Jets not interested in one-year, $12 million for Fitzpatrick

courtnj18

So here is Brian Costello's take on why the Jets won't give Fitz a one year deal: http://nypost.com/2016/06/02/the-reasons-jets-object-to-one-year-ryan-fitzpatrick-solution/ He also says that people in the Jets org think a deal will get done. I read the article and don't agree with the Jets FO on any of this. It's one sided and not exactly a smart way to deal with your starting Qb. 

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The current offer is $8M/yr and provides future backup depth (and some starter) for the team for 3 years. It's a fair compromise, I guess, as they do not expect (nor want) him to start for long. But it's more than an outright backup contract since he is the incumbent starter and would surely start from week 1. 

Changing it to 1 yr $12M makes no sense for the team. Absent the whole package - some starting then backing up - they don't want him unless it's for much less. Or that's how it seems. It isn't a contract for $12M then $6M then $6M; those are just the amounts collected. It's $6M x 3 with a $6M SB. Why would they give him a RAISE from their offer to get what they don't even want in the first place, then next year they can do this all again? For what? He's not that good anyway. 

Well would cutting the 12 down to 8 in a one year deal work for Mac. Maybe give him a few of those incentives thrown in if the Jets make the playoffs. Or does he want to control Fitz for the rest of his career and basically cover his ass if those other guys aren't capable of starting. I guarantee you that would be it for Fitz in a Jets uni after 2016. 

Unless we don't know about negotiations between Fitz's agent and other teams and current interest in his services the Jets have really got him painted into a corner and are taking full advantage of it. Some fans say why not, don't outbid yourself. But again theoretically all teams want their starting Qbs to be happy and a couple of million isn't going to break the bank. So really the only way Fitz can market himself is to play in 2016 and right now the only real starting job available is with the Jets. btw if something happens to Geno in training camp (like another teammate punches him out-does he ever learn his lesson) then the shoes on the other.foot. The Jets don't have a starter only two young Qbs not ready. Then they could sign someone cheap for 2 mil or pay Fitz. btw imo all of this smacks of Woody in the background. Whenever you see the org act with ineptitude my first thought is that he's involved in it. 

Fitzgerald is the VP of the company who has a corner office, knows all of the ins and outs of the business and the company, but is not savvy in regard to new skills and recent industry developments. His acumen is eroding year after year.

There is value for the company to keep him, but, they also know that if they continue with this out-dated, dinosaur, their company will not advance and will not grow. It will remain flat. And in business you are other growing or dying. 

The company knows that it must do a better job of developing executives internally. They do not want to recruit high priced talent from other firms, thy just need to lay the groundwork of developing their own. They realize that committing to that doddering old man in the corner is just not a long term solution, and will not help them proposer long term. they just need to figure out a way to maybe milk a little more service from him, bit not overextend themselves.

13 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

So here is Brian Costello's take on why the Jets won't give Fitz a one year deal: http://nypost.com/2016/06/02/the-reasons-jets-object-to-one-year-ryan-fitzpatrick-solution/ He also says that people in the Jets org think a deal will get done. I read the article and don't agree with the Jets FO on any of this. It's one sided and not exactly a smart way to deal with your starting Qb. 

The article doesn't say why people in the Jets organization believe the deal will get done, so I'll fill in the blanks. Ryan Fitzpatrick is a smart guy who, once he puts emotion aside, will realize that this is the best contract offer he's ever going to get. By a wide margin. And the last time he'll be offered a starting job. 

He likes playing, he likes his teammates, and he likes money. He can enjoy all of those things once he puts pen to paper. I think he will, too. 

6 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Fitzgerald is the VP of the company who has a corner office, knows all of the ins and outs of the business and the company, but is not savvy in regard to new skills and recent industry developments. His acumen is eroding year after year.

There is value for the company to keep him, but, they also know that if they continue with this out-dated, dinosaur, their company will not advance and will not grow. It will remain flat. And in business you are other growing or dying. 

