Cut Geno

johnnyjet

19 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Even Tannenbaum admitted it was stupid to give him that extension. You know the one that got Tanny fired,

that didn't get him fired, he was foolishly fired for one bad season where he put no talent around the QB preparing to make moves after that season.  the deal was fine, not surrounding the QB w/ talent was the mistake.,  if we had 2015 talent w/ Mark we are Super Bowl contenders.

• Replies 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

that didn't get him fired, he was foolishly fired for one bad season where he put no talent around the QB preparing to make moves after that season.  the deal was fine, not surrounding the QB w/ talent was the mistake.,  if we had 2015 talent w/ Mark we are Super Bowl contenders.

I heard him interviewed. He said the extension was a big mistake. He might have even said (I forget exactly) that it was a factor in him not being retained. He said he based the extension on stats Mark had (I believe over the previous two seasons). And said it wasn't a good move by him. I'm pretty sure that he said it helped get him fired. And at the time he was fired it was a big deal in the press (that signing of Mark).

6 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I agree, it's been proven you can't win w/ guys like Fitz.  still TBD on Geno.

You don't go into a year with a Qb TBD esp if the incumbent Qb had a good year. It makes no sense to tear up what was successful. And we did win with Fitz last year. If Fitz and other players had made plays on week 17 we're in. Or if we had the tiebreakers something Rex got lucky with in 2009. 3 teams with either 9 or 10 wins last season made the playoffs. 

I'm all for resigning Fritz at a reasonable cost, personally I think the $8 million is too much. In reality Fritz is only going to be here for one more year with any chance to start.

If they do sign Fritz I don't think they should hand him the starting job either, Geno should have a chance to compete,best player plays.

4 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I heard him interviewed. He said the extension was a big mistake. He might have even said (I forget exactly) that it was a factor in him not being retained. He said he based the extension on stats Mark had (I believe over the previous two seasons). And said it wasn't a good move by him. I'm pretty sure that he said it helped get him fired. And at the time he was fired it was a big deal in the press (that signing of Mark).

it doesn't matter what he said, his biggest mistake was not surrounding him w/ talent.  when he did early on they won, when he didn't in 2012 they stunk.  he went for it from '09-'11 and we got close, we had to bite the bullet for a year in 2012 but we made the mistake of firing him and hiring Idzik and that ruined everything.

2 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

You don't go into a year with a Qb TBD esp if the incumbent Qb had a good year. It makes no sense to tear up what was successful. And we did win with Fitz last year. If Fitz and other players had made plays on week 17 we're in. Or if we had the tiebreakers something Rex got lucky with in 2009. 3 teams with either 9 or 10 wins last season made the playoffs. 

you do if that old QB wants too much money.

tiebreakers went our way in 2009 but we WON the games needed to make it when we had destiny in our hands, we got a gift a week earlier when an awful Baltimore team beat Pitt then we gave it right back in Buffalo.

the AFC was weak last year, 10 wins were equivalent to 8 in a normal year, we couldn't take advantage of that creampuff sched.

17 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

it doesn't matter what he said, his biggest mistake was not surrounding him w/ talent.  when he did early on they won, when he didn't in 2012 they stunk.  he went for it from '09-'11 and we got close, we had to bite the bullet for a year in 2012 but we made the mistake of firing him and hiring Idzik and that ruined everything.

you do if that old QB wants too much money.

tiebreakers went our way in 2009 but we WON the games needed to make it when we had destiny in our hands, we got a gift a week earlier when an awful Baltimore team beat Pitt then we gave it right back in Buffalo.

the AFC was weak last year, 10 wins were equivalent to 8 in a normal year, we couldn't take advantage of that creampuff sched.

Mark Sanchez had over 60 starts with us and regressed big time after 2010. Since leaving the Jets he hasn't won a starting job in the NFL. He played ok in Philly. We'll see how he does in Denver. As for lack of talent I don't buy it. A Qb has to excel with what he has. And if that's the case why isn't it an excuse for Fitz too. His teams were losing teams. As for money I think he'll agree to less money on a one year deal. He only asked for 12 mil.

