Cut Geno

johnnyjet

• Replies 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Powpow said:

Tom Brady makes those guys go to guys. Geno makes them unemployed.

Could say the same for Marshall and Decker making Fitz employable.

But then I remember Fitz is unemployed and no team wants him.

1 hour ago, Powpow said:

What does it say when comparing arguably the greatest QB of all-time making guys "go to guys", to Geno Smith playing with targets, whom without Tom Brady would be unemployed? 

How does that make Geno look bad? That simply makes Geno look like he's obviously not arguably the greatest QB ever, however it makes the targets look like trash either way. 

See what I just did? :-) 

49 minutes ago, Powpow said:

44 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

And whats even funnier is that the primary reason why Fitz is unemployed is because he wants to be paid like a Tom Brady, as if Fitz made Marshall/Decker "go-to-guys" and not the other way around. 

16 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

And whats even funnier is that the primary reason why Fitz is unemployed is because he wants to be paid like a Tom Brady, as if Fitz made Marshall/Decker "go-to-guys" and not the other way around. 

I just don't get the amount of hate Geno gets. You would have thought he played 4 or 5 seasons or something.  The guy played TWO FULL SEASONS and never should have got off the bench in the first one.   He played well the last quarter of his second season, looked pretty good in camp going into his third when the "Punch" derailed his season.  Would he have eventually lost his job to Fitz, possibly, who knows?  He could also have finally put it together and established himself as a developing young qb with upside.  We will never know.   What I do know is the hate is borderline pathological.  I mean why would anyone want to cut the guy on the last year of a very cap friendly contact even if it is just to back up Fitz?   He has had a full season to watch from the sidelines and that has to make some difference (accept to those who insist he can't learn...). 

The guy is a Jet and I tend to root for guys in on the team to improve and do well, not to fail so I can be proven right. 

1 minute ago, SouthernJet said:

Sad that after 3 picks we havent hit yet,,I like Mac so I hold hope for Petty/Hack. Will tell w/Petty this year.. geno, cut him for all I care

Geno deserves a chance with a real offense a real head coach a real OC and real WRs when he gets that and fails I will stop rooting for him. 

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Geno deserves a chance with a real offense a real head coach a real OC and real WRs when he gets that and fails I will stop rooting for him to succeed. 

disagree, he cant read progressions, has ZERO to do w/quality of WR. I saw him look to slow to 2nd WR spot, he cant react quick enuf after primary for NFL. 

1 minute ago, SouthernJet said:

disagree, he cant read progressions, has ZERO to do w/quality of WR. I saw him look to slow to 2nd WR spot, he cant react quick enuf after primary for NFL. 

You are a QB expert? or a former OC or head coach in the NFL? 

Just now, SouthernJet said:

No just have eyes

Good Progression Read QBs, as they look of Primary theyare cocking arm before turning to where #2 WR is. They stop arm if when they actually visually see Wr he is covered. If open they are already in throqwing motion. geno looks and finds 2nd WR then cocks arm. HUGE time difference. Forget about a 3rd WR, the pocket has collapsed by then.

Just now, SouthernJet said:

Good Progression Read QBs, as they look of Primary theyare cocking arm if Primary covered, before turning to where #2 WR is. It helps fool safety or drop LB where your going. They stop arm if when they actually visually see 2nd Wr he is covered. If open they are already in throwing motion. geno looks and finds 2nd WR then cocks arm. HUGE time difference. Forget about a 3rd WR, the pocket has collapsed by then.

3 hours ago, SouthernJet said:

No just have eyes

I you have eyes, (which obviously you do) then you know that it wasnt 30mph winds that was Fitzpatricks problem....especially in that 4th quarter. To prove that, go look at both games the Jets played vs the Bills. Fitz stats are virtually identical. 

The dude played bad, and there's nothing wrong about admitting that especially when people are so quick to talk about what they "see" with Geno Smith. 

Just thought I point out that while you may be correct about his short comings in the past, do you believe Geno is incapable of improving?

After all a baby cant walk when it first tries but with time it will run.

Like many, you fail to take in to account the stupidity of putting him out there in his rookie year.

