but reports have been very good so far. 

FYI I can't stand Geno and wanted Fitz to come back pretty much up until very recently so save the shlt buddy 

fantasies... smh not like we have a whole lot of options. Lemme guess you want Hack or Petty to start

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I'm saying he has those concerns, or should have them on a personal level, because denying the strength of public perception is naive. It is convenient for me, you, or anyone to dismiss them as though these external pressures don't exist. I agree it is unwise on paper, but he may not survive long enough to show he was right about some of those decisions (or non-decisions).

I think that is a good part of the reason they're going back to Fitzpatrick at all. If they believed in him that much, at such an important position, with such a veteran team, there would be no dillydallying over a few million that gets lost in the sands of time. Hell, they just threw $3M/year on yet another backup 300-lb DE (who's going to also probably going to cost us a 4th round draft pick when the dust settles). I think that the bad PR he'd get is also the reason he didn't trade Mo. He drew a line in the sand at a first round pick. But in reality, what is the difference between the #30 pick and the #35 pick other than public perception? It's nowhere near the difference between #30 and #15. Yet this was his line in the sand. Why? Because he'd get creamed for letting Mo go for less than a #1 pick even if no other GM thought he was worth that either.  Is it better to get a mid-2nd in 2016, or after an 8-8 season with Mo this year to lose him for a 3rd round comp pick, around #100 overall, 2 years later in 2018 that 50/50 we won't even see (on top of the $16M he'll cost for this 1 more season).

I'm not personally worried on his behalf about his PR problems. I'm saying he has some of these concerns dealing with reality. It's a lot of what did in his predecessor (that and some sh*tty moves, but GMs have survived worse, particularly if they're force-fed a HC for 2 yrs who also got fired). Through all the bad Idzik moves, the truth is it's still possible for a lot of them to still work out, and he was further canned before he spent so much of the cash he'd saved up, largely due to bad PR. What he couldn't survive was that ridiculous, cringe-worthy, rambling speech he made, plus a nationally-covered campaign by a group to get him fired.

I think Maccagnan, like lots of people, reads the tea leaves. He's not just the GM of the Jets. He's also a grown man with a family. His #1 job is not, in fact, building a winner with the Jets but in keeping his high-paying job for as long as he can. Building a winner will of course do wonders for that, but in the absence of such, it's better for him to tread water than to drown. Just ask John Idzik. 

This is true for the Jets but not the Giants, Knicks, or the Rangers. 

Well he ****in hasn't, which is why I said I hope it happens.. but reports have been very good so far. 

Reports have been very good so far?

Do you mean from OTA's where players run around in tee shirts and shorts and where there is no pass rush or contact?

21 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Reports have been very good so far?

Do you mean from OTA's where players run around in tee shirts and shorts and where there is no pass rush or contact?

There's no pass rush or contact during a FOUR GAME SUSPENSION either....

And then there is the taint that goes along with everybody knowing you are a cheater and a cover up artist.

Just sayin'   :D

This Jets team may have their struggles TX but at least the organization is trying to overcome those challenges within the rules.  Your team might want to try that some time. For the novelty of that feeling if for no other reason.

8 hours ago, Mainejet said:

He WON'T sit. He'll opt to sign with team that he feels he can potentially get playing time with. All he has to is show that he can still put up good numbers and he'll get MORE money than what the Jets are offering next year in FA. But like I said.....No matter what you claim you can bet your A$$ Fitz will be a free agent next year. He will NOT accept a multiple year contract from the Jets. That much I can guarantee you. Not unless it involved a MUCH more hefty salary in year 2 and so on.

If he refuses the Jets $15M guaranteed, and signs somewhere else as a backup, he won't make $15M over the rest of his career. 

4 minutes ago, slats said:

If he refuses the Jets $15M guaranteed, and signs somewhere else as a backup, he won't make $15M over the rest of his career. 

shhhhh!  You are disrupting the Jets' process of bidding against itself with your sound reasoning.  

I think Fitz wants good money because he puts it on the line - he is ready to die out there, and he almost had his head taken off a few times, and so, being a smart guy, he realizes that it's only worth endangering oneself and getting physically abused if you are getting paid well for it. If not, might as well retire and stay healthy. Perhaps this is his calculation. 

8 minutes ago, roscoeword said:

I think Fitz wants good money because he puts it on the line - he is ready to die out there, and he almost had his head taken off a few times, and so, being a smart guy, he realizes that it's only worth endangering oneself and getting physically abused if you are getting paid well for it. If not, might as well retire and stay healthy. Perhaps this is his calculation. 