1 hour ago, Big Blocker said:

I disagree with this and with several of the points in the post you quoted.

Regarding Idzik, while there is something to the notion that with some moves he favored the long term over the short, there are two things wrong with concluding that this was the reason he was fired.  The main reason he was fired was he drafted very badly.  For example he drafted Smith, which was a disastrous move, and then doubled on that move his second draft by failing to pick Bridgewater or Carr because he'd just picked Smith.  But that is only an example of his overall awful drafts.  Second it's not really true that he consistently played the long game, as in the signings of Harvin and Decker (which ftr was imo on Decker the best move he made).  And then the way it played out there was the signing of Vick, which imo was a grossly mismanaged situation.  I would also add not even trying to sign Revis, but imo that was on Woody.

Next I don't think there IS any long game on Smith.  The odds of him ever improving to an acceptable level are so slim as to not be worth considering.

Next I think it absurd both to discount the prospects for the overall season, and to think that Smith would obtain similar results to Fitzpatrick if he was played instead of RF.  That pov is based on nothing, certainly not past performance.

As for the issue of the public perception, I actually think most fans wrongly think the FO has made a fair offer to RF when it has not, and as of now the fans tend more to favor the FO position than RF's.  But that will change if RF is not signed, Smith plays, and the Jets suck.  The reason the FO faces the risk of losing the fanbase at that point is that they will rightly be viewed as having failed to address the Qb situation in an acceptable way this off season.  Add in issues with Wilkerson and the end result will be that this off season will be a failure.  Macc and the FO have a certain amount of goodwill with the fans right now.  But that will quickly change if Smith is the starter and Wilkerson's situation is unresolved.  To be clear Wilkerson's situation will not override a return by RF, if that happens.  But the two together imo will be too much for Macc to overcome.  I'm not predicting that means he will be fired, at least this year.  But he runs that risk.

I agree with you (and me actually, it was in my post)  that poor drafting was the biggest reason Idzik was fired but playing the long game and trying to disentangle himself from Rex was not nothing either.  In the end he was fired for any and all of the above.

We also agree on the ceiling for Geno Smith but others are not so convinced.  The Irish sweepstakes ticket if you will.  Maybe in a year when we are not going anywhere anyway (my opinion) we should give him one more chance in order to find out for sure if there is not a diamond in there or not.  I doubt there is a diamond but it is a legitimate point of view to hold.

As to the offer for Fitzpatrick I think both sides feel that their position is the "fair" one.  From Fitzpatrick's point of view why sign a deal which makes you the starter of convenience for one year but gives the team the option in years two and three to remove you from that role AND to lower your salary to that of a backup?  He thinks he earned the starting gig and that nobody else would ever sign such a deal as that.

15 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Mark Sanchez had over 60 starts with us and regressed big time after 2010. Since leaving the Jets he hasn't won a starting job in the NFL. He played ok in Philly. We'll see how he does in Denver. As for lack of talent I don't buy it. A Qb has to excel with what he has. And if that's the case why isn't it an excuse for Fitz too. His teams were losing teams. As for money I think he'll agree to less money on a one year deal. He only asked for 12 mil.

why did he regress?  2010 was his best year, 2011 was his best #s year but we went from Braylon and Cotch to Plax fresh out of jail and Derrick Mason.  in 2012 his main weapons were Chaz Schilens, rookie Stephen Hill and Clyde Gates and people wonder why he regressed.

2 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

why did he regress?  2010 was his best year, 2011 was his best #s year but we went from Braylon and Cotch to Plax fresh out of jail and Derrick Mason.  in 2012 his main weapons were Chaz Schilens, rookie Stephen Hill and Clyde Gates and people wonder why he regressed.