I and many others are in no way insinuating that Geno is a lock to succeed. Yet, I personally, want to make sure that we're not throwing away an excellent player because of past growing pains.

50 minutes ago, fltflo said:

Just thought I point out that while you may be correct about his short comings in the past, do you believe Geno is incapable of improving?

Like many, you fail to take in to account the stupidity of putting him out there in his rookie year.

I and many others are in no way insinuating that Geno is a lock to succeed. Yet, I personally, want to make sure that we're not throwing away an excellent player because of past growing pains.

Exactly. This dude acts like improvement is a alien concept when it comes to Geno. His teammates have had positive things to say and he has a much better team to play with. I knew New York fans can be downers but this is just sad.

1 hour ago, fltflo said:

20 minutes ago, NYPaperAirplanes said:

Exactly. This dude acts like improvement is a alien concept when it comes to Geno. His teammates have had positive things to say and he has a much better team to play with. I knew New York fans can be downers but this is just sad.

improvement in geno smiths game can absolutely happen. how about he shows the improvement before we gift him his 4th starting gig. you know, like let him earn it. gifting him his 3 starting qb gigs previous didn't work out so well

1 hour ago, fltflo said:

The guy's had 29 starts and has consistently played poorly. No it's not impossible that he can be a good player. But there were reasons he dropped in the 2013 draft and most were tied to lack of leadership. And he's really so far proven that with the Jets on and off the field. Teams make decisions on players and all of them have either cut or not re-signed guys who eventually had good careers. You can't hold up your team's progress by waiting for someone to develop past a certain point. If he does well somewhere else more power to him. He obviously has to take advantage of opportunities he may get in the future and be very good to get a chance to play. He got a game last year and didn't take advantage of it and showed no ability to spark the team. He's valuable as a backup and to me that's his immediate future in the NFL. I do not waste 2016 as a try out year for him. When we have the talent to win now. 

I've gone back and forth on this one.  Initially I said keep him around because he's the only experienced back-up on the roster once Fitz re-signs.  Then, once the Jets drafted Hack while offering Fitz a deal to come back, I figured may as well cut bait.  They're clearly not interested in him for the future, may as well just free up a roster spot.  Now I've come full circle.  At the very least, let him compete in camp to see if Gailey has managed to turn him in to a serviceable player, giving them a shot at having a better situation than most teams at the no. 2 spot.

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

The guy's had 29 starts and has consistently played poorly. No it's not impossible that he can be a good player. But there were reasons he dropped in the 2013 draft and most were tied to lack of leadership. And he's really so far proven that with the Jets on and off the field. Teams make decisions on players and all of them have either cut or not re-signed guys who eventually had good careers. You can't hold up your team's progress by waiting for someone to develop past a certain point. If he does well somewhere else more power to him. He obviously has to take advantage of opportunities he may get in the future and be very good to get a chance to play. He got a game last year and didn't take advantage of it and showed no ability to spark the team. He's valuable as a backup and to me that's his immediate future in the NFL. I do not waste 2016 as a try out year for him. When we have the talent to win now. 

Let me use your words. ^^^^

Fitz had 112 starts and has consistently underachieved (11 years). No, its not impossible that he can be a good player, but there were reasons why Fitz was a 7th round draft pick and not a 1st or 2nd round pick and most was tied to something far beyond just being a "leader", and he's pretty much proven that with the under achievement with the Rams, Bengals, Bills, Titans, Texans and the Jets on the field with the playoffs on the line. Teams make decisions on players and not all players are worth 12+ million because they had their best statistical season in 11 seasons with what should have been a playoff team (underachievement). You cant hold up your teams progress by waiting for some bridge quarterback to come to the realization that he's not worth starter money. If he comes WAY down in price, then more power to him. He obviously has to take advantage of the parts the Jets have given him which produced those stats, or those parts will be given to Geno. Geno got a game last year and did much better than what salty Jets fans give him credit for. Fitz is valuable as a bridge QB/back up at best and thats his immediate future in the NFL. The Jets wont waste 2016 paying Fitzpatrick his asking price when we have the talent to win now and a young QB that showed enough to keep Fitz sidelined whether fans like to admit it, or not. 