I was thinking that too, but he was quoted as saying he'd play in 2016. But he might be willing to wait and sign after training camp with a team who might need a starting Qb. And if nobody has an opening sit out the season. But we saw last season when no. 1 Qbs like Romo went down the team's entire season went into the crapper. Some orgs might think based on 2015 that Fitz can win games for them without a lot of prep. I mean he's got a lot of experience joining new teams and learning new systems. 

6 hours ago, Hitman Harris said:

FYI I can't stand Geno and wanted Fitz to come back pretty much up until very recently so save the shlt buddy 

fantasies... smh not like we have a whole lot of options. Lemme guess you want Hack or Petty to start

Anyone but Geno, ANYONE 

1 hour ago, roscoeword said:

So he was willing to do it a whole season for 3.25 million but now won't collect on it by making near triple.. He has real chance to use the jets again with a perfect situation and cash in next yr if he can prove critics wrong and deliver a backup to backup good season for 1st time in his career..

2 hours ago, slats said:

You're missing the point, he's NOT going to sign for 15 million in the first place. He'll for whatever the Jets are offering and it will not be 15 million, something substantially less, but he will make it FA next year. Guaranteed. Don't you guys even understand what betting on yourself means?

10 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Lol what team do you think wants him as a starter ? Zero.. No team will offer him more than the jets for one yr. jets may offer him a 1 yr 8 million. Any team who takes him on now would strictly sign him as backup with outside chance to start at best.. It will be on a bad team, one where he likely won't play well on.. Or he is a backup to a qb who doesn't get hurt or play bad..  In either scenario all his offers for 17 go out the window, even decent backup offers.. I don't think the jets should sign him longer than a one yr deal. He has proven to be bad too many years.. Hac may be ready in 17. Petty may be ready for #2.. Or bring in another cheap vet similar to fitz was most of his career.  Jets are his only real option this yr and everybody knows it..

There's more than one team that wants Fitz as depth. MORE than one. If he picks the right team, he'll get playing time due to injury or ineffectiveness. At that point, all he has to do is put up good numbers. That's it, and he'll be primed to receive big money in FA in 2017. Guaranteed. SOMEBODY wants a QB for 2017 that can pass for 3905 yards, 31 TD and only 15 INT. GUARANTEED somebody wants him. Fitz will also guaranteed take advantage of himself. He's betting on himself by signing a one year deal, don't you get what that means?

5 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

You're missing the point, he's NOT going to sign for 15 million in the first place. He'll for whatever the Jets are offering and it will not be 15 million, something substantially less, but he will make it FA next year. Guaranteed. Don't you guys even understand what betting on yourself means?

Who's signing him for less? The Jets have reportedly had this same deal on the table months. This is their offer. 

Don't keep the player tied to a 3 year deal when he doesn't want to be. That cap space stuff can be worked out if the Jets wanted to do it. Fitz doesn't want to be a backup or a caddy to Hack or anyone else or Mac's insurance policy to save his and Woody's asses if things don't work out. He wants to be an NFL starter. Any kind of contract isn't supposed to be that one-sided it's supposed to be fair to each side. I mean if they want to get along in the future. I'm not so sure this impasse can be fixed. So give the guy the one year and let him go. OK if not 12 mil give him the average of the deal 8 mil and let him bet on himself to make up that money. 

3 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

There's more than one team that wants Fitz as depth. MORE than one. If he picks the right team, he'll get playing time due to injury or ineffectiveness. At that point, all he has to do is put up good numbers. That's it, and he'll be primed to receive big money in FA in 2017. Guaranteed. SOMEBODY wants a QB for 2017 that can pass for 3905 yards, 31 TD and only 15 INT. GUARANTEED somebody wants him. Fitz will also guaranteed take advantage of himself. He's betting on himself by signing a one year deal, don't you get what that means?

Proof?

Just now, Rangers9 said:

Don't keep the player tied to a 3 year deal when he doesn't want to be. That cap space stuff can be worked out if the Jets wanted to do it. Fitz doesn't want to be a backup or a caddy to Hack or anyone else or Mac's insurance policy to save his and Woody's asses if things don't work out. He wants to be an NFL starter. Any kind of contract isn't supposed to be that one-sided it's supposed to be fair to each side. I mean if they want to get along in the future. I'm not so sure this impasse can be fixed. So give the guy the one year and let him go. OK if not 12 mil give him the average of the deal 8 mil and let him bet on himself to make up that money. 

just because fitz wants to be a starting qb doesn't mean he should be, or that his contract should reflect starter's money.  your value is what the highest bidder is willing to pay, and in this case there is only 1 bidder.  fitz has zero leverage, he can accept or decline the terms.  the jets will move on with geno and truth, at this point he's probably not much worse than fitz is.  

one of mccags' objectives has been to change the front office culture, and not caving in when players and/or agents make demands that he considers unreasonable is sound gm decision making.  