I saw the games in 2011 and the second half of the year he was horrible. And his turnovers lost us games. 2012 not just bad, terrible. He has a great chance in 2016 to resurrect his career. Let's see if he even makes the team. As for the Schillens comments the guy wasn't our number one receiver Holmes was. Schillens was a legit NFL receiver. He was capable of making plays and had an NFL resume. The talent on offense wasn't good but during seasons there are injuries and teams and Qbs are expected to play well with next man up. And Mark lost us more games with turnovers that were on him than guys like Schillens did. 

12 million for Fitz with his market appeal is damn outrageous. I understand you start high and settle lower when negotiating, but in reality he is worth what the market says he worth. Which is some what closer to his original backup deal with the club.

We all must recognize that no one is kicking Fitz's door down (at this time) to offer him a better deal, to not sign with the Jets.

At some point very soon one side or the other will have settle or move on. Training camp opens in two weeks, if Geno is getting all the reps with the ones, do you dump him for a player who has been M.I.A all thru the offseason program.

At some point the team needs to commit to Geno and bring in another veteran who can push Geno further and be a solid backup if needed. Plus this could be done at a max of five million between both QB's Geno's one plus four or less for the backup.

Then they could get serious about signing Wilkerson or maybe some other solid player of need who might become available during camp.

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

I saw the games in 2011 and the second half of the year he was horrible. And his turnovers lost us games. 2012 not just bad, terrible. He has a great chance in 2016 to resurrect his career. Let's see if he even makes the team. As for the Schillens comments the guy wasn't our number one receiver Holmes was. Schillens was a legit NFL receiver. He was capable of making plays and had an NFL resume. The talent on offense wasn't good but during seasons there are injuries and teams and Qbs are expected to play well with next man up. And Mark lost us more games with turnovers that were on him than guys like Schillens did. 

he had his moments the 2nd half, the D really killed us.  In 2011 he was decent, middle of the pack.  in 2012 he was one of the worst QBs in the league but again look at what he had around him.

Holmes got hurt week 4, we were 2-1 in games he started.

schilens started 19 games in oakland for terrible raider teams, his career high in recs was 28.  he had 29 w/ Mark so he got as much out of him as he could but Schilens should be a 4th WR on a good team not a #1 or 2.

it's easy to say next man up when you have talent around you, he had nothing around him once Keller and Holmes were hurt(Keller was hurt basically all year).  again, we were 2-1 before Holmes got hurt, finished the season at 6-10 after he got hurt.

1 minute ago, fltflo said:

12 million for Fitz with his market appeal is damn outrageous. I understand you start high and settle lower when negotiating, but in reality he is worth what the market says he worth. Which is some what closer to his original backup deal with the club.

We all must recognize that no one is kicking Fitz's door down (at this time) to offer him a better deal, to not sign with the Jets.

At some point very soon one side or the other will have settle or move on. Training camp opens in two weeks, if Geno is getting all the reps with the ones, do you dump him for a player who has been M.I.A all thru the offseason program.

At some point the team needs to commit to Geno and bring in another veteran who can push Geno further and be a solid backup if needed. Plus this could be done at a max of five million between both QB's Geno's one plus four or less for the backup.

Then they could get serious about signing Wilkerson or maybe some other solid player of need who might become available during camp.

If you're looking for the cheapest Qb available then you have him in Geno. As for knowing the offense Fitz is the only Qb who during the regular season ran it successfully. Practices and OTAs don't mean a lot. If the team was confident with Geno and didn't think Fitz gave us our best chance to win they would have given the starting job to Geno. 

6 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

he had his moments the 2nd half, the D really killed us.  In 2011 he was decent, middle of the pack.  in 2012 he was one of the worst QBs in the league but again look at what he had around him.

Holmes got hurt week 4, we were 2-1 in games he started.

schilens started 19 games in oakland for terrible raider teams, his career high in recs was 28.  he had 29 w/ Mark so he got as much out of him as he could but Schilens should be a 4th WR on a good team not a #1 or 2.

it's easy to say next man up when you have talent around you, he had nothing around him once Keller and Holmes were hurt(Keller was hurt basically all year).  again, we were 2-1 before Holmes got hurt, finished the season at 6-10 after he got hurt.