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

Let me use your words. ^^^^

Fitz had 112 starts and has consistently underachieved (11 years). No, its not impossible that he can be a good player, but there were reasons why Fitz was a 7th round draft pick and not a 1st or 2nd round pick and most was tied to something far beyond just being a "leader", and he's pretty much proven that with the under achievement with the Rams, Bengals, Bills, Titans, Texans and the Jets on the field with the playoffs on the line. Teams make decisions on players and not all players are worth 12+ million because they had their best statistical season in 11 seasons with what should have been a playoff team (underachievement). You cant hold up your teams progress by waiting for some bridge quarterback to come to the realization that he's not worth starter money. If he comes WAY down in price, then more power to him. He obviously has to take advantage of the parts the Jets have given him which produced those stats, or those parts will be given to Geno. Geno got a game last year and did much better than what salty Jets fans give him credit for. Fitz is valuable as a bridge QB/back up at best and thats his immediate future in the NFL. The Jets wont waste 2016 paying Fitzpatrick his asking price when we have the talent to win now and a young QB that showed enough to keep Fitz sidelined whether fans like to admit it, or not. 

Yeah but wasn't Fitz good enough to start most of his games as an NFL Qb even though he was a 7th rounder. And he's actually been a lot better than you don't give him credit for and has won 16 of his last 28 starts including 10 with the Jets last year. And the coaching staff, GM and players want him back as the starter and the job is still his if he signs. They are even keeping his locker ready. Whereas Geno was rated worst Qb in the NFL two years straight. And even after Fitz broke his thumb Bowles still started Fitz. And while Fitz is loved by his teammates Geno was punched out by a teammate and the other guys on the team didn't exactly come out and support him. And after all that (and I'm out of breath) like about a few dozen guys for what ever reason still want Geno to start. 

8 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Yeah but wasn't Fitz good enough to start most of his games as an NFL Qb even though he was a 7th rounder. And he's actually been a lot better than you don't give him credit for and has won 16 of his last 28 starts including 10 with the Jets last year. And the coaching staff, GM and players want him back as the starter and the job is still his if he signs. They are even keeping his locker ready. Whereas Geno was rated worst Qb in the NFL two years straight. And even after Fitz broke his thumb Bowles still started Fitz. And while Fitz is loved by his teammates Geno was punched out by a teammate and the other guys on the team didn't exactly come out and support him. And after all that (and I'm out of breath) like about a few dozen guys for what ever reason still want Geno to start. 

No, Fitz wasnt good enough to start most of his games as an NFL QB even though he was a 7th rounder.  Let me provide you with the actual breakdown of Ryan Fitzpatrick's career. 

Rams. Coming into the eleventh game of the regular season in the second quarter against the Houston Texans to replace injured veteran journeyman Jaime Martin. Fitzpatrick led the Rams from a 24–3 halftime deficit to a 33–27 overtime win. He was unable to duplicate his debut performance in the games he started with the Rams and was replaced by Martin after halftime the following week. Fitz was traded to the Bengals for a 7th round pick. 

Bengals. Due to an injury to starting quarterback Carson Palmer, Fitzpatrick made his first Bengals start on September 28, 2008 against the Browns. Fitz lost 7 of his first 9 games with the bengals, only earning 1 win and the other game ending in a tie during that beginning stretch. Bengals released him at the end of the season and  he eventually signed as a FA with the Bills. 

Bills. Fitz made his first appearance on October 18, 2009 against the New York Jets when starter Trent Edwards went down with an injury, leading the Bills to a 16–13 overtime win, while throwing for 116 yards with a touchdown and an interception. Fitzpatrick started the following two games, resulting in a win over the Panthers and loss to the Texans. This was Fitzpatrick most stable stint of his career. He was ultimately released in 2013, just one year after signing a huge contract with the Bills. He ultimately signed with the Titans as a FA.

Titans. Fitzpatrick signed a two-year contract with the Tennessee Titans. He replaced Jake Locker for the Titans in Week 4 due to an injury in the third quarter. Fitzpatrick played in 11 games and started 9 of them. He finished the season with a 3–6 record as the starting quarterback, in which he was released on March 14, 2014 and replaced by Charlie Whitehurst. He only played one season with the Titans.