6 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

just because fitz wants to be a starting qb doesn't mean he should be, or that his contract should reflect starter's money.  your value is what the highest bidder is willing to pay, and in this case there is only 1 bidder.  fitz has zero leverage, he can accept or decline the terms.  the jets will move on with geno and truth, at this point he's probably not much worse than fitz is.  

one of mccags' objectives has been to change the front office culture, and not caving in when players and/or agents make demands that he considers unreasonable is sound gm decision making.  

The bottom line is that at this moment because of good young starters on rookie contracts there are no real openings for starting Qbs this off season. Maybe Denver and they offered Fitz a one year deal. Not sure that is still open. Most off seasons there are more jobs available and possibly next season a different story. No guarantees that Fitz can win a starting job but he if he wants that ability to go for it then why try to tie him up to a deal he doesn't like. OK so you can low ball him for this year if you want but let him go after that. He plays well he gets a starting job offer. He doesn't he loses money. He might at the end go for security because he's a family man. But he might decide not to. It's like betting, you can win more money or lose money. He's betting on himself. 

8 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

So then he doesn't have to sign the best contract offer he's going to get for the rest of his NFL career. That's his prerogative. 

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

The bottom line is that at this moment because of good young starters on rookie contracts there are no real openings for starting Qbs this off season. Maybe Denver and they offered Fitz a one year deal. Not sure that is still open. Most off seasons there are more jobs available and possibly next season a different story. No guarantees that Fitz can win a starting job but he if he wants that ability to go for it then why try to tie him up to a deal he doesn't like. OK so you can low ball him for this year if you want but let him go after that. He plays well he gets a starting job offer. He doesn't he loses money. He might at the end go for security because he's a family man. But he might decide to not do that have faith in his ability. It's like betting, you can win more money or lose money. He's betting on himself. I admire him for that.

you don't offer fitz a contract amount just because it's what everyone else makes at the position.  your offer reflects what his perceived value is.  this has nothing to do with insulting him, or locking him up b/c next year the qb market will have fitz be more in demand.  this is similar to the mo situation.  mccags won't overspend.  there's too many other positions to address and you can't simply cave into every guys' salary demands out of fear they'll walk.  that's how you wind up in tanny's cap hell.

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

you don't offer fitz a contract amount just because it's what everyone else makes at the position.  your offer reflects what his perceived value is.  this has nothing to do with insulting him, or locking him up b/c next year the qb market will have fitz be more in demand.  this is similar to the mo situation.  mccags won't overspend.  there's too many other positions to address and you can't simply cave into every guys' salary demands out of fear they'll walk.  that's how you wind up in tanny's cap hell.

He got the cap hell last year when he signed Revis for 39 mil guaranteed. He was left with a chunk of money by Idzik. The team performed well and he got a lot of the credit. But he wasn't on the field and it was Fitz who ran that offense. 

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

He got the cap hell last year when he signed Revis for 39 mil guaranteed. He was left with a chunk of money by Idzik. The team performed well and he got a lot of the credit. But he wasn't on the field and it was Fitz who ran that offense. 

mccags seems to be pretty objective when evaluating players. not perfect, but objective.  in fitz's regard, while he sees the short-term value fitz brings, mccags' plan is clearly not to have him start in 2017.  so therefore he's not going to severely overpay fitz in a 3 year deal or a 1 year deal that hurts the cap situation.  

we can argue about whether revis was overpaid or not, but at the time of the signing he was still considered an elite cb.  

12 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

The bottom line is that at this moment because of good young starters on rookie contracts there are no real openings for starting Qbs this off season. Maybe Denver and they offered Fitz a one year deal. Not sure that is still open. Most off seasons there are more jobs available and possibly next season a different story. No guarantees that Fitz can win a starting job but he if he wants that ability to go for it then why try to tie him up to a deal he doesn't like. OK so you can low ball him for this year if you want but let him go after that. He plays well he gets a starting job offer. He doesn't he loses money. He might at the end go for security because he's a family man. But he might decide not to. It's like betting, you can win more money or lose money. He's betting on himself. 

If Denver offered him a one year deal, and he didn't accept it knowing that he didn't like what the Jets were offering, he's an idiot. The man's never been to the playoffs, he's gonna turn down a chance to start for the defending Super Bowl champs? I don't think so. I also don't think Denver ever made an offer. 