So what about the skill position players on the teams Fitz played on. Again I don't buy these excuses for Sanchez, Fitz or any Qb. It is expected that they play well and lead the team even after injuries and with recently signed players. That doesn't mean the team will make the playoffs. It's not always the Qbs fault. In 2011 and 2012 it wasn't Jets teammates that caused those turnovers. 

Just now, Rangers9 said:

So what about the skill position players on the teams Fitz played on. Again I don't buy these excuses for Sanchez, Fitz or any Qb. It is expected that they play well and lead the team even after injuries and with recently signed players. That doesn't mean the team will make the playoffs. It's not always the Qbs fault. In 2011 and 2012 it wasn't Jets teammates that caused those turnovers. 

last year he had top 5 weapons in the league, in Buffalo he had excellent talent to throw to.  In Cincy he had Chad Johnson, in Houston he had a ton of talent, the only stop on his journeyman tour where he didn't have a ton of talent to throw to was Tennessee and that talent blew away what the Jets had 2012-2014.

2 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

last year he had top 5 weapons in the league, in Buffalo he had excellent talent to throw to.  In Cincy he had Chad Johnson, in Houston he had a ton of talent, the only stop on his journeyman tour where he didn't have a ton of talent to throw to was Tennessee and that talent blew away what the Jets had 2012-2014.

The teams Fitz played for like any team had some talent but were not good teams. Not easy being a starting Qb when your origins were as a 7th round draft pick out of Harvard. Obviously you're going to be at the bottom of the totem pole and last on the depth chart. Yet the guy has been the announced starting Qb for 3 franchises and started 105 games. Mark Sanchez walked in on day one and was the starter and with no real competition. They just gave him the job from the start. We did not have top 5 talent. But the Qb and how he relates to teammates esp his top receivers is a huge part of their success. 

2 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

The teams Fitz played for like any team had some talent but were not good teams. Not easy being a starting Qb when your origins were as a 7th round draft pick out of Harvard. Obviously you're going to be at the bottom of the totem pole and last on the depth chart. Yet the guy has been the announced starting Qb for 3 franchises and started 105 games. Mark Sanchez walked in on day one and was the starter and with no real competition. They just gave him the job from the start. We did not have top 5 talent. But the Qb and how he relates to teammates esp his top receivers is a huge part of their success. 

unlike the real competiton a year ago for Fitz, right?  mark walked through the door and as a rookie we were a game away from the Super Bowl.  a year ago w/ a similarly talented team against a creampuff sched a vet Fitz couldn't get us to the playoffs.

If you're looking for the cheapest Qb available then you have him in Geno. As for knowing the offense Fitz is the only Qb who during the regular season ran it successfully. Practices and OTAs don't mean a lot. If the team was confident with Geno and didn't think Fitz gave us our best chance to win they would have given the starting job to Geno. 

I think the CS intention was to see what they had in Geno last season. I would be the first to agree that what happen was totally stupid and preventable. It showed very poor leadership skills and a large amount of immaturity. Yet , I also think the other player is just as much at fault for throwing the punch and showed just as much immaturity as Geno.

Yet, in some ways it may have been the best thing to happen for Geno's career moving forward. I certainly think we all could agree it was quite a wake up call.

The kid has really been working his butt off this offseason. Even thought some here blow it off,he has been front and center for the team all thru the offseason. He has been putting in the time on his own as well. He is showing he is serious about his chosen profession, and if he does fail, no one will ever be able to accuse him of not giving it everything he had. All a man can do is give it his best effort, this allows him to lol in the mirror each day and know he did his best. I think this speaks volumes for where Geno is at this point with his maturity

As far as not starting Geno when he was healthy, Fitz was playing well and if your any kind of coach you don't try to fix something that's working well

At the time.

Just now, nyjunc said:

unlike the real competiton a year ago for Fitz, right?  mark walked through the door and as a rookie we were a game away from the Super Bowl.  a year ago w/ a similarly talented team against a creampuff sched a vet Fitz couldn't get us to the playoffs.