Texans.Fitzpatrick signed a two-year contract with the Houston Texans. He was named the Texans' starting quarterback by new Head Coach Bill O'Brien on June 17, but was demoted to second on the Houston Texans depth chart on November 5, 2014, replaced as starter by Ryan Mallett. On November 23, 2014 Mallett tore his pectoral muscle and Fitzpatrick was renamed the starter. Against the Colts Fitzpatrick scrambled for a two-yard gain, was tripped up, and ended up with a fractured tibia, ending his season. He was replaced by rookie Tom Savage. Houston traded Fitz to the Jets for a late round pick at the end of the season. 

Jets. Following an incident in the locker room, when starting quarterback Geno Smith was punched and left with a broken jaw (injury), Fitzpatrick was tentatively named the Week 1 starter for the Jets. Fitz had his best season statistically but is now unemployed because he wants to be paid like an actual starting QB. 

Ryan Fitzpatrick has NEVER earned a starting QB spot for any club he played for. The only time that he was close was in Houston, where he was then demoted to a back up role and replaced by Ryan Mallet. The only reason why Fitz has even played all of these games is because of injury. Everywhere he goes its as if the starting QB suddenly gets injured. I probably wouldnt sign him just based on that aura around him! lol. This has literally happened on every team Fitz has been on and THIS is ultimately why Fitz has started football games....NOT because he was considered "good enough" to receive the starting job by winning or earning it, and then keeping the job. Every team ultimately traded him or let him walk, with 3 of the 6 teams he played for releasing him after just 1 season. 

How do you have such criticism for a guy that has only played 2 seasons, and is still under a rookie deal in Geno Smith yet at the same time ignore all of this information provided above? Was his Jets performance REALLY that good?....I wouldnt say so especially looking at his performances against his former teams that we played as well as week 17 with the playoffs on the line. I can pretty much guarantee that your consistent praise for Fitzpatrick has more to do with your disdain for Geno then it actually has to do with Fitzpatrick.

You keep talking about the Jets wanting him back, okay, but they dont want him back at the price that he's requesting because they KNOW BETTER. You're only telling half the story. 

Now you know why this image exists.

fitzpatrick.jpg?quality=90&w=650&h=749

12 hours ago, fltflo said:

I think he can 100% improve EXCEPT in area of Progression reads. You wither have ability coming out of college or dont. You can hone it in NFL if you have it, but sadly he never had it coming into league. I have SAME worry about Petty by the way........

11 hours ago, AFJF said:

I've gone back and forth on this one.  Initially I said keep him around because he's the only experienced back-up on the roster once Fitz re-signs.  Then, once the Jets drafted Hack while offering Fitz a deal to come back, I figured may as well cut bait.  They're clearly not interested in him for the future, may as well just free up a roster spot.  Now I've come full circle.  At the very least, let him compete in camp to see if Gailey has managed to turn him in to a serviceable player, giving them a shot at having a better situation than most teams at the no. 2 spot.

I am not at issue if Jets see him as a #2............

36 minutes ago, SouthernJet said:

I think he can 100% improve EXCEPT in area of Progression reads. You wither have ability coming out of college or dont. You can hone it in NFL if you have it, but sadly he never had it coming into league. I have SAME worry about Petty by the way........

Any examples of this? I know I've asked, and I know you've ignored, but the more you say this the more I would like to see examples of this alleged consistent lack of reading through progressions. 

2 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

No, Fitz wasnt good enough to start most of his games as an NFL QB even though he was a 7th rounder.  Let me provide you with the actual breakdown of Ryan Fitzpatrick's career. 

Rams. Coming into the eleventh game of the regular season in the second quarter against the Houston Texans to replace injured veteran journeyman Jaime Martin. Fitzpatrick led the Rams from a 24–3 halftime deficit to a 33–27 overtime win. He was unable to duplicate his debut performance in the games he started with the Rams and was replaced by Martin after halftime the following week. Fitz was traded to the Bengals for a 7th round pick. 

Bengals. Due to an injury to starting quarterback Carson Palmer, Fitzpatrick made his first Bengals start on September 28, 2008 against the Browns. Fitz lost 7 of his first 9 games with the bengals, only earning 1 win and the other game ending in a tie during that beginning stretch. Bengals released him at the end of the season and  he eventually signed as a FA with the Bills. 

