Big Reason Fitz is Still Unsigned - Hackenberg

JetBlue

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Hack was projected to be a 2nd-4th round QB, Paxton Lynch was projected as a 1st round QB, hence more leverage

Green glasses on :)  I agree the OTA angle can help but not as much as production on the field (Hackenburg was bad in the Big10)

Lynch was bad when the level of the competition stepped up at the end of his last season.  Some dropped their projections out of the 1st round because of it.

its all a crapshoot which is why I don't know how much leverage anyone has

9 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Because he's a miserable person who thinks he's making others miserable.  

Hes a child I'm guessing.  No adult would spend the last 24 hours following us around just to put in a net rep. 

Which begs the question... Why are the two of you double-teaming a child?

10 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Look, 4 positive reps and a dickhead who's following me negative reping every post.

@Bowlemovement need to grow up already.  You are owned chump. 

Stop with the personal attacks.  Not allowed here.  If you have the need to share your disdain please private message them. Nobody else wants to read this nonsense. Thank you.  

10 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Why would any fan of this team NEGATIVE rep a picture of a hopefully promising rookie QB's soon to be jersey. 

BowelMovement you are a LOSER dont respond because I have you on IGNORE and I wont be able to read it. 

Ok so you wil no longer be calling anyone a loser here?  Good cause bout ready to warn you about it.  No personal attacks.

20 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Macc sees this kid taking over the reigns next season or at worst 2018.  There is no reason to overpay for Fitz when it obvious he is not taking this team anywhere this year and mostly would be a back up next year.

"Yeah but we are win now team".  This is the biggest crock of sh*t and I get so tired of hearing it.  This team is NOT winning a Superbowl and that is the only WIN we should be concerned about.   We are building a nice young core while being to stay competitive with enough quality vets who will be passing the torch over the next few seasons.   

In Hackenberg, we have a bona fide "franchise quarterback" in training.   Anyone who is evaluating him based on what he is doing in OTAs is clueless.   I am so sick of reading about Fitzpatrick and his mediocre ass.  If he signs fine; if not I am fine with Geno for one season and then let the Hackenberg era begin (assuming he wins the job, which I think he will.)

I agree. I think the Fitz-Magic is over. Macc would sign Fitz, but it will be at Macc's price. I dont think Fitz will accept it, and the more time Geno has with the 1's the more coaches may think that Geno could be good enough. 

Its not that the Jets wouldnt want Fitz back, they're just not going to pay him what he believes he's worth and imo I think its because the Jets think the scheme/targets were a much bigger part of the offensive success than it was Fitzpatrick. The Jets actions these past few months speak louder than their talks during their interviews. 

Going from "not negotiating in the press" to releasing info about the contract in order to put to rest the negative speculation about lowballing Fitz shows that the Jets will not budge unless Geno suddenly looks terrible during OTA's/Training camp or he gets hurt. 

Some people feel like Fitz signing a 3 year 24 million dollar deal with 12 guaranteed isnt enough, but that deal from my understanding came with incentives that can make that deal 36 million dollars in total, which is 12 million per year. However, I would reckon that the incentives are playoffs based. If Fitz doesnt sign that deal (basically guaranteeing him 12 million per for as long as the Jets are a playoff team) then there's no reason to sign him. Furthermore, I think it says alot about a QB that would probably take 12 a year if it was straight out but wont take it if its based on the incentive of making the playoffs.

That in itself leaves me more than comfortable seeing what Geno has, especially since its his contract year and he'll be playing for another starting contract either with the Jets or elsewhere. Granted, The Jets could sit Fitz for Hackenberg the following season whether he makes the playoffs or not, but all Fitz has to say is "If I make the playoffs and you guys sit me for Hackenberg/whomever and the team still makes the playoffs I expect that incentive salary. I think that he'll probably have a better chance of negotiating that than getting a straight 3 year 36 million dollar (or more) deal. 

I think more people would appreciate how Macc is handling this situation if not for their dislike for Geno Smith. However, outside of feelings Macc is playing this correctly. He's not jumping out the window for a QB who's never shown that he can consistently be that guy while at the same time having QB's currently on the roster that talent wise has higher upside. 