The company knows that it must do a better job of developing executives internally. They do not want to recruit high priced talent from other firms, thy just need to lay the groundwork of developing their own. They realize that committing to that doddering old man in the corner is just not a long term solution, and will not help them proposer long term. they just need to figure out a way to maybe milk a little more service from him, bit not overextend themselves.

Sure if you're willing to lose and rebuild in 2016 ok. But if you want to win and compete after a 10-6 season when we came within one play of making the playoffs you go with your best players. And if you don't see him in your future you give him a one year deal. It's all about 2016. 

34 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Sure if you're willing to lose and rebuild in 2016 ok. But if you want to win and compete after a 10-6 season when we came within one play of making the playoffs you go with your best players. And if you don't see him in your future you give him a one year deal. It's all about 2016. 

Sometimes you have to take a step backwards, in order to to take 2 forward. I do not have hope of this being a SB squad, as we sit here today. It is not a rebuild, but it is not an upper echelon either.

13 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Sometimes you have to take a step backwards, in order to to take 2 forward. I do not have hope of this being a SB squad, as we sit here today. It is not a rebuild, but it is not an upper echelon either.

I don't understand why any Jets fan would want to take a step back after a 10-6 You can still have Wilk and Revis is here and getting paid huge money. Hopefully he has a better year. Who knows next year they might cut him. So you try to take advantage of the players you have now. We might not have David Harris next year and who knows about Marshall. To me 2016 is our best chance in years to make the playoffs. We had something good going in 2015 and why blow everything up. It's way too early to do that. One of the keys in our success last season was Fitz. We would not have been 10-6 without him. And if a few other guys had made plays we might have won that Bills game. LIke the punter for example. No muffed punt no Bills TD. 

14 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

It is among other things unrealistic for this FO to consciously take the approach of taking a step back, so the term that is key in your statement is "have to".  I don't see this as a have to situation.  Perhaps they are trying to make it look like they "can't" sign a deal with Fitzpatrick, whether due to an unreasonable position on his part, the cap, or some combination of factors.  Maybe they can make that fly, but I doubt it.  And it's not like Fitzpatrick was and even now remains their only option other than the awful Smith.

I have said it before and it remains true- if the Jets go into Opening Day with Smith as the starting Qb, this off season will rightly be seen as a failure for the FO.

Just now, Rangers9 said:

I don't understand why any Jets fan would want to take a step back after a 10-6 You can still have Wilk and Revis is here and getting paid huge money. Hopefully he has a better year. Who knows next year they might cut him. So you try to take advantage of the players you have. We might not have David Harris next year and who knows about Marshall. To me 2016 is our best chance in years to make the playoffs. We had something good going in 2015 and why blow everything up. It's way too early to do that. One of the keys in our success last season was Fitz. We would not have been 10-6 without him. 

I can respect your opinion, but I don't share it. While the Jets may be a "good" team, I don't see them being a great team that can sustain a run of excellence, in order to make a run in the playoffs. 

1 minute ago, Big Blocker said:

It is among other things unrealistic for this FO to consciously take the approach of taking a step back, so the term that is key in your statement is "have to".  I don't see this as a have to situation.  Perhaps they are trying to make it look like they "can't" sign a deal with Fitzpatrick, whether due to an unreasonable position on his part, the cap, or some combination of factors.  Maybe they can make that fly, but I doubt it.  And it's not like Fitzpatrick was and even now remains their only option.

I have said it before and it remains true- if the Jets go into Opening Day with Smith as the starting Qb, this off season will rightly be seen as a failure for the FO.

I cannot hinge my evaluation of failure of a front office whether they sign a player who is at best mediocre in comparison to his peers at his position. 

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

. btw imo all of this smacks of Woody in the background. Whenever you see the org act with ineptitude my first thought is that he's involved in it. 

sigh.

I had hoped that Woody was permanently removing himself from this sort of thing.  And in this season of CT and fear running wild I am reluctant to go there.

But of course it does not take a conspiracy for Woody to involve himself in a situation like this, he has a track record of doing so (with ill effects) and he never said he was going to remove himself from this sort of thing.  And of course your second sentence is based on fair deductive reasoning.