We backed into the playoffs that year and got in with 9 Ws. That part was luck. Mark's 4 Ws in playoff games was earned. If we had luck last year with 10 Ws we might have backed in. As it was 2 other teams with 10 Ws got in and one with 9. We had a successful year and I don't care what some of these guys are saying. We have a good team and if we're smart we go for it with our best players which includes Fitz. Next year we might not have as good a team. We lost one major player so far on D and if Mac had traded Wilk it would have been 2. And that could still happen. Plus who knows how much longer we'll have guys like Harris, etc. And how much longer do we have Marshall. 

8 minutes ago, fltflo said:

I think the CS intention was to see what they had in Geno last season. I would be the first to agree that what happen was totally stupid and preventable. It showed very poor leadership skills and a large amount of immaturity. Yet , I also think the other player is just as much at fault for throwing the punch and showed just as much immaturity as Geno.

Yet, in some ways it may have been the best thing to happen for Geno's career moving forward. I certainly think we all could agree it was quite a wake up call.

The kid has really been working his butt off this offseason. Even thought some here blow it off,he has been front and center for the team all thru the offseason. He has been putting in the time on his own as well. He is showing he is serious about his chosen profession, and if he does fail, no one will ever be able to accuse him of not giving it everything he had. All a man can do is give it his best effort, this allows him to lol in the mirror each day and know he did his best. I think this speaks volumes for where Geno is at this point with his maturity

As far as not starting Geno when he was healthy, Fitz was playing well and if your any kind of coach you don't try to fix something that's working well

At the time.

Geno can still have a career but it is up to him whether or not it's a good career and as a starter or a backup. As for the Jets in 2016 why should he be the starter when he hasn't earned it. All elements of the team want Fitz back. I think if Fitz does come back a good chance that Geno will play in 2016. Fitz has broken bones the past two seasons and he plays an open game and takes chances esp running the ball. Geno played one game in 2015 and was only fair. And his team lost by 2 Tds. It was our worst game of the year.

I also wanted to comment on the looking for the cheapest QB comment.

I hope we all can agree that we don't wish to pay starters value to a QB who mostly likely will spend the bulk of the remainder of his career acting as coach an mentor to his younger counterparts.

One must conclude from the stance that the club is taking with Fitz this year, that they really don't see him as a long-term quarterback.

So my point about what it would cost us for both quarterbacks, is basically not paying starters money to a guy that's basically you're back up quarterback.

When they make a decision on who's going to be the long term franchise starter, then you pay him the money.

4 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Geno can still have a career but it is up to him whether or not it's a good career and as a starter or a backup. As for the Jets in 2016 why should he be the starter when he hasn't earned it. All elements of the team want Fitz back. I think if Fitz does come back a good chance that Geno will play in 2016. Fitz has broken bones the past two seasons and he plays an open game and takes chances esp running the ball. Geno played one game in 2015 and was only fair. And his team lost by 2 Tds. It was our worst game of the year.

So you blame that loss on Geno but give Fitz a pass when he sh*t the bed not once but TWICE against Buffalo?  Including with the Playoffs on the line.  Unreal, the guy comes in cold off the bench and has a "fair" to use your term game. Oakland was playing very well at the time, prior to Fitz injury, they were already dominating us especially offensively.  Sorry but our worst game of the year was the last game of the season when Fitz and the team choked away the playoffs.  

3 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

So you blame that loss on Geno but give Fitz a pass when he sh*t the bed not once but TWICE against Buffalo?  Including with the Playoffs on the line.  Unreal, the guy comes in cold off the bench and has a "fair" to use your term game. Oakland was playing very well at the time, prior to Fitz injury, they were already dominating us especially offensively.  Sorry but our worst game of the year was the last game of the season when Fitz and the team choked away the playoffs.  

