Most memorable play in Jets History?

Sarge4Tide

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

How do you figure?  IIRC, didn't it give them a 1st down instead of a 4th down and we were up by 10 kind of late in the 4th quarter?

Wasn't Mark Gastineau that had 14 first downs for the entire game and none in two overtimes plus the last (?) minutes of the fourth quarter.

Wasn't Mark Gastineau that got burned for a bomb  on that same drive after Gastineau's penalty gave them a first at their own thirty three with 3 and change left. 

There is plenty of blame to go around, is my point. You can point to that one play but the whole game looms bigger than that one play.

16 hours ago, peebag said:

Ended a lot of years of non playoff football

That play didn't, that season did but that was a great play. one of the most memorable in our history.

14 hours ago, Bocajetfan said:

Marty Lyons vs Buffalo Bills giving him the business. Sorry don't know how to post the vidio

I was going to post but someone beat me to it.

13 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

I was thinking the Doug Brien missed FG at PITT 2004 but yes, you have said it all right here^^^^^^^^^

The Doug Brien blunder cost us a trip to the AFC Championship game, the buttfumble made what was already going to be a blowout a bigger one in an awful season yet Jet fans are more upset at the buttfumble.

Great question. Sadly most of them are probably in the negative. 

Positive (In my lifetime)

1 .Wesley catch in the shootout

2. Shonn Greene run to seal the deal vs. Pats

3. Jumbo catch

4. Chrebet catch in Tampa 

5. Sanchez TD to Santonio to cap comeback win vs. Texans (Great moment, but it was first game I had my kid with me at)

Negative

1. Vinny tearing Achilles'

2. Gastineau play 

3. Bledsoe hit

4. Butt fumble

5. Fitz INT in end zone vs. Buf (Becasue every thread has to have a Fitz mention)

21 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Gastineaus roughing the passer is much worse

Thought of that immediately.

Most famous isn't even a play.   It's Joe running off the field after SB III, waving his finger in the air.

20 hours ago, Pcola said:

Lots of great ones.  Didn't see the Keyshawn Bowl where Chrebet caught the game winning TD.  

I was at that game in Tampa..best time I ever had at a game. 

Sadly, most of the plays I think of as "most memorable" brought me great pain and sadness. 

The individual plays that bring positive memories? 

1) shonn green breaking a big one for a nail-in-the-coffin vs. chargers

2) I had a great party for the Dolphin game where ???? Kicked us into the playoffs at 8-8. 

3) jumbo Elliot Monday night miracle

4) game winner to walker in Miami shootout.

its so sad that I'm struggling to find positive memories, but I could write a manifesto about the negative ones.

9 minutes ago, Shadetree said:

I was at that game in Tampa..best time I ever had at a game. 

Sadly, most of the plays I think of as "most memorable" brought me great pain and sadness. 

The individual plays that bring positive memories? 

1) shonn green breaking a big one for a nail-in-the-coffin vs. chargers

2) I had a great party for the Dolphin game where ???? Kicked us into the playoffs at 8-8. 

3) jumbo Elliot Monday night miracle

4) game winner to walker in Miami shootout.

its so sad that I'm struggling to find positive memories, but I could write a manifesto about the negative ones.

2)Raul Allegre

raul-allegre.jpg

r39947_576x324_16-9.jpg

this second photo is great, I see Scott Mersereau, Paul Frase, Louie Aguiar, Allegre, Dennis Byrd and Kippy Brown.

14 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

2)Raul Allegre

raul-allegre.jpg

r39947_576x324_16-9.jpg

this second photo is great, I see Scott Mersereau, Paul Frase, Louie Aguiar, Allegre, Dennis Byrd and Kippy Brown.

Ha...awesome photo is right. Why don't they bring back those unis for a throwback game? 

EDIT: With the white face masks, not the black!! That would be sweet!

21 hours ago, Matt39 said:

bubby-brister-shovel-pass-o.gif

as bad as the buttfumble was I think this was worse b/c our guys had talked trash all week headiing into that game against the winless expansion Panthers and they whopped us and got their first ever win and that play symbolized that era for us.