Bills. Fitz made his first appearance on October 18, 2009 against the New York Jets when starter Trent Edwards went down with an injury, leading the Bills to a 16–13 overtime win, while throwing for 116 yards with a touchdown and an interception. Fitzpatrick started the following two games, resulting in a win over the Panthers and loss to the Texans. This was Fitzpatrick most stable stint of his career. He was ultimately released in 2013, just one year after signing a huge contract with the Bills. He ultimately signed with the Titans as a FA.

Titans. Fitzpatrick signed a two-year contract with the Tennessee Titans. He replaced Jake Locker for the Titans in Week 4 due to an injury in the third quarter. Fitzpatrick played in 11 games and started 9 of them. He finished the season with a 3–6 record as the starting quarterback, in which he was released on March 14, 2014 and replaced by Charlie Whitehurst. He only played one season with the Titans.

Texans.Fitzpatrick signed a two-year contract with the Houston Texans. He was named the Texans' starting quarterback by new Head Coach Bill O'Brien on June 17, but was demoted to second on the Houston Texans depth chart on November 5, 2014, replaced as starter by Ryan Mallett. On November 23, 2014 Mallett tore his pectoral muscle and Fitzpatrick was renamed the starter. Against the Colts Fitzpatrick scrambled for a two-yard gain, was tripped up, and ended up with a fractured tibia, ending his season. He was replaced by rookie Tom Savage. Houston traded Fitz to the Jets for a late round pick at the end of the season. 

Jets. Following an incident in the locker room, when starting quarterback Geno Smith was punched and left with a broken jaw (injury), Fitzpatrick was tentatively named the Week 1 starter for the Jets. Fitz had his best season statistically but is now unemployed because he wants to be paid like an actual starting QB. 

Ryan Fitzpatrick has NEVER earned a starting QB spot for any club he played for. The only time that he was close was in Houston, where he was then demoted to a back up role and replaced by Ryan Mallet. The only reason why Fitz has even played all of these games is because of injury. Everywhere he goes its as if the starting QB suddenly gets injured. I probably wouldnt sign him just based on that aura around him! lol. This has literally happened on every team Fitz has been on and THIS is ultimately why Fitz has started football games....NOT because he was considered "good enough" to receive the starting job by winning or earning it, and then keeping the job. Every team ultimately traded him or let him walk, with 3 of the 6 teams he played for releasing him after just 1 season. 

How do you have such criticism for a guy that has only played 2 seasons, and is still under a rookie deal in Geno Smith yet at the same time ignore all of this information provided above? Was his Jets performance REALLY that good?....I wouldnt say so especially looking at his performances against his former teams that we played as well as week 17 with the playoffs on the line. I can pretty much guarantee that your consistent praise for Fitzpatrick has more to do with your disdain for Geno then it actually has to do with Fitzpatrick.

You keep talking about the Jets wanting him back, okay, but they dont want him back at the price that he's requesting because they KNOW BETTER. You're only telling half the story. 

Now you know why this image exists.

fitzpatrick.jpg?quality=90&w=650&h=749

Good job Villain. You've tried (unsuccessfully) your best (and probably spent hours) attempting to make a guy who is a good player look like a bum. But the bottom line is he was named a starter out of training camp with 3 different teams and had 105 starts. And more important in 2015 he was one of the better starting Qbs in the NFL. And you want to get rid of him after being successful (and respected at least by the coaches and his teammates) for Geno Smith. The last part makes no sense at all. 

4 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Good job Villain. You've tried (unsuccessfully) your best (and probably spent hours) attempting to make a guy who is a good player look like a bum. But the bottom line is he was named a starter out of training camp with 3 different teams and had 105 starts. And more important in 2015 he was one of the better starting Qbs in the NFL. And you want to get rid of him after being successful (and respected at least by the coaches and his teammates) for Geno Smith. The last part makes no sense at all. 

Thanks. My job is to support my opinion when having a discussion. Anytime you're looking to support yours by "spending hours" putting it together, I'll respect the effort and read it. And he was named the starter every time, I repeat, EVERY TIME due to injury. Damn near all 105 of his starts came due injury of the starter. 