17 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Yup.  Because you know what has happened in he past will always happen in he future no matter what.  Just as you know that any team with Sanchez at QB will always get to the AFC title game but never win the super bowl.  Perfectly logical.

so then how do we know what would happen w/ Geno?

any team w/ Mark has a better chance of winning than any team with Fitz.  

9 hours ago, Powpow said:

Whats the point?  this article is meaningless.   Mac is in a win win win situation.   If he signs Fitz and he has a great year, Mac looks great. If Fitz is average, Mac still looks good for the effort to field a team with the best chance to win. If Fitz fizzles or doesn't sign, Mac still looks great - 'I tried'.  If Geno starts and bombs as the result of no Fitz, then Mac still looks good because hey its Geno.  If Geno plays 'decent' Mac looks good for riding out the storm.  He really can't lose here so this 'article' is bogus.  Mac isn't offering anywhere near the insane amount Flynn or Schaub or Osweiller received.      

Lol, that's exactly the point of the article. It's about the position they're taking, and why they're not raising their offer. The only way they lose is by offering Fitz closer to what he wants, only to have him regress to his mean. And they're wisely not risking that. 

20 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

They do? Based on what? Hopes and dreams?

Based on Gailey, Macc, Bowles and their scouts watching tons of film, working him out, interviewing him and then drafting him in the 2nd round, when all the "experts" felt he would go in the 3 or 4th round.   I have alot more confidence in their judgement than yours.

Just now, JetBlue said:

Based on Gailey, Macc, Bowles and their scouts watching tons of film, working him out, interviewing him and then drafting him in the 2nd round, when all the "experts" felt he would go in the 3 or 4th round.   I have alot more confident in their judgement than yours.

As well you should. I am not a professional scout, but teams get quarterbacks wrong all the time. There is nothing about his game or his draft position that guarantees he will be a franchise QB. Nothing. Don't get your hopes up.

19 hours ago, Beerfish said:

The Jets for sure have a 'shot' if Fitz is the QB this year.  You make the playoffs in this league you get hot and you can be a winner, the friggin Giants should have taught us this much.  If we had a real good QB we would have a better shot but this team still does have talent elsewhere to make noise.

11 years, no playoffs.... If he signs, I will root for him, If not I will root for Geno, who was the quarterback for an 8 win team as a rookie.  The hope is that Hackenberg is that "real good" quarterback in 2017 and we can compete for the playoffs and beyond for years to come. 

17 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Yup.  Because you know what has happened in he past will always happen in he future no matter what.  Just as you know that any team with Sanchez at QB will always get to the AFC title game but never win the super bowl.  Perfectly logical.

Just like you know Geno can't quarterback this team to compete for a playoff spot.  See how this works? 

12 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

As well you should. I am not a professional scout, but teams get quarterbacks wrong all the time. There is nothing about his game or his draft position that guarantees he will be a franchise QB. Nothing. Don't get your hopes up.

No I will get my hopes up. It is killjoys like you who take all the fun out of sports. 

15 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

Hack is not going to ever see the field in a Jets uniform, becasue Geno is going to start, kick ass, then get tagged, then kick ass again, and then get signed to a long lucrative deal.

:P

If Fitz is not the starting QB (which means the Jets didn't sign him) I want the Jets to go with Hack or Petty not Geno Smith because we already got a 2 year (1 game in third year) sample size of him and it sucked it sucked bad.

Hack can run a pro style offense and he actually ran it better his first year as a freshman with Obrien, that's what the Jets were banking on when they drafted him and Im pretty sure Gailey knows QB's. 

7 hours ago, JetBlue said:

11 years, no playoffs.... If he signs, I will root for him, If not I will root for Geno, who was the quarterback for an 8 win team as a rookie.  The hope is that Hackenberg is that "real good" quarterback in 2017 and we can compete for the playoffs and beyond for years to come. 

sorry but you don't make the playoffs playing QB for bad teams Just ask Drew Brees and Phillip Rivers and Matt Ryan and Matt Stafford and just about any QB playing for a crappy team.