Lots of good ones already listed, I would add Lance Mehl's INT to ice divisional playoff against Oakland in the '82 season and Vinny T hitting Dedric Ward in Buffalo to win the AFC East in '98

13 hours ago, nyjunc said:

That play didn't, that season did but that was a great play. one of the most memorable in our history.

I was going to post but someone beat me to it.

The Doug Brien blunder cost us a trip to the AFC Championship game, the buttfumble made what was already going to be a blowout a bigger one in an awful season yet Jet fans are more upset at the buttfumble.

I could care less about the butt fumble. More of an indictment on Sanchez than the jets, so it never bothered me, especially because the game was lost already.  Besides that botched Colts fake punt thing against the Patriots is definitely the worst play in nfl history. 

But those Doug brien missed field goals... I mean... Rarely in life do you ever get a second chance, and he did. And he blew It twice. Those two horrible kicks had such an impact on our team in so many ways. We had a very very good team and not saying we would have won the super bowl, but we would have had a chance, and we got knocked out because he missed 2 field goals. Then because of that we waste our first pick that year on a kicker. Just terrible. I will never forget that game. Disgusting. 

Well my personal favorite will always be Chrebets catch in the game against Tampa mainly because I was there.

One that doesn't really stand out IMO is Shaun Ellis"s interception off Brady in the Divisional  playoff game on the Patriots 1st drive.Totally changed the momentum of the game.

15 minutes ago, slowmoe57 said:

Well my personal favorite will always be Chrebets catch in the game against Tampa mainly because I was there.

One that doesn't really stand out IMO is Shaun Ellis"s interception off Brady in the Divisional  playoff game on the Patriots 1st drive.Totally changed the momentum of the game.

That was not Shaun Ellis that intercepted Brady, it was David Harris....

54 minutes ago, slowmoe57 said:

I stand corrected -- but still that play was huge.

But I did forget to mention that I can see why you would have thought it was Ellis. Shaun Ellis was the best player on the field that day from either team. I think he had 2 or 3 sacks that day and was a total menace for the Patsy offense. I still think Shaun Ellis saved his very best for last because I did not see him having a better game any other time in his playing career.

On 6/2/2016 at 3:32 PM, jetfan39 said:

my most memorable play goes back to the 1968 play-off game against the raiders,  the raiders were driving for the go ahead td with very little time left and were inside the jets 20 when stabler threw a backwards pass that fell to the ground and the running back did not pick it up and larry grantham fell on the ball and the jets ran out the clock and went to the super bowl.

It was Daryle Lamonica that threw the lateral, not Stabler. He didn't take over for another year.

On 6/2/2016 at 9:29 PM, TuscanyTile2 said:

How do you figure?  IIRC, didn't it give them a 1st down instead of a 4th down and we were up by 10 kind of late in the 4th quarter?

Johnny Lynn dropped two potential interceptions AFTER that play, so no Gastineau's late hit did not cost the Jets the game directly, though it did help the Browns.

4 hours ago, Ex-Rex said:

It was Daryle Lamonica that threw the lateral, not Stabler. He didn't take over for another year.

thanks for the correction.  my long term memory has finally gone the way of my short term memory although I still remember the game and situation because I sent the wife and kids to her mothers and told her not come back until i called. we divorced not soon after that

On 6/4/2016 at 0:37 AM, jett said:

I could care less about the butt fumble. More of an indictment on Sanchez than the jets, so it never bothered me, especially because the game was lost already.  Besides that botched Colts fake punt thing against the Patriots is definitely the worst play in nfl history. 

But those Doug brien missed field goals... I mean... Rarely in life do you ever get a second chance, and he did. And he blew It twice. Those two horrible kicks had such an impact on our team in so many ways. We had a very very good team and not saying we would have won the super bowl, but we would have had a chance, and we got knocked out because he missed 2 field goals. Then because of that we waste our first pick that year on a kicker. Just terrible. I will never forget that game. Disgusting. 

I think we would have lost to NE the following week BUT we would have had a chance and we should have had a chance. 

On 6/4/2016 at 10:05 AM, JOJOTOWNSELL said:

one that always stood out for me was Dedric Ward wide right to catch the TD from Vinny up in buffalo to help Jets win AFC east title

I love that play, I made the long trek up to Orchard Park for that game and I will never forget that play.

Archived