And speaking of bottomlines, the bottomline is that Fitzpatrick isnt a Jet. 

10 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

dont waste your time.. he's entered borderline Troll territory

20 minutes ago, SouthernJet said:

dont waste your time.. he's entered borderline Troll territory

Hey, dont talk to me indirectly like this. I asked simple questions such as "can you prove your statements?". 

You turned that into me trolling because I exposed that your problem is more about your feelings then actual football. You're a grown man that I've always respected on this site, certainly older than me, but right now you're acting like a child given a disagreement. 

If you think im trolling and you want to ignore, then do so. Dont act like a child by responding to someone else about me JUST so I can read the comment. Thats what trolls do as well as people who arent content with their decisions to actually ignore someone. 

Either talk football or ignore. 

7 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Hey, dont talk to me indirectly like this. I asked simple questions such as "can you prove your statements?". 

You turned that into me trolling because I exposed that your problem is more about your feelings then actual football. You're a grown man that I've always respected on this site, certainly older than me, but right now you're acting like a child given a disagreement. 

If you think im trolling and you want to ignore, then do so. Dont act like a child by responding to someone else about me JUST so I can read the comment. Thats what trolls do as well as people who arent content with their decisions to actually ignore someone. 

Either talk football or ignore. 

/

21 hours ago, Mike135 said:

No one but the J E T S Jets Jets Jets. 

20 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

What's hilarious is your support for Geno who has accomplished squat other than having the worst QB rating in the 2 years he started. Oh and of course there's the several embarrassing episodes he's been involved in as the 'leader and face' of this franchise.  I think he leads the NFL in that category too. ?

14 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

He's valuable as a backup and to me that's his immediate future in the NFL. I do not waste 2016 as a try out year for him. When we have the talent to win now. 

He'd back up the toilet. Other than that he's a useless, mindless, ego maniacal douchebag. I don't care how much potential he has. I don't care if he's never been given 'a fair chance'. I don't care if he was 'winning the job' in training camp last year. I don't care if he has an MVP year.  He's a POS, classless, wannabe who will never amount to anything in the NFL.  He's a child in a man's body and a birdbrain mentality.  He's an embarrassment to this organization and has been Mac's biggest mistake for keeping him on this roster.  He has done absolutely nothing in his 3 years here other than be the butt of NFL analysts jokes and derisive comments.  Why he is on this team is beyond reason.  Regardless, after 2016 it will be the end of any talk about Geno Smith being a starting QB and any ties to the Jets will be severed. You see I'm not a complete pessimist. There's hope and light at the end of the tunnel and it shines after the 2016 season is over and Geno Smith is GONE. 

1 minute ago, Powpow said:

He'd back up the toilet. Other than that he's a useless, mindless, ego maniacal douchebag. I don't care how much potential he has. I don't care if he's never been given 'a fair chance'. I don't care if he was 'winning the job' in training camp last year. I don't care if he has an MVP year.  He's a POS, classless, wannabe who will never amount to anything in the NFL.  He's a child in a man's body and a birdbrain mentality.  He's an embarrassment to this organization and has been Mac's biggest mistake for keeping him on this roster.  He has done absolutely nothing in his 3 years here other than be the butt of NFL analysts jokes and derisive comments.  Why he is on this team is beyond reason.  Regardless, after 2016 it will be the end of any talk about Geno Smith being a starting QB and any ties to the Jeys will be severed. You see I'm not a complete pessimist. There's hope and light at the end of the tunnel and it shines after the 2016 season is over and Geno Smith is GONE. 

He's had a fair chance. And the potential hasn't shown itself despite that fair chance. But I think he does have value at least for 2016. After that he'll be a free agent and hoperfully gone.

2 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

He's had a fair chance. And the potential hasn't shown itself despite that fair chance. But I think he does have value at least for 2016. After that he'll be a free agent and hoperfully gone.

he has not had a fair chance, he was rushed into starting when he shouldn't have been in 2013, 2014 was a disaster, we finally got talent around the QB last year and he got punched out killing any chances he had to start.

Archived