Fitzpatrick turns 35 next football season. The biggest knock on the journeyman is his arm strength, or lack thereof. He's a player on the decline. No one is offering him big money to start next year. It may not be as big as he wants, but this offer from the Jets is his last payday. If he doesn't take this offer, he loses a lot of money. A lot. 

1 minute ago, slats said:

If Denver offered him a one year deal, and he didn't accept it knowing that he didn't like what the Jets were offering, he's an idiot. The man's never been to the playoffs, he's gonna turn down a chance to start for the defending Super Bowl champs? I don't think so. I also don't think Denver ever made an offer. 

Fitzpatrick turns 35 next football season. The biggest knock on the journeyman is his arm strength, or lack thereof. He's a player on the decline. No one is offering him big money to start next year. It may not be as big as he wants, but this offer from the Jets is his last payday. If he doesn't take this offer, he loses a lot of money. A lot. 

when you really think about it the main problem here is that geno hasn't shown enough to make anyone have faith he could at the very least, match what fitz can do.  if geno were a bit better, this whole fitz thing would go away and so would he.

39 minutes ago, slats said:

Who's signing him for less? The Jets have reportedly had this same deal on the table months. This is their offer. 

They are signing him as a STARTER. I'd be willing to bet he can find work as depth with many teams. From there, all he has to do is play well when he gets his chance and he WILL make it to FA next year. That's why he is willing to sign a one year deal and ONLY a one year deal at a reduced rate.

5 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

They are signing him as a STARTER. I'd be willing to bet he can find work as depth with many teams. From there, all he has to do is play well when he gets his chance and he WILL make it to FA next year. That's why he is willing to sign a one year deal and ONLY a one year deal at a reduced rate.

He's willing to sign a contract that no one's offering. I'm guessing a lot of players are in the same boat. 

3 hours ago, slats said:

why wouldn't he? you can argue that fitz is a quality starter or not, but I think most would agree, at minimum, fitz is an excellent back up qb. coming off of a decent season, I might add. an excellent back up isn't worth 5m a year? Fitzpatrick has 3 years of back up duty in him. there is $15m right there. that's if he never touches  a football in a live game again

If the sticking point is that Fitz thinks he has the chance to be a starter for more than one year and the Jets want the right to be able to "demote" him into a backup role in year-2 or year-3 then the simple answer is that the Jets should give him the right to test the market in year-2 or year-3 if that demotion happens.

If it doesn't and he remains the starter then he earns his incentives bringing the 3-year deal up to a value of $36M

If the demotion happens and if no real market develops for him as a starter (as many here suspect) then he has to accept the Jets 6M per-year backup money.

What the Jets cannot do is to have him start in year-1 and then demote him (at their discretion) but leave him with no alternative but to accept such a decision. 

36 minutes ago, slats said:

On the other hand he isn't an idiot if he believes in himself and is willing to put his money where his mouth is. Not everybody plays it conservatively in life. I mean he doesn't play it conservatively on the field. He goes for it! 

10 minutes ago, slats said:

He's willing to sign a contract that no one's offering. I'm guessing a lot of players are in the same boat. 

the contract has been reported to have been on the table for 2 months now. wasn't it just last month that maccagnan stated that signing fitz was a priority and that "both" sides need to compromise? or something to that affect. doesn't sound like a line in the sand, take it or leave contract to me. mac made his offer. sounds like fitz rejected the offer and made a counter offer. that how negotiations work

On 6/2/2016 at 11:32 AM, Mainejet said:

The Jets have ZERO leverage on the amount of years Ryan Fitzpatrick signs....

Sure they do. Leverage is leverage and a contract is a contract. I'm not sure what you mean by "ZERO leverage on the amount of years" he signs. What does the length of the contract have to do with the leverage? I mean, if the Jets don't like the deal, they wont offer it/accept it. Same with Fitz.

BUT- if Fitz wants to be a starter, have the best chance to succeed, and make the most money, his only option (right now) is the Jets and Chan Gailey. No other team is lining up to offer him a starting role or starter money, and as far as FA goes, its very late in the game so I don't expect many suitors to pop out of nowhere, barring a major injury to a star QB. And there's very few teams out there, even if they wanted his services, where he can come in and have the same success he did with the Jets last year. Say what you will about Geno, Petty and Hack...but the Jets have a good team with 3 young QBs. They would love for Fitz to come back, but the Jets have all the leverage. And if they don't want to take a 12mil one year deal- which Fitz is all of a sudden offering (hmmmm, wonder why- maybe b/c he's running out of options?)-they won't. They will see what Geno can do. And the fans will just have to deal with that strategy. Personally, I'm fine with it. I want to see what Geno can do with a good team and good coaching around him.     

Archived