No, our worst game was vs Oakland. Not all Geno's fault but the truth is the team didn't play well (after Fitz left) that day in all phases and please no more excuses for Geno. Week 17 we were in that game all the way and lost by 5 and had possession with 44 seconds left. Fitz also was coming off of an injury started the season and played well. The team plays better with him and key players have said they want him back. Even Willie Colon said the Jets first priority should be re-signing Fitz. There is no logical reason to start Geno. He is just not a good player. 

Fitz will either sign before Training Camp or he's GONE and Geno will be the starter.

If Geno tanks, we'll keep sending him out there until week 10 or 11 and then send in Petty to get his OH-SO valuable live game experience. 

Hindenburg won't see the field until MAYBE game 15 or 16, nothing more. Hindenburg will start in 2017.

33 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

No, our worst game was vs Oakland. Not all Geno's fault but the truth is the team didn't play well (after Fitz left) that day in all phases and please no more excuses for Geno. Week 17 we were in that game all the way and lost by 5 and had possession with 44 seconds left. Fitz also was coming off of an injury started the season and played well. The team plays better with him and key players have said they want him back. Even Willie Colon said the Jets first priority should be re-signing Fitz. There is no logical reason to start Geno. He is just not a good player. 

No excuses for Geno who is only going into is 4th season, but plenty for the 11 year vet. I get it.   The team plays better with Fitz?? Are you serious? What did he have to do with the offensive and defensive additions that were made? Is it possible that the team played better because the TEAM WAS BETTER?   Key players say the want him back and now those same key players are saying they are fine with Geno starting.  So which do you choose to believe?   BTW **** Willie Colon; if it were up to him, we would have signed Fitz for Osweiller money.  This a logical reason to start Geno; he is only 25, cheap and the best qb currently on the roster. 

35 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Fitz will either sign before Training Camp or he's GONE and Geno will be the starter.

If Geno tanks, we'll keep sending him out there until week 10 or 11 and then send in Petty to get his OH-SO valuable live game experience. 

Hindenburg won't see the field until MAYBE game 15 or 16, nothing more. Hindenburg will start in 2017.

Fitz can sign anytime.  He has our playbook basically memorized.

2 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

No excuses for Geno who is only going into is 4th season, but plenty for the 11 year vet. I get it.   The team plays better with Fitz?? Are you serious? What did he have to do with the offensive and defensive additions that were made? Is it possible that the team played better because the TEAM WAS BETTER?   Key players say the want him back and now those same key players are saying they are fine with Geno starting.  So which do you choose to believe?   BTW **** Willie Colon; if it were up to him, we would have signed Fitz for Osweiller money.  This a logical reason to start Geno; he is only 25, cheap and the best qb currently on the roster. 

Fitz isn't asking for Osweiller money he asked for 12 mil. The players aren't going to diss Geno but none of them said he should be the starter. The ones who have talked to the press said they want Fitz back. Willie Colon was on that team. They won ten games which was a plus six and had a good enough record to make the playoffs. Geno isn't the best Qb on any team. He was rated worst in the NFL two years running. And you want to start him. 

3 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Fitz isn't asking for Osweiller money he asked for 12 mil. The players aren't going to diss Geno but none of them said he should be the starter. The ones who have talked to the press said they want Fitz back. Willie Colon was on that team. They won ten games which was a plus six and had a good enough record to make the playoffs. Geno isn't the best Qb on any team. He was rated worst in the NFL two years running. And you want to start him. 

One of those years Geno's top receivers were Kellen friggin Winslow and Clyde Gates. 

Even in 2014 when Geno was supposedly the worst qb in the history of football he had 13 td's 13 int's 59.7 completion percentage those aren't terrible numbers.

Just now, Rangers9 said:

It is natural for players to want the "starter" back.  Why wouldn't they?  When it appears he may not be coming back, they will rally around "next man up" who is this case was actually the projected starter in the first place before the Punch.   Jets offered him 12 to be starter the first year and back up money the next two. He rejected so **** him.    You have not seen Geno play a full game with the weapons on this team, and he has sat for a full season.  To pretend you KNOW how bad he is based on some stupid rating two years ago, simply shows your bias.     The team won ten games against a cup cake schedule and when it counted, and needed the fearless leader to step up, he sh*t the bed not once but twice.   