Hopefully they get it done and Woody doesn't F it up.

Look the reason Mac was able to get Marshall so cheap was because he created problems in the locker room and didn't get along with his Qb. Reporters said they could hear Marshall screaming and yelling at players after a game. As for Cutler he played a lot better without Marshall this past season than with him. Marshall came here and had a career season. Do you think that had nothing to do with the Qb. That it was all Marshall making circus catches and bailing out Fitz. If you think like that you weren't watching games or listening to what the players had to say about Fitz. He got along with Marshall and has a great relationship with him which isn't easy. He also has a good relationship with the other Jets premium play maker, Decker. And Forte said one of the reasons he signed here was to play with Fitz because he heard from Marshall that they had something good going here and a Qb who is a leader. Now if Geno starts good luck to him but he has a poor record getting along with players. Last summer after IK punched him many of them contacted IK and gave him their support. And there were reports that several guys had said that Geno deserved it. Now Marshall has said all of the right things about Geno and maybe believes them. But when push comes to shove during the regular season and things don't go well what's going to happen. Is Geno going to be able to handle a volatile personality like Brandon Marshall. Again why change something that works. 

23 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Look the reason Mac was able to get Marshall so cheap was because he created problems in the locker room and didn't get along with his Qb. Reporters said they could hear Marshall screaming and yelling at players after a game. As for Cutler he played a lot better without Marshall this past season than with him. Marshall came here and had a career season. Do you think that had nothing to do with the Qb. That it was all Marshall making circus catches and bailing out Fitz. If you think like that you weren't watching games or listening to what the players had to say about Fitz. He got along with Marshall and has a great relationship with him which isn't easy. He also has a good relationship with the other Jets premium play maker, Decker. And Forte said one of the reasons he signed here was to play with Fitz because he heard from Marshall that they had something good going here and a Qb who is a leader. Now if Geno starts good luck to him but he has a poor record getting along with players. Last summer after IK punched him many of them contacted IK and gave him their support. And there were reports that several guys had said that Geno deserved it. Now Marshall has said all of the right things about Geno and maybe believes them. But when push comes to shove during the regular season and things don't go well what's going to happen. Is Geno going to be able to handle a volatile personality like Brandon Marshall. Again why change something that works. 

Prior to IK punching him, what reports did you have that Geno has a poor record of getting along with players?   Wasn't Marshall actually living with Geno last off season?   Decker was verbally supportive last off season as well.  Where do you get this stuff from?   If Fitz wants more than the Jets are willing to pay it is next man up, period.   Fitz is such a great leader he has never lead a single team to the playoffs.  Hell, even Tebow got a team to the playoffs.  Sorry, I truly believe this locker room stuff is WAY overblown.  If Geno plays well, and shows he has matured, he will no problem in that locker room. 

58 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I don't understand why any Jets fan would want to take a step back after a 10-6 You can still have Wilk and Revis is here and getting paid huge money. Hopefully he has a better year. Who knows next year they might cut him. So you try to take advantage of the players you have now. We might not have David Harris next year and who knows about Marshall. To me 2016 is our best chance in years to make the playoffs. We had something good going in 2015 and why blow everything up. It's way too early to do that. One of the keys in our success last season was Fitz. We would not have been 10-6 without him. And if a few other guys had made plays we might have won that Bills game. LIke the punter for example. No muffed punt no Bills TD. 

You don't know that.  Actually 2015 was our best chance because we had a cream puff schedule.  The idea that if Fitz is not signed we are some how giving up on the season is truly laughable. 

2 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Prior to IK punching him, what reports did you have that Geno has a poor record of getting along with players?   Wasn't Marshall actually living with Geno last off season?   Decker was verbally supportive last off season as well.  Where do you get this stuff from?   If Fitz wants more than the Jets are willing to pay it is next man up, period.   Fitz is such a great leader he has never lead a single team to the playoffs.  Hell, even Tebow got a team to the playoffs.  Sorry, I truly believe this locker room stuff is WAY overblown.  If Geno plays well, and shows he has matured, he will no problem in that locker room. 

