Sign in to follow this  
courtnj18

Jets not interested in one-year, $12 million for Fitzpatrick

9 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

Fitz wants to maximize the amount of money he makes while he still has the ability to play in the NFL. That's called common sense. He's stuck in a contract dispute with the Jets where he has no leverage. Or shall I say, he has no leverage AT THIS POINT IN TIME.

Things could be very different after the 2016 season. If they are? Fitz wants to renegotiate and maximize his earnings. He cannot do that right now because he happens to have no leverage. So signing a 1 year deal with the Jets makes a huge amount of sense for guy a that very clearly believes in himself.

The Jets have ZERO leverage on the amount of yeas Fitz signs for even right now. The Jets want to get Fitz on the cheap for multiple years and Fitz is saying, where I have no leverage right now I'll settle for your offer. But I'll bet I'll have much better luck getting more money in FA after the 2016 season.

If he wants a 1-yr deal so bad, the Jets would probably be willing to give it to him. For $8M.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Mike135 said:

Based on the offer, I don't know that it is obvious.  I'd say it's obvious they want him to at least compete for the job this year though.  But at 8mil per on average for 3 seasons, it's not quite as bad if he ends up not starting and just being the vet backup through what could be a challenging three years of getting one of Geno/Hack/Petty to be a true starter.

@12mil for one year, you're basically handing him the starting gig for one year and left with having to decide whether to re-sign either him or Geno again next season.  No benefit to the Jets at all.

Absolutely right.

21 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Well the next time I believe anything Mehta said will be the first time. But probably this time it could be true. 

It probably is true. It makes a lot of sense.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

To me it makes no sense so it's probably true. 

The reason it makes sense is the hit to cap space this year with a 1-year,  $12M deal. The 3-year $24M deal avoids the hit this year, even if he is paid $12M this year.

Sign in to follow this  

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company