Sign in to follow this  
courtnj18

Jets not interested in one-year, $12 million for Fitzpatrick

Macc is being a dick .  Who locks themselves into backup money?

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 5

48 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Backups?

They obviously want him to start this year. That makes him the starter

45 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Perhaps a backup?  Whether he likes it or not, no one but the Jets seem to have any interest in Fitz as a starter

While I can understand Fitz's thoughts on why he'd be willing to take only the best part of the Jets' offer, there's also good reason for the Jets to not see that as some sort of great compromise.  The whole idea behind the Jets willing to up their offer over what they previously had as his perceived value is the additional long-term benefit that they would get along with it.  That money would be part of a future investment they would be making, so they have no reason to agree to such an increased spending while receiving no benefit in return.  The supposed "concession" Fitz seems to be willing to take appears to be entirely to his advantage, considering regardless of how much he may want, no one is offering anything close to the Jets.  If he's nothing more than a one-year placeholder, then you simply don't pay that much money for such a player.

I don't even blame Fitz for trying to get as much as he wants, but the idea that he's making some sort of sacrifice here isn't the reality, and the Jets have little reason to let that influence them.

That's why the 1 year deal makes sense. He's not going to start then lock in for backup.money

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Mike135 said:

Based on the offer, I don't know that it is obvious.  I'd say it's obvious they want him to at least compete for the job this year though.  But at 8mil per on average for 3 seasons, it's not quite as bad if he ends up not starting and just being the vet backup through what could be a challenging three years of getting one of Geno/Hack/Petty to be a true starter.

@12mil for one year, you're basically handing him the starting gig for one year and left with having to decide whether to re-sign either him or Geno again next season.  No benefit to the Jets at all.

hey mike, this is your boss talking.  you had a great year last year, well, for a mike135 type year that is.  you are borderline good, so we are prepared to offer you low end money for a poster of your status, but that's just for a year.  then we are locking you in for 2 years at jowilly money.  Now because of the new CBA you can't hold out and I will have your rights and I will decide your future.

whats that, you want to do a 1 year deal and bet on yourself ?

whats in it for me mike ?

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1

Sign in to follow this  

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company