Pryor was on record saying he's sees growth in Geno because he's actually talking to his teammates this year. So yeah.

33 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Look the reason Mac was able to get Marshall so cheap was because he created problems in the locker room and didn't get along with his Qb. Reporters said they could hear Marshall screaming and yelling at players after a game. As for Cutler he played a lot better without Marshall this past season than with him. Marshall came here and had a career season. Do you think that had nothing to do with the Qb. That it was all Marshall making circus catches and bailing out Fitz. If you think like that you weren't watching games or listening to what the players had to say about Fitz. He got along with Marshall and has a great relationship with him which isn't easy. He also has a good relationship with the other Jets premium play maker, Decker. And Forte said one of the reasons he signed here was to play with Fitz because he heard from Marshall that they had something good going here and a Qb who is a leader. Now if Geno starts good luck to him but he has a poor record getting along with players. Last summer after IK punched him many of them contacted IK and gave him their support. And there were reports that several guys had said that Geno deserved it. Now Marshall has said all of the right things about Geno and maybe believes them. But when push comes to shove during the regular season and things don't go well what's going to happen. Is Geno going to be able to handle a volatile personality like Brandon Marshall. Again why change something that works

What have they changed?  The know Fitzpatricks value and are not going to bid against themselves.   The ball is in Fitz court if he wants to play for the Jets this season. 

9 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Look you're kind of right in a way. But there were reports (and some of the sources are not that great) that some Jets players said that Geno deserved it. And that IK said that a lot of Jets players called him up and supported him. But imo this is not a year to give Geno another try out. It's a year we can compete. And who knows what players won't be on this team next year. This could be the season to make a run for it. And Fitz gives us our best chance to win not Geno. 

1 minute ago, JetBlue said:

What have they changed?  The know Fitzpatricks value and are not going to bid against themselves.   The ball is in Fitz court if he wants to play for the Jets this season. 

two main things mccags does differently than idzik and tanny:

1) real scouting

2) sets a value for players and doesn't pay more or get bullied by agents.

i think this whole fitz thing is interesting.  mccags and bowles want fitz back.  fitz's teammates want him back, with geno the possible lone exception.  but they only want him back on their terms.  if fitz doesn't agree to them, then geno is the starter.  it's not that the jets are bidding against themselves.  it's all based on the value mccags sets for players.  

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

I cannot hinge my evaluation of failure of a front office whether they sign a player who is at best mediocre in comparison to his peers at his position. 

I don't know why you read my post to be specifically about Fitzpatrick.  ANY realistic alternative would be better than Smith.  And there were, and are, other options.  The worst option is ending up with Smith.

Maybe you would have understood my post better if I had used more legal terms in it.

1 minute ago, Big Blocker said:

I don't know why you read my post to be specifically about Fitzpatrick.  ANY realistic alternative would be better than Smith.  And there were, and are, other options.  The worst option is ending up with Smith.

Maybe you would have understood my post better if I had used more legal terms in it.

Disagree Smith isn't the same QB he was a few years ago he has matured and he had the opportunity to watch Fitz and tutor under Gailey he has all the pieces to be successful here no excuses anymore. 

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

two main things mccags does differently than idzik and tanny:

1) real scouting

2) sets a value for players and doesn't pay more or get bullied by agents.

i think this whole fitz thing is interesting.  mccags and bowles want fitz back.  fitz's teammates want him back, with geno the possible lone exception.  but they only want him back on their terms.  if fitz doesn't agree to them, then geno is the starter.  it's not that the jets are bidding against themselves.  it's all based on the value mccags sets for players.  

I believe that Bowles wants Fitz back more than Big Mac does.

8 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Disagree Smith isn't the same QB he was a few years ago he has matured and he had the opportunity to watch Fitz and tutor under Gailey he has all the pieces to be successful here no excuses anymore. 

wishful thinking is not the same as facts.

Archived