The Jets did not make the playoffs last year because the literally gave away 4 games AS A TEAM.

Fitz played for bad football teams prior to his starting for the Jets and the year he was lighting it up with the Bills that netted him a large contract the entire offense got injured and the Bills fell off a cliff.

Using the "not making the playoffs argument" is a piss poor way to evaluate a QB in what might be the most team oriented sport in all of sports. Do some QB's carry teams ? Yes but they always get exposed come playoff time Teams with major deficiencies do not win SB's just ask Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers who may get their teams to the playoffs but can't win the big one because they do not have well rounded teams. Ask Dan Marino and Dan Fouts. I would much rather the Jets have a Great team and a good QB than have an elite QB and a team with holes that continuously lets you down every year in the playoffs. Again for the 9 millionth time TEAMS WIN SB's NOT QB's .

8 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

sorry but you don't make the playoffs playing QB for bad teams Just ask Drew Brees and Phillip Rivers and Matt Ryan and Matt Stafford and just about any QB playing for a crappy team.

The Jets did not make the playoffs last year because the literally gave away 4 games AS A TEAM.

Fitz played for bad football teams prior to his starting for the Jets and the year he was lighting it up with the Bills that netted him a large contract the entire offense got injured and the Bills fell off a cliff.

Using the "not making the playoffs argument" is a piss poor way to evaluate a QB in what might be the most team oriented sport in all of sports. Do some QB's carry teams ? Yes but they always get exposed come playoff time Teams with major deficiencies do not win SB's just ask Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers who may get their teams to the playoffs but can't win the big one because they do not have well rounded teams. Ask Dan Marino and Dan Fouts. I would much rather the Jets have a Great team and a good QB than have an elite QB and a team with holes that continuously lets you down every year in the playoffs. Again for the 9 millionth time TEAMS WIN SB's NOT QB's .

Last year they used the fact that he has never had a winning record incessantly to bash anyone with hopes that Fitz would be our starter and play well. 

Well he blew that away and instead of admitting their mistake they just switched to the playoff thing. As if 10-6 is not a playoff worthy record. It's obvious trolling at it's worst since plenty of QBs have made the playoffs with much worse records. The guy finished the season 5-1 and they all harp on the one loss as if that was the only one that mattered. Fitz is not a franchise QB but he is a good starter, and on another level than anyone we've had around here in a decade just as I said before the season last year. 

Some people just can't admit they don't know what they're talking about so they double down on their ignorance. 

7 hours ago, slats said:

Lol, that's exactly the point of the article. It's about the position they're taking, and why they're not raising their offer. The only way they lose is by offering Fitz closer to what he wants, only to have him regress to his mean. And they're wisely not risking that. 

LOL didn't read it all - I saw 62 mill to Schaub and SMH since this is nowhere near offer to Fitz so why compare the two.  I don't care either way.  Before all is said and done, Fitz will be the Jets starting QB in 2016.   

1 hour ago, BowlesMovement said:

Hack is not going to ever see the field in a Jets uniform, becasue Geno is going to start, kick ass, then get tagged, then kick ass again, and then get signed to a long lucrative deal.

I think I'm supposed to laugh now right BM :)

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

:P

If Fitz is not the starting QB (which means the Jets didn't sign him) I want the Jets to go with Hack or Petty not Geno Smith because we already got a 2 year (1 game in third year) sample size of him and it sucked it sucked bad.

Hack can run a pro style offense and he actually ran it better his first year as a freshman with Obrien, that's what the Jets were banking on when they drafted him and Im pretty sure Gailey knows QB's. 

I think you are ignoring all of the HOF QBs who have had bad starts to their QB collages, if they were able to turn it around, there is zero reason the believe Geno can't do it. It's pretty basic logic.

21 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

I think I'm supposed to laugh now right BM :)

That's up to you, I don't believe in giving people orders. Once I told my dog to sit, and he thought I said Sh!t, and it was gross and smelled bad in my living room for two weeks. So after that I stopped giving orders.

Archived