Willie Colon is not the GM so I really could care less what he thinks. Mac doesn't think he is worth it but some how you want to focus on freaking Willie Colon, lol.    

1 minute ago, JetBlue said:

It is natural for players to want the "starter" back.  Why wouldn't they?  When it appears he may not be coming back, they will rally around "next man up" who is this case was actually the projected starter in the first place before the Punch.   Jets offered him 12 to be starter the first year and back up money the next two. He rejected so **** him.    You have not seen Geno play a full game with the weapons on this team, and he has sat for a full season.  To pretend you KNOW how bad he is based on some stupid rating two years ago, simply shows your bias.     The team won ten games against a cup cake schedule and when it counted, and needed the fearless leader to step up, he sh*t the bed not once but twice.   

Willie Colon is not the GM so I really could care less what he thinks. Mac doesn't think he is worth it but some how you want to focus on freaking Willie Colon, lol.    

Colon is just mad Mac didn't offer him another contract so he's throwing him under the bus

6 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Colon is just mad Mac didn't offer him another contract so he's throwing him under the bus

Anyone who states that signing Fitzpatrick should have been the teams TOP priority (Mo Wilk anyone), has lost all credibility with me. 

15 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

What do you mean. What about the Oakland game. With him we got trounced. In all other games we won ten and lost 5 by 7 and under. If we don't sign Fitz, Geno is next man up. But he isn't our BAP at Qb. Not by a mile.

11 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

What do you mean. What about the Oakland game. With him we got trounced. In all other games we won ten and lost 5 by 7 and under. If we don't sign Fitz, Geno is next man up. But he isn't our BAP at Qb. Not by a mile.

I don't know why you guys point to the Raider game.   No starters practices, cold, against a good team, a west coast trip and Geno throws 2-1 TD/INT, more yardage than an average Fitz game, 59% comp and a higher QR than Fitz.  They didn't win but he was very Fitz liked .

but we hear that they lost by a few more points than Fitz usually does and the stupid sack where he let himself get hit.  Stupid because Fitz already got knocked out.  Lol

2 hours ago, EM31 said:

I agree with you (and me actually, it was in my post)  that poor drafting was the biggest reason Idzik was fired but playing the long game and trying to disentangle himself from Rex was not nothing either.  In the end he was fired for any and all of the above.

We also agree on the ceiling for Geno Smith but others are not so convinced.  The Irish sweepstakes ticket if you will.  Maybe in a year when we are not going anywhere anyway (my opinion) we should give him one more chance in order to find out for sure if there is not a diamond in there or not.  I doubt there is a diamond but it is a legitimate point of view to hold.

As to the offer for Fitzpatrick I think both sides feel that their position is the "fair" one.  From Fitzpatrick's point of view why sign a deal which makes you the starter of convenience for one year but gives the team the option in years two and three to remove you from that role AND to lower your salary to that of a backup?  He thinks he earned the starting gig and that nobody else would ever sign such a deal as that.

Fair enough, you did mention other factors, but I thought the implication was that playing the long game was more significant than I felt it was, but I'll take this as a clarification.

Smith's upside is within the realm of possibility.  But it is so unlikely as to be not worth it.  There's just too much to overcome, too much to hand the team over to him for yet another chance, and too much for people to by any logical deduction become Smith Fans.  Yet there they are.  It is.... troubling.

9 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I don't know why you guys point to the Raider game.   No starters practices, cold, against a good team, a west coast trip and Geno throws 2-1 TD/INT, more yardage than an average Fitz game.

but we hear that they lost by a few more points than Fitz usually does and the stupid sack where he let himself get hit.  Stupid because Fitz already got knocked out.  Lol

He got a chance to play. What are these being cold excuses. Backups come in all the time and play well. He was ok but the team played poorly. If we're going to make statements and comparisons that game is in the mix. The team played better when Fitz started. And that was the CS's decision.

Archived